Oil changes - Diesel Pick Up

naboo

I have a 2011 Ford Ranger 2.5l TDi Commonrail. I followed the Ford servicing recommendations through the warranty period but am now quite happy not to be visiting Ford showrooms anymore.

I went to a service centre I have used with previous cars for an oil change 7 months ago. They had a choice of Castrol GTX (don't remember which) and Castrol Magnatec 10W-40. I was told the GTX was good for 5000km and the Magnatec good for 10,000km. I took the Magnatec at 1300B inc filter as opposed to 950B including filter change for the GTX.

Yesterday, I realised 10,000km were up and I was going to be doing about 2000km before returning home, and so I stopped at a local service shop in Nakhon Nowhere and they had a choice of Castrol GTX 10W-30 or Castrol GTX 20W-50. Both were labelled as for diesel engines and the staff told me the 20W-50 was better for commonrail injection. It was 750B plus 200B for a new filter. The staff told me it was good for 5000km if I was carrying heavy loads, 8000km if light loads but in generally city driving and short distances, and 12,000km if generally longer drives without load. I commute to work daily, 20km each way, with the occasional trip of 700km down to Bangkok, then back. I drive at 90kmph on the commute and 110kmph on the trips to Bangkok. The truck is used for little else.

My questions:

Is 10,000km a suitable oil change interval for a 2.5l diesel truck?

Is the Castrol GTX going to last the 10,000km or should I switch it out after 2000km when I get home?

I have read in some places that changing the filter every oil change is not necessary. At 200B a pop, I don't care, but yesterday it ended up being an hour wait as the guy had to get his mrs to go and pick one up from the next town. Is it really necessary, or could I just miss a filter change for convenience?

I bought this truck new and plan to run it for 20 years. All advice appreciated.

Yes, you could have missed the filter change and saved the wait for one.

The oil is the most important thing to change within the intervals recommended.

If i were you i would go to a Ford service centre and buy yourself a few oil filters

to keep on board to have as and when you need to change them.

Castrol is a good quality brand but i would still change the oil every 6000km.

Diesel (Turbo) engines contaminate engine oil quicker than petrol engines.

I have just sold my 2011 2.5 Ranger and would stick with what Ford recommend as they know better than anyone.

Well, through their servicing during the warranty period, having to change the air filter twice suggested to me that they were just after a bit more cash - both used air filters have been blasted with air and are as good as new, sat hoping the truck lasts long enough to actually get some more use out of them both.

I want to look after my truck, but I don't want to go to unnecessary lengths.

Is 10,000km a suitable oil change interval for a 2.5l diesel truck?

Is the Castrol GTX going to last the 10,000km or should I switch it out after 2000km when I get home?

I have read in some places that changing the filter every oil change is not necessary. At 200B a pop, I don't care, but yesterday it ended up being an hour wait as the guy had to get his mrs to go and pick one up from the next town. Is it really necessary, or could I just miss a filter change for convenience?

I bought this truck new and plan to run it for 20 years. All advice appreciated.

Changing the oil filter is necessary and I change my oil plus filter every 5,000 km. Got 276,500 km on the clock and the engine's like a Swiss clockwork. My truck is a 2.8 l Mitsu L 200, never fully loaded, but the hot climate makes it completely different to driving around in Europe.

The changing air filter so often is just a money making thing. Take it out from time to time, use some compressed air and clean it.

Many places don't let all the old oil drain completely, the screw is magnetic and usually full with metal particles. Good mechanics let it drain until the last drop's out, clean the screw as well and do not overfill.

Too much oil can be as bad as not enough oil. Killing O-rings, because the pressure gets too high. Make sure that they don't overfill.

When I go to another place for an oil change, i always have to tell them to only fill in 5.5 l, not 6. And let them know that i have time and want all old oil out. If they don't clean the screw, I do it by my own.

A 2.5 TD has to work way harder than a 2.8 liter non Turbo engine. I reckon to change it every 6- 7,000 km, regardless what people are telling you.

And when looking at this "Ford oil", it puts a smile in my face, as they don't produce oil. They only put their name on and sell you some ordinary overpriced oil with the name Ford on it.

