Schick Quattro

outstripp11

Yeah....I like them too and have looked all over for them = none....

Gillette seems to have glutted the market along with more secondary new brands → possibly part of the Gillette marketing package.....

I've gone to the Turbo by Gillette - a pretty good blade - but it looks like they are ramping up a newer model so it may be a scramble all over again.....

Schick actually introduce a 5-blade model after the Quatro, but it never saw general markets. I was given one as a freebie five years ago, and bought a six-pack of 5 cartridges. As I only shave my neck, and do so just 2-3 times a week, I've made these last a long time. I'm down to the last package of cartridges and have been looking for replacements, but haven't seen them anywhere. For the last two years I've been 'stropping' the cartridges on a horsehide leather strop and this has trippled the number of each cartridge's comfortable shaves, but I really have to think about getting something to replace it with in about 6 months. I'm beginning to think about the older style Gillette double-edge safety razor.

Schick actually introduce a 5-blade model after the Quatro, but it never saw general markets. I was given one as a freebie five years ago, and bought a six-pack of 5 cartridges. As I only shave my neck, and do so just 2-3 times a week, I've made these last a long time. I'm down to the last package of cartridges and have been looking for replacements, but haven't seen them anywhere. For the last two years I've been 'stropping' the cartridges on a horsehide leather strop and this has trippled the number of each cartridge's comfortable shaves, but I really have to think about getting something to replace it with in about 6 months. I'm beginning to think about the older style Gillette double-edge safety razor.

Schick still produces the 5-blade model (which was, oddly enough, co-released with a 3-blade model both under the Hydro moniker) in the US but I've never seen it in Thailand.

I tried the misnamed double edge "safety" razors and found that the cartridge systems actually give me a closer shave - in addition to being much safer. No doubt the double edge blades are much less expensive though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fashion-and-style/11921133/Introducing-the-seven-blade-razor-because-five-just-wasnt-enough.html

As a life long shaver I find this subject interesting.

I do not like shaving but after say 4 days find I need to shave off my uncomfortable mess.

Yesterday one UK Newspaper had an article on a US made 'Laser' shaver, U tube vid included.

Back in my Mid East days I used to use a Barbers in BKK where an excellent shave with a 'Cut Throat' was used, the HIV scare killed that off.

Long Time ago in Brunei I used to get 'Cut Throat' shave from an elderly Sikh, probably the best shaves ever. Mind you his neck massage and neck 'Tweak' had to be experienced to be appreciated.

Before I came to Thailand I visited a Costco store and bought about a dozen trade pack. Lasted me for over 5 years.

john

Schick still produces the 5-blade model (which was, oddly enough, co-released with a 3-blade model both under the Hydro moniker) in the US but I've never seen it in Thailand.

I tried the misnamed double edge "safety" razors and found that the cartridge systems actually give me a closer shave - in addition to being much safer. No doubt the double edge blades are much less expensive though.

Thanks for the update! I had been told these were just a 'trial run' production. Now I see that Amazon is selling the cartridges... I just placed an order! I'll be set for the next several years!

The Schick Hydro 5 is much better than the Quattro and imho better than anything Gillette offers. Widely available in the U.S and Canada I could not find the Hydro 5 or the Hydro 3 in Thailand. There is another option for this and other items that are impossible to find, exorbitantly priced or 'so sorry... mai mee' crap we have to put up with here - Hong Kong. Obviously don't fly there just to pick up razor blades, but it is not a bad destination for shopping; electronics (smart phones, cameras, etc) are quite inexpensive and with HK express and Air Asia you can sometimes find flights CNX - HKG for 2,200฿ return. The last time I flew to HK I bought a camera, smart phone, hiking shoes (cannot even find my size in Thailand) and some brand name clothing and after factoring the flight, hotel and expenses I actually came out ahead and had great time.

I must be a luddite.. A few years ago pissed at the blade prices I got an antique straight and strop.. The shave was superb but required too much concentration and time (and yes some cuts) but after that got an old fashioned double edge DE blade type.. So much better shave than cartridges !! Night and day difference.

I like the dorco brand platinum DEs.. I think 35b for 5.. But feather, bic, etc etc all do a superb job.

DE blades just work better for me, along with good soap and brush.. WAY better than any of the plastic junk and a fraction of the cost.

The last time I purchased quattro blades was from Watsons. Good blades arent cheap, quite the opposite really. I was starting to get quite annoyed that the life of the blades seem to be getting less and less. Maybe as we age our whiskers get tougher?

