Do smoke mozzie coils actually work?

ryanhull

Hey All,

I have been using smoke coils for some years now, mainly for the dogs on a night, I light a few of the lavander scented ones and leave them dotted about the fences.

Always wondered if they really work or not? as far as I understand it they do work but take a good 30mins + to get the mozzies to clear off, but then 50% of me thinks they have no affect at all yet I still light two or so a night for the dogs mainly as they dont like to be inside anytime, what are your thoughts? I assume they must work as they are widely bought and any resturant I go in I usually find someone lighting one under my table...

Wtahced a ew youtube vids on them, mainly based in Australia where campers swear by them but then it seems they are trying to sell them so cant be gospel.

Cheers

Once,in a small room, I did an experiment where I kept a coil burning constantly for a few days, but kept the windows open. This was a long while back, when the coils looked like a very long incense, but in spiral instead of on a stick, and had a somewhat pleasant smell (as opposed to the chemical smell you get today); the coil would be suspended on a bottle, with the center on the cap. Well, as long as I kept the stuff burning there were a few mozzies and flies on the wall that did not move! I figured the stuff was some kind narcotic for them, and that these should be used in an enclosed but ventilated area. Oh yeah, no mozzie bites at that time either, but I whacked them while they were sleeping!

they do kill mosquitoes, they fall right out of the sky, but I personally find the smoke can give me a head ache, either make sure the windows are open or in a closed room just burn 5 or 10 mins worth which should clear it

Edited by phycokiller

I have been using them regularly for some time. They certainly repel mosquitoes but I think I shall refrain from using them from now on as one coil can emit as much smoke as 5o cigarettes...http://www.worldofchemicals.com/28/chemistry-articles/an-unhealthy-sleep-how-safe-are-mosqui

The other day as I was loading one prior to lighting it I noticed that the coil had a very fine (probably nylon) line running through it, this is probably to ensure even combustion. Burning plastic even in small amounts cannot be good for you. I have no idea whether all makes of coils have this plastic line but this one ( Baygon ) certainly did.

They work quite well. Not good for your lungs in an enclosed space. We put them on the porch and notice a big difference in biters trying to get in the house. Years ago, we used a product in the USA, called "Buhach" - came in a yellow paper can; it was powdered pyrethrum flowers. It was instant death to mosquitoes. One day it just disappeared from every place that sold it. I suppose a synthetic version replaced it as "mosquito coils"

I used them for the first couple years here. Seemed to work most of the time, although some mozzies seemed impervious. I quit using them routinely, especially in confined areas.

Brought back a couple of those citronella candles in buckets from the US. Jury is still out but similar to the coils, I've watched a few mozzies come right in close when one is lit next to me.

Now I prefer to spray during the day when majority are inactive and try to kill them instead of just keep them at bay. I send some to meet their ancestors via mozzie bat at well. ZAP!

post-134393-0-78872600-1444096053_thumb.

Yes, they repel mosquitoes very well. But common sense tells me that I must be careful about too much inhalation of their smoke. We mainly use them outside. We light one at sundown right outside our door, and it keeps the bugs away from this area and keeps them from coming inside when we open and shut the door.

I also use them when I’m sitting outside (day or night) by putting one under or near my lawn chair. I place it so that the smoke is drifting away from me, so I don’t breathe it in. Also, mosquitoes initially track you by the scent of your down-wind CO2 breath-plume and by following it up-wind to you. The smoke puts them off your scents. I light it as soon as I’m outside, and this works well for me.

For safety and economy, I put the burning coil in a little steel bowl that fits it perfectly, and which I found in the kitchen supply section of a mall. It has a close-fitting lid, so that when I’m done using the coil for the moment I can extinguish it safely by putting on the lid and depriving it of oxygen. When I want to use it again, I simply remove the lid and light the remaining coil for another go.

as our boy sleeps indoors at night that is fine,but some of the day he likes to sleep under the marble table and benches outside,its where the mossie's like to hide,we used to light a coil at each end but the dog hated the smoke.so we bought 2 of those electric mossie burners with the floresant tubes.500bht.each.

do they work just have a look at the tray at the btm.enough to feed a tank full of fish.

we also leave one on in the kitchen overnight,not only kills any mossies but all those little black fkers that like to bite.

I was once told , by a Hari Krishna devotee , that in India in the old days they used burning cow dung to ward of the mozzies, and because anything from the mother cow is sacred then it is okay to use. I never did think to ask how they got the cow dung to burn without using a accelerant like kerosene or mentholated spirits. .

as our boy sleeps indoors at night that is fine,but some of the day he likes to sleep under the marble table and benches outside,its where the mossie's like to hide,we used to light a coil at each end but the dog hated the smoke.so we bought 2 of those electric mossie burners with the floresant tubes.500bht.each.

do they work just have a look at the tray at the btm.enough to feed a tank full of fish.

we also leave one on in the kitchen overnight,not only kills any mossies but all those little black fkers that like to bite.

I've tried the blue light zapper but it didn't seem to attract mozzies.

Other insects that are no bother to us were attracted, and killed indiscriminately.

And then our Geckos went hungry! biggrin.png

I was once told , by a Hari Krishna devotee , that in India in the old days they used burning cow dung to ward of the mozzies, and because anything from the mother cow is sacred then it is okay to use. I never did think to ask how they got the cow dung to burn without using a accelerant like kerosene or mentholated spirits. .

They still use this in the boonies - let it dry for a day or two, then it smoulders for ages with a quite unpleasant smell which keep the mossies and other flies away. Coconut husks can be used in the same way, but if they're too dry they can catch fully alight...

Either method works reasonably well outdoors, but not a good idea to try it in your bedroom.... unless you're a heavy smoker.

You get cow dung to burn, by sitting it in the sun and letting it dry out. Grass burns if you let it dry out. Dung is only undigested plant material.

Yes, they kill mossies. They are also commonly made from synthetic pyrethroids that accumulate in the environment and your body.

Can you give reliable references to this statement.?

Pyrethroids are listed as approved insecticides as they are safe for animals and people. They are found in sprays, mosquito coils, the small pads put in a heater, as a dip for nets.

Coils (or citronella) never worked for me. If one mozzie in the world - it will get me!

Never could understand why Noah wanted to save two of them? sad.png

DEET (spray or lotion) applied directly to exposed skin (of course much better if no exposed skin) is the only thing that ever works for me. If Dengue (or Ross River) fever is about I do not give a sh$t what people think about DEET.

Grow some lemon grass in pots and place them around your place. Mozzies can't stand the stuff. It's more natural and your wife can use it as well for cooking. I must be a mozzy as I can not stand the taste of lemon grass. Good luck and keep away from the chemicals as much as you can.

I don't know if they're still made with the same stuff, but when I was a kid, we would mess around by carrying the coils on foil and the mosquitoes would drop dead right out of the air onto the foil. The foil was just there to catch the ashes, but when we noticed a few dead ones on it, we of course had to try to see if it was really from the smoke. You could try it with the ones you have now to see if they kill as effectively as they used to or are more of a deterrent.

I've tried the blue light zapper but it didn't seem to attract mozzies.

Other insects that are no bother to us were attracted, and killed indiscriminately.

And then our Geckos went hungry! biggrin.png

electric floresant tubes attract all biting insects,but they must be the ONLY LIGHT at night. NO GOOD IN DAYLIGHT. safe to use in a bedroom and give a useful night light.

What are those black fkers? They bite me and I swell the hell up. Luckily the Gold Cup is great for the swelling.