You know you have been in Thailand too long.......

AlQaholic

Thought I would do this one again, haven't seen one for a while......Some of the content has been borrowed from others and I added some of my own...

Please feel free to expand/commentbiggrin.png

• You too believe traffic lanes, stop signs and one way streets are mere suggestions and that sidewalks were meant to drive on or they wouldn't have paved them.
  • You can drive 60 km/h two inches from cars on either side of you, but cannot back into a parking space in an empty lot without two guys yelling “Toy toy toy, paa, toy, jut"
  • You can kill cockroaches with your bare feet
  • The footprints on the toilet seat are your own, and you can shake your hands almost perfectly dry before wiping them on your pants when leaving the rest room
  • You no longer wait in line, but immediately go to the head of the queue
  • You stop at the bottom of the escalator to plan your day
  • It has become exciting to see if you can get on the lift before anybody else can get off
  • It is no longer surprising that the only real decision made at a meeting is the time and venue for the next meeting
  • You no longer wonder how someone making US$200 per month can drive a Mercedes
  • You answer the telephone with “Hello” more than 2 times
  • You are quite content to repeat your order six times in a restaurant that only has four items on the menu, and you regard it as part of an adventure when the waiter exactly repeats your order and the cook makes something completely different
  • You believe everything you read in the local newspaper
  • You're not surprised when four men with a ladder show up in your office to change a light bulb
  • You enjoy the song "Country road...." sung by someone who doesn't know a word of English
  • Going out for a drink with your coworker, he shows up with his girlfriend, even though you are on a first name basis with his wife
  • You ask a person taking your order, “Do you have cheeseburgers?” and the server responds, “Yes, we do.” And so you say, “OK, I'll order a cheeseburger.” And the server says, “I'm sorry, we're out of cheeseburgers.”
  • You don't find it strange that there seems to be an old woman living permanently in the men's rest room at the shopping mall, and she always cleans the floor around you when you are going about your business
  • You look left, right, backwards, forwards, up and down before crossing a one way street.
  • You've seen every Hollywood blockbuster three weeks before its premier
  • You sing along with the adverts on TV
  • You pick your nose in public
  • You start to pronounce 'Computer' as 'Computaaa'
  • The sidewalk Indian tailor ushers has stopped harassing you a long time ago
  • Someone says "Bai nai maa?" and you don't think they are using baby talk
  • You find a fly in your noodle soup, and you fish the fly out with a spoon and eat it anyway
  • You find a fly in your noodle soup, and you eat it fly and all, after all it's a good source of protein
  • you make at least two visits a day to a coffee shop when you're in the mall
  • you are no longer confused when you see "grilled crap" in the menu

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know you are a typical expat if after all the time (probably too long) you've spent in Thailand you have learned so little that you think that writing down this list of cliches has any value other than confirming one's own prejudices

One man's prejudices, another man's life's experiences.

You know you are a typical expat if after all the time (probably too long) you've spent in Thailand you have learned so little that you think that writing down this list of cliches has any value other than confirming one's own prejudices

One man's prejudices, another man's life's experiences.

No sir, it is thinking that these are one man's experiences that shows that they are in reality just confirmation bias of one's prejudices......

It is meant to be entertaining, of course nothing in the list applies to real life.

And the same endless rant goes round and round.

It's humor, and it is no different than any list of blond jokes or any other kind of joke you aren't allowed to tell in America anymore because of the politically correct crowd.

OF COURSE they are stereotypes... of course they are generalizations... But we all know that we have all experienced these things, or similar, and that means that we can collectively find humor in them.

Maybe you are one of the PC folks that are easily offended, and I do agree that it is possible to cross the line and be offensive in making a joke, but there is nothing on this list like that. It's a benign list of everyday occurrences. There is nothing vulgar in it.

I just don't see what you are blowing your top over.

And the same endless rant goes round and round.

It's humor, and it is no different than any list of blond jokes or any other kind of joke you aren't allowed to tell in America anymore because of the politically correct crowd.

OF COURSE they are stereotypes... of course they are generalizations... But we all know that we have all experienced these things, or similar, and that means that we can collectively find humor in them.

Maybe you are one of the PC folks that are easily offended, and I do agree that it is possible to cross the line and be offensive in making a joke, but there is nothing on this list like that. It's a benign list of everyday occurrences. There is nothing vulgar in it.

I just don't see what you are blowing your top over.

1 - I'm not "blowing my top"

2 - "PC" isn't an argument

3 - "humour" - It isn't funny

The first list like this I ever saw had a couple of others, such as:

"...you start to believe a Honda Civic is a Hi-So car" (maybe Mercedes is more appropriate now, as they're a lot cheaper in the west).

"...You hide from the midday sun behind a lamp post"

There was one about putting a garland on the rear view mirror of a submarine, but I can't remember it verbatim.