my boy and passport

Hi, I have been in thailand now 10 years and i have a boy going on 7 . Next year i want to take him to uk with me. My wife and boy have been

once before but when he was still a baby. I got him a thai passport and an english one but the english one i dident renew when it ran out early this year. Do i have to renew before we go?? or can i wait and do it while in uk. I dont like bangkok and you have to go twice when renewing here.

Comon sence tells me i should renew before we go but he is a registered uk citizen . any one with experience of this ? please advise. petefacepalm.gif

In theory he can travel on an expired UK passport, which in itself is sufficient proof of his right to enter the UK.

However he might encounter problems at check-in when he attempts to leave Thailand, and whilst he shouldn't encounter a problem on arrival, it might prove time consuming.

I would be inclined to bite the bullet and apply in Thailand, the UKPO indicates that an application can be made by somebody else on his behalf but that the passport must be collected by the applicant, I don't know if their website is up to date.

In theory he can travel on an expired UK passport, which in itself is sufficient proof of his right to enter the UK.

However he might encounter problems at check-in when he attempts to leave Thailand, and whilst he shouldn't encounter a problem on arrival, it might prove time consuming.

I would be inclined to bite the bullet and apply in Thailand, the UKPO indicates that an application can be made by somebody else on his behalf but that the passport must be collected by the applicant, I don't know if their website is up to date.

In theory yes.. but as correctly said i wouldnt chance this especially with a child ....but an application can be made on someones behalf...there is a even a TV sponsor who i believe will do it for you.... Edited by Soutpeel

He can leave on his Thai passport provided last time in you used his Thai p/port.

For my own boy, we always leave thailand on this thai p/port and enter Aust on his Aussie p/port.

Many trips and never a problem with exception of him being quizzed in Bkk on where is he going and with whom - which to me is no problem and reassuring.

Edited by Artisi

Thankyou for all replys, I have decided to renew here and got an appointment at trendy next tuesday .UK make an easy task into big and expensive job

I have asked his teacher to fill in the photo certification and the relavent part of the aplication. I have copys of the house book and translation to english

Two new photos of james and booked a room for i night in Bangkok. I hope i have everything needed. Thailand is so much easier to deal with. When UK

r request you to get a profesenal ie lawyer policeman doctor and such its not easy if you dont know any and dont speak thai . Anyway i will see how it goes

pete

I put an application into Aus. Embassy yesterday as my boys p/port expired last month.

I arrived at the embassy at 8.35am armed with stacks of paperwork and copies of everything I could imagine. I was No 5 on the queue - presened everything - most by immediately returned as not necessary - do you have a spare photo - yes , do you have your wife's passport - yes -- can I have them. Walked out of the front gate of the embassy at 9.06am- all done.

Wife got a phone call just after I left with a couple if easy answered questions, do you know you husband has applied for a p/port for your son? - yes, did you sign your signature in the application in Thai or English?

Wife " I'm in Bkk do you want me to come to the embassy?" - no need thank you.

All done and dusted.