Honda PCX v Yamaha N Max

Just Curious

5 minutes ago, Winkburn said:

I feel my Nmax is a bit rough at extremely low parking lot speeds

My bike also had that since it was new, recently i changed the drivebelt and noticed the automatic clutch had worn out pieces, don't know their name but they are small round rings which should be able to turn around and one of them was far from round anymore.

I guess this damaged before i bought the bike (it was new though) so maybe the shopguys took it for a very rough spin to test it....

Now those parts are replaced and it drives very smooth at superlow speeds.

My drivebelt had loads of cracks and sure had to get replaced at 20k km..so don't wait too long with maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2017 at 4:24 PM, leonidpattayski said:

PCX has no ABS, very easy to lock front wheel and kiss a  road.

Sadly, the current PCX model doesn't have ABS - hopefully Honda will correct this - but doesn't Honda's CBS (Combined Braking System) also help to reduce the likelihood of wheel lockups? :mellow:

1 hour ago, Ahnsahn said:

Sadly, the current PCX model doesn't have ABS - hopefully Honda will correct this - but doesn't Honda's CBS (Combined Braking System) also help to reduce the likelihood of wheel lockups? :mellow:

Only Honda seems to use this silly CBS system , on some of its lower level scooters. Its more likely to induce a front wheel lock-up or a low-side crash , as the front brake comes on when you apply/drag the rear brake , going into a corner. Not what is needed. ABS , true ABS , is a good feature. As per Yamaha  etc.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2017 at 9:54 PM, Ahnsahn said:

CBS is a useful feature, just to make things work easier. You press one brake and it automatically brakes with two wheels. No need to press two brakes with both hands. Unfortunately it does not help with wheel lockups. I would like to see more scooters and big bikes have CBS and ABS at the same time.

20 hours ago, leonidpattayski said:

CBS is a useful feature, just to make things work easier. You press one brake and it automatically brakes with two wheels. No need to press two brakes with both hands. Unfortunately it does not help with wheel lockups. I would like to see more scooters and big bikes have CBS and ABS at the same time.

IMO, CBS is a pointless feature. From what I know of Honda CBS is that it does 100% of rear brake and something like 30% front brake. This is not really going to help much when you need it most, so you need to pull on your front brake lever to get any decent stopping power. I had a Honda with CBS so I know.

It is unlikely to cause front wheel lock BUT going into a corner too fast, ANY front brake while in the corner is potentially dangerous. Add any slippery surface to that too.

If one isn't capable of operating a simple separate braking system safely, then one shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a motorcycle.

Edited by macknife
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

macknife , i agree. When banked in a corner , ANY front brake needs careful application. I dont want ANY front brake to suddenly come on , if i decide i want a little rear brake. Its as if Honda decided its customers are too stupid to learn that the front brake lever operates the front brake , and the rear brake lever/pedal operates the rear brake. I find that a bit of an insult. Maybe they have a point. Plenty of other bikes out there now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, leonidpattayski said:

PCX is not in sale anymore. Nmax won the battle:)

Source? ;)

For sure they would not just stop selling the pcx, but a redesign and name change would of course be possible, even though i think "pcx" has a good reputation and don't see a reason why they should change it.

On 10/8/2017 at 12:06 AM, leonidpattayski said:

PCX is not in sale anymore. Nmax won the battle:)

Source??  :-l

On 10/8/2017 at 1:48 PM, jackdd said:

Source? ;)

For sure they would not just stop selling the pcx, but a redesign and name change would of course be possible, even though i think "pcx" has a good reputation and don't see a reason why they should change it.

:thumbsup:

Exactly!!

On 10/8/2017 at 3:09 PM, MINIMIGLIA said:

Maybe to have a massive update and price reduction to stay competitive with the better Yamaha products?

Honda, keeping it's cards close to its chest, plans to unveil its 2018 PCX 150 at the Tokyo Auto Show later this month!

If the new PCX 150 has ABS and dual disc brakes ........ :whistling:

Hopefully, an updated Forza 300 will be unveiled there also!!

On 9/27/2017 at 8:16 PM, macknife said:

IMO, CBS is a pointless feature. From what I know of Honda CBS is that it does 100% of rear brake and something like 30% front brake. This is not really going to help much when you need it most, so you need to pull on your front brake lever to get any decent stopping power. I had a Honda with CBS so I know.

It is unlikely to cause front wheel lock BUT going into a corner too fast, ANY front brake while in the corner is potentially dangerous. Add any slippery surface to that too.

If one isn't capable of operating a simple separate braking system safely, then one shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a motorcycle.

for actual riders it is, but I've had numerous people say to me here "i dont use the front brake" to which i think 'how the flock do you ride like that and not crash into something'......so for many like that its probably a good thing............but your correct they really shouldnt be riding

• Like 2

On 9.10.2017 at 7:16 PM, Ahnsahn said:

Source??  :-l

:thumbsup:

Exactly!!

