Information about 1997 Jomtien hotel fire

farangyourmom

It definitely was well document in Thai as it was a major event in Thailand! But I doubt you find as much online because it was long before the Internet became popular with Thais. Back then it was difficult for computers to deal with Thai fonts!

You might try contacting The 'Pattaya Mail' or 'The Nation' for Thai sources that you could access. They both reported on it in English. They have Thai staff that probably could steer you in the right direction.

Maybe this Google search will help you get you started.

Edited by BB1950

Within the 12 years I have been here, I wonder if the firefighters have upgraded their equipment with all the tall condos and hotels that have mushroomed around here. Also, this is another reminder for us who live in tall structures to make sure the fire escapes are NOT blocked or locked and to think what we would do if there was a fire. It is not the fire that kills people, it is the black smoke full of chemicals that make people lose consciousness. Knowing how the city budgets (not) for various projects around here, they seem to neglect items such as this since it is not as glamorous as removing old trees in order to renovate the beach promenade

Within the 12 years I have been here, I wonder if the firefighters have upgraded their equipment with all the tall condos and hotels that have mushroomed around here. Also, this is another reminder for us who live in tall structures to make sure the fire escapes are NOT blocked or locked and to think what we would do if there was a fire. It is not the fire that kills people, it is the black smoke full of chemicals that make people lose consciousness. Knowing how the city budgets (not) for various projects around here, they seem to neglect items such as this since it is not as glamorous as removing old trees in order to renovate the beach promenade

There are 90 meters firefighting crane that can reach about 30 floors now, I know that Bangkok has a couple, I'm sure Pattaya could afford one, Pattaya's fire brigade do get called out to help industrial fires in the various factories and chemical plants in the eastern seaboard too, so I'm sure they're trained

I moved to Thailand in 2001. I later joined the Ex Pat's club. One one occasion the Fire Dept. (as far as I can recall) were giving a demonstration on what to do in the case of finding yourself in a building that has caught fire. They showed pictures of the event you are asking about both from inside and outside while the disaster was actually taking place...how one woman lost her life simply because she delayed leaving her room to call information to ask if they knew of her husband's whereabouts, he was already in the foyer and survived. Don't know what you can do with this information but maybe it will give you an idea of where to start looking....hope your research leads to saving a life....very valuable and worthwhile work if it is put to good use.....good Luck.

The fire escapes were locked to stop people doing a runner from paying their bills.

A week before, my company safety officer had attended a seminar there.

So what was the outcome as regards that ?? Owners charged/convicted of Manslaughter ?

Have to mention, I recently for first time, went into a large fairly newly established outlet on Highway 7 (name withheld), it would be at least 200 metres long, and narrow; small entrance in centre,concrete walls all along, crammed with all kinds of flammable stuff, saw no emergency exits or sprinkler system though must admit I did not do a detailed study, but it's bothered me since and I for one will never go in there again. One would hope that a topic like this being discussed here could have some positive effect; doubt that though.

There are 90 meters firefighting crane that can reach about 30 floors now, I know that Bangkok has a couple, I'm sure Pattaya could afford one, Pattaya's fire brigade do get called out to help industrial fires in the various factories and chemical plants in the eastern seaboard too, so I'm sure they're trained

From what I understand, then, Pattaya asked for the cranes available in Bangkok, but (many different reports back then), they did not arrive.

I used to go daily down the beach for my exercise, and was so superised that they didn't knock it down but re-built the insides.

I bet if you go to that same hotel today, the fire escapes will still be locked.

Every time I go to a hotel I check out the fire escapes. One (most) I stayed at in Bangkok had the escapes locked, so robbers and people with no where to stay can't get in.

I was told, (been told this before), if there is a fire the manager on duty will unlock the fire escapes.

I was also told if I don't like the fire escapes being locked, to go somewhere else.

That same hotel is still doing business, it would still have the same death traps inside, and the responsible management/owners are probably still the same people.

I would tread lightly investigating this one! sad.png

The fire escapes were locked to stop people doing a runner from paying their bills.

So what was the outcome as regards that ?? Owners charged/convicted of Manslaughter ?

My resarch shows they were charged with crimes but then the trail goes blank (ie. foreign media stopped reporting, no idea what actually happened to them).

My resarch shows they were charged with crimes but then the trail goes blank (ie. foreign media stopped reporting, no idea what actually happened to them).

That's why I wrote, tread softly.

Reminds me of when the local fire officer and team came to my newly built/occupied condo about 3 years ago. The officer in charge didn't notice that in the meeting room the protective cover hadn't been removed from the smoke detector on the ceiling. Also, when I told him that about 70% of the fire doors from upstairs corridors to the fire escape couldn't be fully closed, he asked me whether I'd spoken to the developer about the problem. I explained that I'd been trying in vain for 6 months to get the work done, but he said I should keep trying! He flatly refused to speak directly to the developer to get the work done..

