Report,failed retirement extension at immigration office Sriracha

It is clear in clause 2.22 of Police Order 327/2557 that seasoning is not required for the combination option.

"(5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date."

Offices that insist on the money being in the bank for 60 days or 3 months are defeating the purpose of the combination option. It is meant to be for a person who falls short on the 65k baht income requirement due to a change of the exchange rate for their home country currency.

I have used the "Combo method" for 5 years at Phuket Immi.

Two years ago they interpreted this Clause to mean the balance had to be seasoned as the Clause doesn't specifically state otherwise (their explanation).

It made no difference showing them the Police Order in Thai and English because it came down to "I'm the Boss here" !

Fortunately I went in 30 days early and when I went back they accepted the "seasoning" on the last day before expiry of the existing extension.

So the Rule hasn't changed but their interpretation has.

That means you have to play currency speculator for three months and season a make-up balance to cater for a "worst case" scenario.

I have also had the "Combo method" refused a couple of times prior to that due to ignorance of IOs - just move to the Sgt Major or Captain.

It now takes all day and a return visit to pick-up compare with 1.5 hours in previous early years, despite a separate room just for long-stay extensions with five counter IOs !

• Like 1

Several years ago I applied at CW for a second extension based on retirement ,armed only with a suitably certified income statement as proof of monies this was rejected as I did not show 800,000 in my bank account. No agro I just explained I was not aware of this requirement The IO then referred me to a superior who explained that I required cash in bank but this time we will grant you your extension.

• Like 2

It is clear in clause 2.22 of Police Order 327/2557 that seasoning is not required for the combination option.

"(5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date."

Offices that insist on the money being in the bank for 60 days or 3 months are defeating the purpose of the combination option. It is meant to be for a person who falls short on the 65k baht income requirement due to a change of the exchange rate for their home country currency.

Two years ago they interpreted this Clause to mean the balance had to be seasoned as the Clause doesn't specifically state otherwise (their explanation).

It made no difference showing them the Police Order in Thai and English because it came down to "I'm the Boss here" !

Fortunately I went in 30 days early and when I went back they accepted the "seasoning" on the last day before expiry of the existing extension.

That means you have to play currency speculator for three months and season a make-up balance to cater for a "worst case" scenario.

I have also had the "Combo method" refused a couple of times prior to that due to ignorance of IOs - just move to the Sgt Major or Captain.

It now takes all day and a return visit to pick-up compare with 1.5 hours in previous early years, despite a separate room just for long-stay extensions with five counter IOs !

Phuket has a lot of local requirements that is not required in the police order.

I cannot see how it could be interpreted to read as seasoning is required. It says on the filing date

Phuket has a lot of local requirements that is not required in the police order.

I cannot see how it could be interpreted to read as seasoning is required. It says on the filing date

"Ours is not to reason Why? ..."

Every Immi Office seems to operate like a Fiefdom - but so does every Thai Embassy/Consulate. TiT.

Edited by Evilbaz

i think the op was wrong in the first place. as i understood he wanted to change from retiement extension to guardianship, thus min amount

thb 500.000 for 30 days, he had 600.000 only for a few days seasoned. hence immi was acting correctly.

if i m wrong with my statement, pls correct me.

wbr roobaa01

You got it wrong. There is also no guardian extension. You are thinking of an extension for the parent of a child attending school.

His daughter is Thai. He could apply for an extension based upon being the parent of a Thai. That is only 400k baht in the bank.

whistling.gif I am not being critical or abusive to anyone but as I have been in Thailand for over 5 years now, I have learned that shouting and being confrontational does not work with the government officials in Thailand.

The "rules" in Thailand are only guidelines and each immigration office and its personnel, especially the head immigration officer in that office can and do make their own interpretation of the "rules" and how to apply them.

You must learn to handle that fact and do the best you can to deal with it.

Here in Thailand, and again I do not say this in ager, but we Farang are like the Pakistani in Britain, the "Polish" immigrant in Germany, or the "Mexican" wetback in the U.S.

