Cybersecurity key reason behind single gateway: PM

Lite Beer

Cybersecurity key reason behind single gateway: PM
THE NATION

30270112-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- PROS AND CONS OF CONTROVERSIAL INTERNET PLAN STILL UNDER STUDY, PRAYUT SAYS

THE GOVERNMENT will study the pros and cons of using a single international gateway for the Internet, which is one of the tools to boost the country's cybersecurity, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday.

In his first public response to criticism over the planned single gateway, Prayut denied his Cabinet had given the green light for the plan. "We're still studying the good and bad points of such a plan and will consult with other countries, including those in Asean," he said.

However, a document shows that the Cabinet's Secretariat had asked the Information and Communications Technology Ministry on August 27 to report on the progress in implementing the single-gateway plan to the prime minister, citing an August 4 Cabinet resolution.

Prayut yesterday said the public should not panic, as the government would not violate their rights, adding that no action has been taken to implement the single-gateway plan yet as there was still consultation going on among the government agencies concerned.

However, the prime minister said cybersecurity was crucial to national security and implementation of the "digital economy", in which business and financial data must be secured, and the usage of a single Internet gateway was one of the tools to ensure cybersecurity.

Other countries have also conducted feasibility studies on the pros and cons of single Internet gateways, he claimed.

Prayut said cybercrimes were now common, as evidenced by the large number of hackers and cyberattacks, so the public should not just focus on the issue of rights.

The prime minister said more and more people were connected with the cyberworld and hence the government had to find ways to deal with violations of rights and laws and see if the use of a single Internet gateway could solve such problems while balancing the public's right to privacy and freedom of expression.

According to the Institute of Economics and Peace's global terrorism index, Thailand is ranked among the top 10 out of 162 countries surveyed. A source said cyberspace was often used to carry out terrorist attacks in various countries, so it was necessary for Thailand to boost cybersecurity to avoid such incidents.

However, critics have said only a few countries such as China use a single Internet gateway to control the flow of data from outside the country.

In addition, a single gateway would lead to bottlenecks and slow down Internet speed if the country's bandwidth is not significantly expanded to accommodate the traffic, they say. This would hurt the government's policy to promote the digital economy, as e-commerce and other digital activities would be impeded.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, who is in charge of national security, said the government did not want to create conflict in society as there had been opposition to the single-gateway plan, which resulted in the websites of several government agencies being paralysed by the distributed denial of service (DDoS) method on Wednesday evening.

Among the affected websites were those of the ICT Ministry, which was hit by more than 100,000 users, even though the daily average was only about 6,000.

Maj-General Ritti Indarawud, head of the Army's cybercentre, said there were a number of ways to combat website attacks that used the DDoS method such as by installing computer servers behind the firewall or inside the demiltarised zone, expanding the bandwidth, boosting the CPU or RAM, and creating standby websites.

Anusorn Eamsa-ad, the Pheu Thai Party's acting deputy spokesman, said the government should drop the single-gateway plan because of strong opposition.

However, Government Spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the public should not be misled and that the single-gateway plan was still under study.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Cybersecurity-key-reason-behind-single-gateway-PM-30270112.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-03

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LIKE IT SHARE IT
Debate rages over controversial single |Internet gateway plan
KORNCHANOK RAKSASERI
@AIM_NT

BANGKOK: -- THE government's idea of using a single gateway to regulate the Internet has sparked plenty of discussion. On Wednesday, netizens expressed their anger over the proposal by bringing down several government agency websites.

They urged Internet users to go to those websites, including the Information and Communication Technology Ministry's, to refresh the homepages continuously by pushing the F5 button on computer keyboards.

The cyber attack drew even more attention to the matter. Some people have used a picture of coconut shell as a protest symbol against the proposal, while a petition against the idea at change.org has gathered over 140,000 signatures.

On Twitter, @supinya wrote: "What Thailand should focus more on than #SingleGateway: developing broadband for rural areas & continuing the debate on Internet governance."

@nuling said: "Bt1 billion budget for the #SingleGateway should be better invested in education."

@MrVop said: "If you set #SingleGateway for the whole country's data [and] the system crashes, you won't be able to connect with other countries. If a tsunami happens, where would you get the [tsunami] buoy-ETA [estimated time of arrival] information?"

@dr_mana wrote: "Not long ago, a military government fell over because of the 'mobile phone mob' [the mob led by the middle class]. Beware this time, [the military government] might fall over because of the 'cyber mob'."

@LastIFound wrote: "I have talked to the officers. I can now say I support the Single Gateway. However, that's on the condition that there must be a practical mechanism to examine and prevent abuse by officers."

