Less than 6 months remaining on passport - OK to enter Thailand?

Regarding to your question, according to our passport validity regulation your passport must have at least 6 months validity from the date you are expecting to enter Thailand. Thank you
Yours Sincerely,
Visa Section

Royal Thai Embassy

110 Molesworth Street

PO Box 12247

Thorndon

Wellington

A generic response from the office junior which gives.poor advice.

Ok they aren't going to take the risk of being denied entry, so are going to apply for an emergency passport tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can get new ones before their flight.

There is no risk.

They are perfectly legal and within the rules.

Why waste time and money when there is no need?

For some reason they feel safer taking the advice of the NZ Thai Embassy instead of Thaivisa forum members, no idea why :)

To be honest, if it were me, I'm not sure which option I'd have taken either, as being denied entry would have such a massive negative effect compared to the cost of simply getting a passport issued urgently, so it's really just the safe option.

Ok they aren't going to take the risk of being denied entry, so are going to apply for an emergency passport tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can get new ones before their flight.

There is no risk.

For some reason they feel safer taking the advice of the NZ Thai Embassy instead of Thaivisa forum members, no idea why smile.png

To be honest, if it were me, I'm not sure which option I'd have taken either, as being denied entry would have such a massive negative effect compared to the cost of simply getting a passport issued urgently, so it's really just the safe option.

I can understand that.

The Embassy would be seen as an "authoritative" source of accurate information even if it is not !

Edited by oncearugge

I'm gonna be playing snowbird again this winter and was lining up to apply for a 2-entry TR visa, so I had cause to check out the Thai embassy website in Berlin.

Just for general info ( I also have a question which may be answered here, rather than starting a whole thread):

The Thai embassy website in Berlin states (in German):

Passport must be valid for at least 6 months after intended date of entry.

No longer than 90 days allowed on visa exempt inside 6 months (that really caught my eye - thought that issue was long dead and gone!)

AND, and here's my question: They also want to see proof of transport for each entry on a 2 or 3 entry tourist visa before they'll issue one. (Including bus,train or plane!) I've certainly never noticed that when applying in the past.

So, is this a new rule? Has anyone ever come across this actually being demanded/required or implemented? In any Thai embassy location in the world? Or at immi Swampy?

Thought I'd rather sound it out here before I actually apply.

Many thanks for any info.

I'm gonna be playing snowbird again this winter and was lining up to apply for a 2-entry TR visa, so I had cause to check out the Thai embassy website in Berlin.

Just for general info ( I also have a question which may be answered here, rather than starting a whole thread):

No longer than 90 days allowed on visa exempt inside 6 months (that really caught my eye - thought that issue was long dead and gone!)

AND, and here's my question: They also want to see proof of transport for each entry on a 2 or 3 entry tourist visa before they'll issue one. (Including bus,train or plane!) I've certainly never noticed that when applying in the past.

So, is this a new rule? Has anyone ever come across this actually being demanded/required or implemented? In any Thai embassy location in the world? Or at immi Swampy?

Just locally applied "rules"

You could try one of the German Thia Consulates who, I am told, are easier to deal with.

Just locally applied "rules"

You could try one of the German Thia Consulates who, I am told, are easier to deal with.

Thai embassy's never been a problem and it's just down the road from me. I'm just surprised and wondering if this'll have any effect, since I never noticed the requirement b4, and I tend to be "pretty thorough" as a colleague once said.

Hello,

This sounds risky to me, to be honest. I do hope you won't be refused boarding.

Good luck.

Why do you think it would be risky. Many people have traveled to and entered the country with a passport with less than 6 months remaining on it.
If you can board the plane the risk is low to nil.

If the passengers were flying from Australia they could be flying AirAsiaX and would almost certainly by refused boarding, as AirAsiaX has a blanket 6 month validity for all nationalities apart from Thai. I have confirmed this by contacting AirAsiaX directly last year.

A LCC may well have a more restrictive policy.

I would ask the airline first.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

In my experiences.....Thailand did not enforce the 6 month or less rule.....however it was the airlines that get all fussy about it ...especially if you have a 1 way ticket to your destination.

Reason being is how many people who are turned down when they arrive at their destination then make a problem for the airlines asking for their help to accommodate them until they can buy a new ticket or what to do if they do not have enough money to buy a new ticket or what ever their predicament be when they are not allowed to enter a country because their passport is about to expire in 6 months or less.

One time I had to sign a legal waiver with Singapore airlines when the check in staff showed my passport to one of the airline management while that particular person said I could not travel while I said there should be no problem and it is my problem ....but they pointed out there is problems in such instances when people are stranded and no return or forward ticket arrangements....so they made me sign a legal waiver stating that I recognize that I could be refused entry to Thailand and if that is the case then Singapore airlines will not and can not be held responsible or liable.......like that.

Cheers

I had a similar situation recently with Singapore Airlines, where the ground check-in crew, including the Station Supervisor where going to deny me boarding because their lack of training/incompetence where at odds with the actual data on the Star Alliance database. Rather than them apologize/loss of face for my 40 minute delay and interrogation, I signed a Waiver Of Liability which releases the airline of the cost of repatriation if you are ultimately denied entry into the destination country. If your parents are given any grief at check-in, tell them to ask for the Waiver of Liability.

