Polish priest dismissed from Vatican post after coming out as gay

Lite Beer

Polish priest dismissed from Vatican post after coming out as gay

606x341_314602.jpg

A Polish priest has been removed from a Vatican post after telling a newspaper he is gay.

Krzystof Charamsa says it is time for the Catholic Church to “open its eyes” and change its stance on homosexuality.

It comes as bishops arrive in Rome for a synod, with homosexuality expected to be on the agenda.

“My decision to ‘come out’ is a very personal decision in the homophobic world of the Catholic Church. It has been very difficult and very hard,” said Charamsa.

“I ask that you keep in mind this reality that is difficult to understand for anyone who has not lived through an identical passage in their own life.”

Charamsa, 43, and gay activists had planned a demonstration outside the Vatican, but changed the venue hours before.

The Vatican says the priest’s dismissal has nothing to do with the comments about his personal situation.

But it also says that giving the interview and planning a demonstration was “grave and irresponsible” given their timing.

It said his actions would subject the synod, which Pope Francis is due to open on Sunday, to “undue media pressure.”

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-03

Gay Catholics are going to have to more patient. Give the church another 1000 years. You never know!

As far as I'm concerned this is up to the Catholic church. Gay Catholics can choose to stay or go. This guy knew he was going to be kicked out for his action, so he chose to go.

The problems come in when that church (or any religious body) forces it's religious dogma on secular people and institutions.

Edited by Jingthing

He should have just tried to conceal being a kiddie fiddler instead of coming out as gay then the Vatican would have transferred him instead.

Why do you equate pedophiles with gays ? The two don't always go together. You should read more.

He not only came out as gay (which is OK in the church for all if you don't have any sex, how "tolerant" of them) but he also came out as being sexually active in a gay way (double whammy for a PRIEST). As I said before, it was his way of leaving the church in protest in a noisy way. Personally I don't think such theatrics help their cause, but I do respect his choice to leave the Catholic church. What took him so long? I don't understand why any gay people would stay in it ... you can be gay but you can't ever have gay sex, what kind of humanity denying BS is that? Yes, I think my 1000 year estimate for change may actually be OPTIMISTIC.

Edited by Jingthing

He should have just tried to conceal being a kiddie fiddler instead of coming out as gay then the Vatican would have transferred him instead.

Why do you equate pedophiles with gays ? The two don't always go together. You should read more.

He did not!

He did not!

He did. The statement may have been ok if the word 'conceal' had been replaced with 'pretend'.

He did not!

He did. The statement may have been ok if the word 'conceal' had been replaced with 'pretend'.

OK Yes,

He not only came out as gay (which is OK in the church for all if you don't have any sex, how "tolerant" of them) but he also came out as being sexually active in a gay way (double whammy for a PRIEST). As I said before, it was his way of leaving the church in protest in a noisy way. Personally I don't think such theatrics help their cause, but I do respect his choice to leave the Catholic church. What took him so long? I don't understand why any gay people would stay in it ... you can be gay but you can't ever have gay sex, what kind of humanity denying BS is that? Yes, I think my 1000 year estimate for change may actually be OPTIMISTIC.

Dismissed from his post, ie sacked from his job. Does not mean he's leaving the church.

It's not that he was gay, many, many are and in past centuries that is where the wealthy

could closet there homosexual sons. Since those times have changed there is no need.

The transgression was his not keeping his vows and leading protests as well. Of course

I think the whole issue is ridiculous, both having a religion whose leaders are celibate

and religion in general. whistling.gif

Gay Catholics are going to have to more patient. Give the church another 1000 years. You never know!

As far as I'm concerned this is up to the Catholic church. Gay Catholics can choose to stay or go. This guy knew he was going to be kicked out for his action, so he chose to go.

The problems come in when that church (or any religious body) forces it's religious dogma on secular people and institutions.

I think you may be looking at this all wrong...the man who became a priest knew that he was entering the Priesthood under false pretenses when he joined...knowing his sexual orientation was against Catholic church teachings...the Church that he swore to uphold, abide by, and represent to the best of his ability...now he wants to cry foul?

Think of it this way...a person who is a vegetarian joins a hunting club so they can change the culture of the hunting club...not going to happen...IMHO

I think you may be looking at this all wrong...the man who became a priest knew that he was entering the Priesthood under false pretenses when he joined...knowing his sexual orientation was against Catholic church teachings...the Church that he swore to uphold, abide by, and represent to the best of his ability...now he wants to cry foul?