@bkksnow said: "On the day that people know what the government is doing and value their freedom, we still see hope in our society."

On Facebook, Chuladis Ratanakhumpaeng wrote: "It was like a mock test to see the readiness of the Thai government's cyber warfare team. We have seen the result. Failed at almost all the agencies. Just by being attacked by the F5 button being pushed repeatedly, the websites crashed."

To the question of whether the cyber attacks violated the Computer Crime Act as warned, Payak Chaikhan said: "I don't think we did anything wrong. We just wanted to see the government's information at the same time. When it is slow, we just pressed F5 to get the new information. If they don't want us to go there, they should have told us to access it only during office hours."

Viroj Santibunlert wrote: "What happened demonstrated that the Single Gateway does not work in practice. Netizens have shown the examples. If [the government] insists on doing it, I don't know what to say."

Kraikron Settakraikun wrote: " The Single Gateway is not supposed to be done. That will be wasting tax money. But if the websites crashed just because of the F5, that sucks."

Mate Matemate said: "The cases of the ICT Ministry's, CAT's and Internal Security Operations Commands' websites should not be called crashes. They were not hacked but they were unavailable as too many Internet users accessed them at the same time.

"This is to demonstrate that in case of a limited gateway, they would not be able to accommodate heavy use. The government should learn from this and review its Single Gateway policy.

"Roughly, it should look into the control of information, people's privacy, state agency's [sic] monopoly of Internet services, and the quality and the stability of the service as well as the effect towards online businesses and e-commerce as well as other businesses."

Not everyone agreed with the cyber attacks. Pawoot Pom Pongvitayapanu wrote: "I disagree with shooting down government agencies' websites as a means of symbolic protest against [the] Single Gateway.

"I think it is too harsh and will make the government view Internet use in Thailand as being even more uncontrollable and that will be the reason for the state to manage [it].

"Please stop before it goes too far. It's really not good. There are more ways to stop and oppose this scheme. Please calm down."

Suwaschai Lee called on "gurus" of digital security to help think of solutions to the problems.

Sittiphol Phanvilai said: "I feel as if I am watching the Hunger Games. It was only a virtual sit-in. But later people began to enjoy using the DoS/DDos attack [causing denial of service and distributed denial of service] … The prior was not wrong, but the latter was a crime.

"Actually, shooting down websites does not prove anything about the efficiency of the Single Gateway, but it makes them [the government] have a good reason to use the Single Gateway.

"The crashing of websites only meant the websites' infrastructure was not prepared to accommodate a lot of users at the same time … and over 50 per cent of websites in Thailand could face the same problem, as many websites will just crash if a lot of people go to the websites at the same time.

"On the positive side, it can raise awareness. People will talk about it. But burning will cause smoke, so be prepared to handle the result. From my calculation, the cons [negative consequences] will be more than the pros [positives]."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Debate-rages-over-controversial-single-Internet-ga-30270109.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-03

Other countries may have done feasibility studies on a single gateway buy only China and N. Korea and a couple others have written directives to implement it. The countries that have this are dictatorships. The only positive aspect for the gov and this single gateway is to give the gov total control over what is accessed on the internet. Which would mean literally they could prevent any site or info they like if they deem it is controversial or against the gov or may get children thinking of uprising. Anything they want to do once it is implemented would be easily justified in their eyes. As for P not violating anyone's rights. I think maybe the press and some politicians might disagree.

When a major and sensitive issue hits the public consciousness - the recent Erawan bombing being a case in point - we have seen an overwhelming range of contradictory and seemingly blundering statements from the junta and its so-called government officials.

Is this some kind of disinformation strategy or panic induced, sheer unprofessional incompetence?

But not to worry. I'm sure we'll soon see a convenient NIDA poll that 'proves' the majority of Thai people support the idea of state surveillance and that it won't have any impact on citizen privacy or the economy.

Uncle knows best...

When a major and sensitive issue hits the public consciousness - the recent Erawan bombing being a case in point - we have seen an overwhelming range of contradictory and seemingly blundering statements from the junta and its so-called government officials.

Is this some kind of disinformation strategy or panic induced, sheer unprofessional incompetence?

But not to worry. I'm sure we'll soon see a convenient NIDA poll that 'proves' the majority of Thai people support the idea of state surveillance and that it won't have any impact on citizen privacy or the economy.

Uncle knows best...

Using the terrorist card to take away peoples freedom. A page right out of the recent patriot act in America. George W Bush would be proud of the junta.

Complete and total garbage, They may say they want it to curb crimes but then the email you sent to a friend saying that so and so is a a hole will land you in jail

Don;t buy their argument for a minute restrictions in the hands of any government is a sight of control. Thailand means FREE PEOPLE Part of your freedom is in the knowledge that you can

access the internet unfettered . Give the government a form of control and you can be sure they will use it for good and bad That is the nature of the animal and you cannot change

its stripes.