Finally, I'd got with the 10 W 30 oil. Cheers-thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

My old Ranger ran noticeably better with a new air filter especially in dusty Isaan. As for the overpriced oil at Ford, it was always a lot cheaper than I could buy it for. Finally, changing oil and not changing the oil filter is stupid for the sake of a couple of hundred baht and something I would never do.

The older diesels with the older fuel systems soot up the oil quickly. The newer diesels are much more efficient and the oil stays cleaner. Old diesel or new diesel, I would never put new oil through a dirty filter. Follow the manual for the best results.

2002 Ford Ranger w/2.6 TD engine. Oil change every 6k km, quit going to Ford about five years ago due to incompetence of chief mechanic there. Now my local dirty-hands shop who is really very good, the old style mechanic. Now 138k km, engine smooth as can be. Generally light usage around Phuket, with some longer trips. Much construction dust here so air filter change is necessary, and of cource new oil filter at time of oil change.

I have just sold my 2011 2.5 Ranger and would stick with what Ford recommend as they know better than anyone.

Well, through their servicing during the warranty period, having to change the air filter twice suggested to me that they were just after a bit more cash - both used air filters have been blasted with air and are as good as new, sat hoping the truck lasts long enough to actually get some more use out of them both.

I want to look after my truck, but I don't want to go to unnecessary lengths.

I believe that by "Ford" Jase was referring to what is recommended in the manual, not the dealership selling you extra air filters.

One needs to be careful "blasting" air filters with compressed air...it is fairly easy to unknowingly damage the paper element, with predictable results.

Surely the collective here on ThaiVisa would know better than those stupid stupid engineers at Ford.

True, but it depends how many large Changs had been consumed before the informative post was made.

I get my truck serviced every 5000 Klms, change engine oil,oil filter,

air filter,AND diesel filter,thats important because the diesel is not

good quality here,and sure it will have particles and maybe water

in it. the price for this service in very reasonable,so why not.I also

started to add STP diesel additive,and I am sure its running better,

before I used Redex, and did not see any difference.

regards worgeordie

My old Ranger ran noticeably better with a new air filter especially in dusty Isaan. As for the overpriced oil at Ford, it was always a lot cheaper than I could buy it for. Finally, changing oil and not changing the oil filter is stupid for the sake of a couple of hundred baht and something I would never do.

Gotta disagree with you on that one. It's not stupid. It's insane when you make an oil change without the filer change.

It's like when foreigners don't shower for a week, because it's too cold ( in the village without hot water), but they put new clothes on.It doesn't change a lot, they still smell shitty, right?

All provinces have their shops where you can buy very cheap oil and filters.

When you change it every 5- 7,000 km, you do not have to think about where the oil filter was made. i never buy genuine Mitsubishi parts.

( Sorry, only important parts, like the timing chain, etc..)

The Chinese version always does its job for me.

6 l of good oil 650 baht, plus 180 for the filter.I use the same freaking oil for our Yamaha 110 cc motorbike that has already 60 K on the clock.

Would the oil be not good, why is the Yamaha running so nice after such a mileage? Using Diesel oil for a motorbike doesn't matter. All you need is a constant oil film.

There's really too much about oil quality. Wouldn't say something if you're driving formula ONE.....facepalm.gif

Then 80 baht for the change at Esso in Sisaket.

There's a nice coffee shop with a hot and single girl and I refresh my Thai there from time to time.God, the legs and backside.... wub.png

P.S. I'm a liar, I only go there because they have free Internet. Missus behind me........facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Regardless of the super name of an oil I would go bye what the actual oil is AND what the rides manufacturer says for it's engine is to survive.

Personally I would use a 10/40 in LOS cos the oil never thickens when not in use, the engine is always warm.

5000k for mineral, 10000k for semi and 10/15000k for full syn. Filter should always be changed with new oil in case it has a bye-pass valve, which many have. If you are a bit late with an oil change the engine will not detonate...smile.png

Plus a backup for drive c, please.......thumbsup.gif