Think of it this way...a person who is a vegetarian joins a hunting club so they can change the culture of the hunting club...not going to happen...IMHO

Again, it is OK to have a gay ORIENTATION in the Catholic church. Did you miss that? To act on it is not. I am not disagreeing with you about the questionable wisdom of gay people being involved in the Catholic church, but that is their free will decision. They are officially welcome ... but with limitations too ridiculous for many to stomach. Again, I don't really care what they do as long as they keep within their universe and don't bother people who don't buy into their dogma. Which of course they do ... but that's for another thread.

Edited by Jingthing

I wonder how long it will be before the church is taken to court by a gay priest (or gay couple wanting their wedding to be blessed in church) under discrimination laws.

And I wonder how long it will be before the church is forced to accept sexualy active gay preists and forced to perform wedding ceremonies.

Homosexuals have a right to be gay, but religious people have a right to their own opinions too.

Edited by teatree

Rubbish. It has nothing to do with being gay.

Heterosexuals are not allowed girlfriends so why should a gay be allowed a boyfriend?

Or should there be a special privilege for gays.

Because despite being a small percentage of the population they do over a third of child rape. The "Gay Movement" was set up by pro-paedophile activists. Mosst homosexuals were sexually abused in their childhood or youth. Australia's leading "gay activist", Garry Burns has just got caught out on a Facebook-based paedophile site. The UK's top homosexual activist (who knows Burns but Burns denies this), Peter Tatchell, who used to have a live in under age "boyfriend" and used to promote PIE (Paedophile Information Exchange), and still insists that he has friends who were raped at nine, but that it gave them joy and that they consented, and are totally normal. Harry Hay, the top US "gay activist" refused to kick out the paedophiles from NAMBLA out of their organisation, but when they were criminlizes, he lead the march with a banner, which said "NAMBLA walks with me".

That's why.

The Catholic doctrine, no in fact Christianity itself forbids homosexual relations. Catholicism goes as far to have extra-Biblical doctrines forbidding such relations and we all know how traditional the Catholic Church is. Expecting them to change this doctrine is like expecting them to turn around and say "hey Jesus actually isn't God, trinitarianism is false, Arian was always right and we should stop praying to Mary" it won't happen just like female priests won't happen.

In the end as long as they aren't oppressing gay people then they're allowed to have whatever rules they want for their organization. Since celibacy is required to be a Catholic priest I don't see why sexuality should even be an issue in their ranks. As I understand they don't say the homosexual orientation is evil or wrong just homosexual acts. The priest had a choice to make, does he dedicate himself to his faith or his sex life? He chose the later. If his sex life is important to him maybe he should become a priest of a Church that allows that instead such as the Church of England.

Personally I think Catholicism is the worst interpretation of Christianity. Most of their doctrine isn't even from The Bible but hey it's their organization. As long as they aren't burning heretics or gays at the stake anymore then they can govern themselves however they want and believe whatever they want.

For others, there are other religions or sects of Christianity that are a lot more open minded and accepting towards gays. I have no idea why gays would want to be part of the Catholic Church an organization that oppressed them for so long anyway but each to their own.

I can understand wanting to make them change their views but this is equivalent to me as a non-religious theist, storming into their headquarters and demanding them to make me a Catholic priest despite my beliefs that Jesus was just a human (albeit a very good one) and that God is really unknowable and prayer is useless.

Edited by Gandonsi

Because despite being a small percentage of the population they do over a third of child rape. The "Gay Movement" was set up by pro-paedophile activists. Mosst homosexuals were sexually abused in their childhood or youth. Australia's leading "gay activist", Garry Burns has just got caught out on a Facebook-based paedophile site. The UK's top homosexual activist (who knows Burns but Burns denies this), Peter Tatchell, who used to have a live in under age "boyfriend" and used to promote PIE (Paedophile Information Exchange), and still insists that he has friends who were raped at nine, but that it gave them joy and that they consented, and are totally normal. Harry Hay, the top US "gay activist" refused to kick out the paedophiles from NAMBLA out of their organisation, but when they were criminlizes, he lead the march with a banner, which said "NAMBLA walks with me".

That's why.

The truth,nothing but the truth.

It's perfectly ok to be gay in the USA, but not in the Vatican? blink.png

Why do you think that?

There is no rule saying he cant be gay. There is a rule saying ALL cant have sex etc.

Because the pontiff's trip to the US carried a political spin in support of gay unions, while at the same time the vatican dismisses a gay priest... Hypocrisy of the highest order... This is what khaowong was referring to ...