We are the despised 2nd class in their country to many Thais.

If you can't learn to deal with that, you will have problems living here.

• Like 1

It seems you received the maximum you were entitled to under their rules. Given that you were not prepared to ask them nicely if they could stretch a point over some that are grey areas, I do not see why you would expect any more. The immigration officers who screamed at you and your daughter were obviously low class, but you lowering yourself to their level should not make you feel good. IMHO, you gave a bad example to your daughter on how to behave.

The arbitrary rules (and arbitrary application of them) by some immigration offices is aggravating. However, you either play the game under their rules or go somewhere where the game is more to your liking.

Shouting at Thai officials does no good at all, no matter how obstructive they are; just raises your blood pressure and makes them more obstinate. Jai yen yen is always the only way to go.

Every Immi Office seems to operate like a Fiefdom - but so does every Thai Embassy/Consulate. TiT.

Immigration can ask for additional unsporting documents and such.

But they should not be allowed to go outside the written rules in the police order. Which is what they have done in this case.

• Like 1

Personally I would not have taken my daughter there in the first place especially as we all know immigration offices can be stressful. Secondly why shout take a chill pill sticks and stones ect ect. Thirdly I will reserve judgment as we only have your side of the story maybe some of the people in there you mention are on this forum and can verify the version of events.

But in any case smile say please and thank you it gets you a long way here so I've found

Thanks for wise words. This is the way to go.

I have dealt with immigration many times, never had a slight issue. Thais will treat you well, but you have to be mutual and have an understanding of their way of doing things.

Coming here and behaving aggressively and thinking of yourself superior to people here as so many TV folks do, you are definitely going to hit the wall soon or later.

Keep in mind, you are a guest of Thais, not entitled to anything. You get better treatment here than any western embassy when thais go seeking visas.

whistling.gif I am not being critical or abusive to anyone but as I have been in Thailand for over 5 years now, I have learned that shouting and being confrontational does not work with the government officials in Thailand.

The "rules" in Thailand are only guidelines and each immigration office and its personnel, especially the head immigration officer in that office can and do make their own interpretation of the "rules" and how to apply them.

You must learn to handle that fact and do the best you can to deal with it.

Here in Thailand, and again I do not say this in ager, but we Farang are like the Pakistani in Britain, the "Polish" immigrant in Germany, or the "Mexican" wetback in the U.S.

We are the despised 2nd class in their country to many Thais.

If you can't learn to deal with that, you will have problems living here.

after almost 30yrs.with my wife and having lived here permantly the past 6yrs.i too am not going to give any immigration officer any reason not to extend my stay.

happiness with my wife and beloved dog is worth more to me than getting bummed out.

you have to smile and take it on the chin,you can run into bigger problems here in LOS if you want to be confrontational,its hard for me to keep my mouth shut but at the end of the day if you dont TROUBLE LOOMS.

as it is i have been lucky nothing has gone belly up so i intend to keep it that way.

if it costs so be it.that is one thing you always have to prepare for here.

• Like 1

Immigration can ask for additional unsporting documents and such.

But they should not be allowed to go outside the written rules in the police order. Which is what they have done in this case.

According to his opening statement, he does not have the housebook/his child's registration papers, only a "copy" and therefore his documents are "incomplete".

Possibly. the immigration officials would have gotten-over his origin demeanor issues and the funds misunderstanding otherwise.

Have i read this incorrectly or the thread just taken a different path?

Why do so many farangs have problems adjusting to the way of life in Thailand?

If you scream at somebody, you make him loose face. Not a good starting point when you need a new extention.

Play the game like the Tai people do and life will be a lot easier in Thailand.

And if you get pi""ed off, swallow it or go back later.

Again, it is highly doubtful that not screaming would have changed this officers incorrect notion of how retirement combo applications are supposed to be enforced. Has anyone here argued that screaming was wise? No. That isn't even an issue.

