NSC working on mega database on all Thai citizens

Lite Beer

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But critics have questioned if this sharing of information, which includes civil registration databases, will intrude into individuals' privacy. Many people may not want their financial information or criminal records to be shared or known just via a single check.

Don't worry, this is only aimed at middle class and lower... (self-censored) facepalm.gif

Edited by klauskunkel

Good, go for it. Every citizen of this world should be fingerprinted.

My government has mine, done in Bangkok Embassy twice now for a new passport.

All other information is already available anyway, just as mentioned in the 2nd post above (smedly member).

DNA, I am still at 50-50, has good and bad sides.

They could also implant a GPS chip in you butt. You can be 50-50 of what cheek they use.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

It's a great idea, and should be implemented immediately.

Any information that sits with a government agency should be available to other government agencies.

Name, D.O.B, ID card number etc, but also criminal records, outstanding warrants or fines should all be available to the police at the very least.

Schools hiring someone should be able to find out if there is a criminal history. All government departments should be able to vet for honesty.

There may be some privacy issues, but they can be sorted.

Why do they need a data base on the citizens all of a sudden, looks like the Junta are control freaks trying to retain poer as long as possible while destroying the countries economic viability.

Well, is more control and they plan to stay long time in Government ..and this will help alot ..is part of the plan

please make 100 copies of your fingerprint so that you can attach 2 to each form you fill in

They already have all your details so should be able to do away with most of the forms and copy paperwork - imagine all the administration staff they could get rid of. One quick scan of the bar code that immigration tattoo on your arm on arrival and all those nightmares of being sent for another photocopy of an obscure document will be but a brief memory.

All other information is already available anyway, just as mentioned in the 2nd post above (smedly member).

Agree. I go for DNA databases too.

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

Keep in mind, that if implemented, EVERY citizen is on the database...including Koh Tao murderers.

There wouldn't be a rape unsolved.

Words fail me.

Well, congratulations to those three that made it to this page.clap2.gif

"The Great Firewall of Thailand" and now "electronic superhighway network" can see now in what direction this country is heading and I don't like it.

"Thailand land of the Free", sure. More like "land of big brother is watching you" now

Thailand doesn't mean "land of the free". I wish I ha 100 baht for every one that told me that over the past 30 years

There are a lot of potential benefits that come with a national ID system, but also a lot of risks. It has to be marketed to the people as an enhancement of services, not as a method of promoting "security", whatever that means.

The people in the USA have long rejected the prospect of a national ID card because they already have state-issued ID and we see added risk without benefit from our identities going nation-wide.

It makes sense at a local level - being able to use a single means of identifying one's self whether you're at the DMV, library, a hospital, land deeds office or any of the dozens of points of service that a nation's people might need to visit on any given day. And if you happen to need an emergency check-in at a hospital you've never been to, having your identity along with your medical history follow you could prove to be life-saving. There are a lot of government services that could be streamlined by a national ID database.

But in a country where the government puts itself above the law, and regularly forces draconian edicts upon its citizens - a government that thinks its citizens should be subservient instead of the other way around, and has entire agencies devoted to subjective things like what is and isn't morally right - the idea of identity centralization is too soon for Thailand.

Once Thailand can go for ten or twenty years without scrapping a constitution, and its government can demonstrate that it bows to the will of the people, only then can we talk about something like this that has the potential to be used for nefarious purposes.

Any information that sits with a government agency should be available to other government agencies.

Name, D.O.B, ID card number etc, but also criminal records, outstanding warrants or fines should all be available to the police at the very least.

Schools hiring someone should be able to find out if there is a criminal history. All government departments should be able to vet for honesty.

As I stated in my post, theoretically great. Question...

What if they do a sweep of tax records and start to question your assets as you are living beyond your means? Ok, so if you are a normal working guy you are in trouble for sure and you will have some questions to answer to the tax man (and rightly so) but would they do the same for the PM's brother? Would they use this against the hi so's in society?

You are ignoring the very big question, do you trust the government with all that information in that it will only every be used lawfully and fairly for everyone?

Maybe the general can give the good example by having his data linked together first.

