Doi Inthanon Charges

chiang mai

On the tourist authority website, 300 Baht adults 150 baht for children .

Thais or foreigners?

Because: "Entrance fees of 400 Baht and 200 Baht for an adult and a child respectively are expected to pay at the first check point at Km 8"

http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/doi-inthanon-national-park.html

Edited by chiang mai

Last November I was able to pay just 40 baht by using my Thai license as ID.

Same. You can even go in, if you drive some of the small roads. Did that by mistake as the Navi got completely lost. No entrance fee paid for the park. But you wont get on the peek without ticket, there is another checkpoint.

That was end of last year, cold weather. Went their with Family and dogs. Full pickup. So they may just have ignored that farang on the steering wheel. I would have turned around if asked for 400B.

Indeed, we have six people comming over from Europe for a holiday and Inthanon is on our list of must sees, but not at THB 2,800 just for entry!

Well worth the 400Bht each. - about $8 US each I guess. Don't get much for that in Europe.

I really don't want to get into a dual pricing debate here and I ask that the Mods simply close this thread if that happens. But I, we, have no intention of paying of paying 2,800 for seven foreigners plus 40 baht for one Thai national, it's a thing of principle.

If you go the Mae Wang route, there is free entrance. You can have some nice time at one of the guest houses in the villages. It's nice when the weather gets a bit colder. Or continue further to Mae Hong Son. It's a fantastic scenic drive, just avoid night time.

So don't go up the mountain. The lower reaches - where you turn off to the left and down by the river - cross over the bridge and the restaurants along the water are great. Fantastic butterflies as well. If they are into watching and taking pics of wildlife the area just before the toll booth is excellent for birds.

Indeed, we have six people comming over from Europe for a holiday and Inthanon is on our list of must sees, but not at THB 2,800 just for entry!

Well worth the 400Bht each. - about $8 US each I guess. Don't get much for that in Europe.

I really don't want to get into a dual pricing debate here and I ask that the Mods simply close this thread if that happens. But I, we, have no intention of paying of paying 2,800 for seven foreigners plus 40 baht for one Thai national, it's a thing of principle.

Two peaks a lot nearer and no charge.

Princess Sala at the top of Doi Pui ........ nice picnic spot, great views, access by car.

Mon Jam near Mae Rim, car park right at the top, restaurant and views, Mon Long nearby with astounding views, but car access iffy.

If you go the Mae Wang route, there is free entrance. You can have some nice time at one of the guest houses in the villages. It's nice when the weather gets a bit colder. Or continue further to Mae Hong Son. It's a fantastic scenic drive, just avoid night time.

Er no the Mae wang route comes out between checkpoint 1 and 2 where they verify you have a ticket.. The second one just before the Mae Cheam turning / rd..

There is, you end up in the middle of nowhere, not that I could describe it :). Been there 2 times, once with the bike and ended up in quicksand, second with the pickup and lost navigation. Google led us out in the end and there was no checkpoint.

Doi Pui is also on our list and will check out Mon Jam also.

Mon Jam is nice but on the weekend it can be packed as the Thai love the place as a day trip... Weekday is much less crowded... On the way there or back go to the home stop at Darapirom Palace Museum... If I recall its 20 baht and worth every satang!

http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/dara_pirom_palace.html

We went last week and my thai driver license and the yellow book were not accepted.

Last January they did accept it.

Even for our kids they wanted to charge the 10x, good luck our eldest one had the Thai Id in the wallet. For the two younger ones we couldn't provide the Thai Id, but after singing the Thai antheme, they got the thai price.

Mon Jam near Mae Rim, car park right at the top, restaurant and views, Mon Long nearby with astounding views, but car access iffy.

Mon Long, AKA the rock tower, is not very accessible by a generic Thai sedan, iffy is being a bit optimistic. If you don't have 4-wheel or all-wheel drive, or a pickup truck, then better to take local Mong transport from Mon Jaem. Views are now mostly a sea of plastic sheeting.

There is, you end up in the middle of nowhere, not that I could describe it smile.png. Been there 2 times, once with the bike and ended up in quicksand, second with the pickup and lost navigation. Google led us out in the end and there was no checkpoint.

We must mean different routes.. I mean the 1284 from the mae wang 1013.. That brings you out (in doi inthanon nat park admittedly) on the 1009 in baan khuan klang at the royal project agriculture bit..

You still have to go right from there and hit check point 2, just before the mea cheam split (which you can come in from and avoid both checkpoints.. but thats one hell of a long loop to save some tickets).

The checkpoint 2 is just a few kms short of the peak and theres no turn offs or joins along that last stretch.. except the mea cheam turn mentions.

So yes you can enter doi inthanon nat park.. But I am really pretty sure, based in riding it 10s of times, exploring every road, and even doing dirt biking around the trails and single track. The peak itself comes after the checkpoint 2 and has no turnoffs (its rising fast there also).

I did the Inthanon-run about six weeks ago, with a visitor, they refused to accept my Thai driving-license, and charged me full tourist-price the same as her.

So I won't be going again, anytime soon ! wink.png

Or to any other national-parks, either.

I always felt that the concession for resident farangs was a nice 'thank-you', for bringing the country more visitors and revenue, now it acts as a dis-incentive.coffee1.gif

We must mean different routes.. I mean the 1284 from the mae wang 1013.. That brings you out (in doi inthanon nat park admittedly) on the 1009 in baan khuan klang at the royal project agriculture bit..

Just had a look at Google maps. Looks like it is the 1013/1284. It's a new built concrete road and then asphalt downhill. You come out at the campgrounds/guesthouses overlooking the agriculture village.

Yes, there is also checkpoint two on the way further up to Doi Inthanon, but this you can pass without any charge if you turn immediately to the left afterwards towards Mae Hong Son (1192). The peek itself is a no go without ticket.

I did the Inthanon-run about six weeks ago, with a visitor, they refused to accept my Thai driving-license, and charged me full tourist-price the same as her.

So I won't be going again, anytime soon ! wink.png

Or to any other national-parks, either.

I always felt that the concession for resident farangs was a nice 'thank-you', for bringing the country more visitors and revenue, now it acts as a dis-incentive.coffee1.gif

Thanks for the heads up Ricardo!

I to thought it was a nice"thank-you" when I brought 3 visitors last November and was given the reduced price after showing my Thai driving-licence.

I have another 3 friends coming for a visit later this month and had planned to do the same with them.