Thailand’s infamous playboy monk given refugee status in United States

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand’s infamous playboy monk given refugee status in United States

303HKGd.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Luang Pu Nenkham, the controversial ex-monk who rose to prominence for his extravagant jet setting lifestyle, claims he has received official refugee status in the United States.

Today, various Thai news site are reporting that Luang Pu, real name Wirapol Sukphol, has been granted permission to remain in the United States and that he also plans to launch his own religion from his new home in California.

Sanook News reports how the monk has recently took part in an interview with the Thai news YouTube channel, Jom Voice.

In the 9 minute clip, presenter Jom claims Luang Pu didn’t want to appear on camera, although footage is shown of him taking part in a merit making ceremony.

The antics of Luang Pu Nenkham made national news in 2013 when video footage emerged of him travelling around in a private jet, with a Louis Vuitton hand bag and wearing designer sunglasses.

It then came to light that Luang Pu had amassed a quite staggering amount of financial wealth and other assets, which allegedly included him owning scores of luxury cars, properties and land plots throughout Thailand.

The monk’s high profile lifestyle didn’t go unnoticed by the authorities in Thailand, with the Department of Special Investigations charging him in relation to committing fraud and money laundering. He also faced charges of rape and having sex with a minor.

Authorities then seized more than 300 million Baht from 41 bank accounts allegedly belonging to Luang Pu.

In 2013, Thai authorities asked officials in the United States to cancel his US visa, when the monk moved to Los Angeles after originally fleeing Thailand for France.

However, if the latest claims are to believed, it would appear that Luang Pu will not be returning to Thailand anytime soon.

tvn.png
-- 2015-09-30

Related:

DNA tests show Thai monk Wirapol 'Luang Pu Nenkham' fathered child

Thailand's DSI will ask US to cancel scandal-plagued ex-monk's visa

Jet-setting Thai monk found to have bought 22 luxury cars

Ex-monk Wirapol (Luang Pu Nenkham) withdrew Bt300m

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bind moggles.

Would you believe a pack of rabid Buddhists (Laotian though), replete with 25 foot tall speakers has invaded the rural neighborhood where I grew up in Florida?

I visit that area of the planet (where I grew up in poverty) seldom & mostly never, but last time I was there they were whooping it up half a mile a way.

I have told my mom to call the deputies about the noise. Her grandson/my nephew IS a local deputy.

She won't do it though.

I just left. Haven't been back.

Edited by jaywalker

He's not going to be granted refugee status. Someone, like a wacko NGO, has referred him to the US Refugee program. Homeland Security will make a decision on his application. The process takes 1-2 years.

The UNHCR, a U.S. Embassy, or an authorized non-governmental organization (NGO) can refer a refugee to the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP). Once a referral is made, a Resettlement Support Center (RSC) funded and managed by PRM prepares the case for presentation to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

http://www.state.gov/j/prm/releases/factsheets/2013/210135.htm

I doubt that too many corrupt civil servents , former or present want this fellow flaping at the mouth about his source of retained funds, what he wire transfer to personal accounts out of the region, etc

The amount of funds that went thru this middle mans account were so huge as to be on par with many countries national budget.

Some of the orginal charges were enough to ask for and get cooperation from US authorties on returning him for charges in Thailand.

If this is true, then as a US citizen I'm disgusted with my government for giving this undeserving person a free ride when US Citizens have to go through the ringer to get legitimate K1/K3 visas for their GF's/wives or just someone getting a tourist visa.