Then we can nicely see how his monthly salary accumulated and made him so damn rich.

I am sure he would not mind, as he is a good person, did nothing wrong, and has nothing to hide, right?

Access to that information would never be freely given of course.

But it would be interesting to do a financial statement on the general and his cronies pre and post staging the coup.

Assets and liablities, income and expenditure etc.

Including bank accounts and properties, shares etc. around the world in their and their families names.

Now that would surely reveal some interesting information about what they are really doing with the countries finances.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

An "electronic superhighway network" formally known as the Government Information Network (GIN) "

At the same time the Prime Minister also announced the formation of a parallel system known as the THAI OFFICE for NON IMMIGRANT CONTROL (TONIC).

This joint operation known as GIN & TONIC will enable Thailand to efficiently control both aliens and Thai citizens, thus ensuring total personal & economic security for the country..

also known as 'Ice with a slice' - oops! sorry that could be misinterpreted!

"The Great Firewall of Thailand" and now "electronic superhighway network" can see now in what direction this country is heading and I don't like it.

"Thailand land of the Free", sure. More like "land of big brother is watching you" now

Thailand doesn't mean "land of the free". I wish I ha 100 baht for every one that told me that over the past 30 years

​So why don't you contact the Royal Thai embassy in UK ad tell them that they are wrong

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/28

Historical Background: There are conflicting opinions as to the origins of the Thais. Three decades ago it could be said with presumed certainty that the Thais originated in Northwestern Szechuan in China about 4,500 years ago and later migrated down to their present homeland. However, this theory has been altered by the discovery of remarkable prehistoric artifacts in the village of Ban Chiang in the Nong Han District of Udon Thani Province in the Northeast. These include evidence of bronze metallurgy going back 3,500 years, as well as other indications of a far more sophisticated culture than any previously suspected by archaeologists. It now appears that the a Thais might have originated here in Thailand and later scattered to various parts of Asia, including some parts of China. Siam is the name by which the country was known to the world until 1939 and again between 1945 and 1949. On May 11, 1949, an official proclamation changed the name of the country to "Prathet Thai", or "Thailand", by which it has since been known. The word "Thai" means "free", and therefore "Thailand" means "Land of the Free."

I wonder why he not simply stopped his speech after: "People should not think…” that would’ve explained it all.

The speed of the spins in Orwell’s grave would generate sufficient electricity supply to all the forgotten remote villages in this country

The Great Integrated Database is even less likely than The Great Firewall.

These grandiose ideas cycle around from time to time in every government and every large organization. They are usually facilitated by cowardly ICT guys who want to please the higher-ups and whose favorite phrase is "Yeah, we can do that". Add the unrealistic expectations of those same higher-ups. Memories of Star Trek, with Captain Kirk engaging in a conversation with the ship's computer, gives all the inspiration ever needed.

The practical realities are painfully boring. Integration of databases is hard work. Data quality usually sucks. At some point in the process, some guy will stand up and say, "What we need is a metadata repository to normalize the variation in structures and meanings of standard codes!" This generally occurs after several missed deadlines, in the face of an expended budget. It is a sign of the end times.

And integration will improve. But not because some highly placed "visionary" made a Star Trek speech.

In the meantime, if the Thai government would publish more online, Google and a bunch of curious citizens would do a fine job, for free.

"...to spur national development and manage security more efficiently..."

Yes, the security of the Junta against the people.

The general must have toured NSA while in the USA and brought back a copy of the Patriot Act. The whole world is moving in this direction to keep their citizens corralled, mentally numb and subservient. There are lots of dots out there start connecting them.

At some point in the process, some guy will stand up and say, "What we need is a metadata repository to normalize the variation in structures and meanings of standard codes!"

Could I just point out that this is an English language forum...??

All governments tell us it is for our own good or our safety and security.

The reality is that governments love to spy on us to ensure they maintain their grip on power.

Regardless such is the way of things in our Orwellian world, the end game will be when they try to chip us... for our own good and security of course.

It would be a great idea in another country the issue here is that total power of controlling it rests with the morally bankrupt rtp, that's what normal people should be scared off