Single gateway plus all the other Things already done and Things that will happen in the future. sad.png And many people say here is no dictatorship. When Happy G and his gang are thinking. No, not with their brains, but the part they sit on. What in hell will happen the day the one and only gateway get a breakdown? All Thailand will have a breakdown. Happy G and his gang say to the World, they want democracy introduced in Thailand. whistling.gifBut democracy means freedom of expression in speech and writing. Means that people must Express ones opinion on the government, good or bad. No censoring what people write or speak on the Internet or elsewhere. In my eyes then Happy G and his gang by leading Thailand in a direction which is not good for the Thai people and for foreign investments to the country. If this is continuing I believe that many companies will find other countries to produce their products.

God bless Thailand and it`people.

This would hurt the government's policy to promote the digital economy, as e-commerce and other digital activities would be impeded.

Perhaps I'm paranoid and certainly ignorant about what is possible with the internet. I use a forex company to bring funds to Thailand, I bank online and purchase a few items online as well, should I trust the wardens of this single gateway with all my details? Maybe I could start sharing my passwords and banking details with complete strangers, it seems I might be doing it soon anyway.

Absolute nonsense, it's purely about government control. They are merely using recent events to mask their real objectives. Exactly what the U.S. did after 911 using that event as an excuse to turn the thumb screws on citizens freedoms and rights. It's a wonder to me how 7 billion people world wide allow control by an elite few back by big business.

"the government would not violate their rights" ... but the NCPO with General Prayut as its Chief will and has.

Prayut should explain that the rights of the Thai people are secondary to the military's primary obligation to protect them from potential and perceived domestic and foreign threats. The Thai people have no choice in this priority.

I believe the PM stopped off at the NSA for a quick chat while he was in the states recently.

Totally the wrong take. A "single internet gateway" is MUCH more akin to China's "Great Firewall" than to the NSA's collection & monitoring activities. And given the cozying up to China that's been the rule of late, and the outcry that arose online over the proposed submarine deal with China, the single internet gateway initiative shouldn't be that much of a surprise to anyone, however ill-advised.

The scheme is the digital equivalent of book-burning. It would give the government the ability to deny users in the country access to any objectionable foreign news or information sources. The ability to muzzle domestic website content and media already exists. The single internet gateway is the obvious remaining piece of the puzzle.

I'm convinced....sure that they have my best interests at heart, and such big hearts they have!

And if you beleave that,you must beleave the world is flat.

And some folks simply cannot see sarcasm when is as blatant as the nose on their face.

Can anyone answer a question, maybe one of the Moderators. If the single gateway goes into place, is there a possibility that controversial postings to TVF (but within TVF's guidelines), coming from outside of Thailand, will be blocked ?

This should be setting alarm bells for a much bigger picture, the Junta are here to stay, forget elections in 2017, these bozos are going to remain the power holders in this country indefinitely.

Anyone who sees this differently has their head buried in the sand, and will be fluent in Ostrich in no time at all!!

This is a bigger issue than any of the other half assed plans they've considered implementing recently, the backlash should be strong. Internet freedom is already limited here, this is the next step towards China-like complete internet control. Based on the restrictions on internet freedom they already have in place, it's reasonable to assume that if this were implemented then they'll try and move in that direction and lock things down further.

I hope all the government sites continue getting DDoSed to hell as long as they're considering this.

A single Gateway will make it easy for Cyber hackers, they only have to aim at one entry point firewall , knowing full well that not only is the public's computers down but so is the Thai Governments and departments , business, banking , transport systems (including air) , military and security , hackers would have a field day trying to out wit the Thai IT experts ,one of the best hacking groups comes out of China , not a good look in anybody's language,coffee1.gif

"Maj-General Ritti Indarawud, head of the Army's cybercentre, said there were a number of ways to combat website attacks that used the DDoS method such as by installing computer servers behind the firewall."

yes so the same attack can bring down all of Thailand. Don't forget to change the password on you new router, put in on high ground and make sure the power stays on 24/7. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"or inside the demiltarised zone,"

interesting Freudian slip.

"expanding the bandwidth, boosting the CPU or RAM, and creating standby websites."

"All right men, we are under attack! Activate the standby websites for all of Thailand!"

"Sir! I can't access the internet!

"What? Expand the bandwidth! Now! Boost the CPU! Boost the RAM!

"SIr! Someone named bangbang4u has changed the password for the wirewall and all of Thailand! We are locked out!

"My god! bangbang4u is my daughter!"