90 day report, new passport, extension of stay stamp not transferred

This has probably been answered somewhere in the annals of thaivisa history but I can't find it.

On my last trip to the UK I acquired a new passport. I entered Thailand with the new passport and extension of stay stamp in the old passport. New passport stamped with the correct date, no problem.

I haven't visited Bangkok recently so haven't acquired the Embassy letter needed to confirm my new passport as a replacement for the old one so have not had the extension of stay stamp transferred. Will I still be able to do a 90 day report, taking both passports? I have assumed that having a new passport, online reporting will not be an option.

I think you will have a problem doing your 90 day report.

Some immigration offices don't ask for the letter. And others will waive the requirement for the letter if you entered the country using it.

You can also request the letter from the embassy by email and they will send it to you by EMS. The Consular Section email address can found near the bottom of this page on embassy website. https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok#our-services

• Like 1

Did this last week, they were not interested in the letter but insisted all pages of old pp photocopied, also new one, but just the used page and main one- which they then scanned in anyway.! Of course if I had not had the letter they would probably have wanted it.

Did this last week, they were not interested in the letter but insisted all pages of old pp photocopied, also new one, but just the used page and main one- which they then scanned in anyway.! Of course if I had not had the letter they would probably have wanted it.

Which office?

It is important to mention the office since as I wrote before some offices do want the letter.

I did mine at Khonkaen last year and they actually asked if I would like my extension of stay moving into my new passport as it was my renewal time as well as my 90 day reporting.My passport wasn't full but was nearly.

I took both passports as I have two valid ones, because I occasionally work in conflict zones or zones that can look unfavourably at other countries I have been to.

I also reported to the wrong office as my district actually falls under Sakhon Nakon which I didn't know at the time.

All cleared up in 20 minutes, for a small consideration! This suited me a lot more than travelling all the way to Sakhon Nakon from Khonkaen, only possibly to be told again my documents were not in order.

So, in answer to the OP's question, they will move it across but you are at the mercy of the immigration office you report to.

So, it looks like I am at the mercy of an individual or an individual office regarding the stamp transfer.

I'll post in the Phuket Forum to see if anyone's transferred their stamps there as it does seem I will need to do this.

Plenty of time anyway.

Thanks for the info.

whistling.gif Depends on your nationality also.

For U.S. passports they do give you a signed form letter for your immigration office and you will need that letter in immigration to transfer your visa/extension information.

Takes them about 15 minutes to copy your info and update their computer records at Chaengwattana.

And yes, they will ask for another photocopy of your new passport I.D. page.

They live by photocopies ,don't you know.

So, it looks like I am at the mercy of an individual or an individual office regarding the stamp transfer.

I'll post in the Phuket Forum to see if anyone's transferred their stamps there as it does seem I will need to do this.

Plenty of time anyway.

Thanks for the info.

You can get the letter from the British Embassy Consular Facility in BKK supplying them with old/new scans by email - return by EMS FOC- believe the procedure is now further simplified -check with them as to the current MO.

Did my transfer in Phuket Town 15 months ago and the letter was not required, however member Karenbravo reported that his/her agent required the letter at Phuket Town earlier this year.

No charges for transfer at Phuket Town.

Certainly with a new passport 90 day on line will be tricky.

Last time I was there for a 90 day, 2 months ago, it was pretty quiet.

Edited by digitalchromakey

My official Immigration office is Sakon Nakhon . I extended my visa in June without problems and was led to believe that when I came for the first 90day report the visa would be transfered to my new passport . When I arrived at Sakon Nakhon I was told I had to do a complete extension of stay documentation , so had to go home again . I live an hour from Khon Kaen and 3 hours from Sakon Nakhon . I didn't have the original of the embassy letter re income in England , so still no success , will have to fly to Bangkok to get it . I used to go to Nong Kai before , never any trouble and far fewer documents required .

I think requirements vary enormously from one office to another . Surely one should be allowed to go to the nearest immigration office irrespective of actual district .

? Extension of stay given up to date of expiry in my situation. Requested to take new passport when recieved. As so and extension of stay transferred and updated to full annual. Only requirement was 2 copies of new passport id.page. No fee.

Why do so many have problems?

A one year extension of stay is only given if the passport is valid for that length of time.

An extension of stay cannot extend beyond the validity date of a passport.

Edited by oncearugge

? Extension of stay given up to date of expiry in my situation. Requested to take new passport when recieved. As so and extension of stay transferred and updated to full annual. Only requirement was 2 copies of new passport id.page. No fee.

A one year extension of stay is only given if the passport is valid for that length of time.

Exactly that! As said. But transfer from old to new was a no cost process. Even the original 90 day report sheet was simply stapled into the new passport. My suggestion that that be updated to save me an earlier trip ( I refuse to use the online 90 day system) was met with a smile and " not this time" comment.

Exactly that! As said. But transfer from old to new was a no cost process. Even the original 90 day report sheet was simply stapled into the new passport. My suggestion that that be updated to save me an earlier trip ( I refuse to use the online 90 day system) was met with a smile and " not this time" comment.

Sure the transfer is no cost but the extension cost 1900 Bht.

Sure the transfer is no cost but the extension cost 1900 Bht.

Of course ! Paid at the time of the original application for extension. ( No discount for less than 12 months ...lol)

I think the reason people have problems is because there is no consistency between the various Immigration Offices, what's required at one isn't required at another.

If there were clear rules set down that didn't change every other week then it would simplify matters for everyone and make half the posts in the visa section of the TV forum redundant. But that ain't gonna happen!

If I recall correctly Phuket immigration will not want the letter if you entered the country with your new passport.

That seems to be the general consensus on the Phuket Forum as well so I'll give it a go next week and report back.