Honda, keeping it's cards close to its chest, plans to unveil its 2018 PCX 150 at the Tokyo Auto Show later this month!

If the new PCX 150 has ABS and dual disc brakes ........ :whistling:

Hopefully, an updated Forza 300 will be unveiled there also!!

Source?

2 hours ago, MrJ said:

on the pics still rear drum brakes.....

Right you are, 'Hawkeye'!

The picture is not of an actual 2018 PCX. The article cleverly tries to  mask the fact that Honda has not released any details about its 2018 PCX - stunning in itself.... The article concludes with "October is here to watch." Unlike this translated article, other 2018 PCX articles overtly state that they are speculating and that we all will have to wait until the October 2017 Tokyo's Motor Show to learn what the actual 2018 PCX will look like.

17 hours ago, MrJ said:

on the pics still rear drum brakes.....

The poster before just said "IF the new pcx...", he never claimed that it will have. So we just wait for 3 more weeks than we will know what it really have and if it's a competition to the NMAX

ok a bit if a side step, front baskets are fkin dangerous, female riders put the shopping, helmet. hand bags in the front, obscuring the front headlight, (ok,guys as well do it) 2 nights ago outside my condo waiting for the baht bus, young girl flying down the road, no front light,(handbag in the carrier), my heart was in my mouth as a taxi decided to do a U turn, all this unfurling before me, i will never know how she avoided hitting the taxi broadside on, and me a helpless on looker, <deleted>.

On 10/13/2017 at 1:08 AM, Ahnsahn said:

It is striking how no 'official' specification information whatsoever has been released about the 2018 PCX! The review writers have been reduced to speculating and writing teaser articles.

12-13 more days, guys!

so excited;

may wet myself

• Like 2

So the new pcx is a big bike with 153 cc...is it the same engine as the honda SH ?

There's nothing new on the 2018 afaik....100 miles to the gallon, that's also nothing new. 1 : 42.....an SH always uses that or less.

PCX Power.

With its 153cc liquid-cooled four-stroke engine, the PCX150 is great for urban commutes, trips around town, and is freeway-legal, should you need to head onto the highway. Plus, since it’s a Honda, you know it’s built to last.

Read more at http://powersports.honda.com/2018/pcx.aspx#m7bIzjQOyUtFTvHA.99

Edited by Thian

29 minutes ago, Thian said:

So the new pcx is a big bike with 153 cc...is it the same engine as the honda SH ?

There's nothing new on the 2018 afaik....100 miles to the gallon, that's also nothing new. 1 : 42.....an SH always uses that or less.

PCX Power.

With its 153cc liquid-cooled four-stroke engine, the PCX150 is great for urban commutes, trips around town, and is freeway-legal, should you need to head onto the highway. Plus, since it’s a Honda, you know it’s built to last.

Read more at http://powersports.honda.com/2018/pcx.aspx#m7bIzjQOyUtFTvHA.99

They just duplicated the 2017 page and changed 2017 to 2018, i'm sure there will be a bit more changes than that and this page was not supposed to be online like this

Just now, jackdd said:

They just duplicated the 2017 page and changed 2017 to 2018, i'm sure there will be a bit more changes than that and this page was not supposed to be online like this

So was the pcx already a big bike with 153 cc in 2017?

28 minutes ago, Thian said:

So was the pcx already a big bike with 153 cc in 2017?

There is no official definition of a "big bike", but probably most people would not call a bike under 250cc a big bike

Since 2012 the Honda PCX is using the same 153cc (actually 152.9cc) engine

57 minutes ago, jackdd said:

There is no official definition of a "big bike", but probably most people would not call a bike under 250cc a big bike

Anything above 150cc is a big bike and registered like that...it costs more to have a big bike in thailand for registering.

my 153 cc SH is also big bike on the papers.

Edited by Thian

23 hours ago, jackdd said:

Wrong.

When i use the ferry at Samui,

the officials charge me as big bike on 150cceeber.

[slightly under 150ml displacement]

No need to apologise for your ignorance and false statement.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, papa al said:

Wrong.

When i use the ferry at Samui,

the officials charge me as big bike on 150cceeber.

[slightly under 150ml displacement]

No need to apologise for your ignorance and false statement.

And because a ferry to Samui is using this it's clearly the "official definition" ;)

In parking lots of Central Plaza in Bangkok they have big bike parking spaces, says 400cc up, that's as "official" as your ferry

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

And because a ferry to Samui is using this it's clearly the "official definition" ;)

In parking lots of Central Plaza in Bangkok they have big bike parking spaces, says 400cc up, that's as "official" as your ferry

That has nothing to do with the thai regulations.

As i wrote, my 153cc bike is registered as a big bike and costs more every year than a small one.

So my question was/is: is a pcx registered as a big bike or not? I guess not but maybe the new models will be.

Anything above the 150cc makes it a big bike.

Also my 153cc is faster than a pcx, i've never seen one pulling up faster than me. And i'm 90 kg while the thai boys are lighter mostly..