Bangkok Airways to Udon

charlieboy1202

Read somewhere that they are discontinuing services between BKK and UTH after 1 Nov (their website shows the usual morning and evening flights on 31 Oct but only the evening flight on 1 Nov and nothing available thereafter).

Will be arriving BKK from UK around 1900 on 30 Oct and have a long-standing (but non-refundable) booking to UTH on Bangkok Airways at 0615 next morning, ultimately heading for Nong Khai..

Does anyone have any expert insight into the chances of this flight taking place on what looks like being the penultimate day of operations?

What are the chances they'll cancel it at the last minute if they don't have a full load?

I'm assuming there's no point in e-mailing the airline as they will only reassure me all is well, even if it isn't.

Otherwise and if pessimism is in order, then what are my chances, (assuming my incoming flight is on time or early), of making it to the Transportation Centre in time to get the 2100 hrs 825 bus to Nong Khai that evening. As I recall, the bus ticket sales counter down by the food hall closes around 1800 hrs but if I can get over to the Transportation Centre in time, can I buy a ticket for travel that evening from the ticket office over there (or slide the money to the driver himself).?

Alternatively, what are my chances of getting over to Don Muang in time for the 2130 train to Nong Khai. Yes, I know it;s the hard-ass 3rd class one, but needs must and presumably I'd have no trouble getting a ticket on 3rd class.

Cheers in advance for any info/advice.

I booked a flight BKK to Udon Thani on Friday 27 November 2015. The 12.40 flight.

Yesterday I got and email from Bangkok Airways saying sorry, but the flight had been cancelled and " underneath" were details of the alternative flight they had arranged.

There were no details of a new booking, nor choice of alternative flights "underneath". Nothing.

So I emailed them and told them my arrival details in BKK, the fact that I had already booked an overnight stay near Swampy, and that one of the alternative flights they schedule (?) for the 27th would not be convenient - but would do.

So far nothing from them.

Now I see your predicament too and also await some response from them. Ha?

Like you I am booked into accommodation in Nong Khai.

At least I now see it's not a punishment for missing the flight last year.

Had a booking from Chiang Mai on 30 oct and back on 4 nov, they were both cancelled.

Spoke to the helpdesk and they were very sorry but had no alternative (I was going to Vientiane via NongKhai)

Booked NOK air from CNX but this is a late afternoon flight.

The ticket will be refunded, the telephone conversation was followed with an email where the refund info was detailed.

Will be arriving BKK from UK around 1900 on 30 Oct and have a long-standing (but non-refundable) booking to UTH on Bangkok Airways at 0615 next morning, ultimately heading for Nong Khai..

I am a bit confused.

You want to overnight in Bangkok anyway?

I don't think you want to sleep on the airport?

So why be concerned?

Do you have an early appointment/schedule in Nong Khai?

You are in a rush?

Edited by KhunBENQ

(new to this, so hope I'm doing it right)

I am a bit confused.

You want to overnight in Bangkok anyway?

I don't think you want to sleep on the airport?

So why be concerned?

Do you have an early appointment/schedule in Nong Khai?

You are in a rush?

Actually, yes I had planned to kip on SVB - I've dossed in worse places in my life !!!!!!

In a rush ? - not critically but I've only got just under four weeks in Thailand so the sooner I get up to NK the better.

The original master plan was to arrive at 1820 on Oman Air.

Prompt arrival and a bit of luck, out of SVB by 1930-ish, over to the Transportation Centre and so long as I can get a ticket then I'm on (and sleeping on) the 2100 bus to Nongkhai. This remains my preferred option but......

As insurance against late Oman Air arrival / inability to buy bus ticket, I'd booked a cheapo 950 Bt flight on BKK Airways to UTH for early next morning. For me personally, ten hours or so on SVB isn't great but it's not the end of the world.

Since then Oman Air has been re-timed to 1900, which squeezes the bus option by 40 minutes.

Meanwhile my "insurance" flight is starting to look very uncertain.

If they tell me a week beforehand that the flight is cancelled then I can make other arrangements (Thai Smile or one of the DMK airlines),

However my gut fear is that the usual Thai reluctance to give bad news will prevail and it won't be formally cancelled until we show up at check-in.

By that stage, a ticket on the mid-morning or early afternoon flights to UTH will cost a lot more than the on-line specials currently on offer.

Or it may end up being a budget airport hotel (any recommendations?) and up on the bus the following night.

Thanks for the input.

I booked a flight BKK to Udon Thani on Friday 27 November 2015. The 12.40 flight.

Yesterday I got and email from Bangkok Airways saying sorry, but the flight had been cancelled and " underneath" were details of the alternative flight they had arranged.

There were no details of a new booking, nor choice of alternative flights "underneath". Nothing.

So I emailed them and told them my arrival details in BKK, the fact that I had already booked an overnight stay near Swampy, and that one of the alternative flights they schedule (?) for the 27th would not be convenient - but would do.

So far nothing from them.

Now I see your predicament too and also await some response from them. Ha?

Like you I am booked into accommodation in Nong Khai.

At least I now see it's not a punishment for missing the flight last year.

I rather fear this may be a bad sign re Bangkok Airways' good intentions.

The regulars will correct me if I'm wrong but my recollection is that they dropped the mid-day flight well over a year ago - about the time Thai Smile came on the scene and compounded by Lion Air's subsequent arrival. Nonetheless, it has continued to show on some of their web pages and when I was in SVB about a year ago, it was still faithfully showing up every day on the departures board with the daily annotation "cancelled".

I don't claim to be a Thai expert and have only recently become a returning visitor but I used to work in that neck of the woods many years ago and frequently found that rather than give bad news, there was a tendency to smile and deny any problem existed.

Good luck. Give my regards to Soi Nittipat until I eventually make it up there

From BKK Air :

Greeting from FlyerBonus, Bangkok Airways.

Regarding your inquiry, please kindly be informed that Bangkok Airways will cancel routing from Bangkok - Udon Thani - Bangkok and Chiang Mai - Udon Thani - Chiang Mai starting from 25th October 2015 due to the commercial reason. Now, Bangkok Airways does not have any announcement about when this routing will be resuming again.

Should there be anything we can be of service for this inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact us . We are always pleased to assist you.

Sincerely yours,

Ms. Wanwimon Krabkrantham

FlyerBonus Customer Service

Bangkok Airways Public Company Limited

99 Mu 14 Vibhavadirangsit Road

Chom Phon, Chatuchak

Bangkok, 10900

Email: [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mr X,

Regarding your email, we are sorry for the cancellation flight from Chaing Mai-Udontani due to commercial reason. Flight was canceled forever.

Should there be any further inquiries or more assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We are looking forward to serving you soon.

Sincerely Yours,

Natharnatt Yaowapat

Call Center, Bangkok Airways Public Company Limited

24/10/2015, 16:23:35