Despite the condo regulations banning the use of gas, the highlight, and much photographed part of the demonstration was about 30 minutes spent on showing the various ways of safely extinguishing a flame on a gas cylinder. What hope is there when these guys are supposed to save lives, when needed.

Reminds me of when the local fire officer and team came to my newly built/occupied condo about 3 years ago. The officer in charge didn't notice that in the meeting room the protective cover hadn't been removed from the smoke detector on the ceiling. Also, when I told him that about 70% of the fire doors from upstairs corridors to the fire escape couldn't be fully closed, he asked me whether I'd spoken to the developer about the problem. I explained that I'd been trying in vain for 6 months to get the work done, but he said I should keep trying! He flatly refused to speak directly to the developer to get the work done..

Despite the condo regulations banning the use of gas, the highlight, and much photographed part of the demonstration was about 30 minutes spent on showing the various ways of safely extinguishing a flame on a gas cylinder. What hope is there when these guys are supposed to save lives, when needed.

'What hope is there when these guys are supposed to save lives, when needed.'

Simply, none.

In Asia, always check out the fire escapes, to make sure you can get to the road, not just the first floor.

Try and book a room on the first couple of floors, near a fire exit, preferably the front stairs, as the rear ones will probably be locked in the night time.

The reality is that gas is used everywhere, notices or regulations are not a Thai strong point.

I was on the beach,saw people jump from the upper floors.The sprinklers didn't work as the main stop valve was turned off.I was told this was to save money.Ok,don't pay the testing company that comes weekly but you can still leave the main stop valve on.If the vavle was on,nobody would have died,91 if my memory is correct

I was on the beach,saw people jump from the upper floors.The sprinklers didn't work as the main stop valve was turned off.I was told this was to save money.Ok,don't pay the testing company that comes weekly but you can still leave the main stop valve on.If the vavle was on,nobody would have died,91 if my memory is correct

That's why I am so dismayed, even to today, about this killing of people on vacation in a hotel.

I flew over it in its early stages, then went down the beach and watched.

I still can't believe so many people died in that fire.

How can you have a low rise hotel like that, and have a fire, and 90 odd people die?

Asian people do a great job of self-regulating, without much police involvement. You've only got to go to a market in Bangkok, to see everyone working and respecting each other. The ordinary Thai people were not to blame.

How come a cook was held responsible initially?

Really what did happen to the cold trail or the people responsible?

It is just so sad.

Reports at the time of low water pressure at the fire site, and fire engines refilling their trucks at other sites in Theprasit that shared the same water main line as those fighting the fire at the site. Maybe these reports were not true, but ....

From the report you posted:

Firefighters siphoned water from the hotel pool to fight the blaze, which is thought to have caused at least $40m (pounds 24m) in damage.

Earlier this year,

Prime Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh called Pattaya "Thailand's greatest source of evil."

Bangkok has had a high number of hotel and department store fires in recent years. Fire safety experts in Thailand say many buildings don't meet basic safety standards.

I wonder why they put that in there. Seemed out of place

That was a totally weird placement of such a comment, out of context, in a dedicated paragraph.

It's like the (female?) reporter felt that the incident was deserved.

Edited by tropo

I still can't believe so many people died in that fire.

How can you have a low rise hotel like that, and have a fire, and 90 odd people die?

You must have missed these key facts:

1. All fire exits were locked (padlocked) to stop guests from leaving without paying their bills.

(Police said many of the bodies were found near the locked emergency doors)

The practice of locking emergency exit doors to prevent guests from leaving without paying their bills greatly increased the number of casualties. The locked emergency exits were observed by numerous witnesses, including a guest and employee of EGAT, who offered the following statement to Reuters.

We all ran for our lives to the fire exit so that we could take the stairway outside, but we found the door locked.

2. There were no sprinklers in the hotel.

3. No fire alarms were heard.

4. It took 15 minutes before they managed to connect to the Pattaya Fire Department. It took over 30 minutes for the first emergency personnel to arrive, who lacked the appliances or equipment to reach people on the higher floors.

post-34982-0-16031900-1444127012_thumb.j

This lock was obviously retrofitted. The hotel management made quite an effort to ensure guests couldn't escape. You'd wonder what was going on in the brains of hotel management when they welded those locks on. Perhaps they figured they could quickly find the keys if a fire started.

Edited by tropo

• 2 weeks later...

Went pass Na Jomtien Fire house near Ban Amphur yesterday, no big crane, so if any of those tall condos south of Jomtien needs firefighting crane, it would have to be driven out from Pattaya Third road.... horrifying if you think of the traffic to get out of Pattaya