International Driving Permit required y/n

kdev

Hi,

I'm travelling to Thailand for 2 months and will have daily access to girlfriend car, before this I've always obtained a IDT but yesterday I brought it up with a friend and he questioned the necessity of obtaining one as he stated when he produced his in the USA they weren't interested and insisted on seeing his Irish driving licence. So my question is, is the IDP required in Thailand?

Thanks

Kdev

For what it costs, and the small inconvenience to get one, far better to be safe than sorry. In the UK, a couple of pics, fee, and a form at the Post Office, and they do it there and then.

If you have an accident, insurance companies will look for the slightest reason not to pay out.

Many car and bike rental places may not ask for one, but it is a requirement to have one for those applying for a Thai driving licence.

Edited by phetphet

Y] es it is required.

N] o, nobody cares until... you get into a serious accident and insurance needs a cop out.

Also they aren't valid for more than a 90 day stay, so you'll be OK for the 2 months, but keep this in mind for future travel.

Y] es it is required.

N] o, nobody cares until... you get into a serious accident and insurance needs a cop out.

Also they aren't valid for more than a 90 day stay, so you'll be OK for the 2 months, but keep this in mind for future travel.

They are actually valid for a year but most countries advise you that you can only use them for three months and then you must get a local licence. This is what I was told in Australia and quite a few places in which to I use the licence.. It is always very advisable to have a proper license in any country especially in Thailand. Because you could easily run over a child and even though it wasn't your fault you would be held responsible. Unless you have a driving licence your insurance company will pay nothing.

When you get one in the USA, it is literally just a big piece of paper with a copy of your photo and some of your real driver's license information. I had a few over the years but never used them so I forget just what information is in it. The document just affirms that you have a driver's license from some State in the USA. What it is good for, is if the rental car, or motorcycle rental, or jet ski shop or whatever needs a copy of something, you don't risk losing your real driver's license.

OP might be interested in knowing that the so-called IDP iusn't a permit at all, it is an official translation of the original permit into an internationally standardized format, readable by every police force in the world.

As a consequence, the document "IDP" is only valid together with the original licence, which means both have to be shown at police checks.

For what it costs, and the small inconvenience to get one, far better to be safe than sorry. In the UK, a couple of pics, fee, and a form at the Post Office, and they do it there and then.

If you have an accident, insurance companies will look for the slightest reason not to pay out.

Many car and bike rental places may not ask for one, but it is a requirement to have one for those applying for a Thai driving licence.

If you go to the Post Office, check on line first because only certain POs offer this as part of the service.

You can also get them from the AA or RAC - it's all on the various websites

I went for my car license in April this year and did not need an IDP? I showed my UK DL which I believe helped me omit the classroom/video part of the test. I think if you have nothing to show they will insist you take the whole test as if you were a newbie, but I certainly did not have or need the IDP

Thanks guys will arrange to pick one up prior to travelling...better safe than sorry.

Kdev

Don't forget that in Thailand you should have cover for 200k baht bail bond should you have an accident; the additional benefit is the insurance rep will act on your behalf.

The net is, if you don't have one and get into an accident, insurance might not cover you. Not worth the risk. The police asking for money on the side of the road typically don't care. But they may. Again, not worth the risk.

Recommended: yes, required by law: no.

Home license is sufficient provided in English and with photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much as stevenl says. By law you don't need one. An IDP is a translation of a foreign licence into English. Therefore if your licence is already in English its pointless. However, some policemen are not aware it is not a legal requirement, being able to produce one if asked may smooth your path.