That's it then ? in the absence of any rights whatsoever there is a magic trick just smile! and all will be magically solved. This isn't Fraggle Rock immigration you know!

The OP appears to have told the story warts and all including quite a few of his own mistakes. You don't believe him Pollyana ?

As I said I reserve judgment till both sides are heard sorry if that doesn't fit your agenda nanny mcphee

Can't wait for the immigration official to step forward, sure to happen, and why I bet they'll be at least half a dozen Thai Visa users posting their sworn testimony any time soon.

Cop out statement, it is clear you have made your judgement.

You have obviously not read the OP or mine correctly or interpreted them to suit let me help you OP stated quote "At that time immigration was full with other foreigner and thais" unquote I said maybe some of the other people mentioned at the IM office at the time might be members on here and could verify the OP. When I say I reserve judgment that means I won't apportion blame either way till I know the full facts so no I have not made up my mind and unlikely to do so as no one who was there at the time has come forward on here unfortunately. So it's still one man's word. And that is not enough in any court to convict is it ??????

Sri Ratcha is quite a small office and fairly busy, other than the day the teachers were there, they had come mob handed in a minivan, I have seen very few westerners, it is normally Asian foreigners.

The staff are nearly all female including the senior positions. The same woman has been doing retirement extensions for a couple of years that I know of, if the OP came up against a male officer then it is a recent change or a stand in.

I have always found them quite helpful and when I had the problem with my passport, they went out of their way to help resolve the issue.

Nobody here with any credibility would ever suggest screaming at immigration officers is a good idea.

Nobody here with any credibility would ever suggest that screaming at a 12 year old child after having humiliated her dad is not a deeply traumatic experience for the child and an abject abuse of power.

Oh please...I'm sure she'll get over it. There's a lot worse crap coming her way in life.

She is 12, hence a child, not even a teen ager.

The girl was in shock, she could not speak for while.

When you are 12 years old your dad is basically God. It's your reference, your idea of the future man you will want to marry, your only protection, plus here there is no mum in the picture, so her dad is everything to her.

Humiliating your dad in front of you is very violent for a child, but for her having just her dad, that must have been even worse

Then being humiliated after that without your only protection (your dad) being able to do anything must have been shattering.

• Like 1

The OP was in the wrong. Should of had clearly asked what is required. Met those requirements in coming weeks and returned. Maybe this time with out daughter as to not set her a bad example of how to deal with people. Might add we have ONE side of the story. Maybe the OP just burst out. We weren't there.

I'm glad i did away with my retirement visa,

now i do 6 months either side, much easier.

6 months in Thai, 6 months in Europe.

A Thai girl i met in Sydney, has now got P.R.

Permanent Residency, she will import her 2

children followed by her mother who will be

entitled to free medical and welfare, try it

the other way around.

• Like 2

It is not that easy.if for my liking I wouldn 't be here

I am slightly sympathetic. I appreciate, if your daughter is in school, you do not have the freedom to move on a whim. Also, self important officials can be very tiresome. However, look at this objectively. Once a year, you need to jump through hoops to satisfy the ego of some petty bureaucrat. The alternative is the risk of putting yourself, and your daughter, through a world of hurt. Perhaps, it is not just the immigration officials that have an ego problem.

I do agree. You just have to keep your cool, if necessary I have decided to just about heel and walk out the building and leave it for another day.

But, we are human, a point often forgotten on this forum, and we all have our breaking points. It's often a small straw that breaks the camel's back, and dealing with Thai immigration presents a whole bale.

Living in Thailand is perhaps easier for some than others,eg, well heeled retiree aloof to life vs struggling parent. I know who has my sympathy.

"Living in Thailand is perhaps easier for some than others,eg, well heeled retiree aloof to life vs struggling parent. I know who has my sympathy."

​So someone regarded as a loser in Farangland comes here, fathers some children he hasn't the resources to properly support primarily for his own pleasure and that engenders sympathy?

