Cybersecurity key reason behind single gateway: PM

Lite Beer

This should be setting alarm bells for a much bigger picture, the Junta are here to stay, forget elections in 2017, these bozos are going to remain the power holders in this country indefinitely.

Anyone who sees this differently has their head buried in the sand, and will be fluent in Ostrich in no time at all!!

Inch by inch.... little by little.... then many will conclude.... holly hell how did this happen. Beware of the "foot in the door" technique.

Got in an argument with the wife last night. She said it would never happen. I wrote on the wall. Wife said no Great Firewall of Thailand Oct 2, 2015.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It said the group has already contemplated the consequence of its retaliatory measures the government but "in time of war, losses will be unavoidable".

Any news about plans building some special "cyber crime prisons" next to the island with "inactive posts inmates" yet?

A single gateway is a single point of failure and from an networking viewpoint that is a catastrophe

In that case, I hope they implement it. Then after about a year of blackouts and massive hacks, they'll be back to a distributed network, although the damage will have already been done.

If TPTB wish to be control freaks, take a lesson from the NSA and just 'Hoover' and store all content, but bag the firewall.

A single gateway is a single point of failure and from an networking viewpoint that is a catastrophe

Before the 20th century, Korea was known as the Hermit Kingdom.

After this goes live - and everything crashes - Thailand will inherit the title. Thailand - the AEC Hub of no properly functioning internet. Just the thing to attract multinationals to set up their regional HQs - NOT

According to a recent tweet,Documents have been "leaked" to show that Prayuth already ordered a single gateway as far back as August, and it was to be in place by end of September.

Don't be surprised if it's already been introduced!!!!

Many friends of mine have been complaining about their internet connection over the past 2 months has been dropping in and out with more frequency, when they never had problems for years before.... Coincidence?

Agree...I'm in the Cha Am region.....quite slow and unstable

According to a recent tweet,Documents have been "leaked" to show that Prayuth already ordered a single gateway as far back as August, and it was to be in place by end of September.

Many friends of mine have been complaining about their internet connection over the past 2 months has been dropping in and out with more frequency, when they never had problems for years before.... Coincidence?

Quite slow and unstable eh? A bit like the current PM. Whoops I'm in trouble now.

"Tracking IP address, triangulating position, getting GPS location", "Good, dispatch flying squad, bring him to me alive"

Well now...I think everyone knows the security objectives, that they claim is the reason for the single gateway, will not make any difference at all.

They will not secure anything important and or prevent anything they are trying to stop while the whole affair will be deemed a failure on their part.

Cheers

And the benefits to the Thai citizens using the single gateway internet is? Not a lot as they already stop people reading the truth about certain people in Thailand with so many sites already blocked, as someone on forum already said its mainly military dictatorships trying to control the news, next the military will be taking over TV channels to preach more propaganda to the repressed citizen of the country can read and not read keep them in the dark and they will work hard and carry on as normal and pay their taxes so military generals can get new Mercedes cars Tanks, aircraft carriers and submarines and in that order. And before anyone asks me no I am not a lover of so called soldier governments.

Command and control, it's the essence of the old school military mind. I had such high hopes that they were going to tackle the critical and important issues facing the country that was blocking progress. There is no long term growth plan, no strategy just careening from one crisis to the next. How sad for Thailand. Is there not one man or woman who can step up shape a future and lead the country out of the morass?

Well actually...there was one man recently that was trying to shape the country for the better and change the status quo and challenge the status quo.

His name is Thaksin.

What the country needs is another such person ( separate from the Thaksin clan ) who can stand up to the status quo ....minus the corruption and the malfeasance of course ( just dreaming out load...lol ) ....but still ...it starts with some one recognized as having strong leadership qualities while having a political agenda that actually does change things for the better for all the more citizens.

I am not a Thaksin fan at all ...nor their family clan and know well that they are as bad as the rest of them in many aspects of how he / they ran the country.....but he / they certainly did shake things up and accomplished more in their short term than anyone else and also resolved multiple pending issues and needing to be resolved long before he came along and did what needed to be done.....and did it...actually did it....instead of the usual lip service and lectures and the appalling apathetic attitude of the past.

Of course anyone that upsets the Status Quo usually upset many people to no end and some in particular were really growing angry with the man and his vision(s).....so.....his political tenure was in jeopardy right from the beginning.

He was, more or less, the person you speak of....but .....everyone had to overlook the fact that he was also corrupt as corrupt can be while enriching himself immensely while having plenty of faults while causing plenty of problems also....but he was a mover and a shaker, no doubt....and for that...in part...they removed him and did it illegally.

But that is how Thailand works and it will not change anytime soon as long as the military can always step in and intervene while claiming their actions are not a coup....... rather an intervention that comes with a friendly crocodile smile.

Should new leadership come along, such as you are alluding to and win the hearts and minds of the Thai citizens you can be assured he or she and or they will not last long and that person or persons will be removed and if need be removed by way of another military coup.....oooops ... I mean a peaceful military intervention for the good of the county...of course.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

When I was in law school we had a test to apply to constitutional issues, it was called strict scrutiny. That test would essentially ask whether the means achieved the goal. Here, the means of a single gateway does the opposite of developing a digital economy. Furthermore, no one hacks Thailands websites, yes I know they developed the only cure for Ebola, HIV, etc but I would like to hear about one instance of a cyber attack. There is not one. He bought intrusive snooping software and has been using it since last year. They regularly block websites now as benign as the New York Times. They had everyone register their sim cards to track social media posts. It's a military junta that has banned public gatherings and jailed people for a three finger salute or eating sandwiches. Can anyone truly doubt that the same system used in China and being deployed here will not result in full censorship?