The Airlines are only bothered about costs to them and their bottom line.

As they are entering Thailand visa exempt, Immigration should not be an issue.

If it was Hong Kong and the excellent way they process entry clearance, i'd be a little more concerned.

Are Waivers Of Liability generally available from airlines other than Singapore and at airports across this great planet of ours other than the one from which peterjackson flew to Thailand (Changi?)? If so, they might also be the answer for those travelling on a one-way ticket to Thailand who might be threatened with denial of boarding by a jobsworth airline check-in assistant because of (e.g.) the lack of a suitable tourist visa in their passport. Would definitely strike me as better than the alternative option of purchasing an onward flight ticket in the region, which in all probability would not be used.

I have signed waivers for a few airlines. I suspect all airlines have them, but it is optional whether they will allow you to sign a waiver and travel. Basically, when they allow this, they are assuming you have the financial resources to reimburse them for any costs they incur should you be refused entry.

Just to be clear, those who are saying the conditions as specified in the IATA database is definitive are correct. The information specified there is 100% reliable, and should be taken ahead of what the Thai Embassy, airline check in or even Thai Visa forum members say. That means that entry visa exempt, for most nationalities, requires the passport to be valid only for the intended duration of your stay. Recognize, though, that side trips to neighboring countries during the trip would not be possible unless the passport had 6-month remaining validity.

When airport check in get the rules wrong (not uncommon)

• Quietly and politely explain the rules
  • If that does not work, ask to talk with a supervisor. Suggest reference to the IATA database, and stress Thailand's rules are different from most other countries
  • If there is still a problem, state that you are quite sure there is no problem and offer to sign a Waiver of Liability
  • At all times, remain calm and polite!

Hello Joe,

I said it would sound risky to me because not all but many have traveled abroad and

entered the country with a passport with less than 6 months left on it so I wonder if

you can make it 100% for sure. It would be more than a nightmare if the OP's family

should be denied boarding in NZ or entry into Thailand. You never know.

Not everybody can enter with less than 6 months. Those from some countries must have 6 months.

The info that I posted is from the IATA and airlines have access to that same info. The IATA got that info from authorities in Thailand. Some airlines have their reservation systems tied to that database and will refuse the purchase of a ticket if a person does not qualify for entry.

Edit: When you asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA not MOF) about passport validity did they ask which country you were from. I suspect you got a generic answer they tell everybody.

I told them which country I was from when I asked them the question.

I went to the website of Star Alliance, which says that my passport must

be valid for the period of intended stay, so it could be that I got a generic

answer from them several years ago.

There is no risk.

I dont know if this has changed.. but about 10 years ago an airline prevented my brother boarding when he had under 6 months but longer than the duration of visit..

I think it was china air and was leaving Amsterdam..

I was also refused by China Airlines at Amsterdam. The checkin manager was very helpful and phoned Thai immigration who said it would be ok if I had a return ticket. If the airline staff are not prepared to help, you have had it.

Better to get new passports before they depart. They might get in to Thailand, but they won't get out, so they woulkd have a bigger hassle going to their Embassy to renew their passports

Why would they not be able to leave to their home country. Many countries allow their citizens to enter with expired passports (Thailand does).

Thailand does not care about passport validity when leaving the country as long as it is still valid when leaving.

I had the identical situation, less than 6 mos. on passport. Singapore wouldn't let me fly to BKK till I got a new passport. Emergency 1 yr passport done in a few hours.

"Singapore" did not prevent you flying but an ill-informed airline employee may have done.

Much would also have depended on your planned itinerary.

As usual different situations are used to answer a question, when the correct answer is already given on page 1.

Visa exempt entry for many countries passport validity required for duration of stay. Visa entries, extension of dtsh entries, visa exempt without onward ticket are s different situations.

Better to get new passports before they depart. They might get in to Thailand, but they won't get out, so they would have a bigger hassle going to their Embassy to renew their passports

Yes, it'd be better for them to get a new passport before they fly out of NZ, of course,

but why wouldn't they be allowed to leave Thailand once they're allowed to enter the

kingdom for the purpose of pleasure for a few weeks?

Edited by Too

• 7 months later...

now that we are in the clear with the validity of a passport, its 6 month from the day of entering Thailand....

how about the pages remaining in a passport when getting ( any visa) - on arrival- or others???

I still have 6 empty pages left and got in February my 1 year extension of stay ( visa)

I must soon apply for a new passport in Bangkok? I am a German national and have a retirement visa.

Another thing, I had send on April 25 my 90 day report to get a extension of the permit to stay ( the 90 day report was due on the 30th of April, I had send the TM47 together with my last receipt of Notification to Mae Sai immigration but have not heard from them ever since, I need the receipt of Notification to keep in my passport for any eventuality, what to do, to call the immigration is bothersome as the English of the official there Is maybe not so good??

Anybody has a similar problem with mail from the Immigration 'Next time I do the 90 day report on-line.

pls advise