And "well-heeled" means meeting the relatively minimal financial requirements for long-stay status in Thailand?

On that basis, all the economic refugees flooding into Europe, Australia and the US are "struggling" and many of them are parents seeking a better life for their families. I assume you extend to them the same sympathy and would expect the destination countries to cater to them?

Or is there a difference in perspective if one is an economic refugee in Thailand with a pale complexion compared to economic refugees trying to enter Farangland but of brown or black complexion.

It seems that many people regard the poor who are farangs as being somehow different from the poor who are of darker complexion and Thailand as an refugee camp for farang whereas western countries are being exploited by refugees who don't "belong" there.

• Like 2

I disagree. You are reading clause 2.22 (5) out of context. It needs to be read and interpreted in conjunction with (3) and (4).

2.22 In the case of retirement:

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or

(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

Someone has 3 choices.

(3) use a min 65k income

or

(4) use a min of 800k deposited in the bank for 3 months (60 days if first application)

or

(5) use a combination of (3) and (4). (The requirement for seasoning is still there because you are simply just combining the two methods.)

I have spoken to my contact in immigration who said that seasoning is usually required, however, in cases such as you describe (shortfall in income due to whatever) they have the discretion to waive the seasoning on the bank deposit.

Apparently the "big boss at Sri Racha" confirms the requirement too. As does the immigration website.

Immigration website.

For reasons to stay of Retirement, the alien must be 50 year of age or older and must have been granted a Non-Immigrant visa, firstly. More over, the said alien must have evidences to verify his/her financial status of not less than 65,000 Baht per month or 800,000 Baht per year. Evidences showing financial support are as follows;

2.1 In case of having money in the bank account (Saving/Fix deposit) of any bank located in Thailand.

- The updated bank passbook on the date of application submission showing money in the account of not less than 800,000 Baht which has been deposited and consecutively held of such amount for 3 months. ( Except the first application for this reason, that such amount should be deposited and held for 60 days)

- Letter from the bank certified the current account in the bank of not less than 800,000 Baht; or

2.2 In case of having any other income from abroad such as pension, social welfare

- Letter from the applicant’s Embassy or consulate in Thailand verifying their pension or other income of the applicant which must not be less than 65,000 Baht per month. Or;

2.3 In case of a combination of having money in the bank account and income from pension, with total amount of not less than 800,000 Baht per year, the required documents are the same as mentioned in 2.1 and 2.2

It makes perfect sense that seasoning is still required but to give IO's have discretion to waive it for small amounts. It doesn't make sense to waive seasoning altogether so that someone with 750k and 4.2k pm income only needs to deposit the funds for one day when his friend with 800k has to show it for 3 months.

We know from reports that combination requirements are being treated differently at various offices so the best advice to anyone is to ask the office they are applying at what is and isn't allowed.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Seasoning for combo method is not required in Bangkok or Jomtien, two very popular offices. I think also not in Chiang Mai and the vast majority of offices. Ubonjoe is absolutely correct in the reading of the rules. To suggest that not requiring combo method seasoning is only done as a special favor and as a deviation of the rules is absolute RUBBISH.

It annoys me very much when people (also people without anything close to the credibility of Ubonjoe) try to promote such blatant MISINFORMATION on this visa advice forum, which is serious business.

Again, the national rule is no seasoning required for combo method. A few provincial offices are deviating from that.

I agree it is wise to attempt to discover yourself if YOUR local office is one of the outliers in standard enforcement.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I'm glad i did away with my retirement visa,

now i do 6 months either side, much easier.

6 months in Thai, 6 months in Europe.

A Thai girl i met in Sydney, has now got P.R.

Permanent Residency, she will import her 2

children followed by her mother who will be

entitled to free medical and welfare, try it

the other way around.

laugh.png

Seasoning for combo method is not required in Bangkok or Jomtien, two very popular offices. I think also not in Chiang Mai and the vast majority of offices. Ubonjoe is absolutely correct in the reading of the rules. To suggest that not requiring combo method seasoning is only done as a special favor and as a deviation of the rules is absolute RUBBISH.