Quite slow and unstable eh? A bit like the current PM. Whoops I'm in trouble now.

"Tracking IP address, triangulating position, getting GPS location", "Good, dispatch flying squad, bring him to me alive"

Many a true word spoken in jest ! clap2.gif

I can't see as this will amount to their actually locking things down under a single gateway. But it wouldn't surprise me if they mess the internet and financial services infrastructure up quite a bit for many years to come with some botched attempt or some other equally asinine scheme.

Even if they actually do back down from their position and find smarter ways to monitor people and control content and communication on the internet, the way they are handling this is hardly good advertising for anyone needing or wanting a stable country. They come off as desperately disorganized, clueless as to how to mask their intentions and oblivious to the enormous range of consequences their meddling with the internet could have. It doesn't even seem that they grasp that or care if they happen to understand it. This isn't going to be lost anyone who may want to loan them money, grant them favors, do business with them etc.

But as for the internet, hopefully some smart and brave people will step up and help us out of whatever hole we are going to be dragged into by these bumbling cyclopses, if simply using a VPN isn't enough.

I think it is great that all internet traffic here will be secure, no hacking, no identity theft, no viruses, no malware at all. Set up your IT hub here now.

In what way will intenret be secure? No hacking, no identity theft, no viruses and so on with a singke gateway?? In the contrary it will be worse.

I think it is great that all internet traffic here will be secure, no hacking, no identity theft, no viruses, no malware at all. Set up your IT hub here now.

In what way will intenret be secure? No hacking, no identity theft, no viruses and so on with a singke gateway?? In the contrary it will be worse.

The don´t need a single gateway for spying on us. Look at USA, they don´t have only a single gateway and they are spying just fine.

This should be setting alarm bells for a much bigger picture, the Junta are here to stay, forget elections in 2017, these bozos are going to remain the power holders in this country indefinitely.

Anyone who sees this differently has their head buried in the sand, and will be fluent in Ostrich in no time at all!!

"... these bozos are going to remain the power holders in this country indefinitely"

That's been their intention all along and it's made abundantly clear on a daily basis by all their inane and Orwellian actions. And yet there are still people who can see no wrong with the junta!

............"And yet there are still people who can see no wrong with the junta!"..................

Either you have a vivid imagination or you are a habitual liar. Just exactly who are these people who you claim "can see no wrong with the junta"..................name them or admit you are dreaming or handling the truth carelessly.

(I believe only the Junta themselves see no wrong with themselves, and even some of them would admit to faults and misgivings.)

Well, EnglishJohn and djjamie to name two.

Smedley, ericberg, baerboxer, rubi, costas (who has suddenly gone quiet. Probably enjoying the delights of Pattaya too much to post).

All commercial business will not be affected by this change as they will be given a multi gateway server pass code. The rest of us and the normal population of Thailand will still be paying full price for a downgraded single gateway cock-up. Just wait til the server for the single gateway breaks down. Will the government agency covering this have a back up??? Most likely not, total internet blackout in Thailand. I am glad I have work during the day and thousands of movies to watch on my hard drive to keep me occupied. In reality tho, this is going backwards not forwards and will again show how behind the times Thailand is, not just to ASEAN countries but the world!

I hate to throw cold water on some of the technical criticisms being repeated here as I'm hugely critical of the single internet gateway concept, but many members who're posting might be unaware of the potential complexity of a real boundary architecture. ("DMZ", btw, actually is a term applicable to such architectures and actually can provide some protection against DDOS, as well as other, attacks.) Such a boundary suite can consist of inner & outer routers & firewalls, with separate enclaves (each with its own security level), redundant servers, etc,, in between, with failover capability and multiple independent power supplies. The entire boundary suite itself could even be duplicated at separate physical sites for purposes of failover redundancy. It's not necessarily quite the "single point of failure" as most seem to be using the term.

'Course, designing, obtaining, building, optimizing, operating & maintaining such a suite at the required scale demands significant expertise, and on an ongoing basis, but we know of at least one other friendly government that has and uses such expertise to operate its "Great Firewall"...though I'm not sure that even that government does so without significant performance impact on users. And the expertise is available elsewhere around the world as well.

Can anyone answer a question, maybe one of the Moderators. If the single gateway goes into place, is there a possibility that controversial postings to TVF (but within TVF's guidelines), coming from outside of Thailand, will be blocked ?

If they have any qualms about simply blocking all of Thaivisa, it may make sense to block on a thread by thread basis. With multiple gateways, one may need automatic censors for each gateway - I'm not sure that it makes sense to have a single censor for the dynamic content of Thaivisa. There might be a problem with the context-sensitive advertising which is also tailored to each user.

I wonder if another reason for a single gateway is that the different packets of a communication could conceivably enter Thailand at different gateways, which would make assembly for censorship more difficult. For example, not having all of a zipped file can make the parts received hard to interpret.

I just wish to see a certain General in prison for many years for the crimes he has put on this Country - of course also the hundreds of thousands of the other ba$tards ...

We may as well as lock up all the politicians in the world as well.

They are all tinkering with our freedoms and rights and our standard of living.

Politicians enact legislation to primarily benefit themselves. Once done they may as an afterthought think about what is good for the country and its people.

I just wish to see a certain General in prison for many years for the crimes he has put on this Country - of course also the hundreds of thousands of the other ba$tards ...

We may as well as lock up all the politicians in the world as well.

They are all tinkering with our freedoms and rights and our standard of living.

Politicians enact legislation to primarily benefit themselves. Once done they may as an afterthought think about what is good for the country and its people.

No, what we do in democratic countries is to get rid of them using our voting rights.