It annoys me very much when people (also people without anything close to the credibility of Ubonjoe) try to promote such blatant MISINFORMATION on this visa advice forum, which is serious business.

Again, the national rule is no seasoning required for combo method. A few provincial offices are deviating from that.

I agree it is wise to attempt to discover yourself if YOUR local office is one of the outliers in standard enforcement.

Why are you getting annoyed! I'm not promoting misinformation. I'm giving opinion backed up with evidence. Take it or leave it I don't care, but I have as much right as anyone to post personal knowledge and information.

I was told on this forum that CW don't accept except extensions based on having a Thai child if you are married. I know that is wrong advice from personal experience yet people similar to you swear it's RUBBISH!

It doesn't matter how credible Ubonjoe is, the only person that counts is the IO processing the application, and when there is clearly a difference in policy between offices assurances such as yours mean nothing and my advice to ask at the office you're applying at stands.

Yes you are correct,but this is not the point.Maybe for immigration Sriracha my documents not enough for another immigration good enough or more than needed.I'm tired,really tired.I don't want treatment like I'm a thief or beggar,I'm not.yes I want sit on your lap and get a kiss,just tired,vety tired.GUess the current "mein fuehrer" government doesn't make things better

I sympathise with your dilemma. You were right, you do not need to have money in the bank for 3 months for a pension/bank balance visa extension. Unless of course the law changed since I last renewed my visa extension. Why do these morons at various immigration keep varying the written law, can they not read? I am changing immigration offices soon, from Jomtien (bliss) to Phitsanlok (unknown quantity). I , like you, will be asking for an extension of stay with pension and bank balance. I hope they can read the law properly. I will also be making my 90 day report, along with TM30 & TM28. Probably have to revert to wads of paperwork again, after just having got used to the 2 minute drill at Jomtien with the bar coded TM47 slip. As a question to the knowledgeable on the forum, is there anyone we can contact to verify the interpretation of the law.

ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU

No. 327/2557

2.22 In the case of retirement:

5)

Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than

Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

I interpret that as I must have an annual income + funds in bank(at date of extension application filing) of 800,00 baht.

If this is the case is there any way we can enforce the application of the written law?

• Like 1

Sandyf wrote,

"Sri Ratcha is quite a small office and fairly busy, other than the day the teachers were there, they had come mob handed in a minivan, I have seen very few westerners, it is normally Asian foreigners.

The staff are nearly all female including the senior positions. The same woman has been doing retirement extensions for a couple of years that I know of, if the OP came up against a male officer then it is a recent change or a stand in.

I have always found them quite helpful and when I had the problem with my passport, they went out of their way to help resolve the issue."

Ah!

That sounds a lot like Surat Thani. I expect they are used to bullying and befuddling the normal clients but got rather the shock of a lifetime when they tried it on with OP.

Whatever the rights or wrongs, it does not reflect well on them, the service providers.

Why are you getting annoyed! I'm not promoting misinformation. I'm giving opinion backed up with evidence. Take it or leave it I don't care, but I have as much right as anyone to post personal knowledge and information.

Because to suggest the vast majority of immigration offices that do not require money seasoning for combo method applications as a matter of their STANDARD POLICY based on the national rules are doing that in each case because they are doing a special favor for each individual applicant is not an "opinion" -- it is objectively FALSE. People come here for valid information.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I was told on this forum that CW don't accept except extensions based on having a Thai child if you are married. I know that is wrong advice from personal experience yet people similar to you swear it's RUBBISH!

It doesn't matter how credible Ubonjoe is, the only person that counts is the IO processing the application, and when there is clearly a difference in policy between offices assurances such as yours mean nothing and my advice to ask at the office you're applying at stands.

Well in all honesty!

JT provided an excellent posting regarding the clarification of financial requirements. And much more besides.