Anyways, a few months back I saw a triple blade razor put out by Bic. Yes I thought, another cheap piece of rubbish. However I brought a pack and for just 75 baht got the razor and 3 replacement blades. A replacement cartridge that contains 4 blades is just 69 baht. Although they are not a high quality blade in comparison to other better known brands, they still manage to do the job.

Sometimes I need to do the double shave in order to clear all the `stubble` but for the cost saving over `normal` razors Im happy enough to do so.

Tesco Lotus have a good stock of Bic razors, and some of their express stores also hold the replacement blades.

The last time I purchased quattro blades was from Watsons. Good blades arent cheap, quite the opposite really. I was starting to get quite annoyed that the life of the blades seem to be getting less and less. Maybe as we age our whiskers get tougher?

Anyways, a few months back I saw a triple blade razor put out by Bic. Yes I thought, another cheap piece of rubbish. However I brought a pack and for just 75 baht got the razor and 3 replacement blades. A replacement cartridge that contains 4 blades is just 69 baht. Although they are not a high quality blade in comparison to other better known brands, they still manage to do the job.

Sometimes I need to do the double shave in order to clear all the `stubble` but for the cost saving over `normal` razors Im happy enough to do so.

Tesco Lotus have a good stock of Bic razors, and some of their express stores also hold the replacement blades.

Strop the blades 8-10 times before you shave. The results might surprise you. You can triple the number of shaves off a single cartridge, and significantly increase the comfort level of each shave. You don't need anything special to do it with either! Even a piece of denim will work, or a strip cut from the cover of a fancy magazine. (The heavy coated paper stock is VERY effective for honing an edge!) Just cut it to the width of the blades, and about 8" long, and run the razor 'backwards' (away from the edge rather than shaving into it,) along it several times and you'll feel the difference when you shave.

There IS a reason that barbers do this before they shave you...

Edited by FolkGuitar

Last Jan at Tesco I bought about three years worth of blades on sale. Cheap even for western standards. Maybe pay attention to the prices this Jan as well. I bought out the Quattros 4 cartridge packs were 78b. The green and white Gilette razors with two cart. were 129b........They were so cheap the checker had to recheck the prices.

Lots of stuff was yellow tagged so this year keep an eye out.

I've been using the Gillette Power Fusion five-bladed cartridges for a couple of years now (there's also a non-power version made for the handle that doesn't contain a battery or vibrate)- like Folk Guitar mantioned, they can be stropped on a pair of denim jeans (newer, rougher fabric works better) and made to last for a very long time (though the lubrication strip does wear out, but it doesn't make much difference with a gel shaving cream). They're on the pricey side, but they're available (sometime sporadically) at Tesco, Big C, etc. I used to have a lot of problems with irritation when I shave, but this blade and power handle combo has solved it.

image.jpg

Strop the blades 8-10 times before you shave. The results might surprise you. You can triple the number of shaves off a single cartridge, and significantly increase the comfort level of each shave. You don't need anything special to do it with either! Even a piece of denim will work, or a strip cut from the cover of a fancy magazine. (The heavy coated paper stock is VERY effective for honing an edge!) Just cut it to the width of the blades, and about 8" long, and run the razor 'backwards' (away from the edge rather than shaving into it,) along it several times and you'll feel the difference when you shave.

Would a strip of glossy photo paper work?

Would a strip of glossy photo paper work?

I'm guessing that it would! The coating that gives paper its glossy appearance is made with pulverized kaolin clay. Once that dries and hardens, it makes for a very effective strop for an edge. Some work better than others, though, so you might want to experiment. I discovered that the chic magazines had cover stock that worked better than the cheaper mags, but ALL worked well. Photo paper 'should' work very well... ('should' being the operative word....smile.png ) The very best strops are made out of horsehide, but that's getting expensive these days. Magazine covers actually work better than cowhide as the kaolin clay is more abundant than the natural silicates found in the leather.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Last Jan at Tesco I bought about three years worth of blades on sale. Cheap even for western standards. Maybe pay attention to the prices this Jan as well. I bought out the Quattros 4 cartridge packs were 78b. The green and white Gilette razors with two cart. were 129b........They were so cheap the checker had to recheck the prices.

Lots of stuff was yellow tagged so this year keep an eye out.

So THAT'S WHERE THEY WENT....YOU'RE the guy that snagged them......

These are my choice now. Was on the Gillette Vectors, but their blades went up 20%, tried these and they are both better and cheaper.

To prolongue the sharpness and life of my Gillette and Bic shaving blades I stand them blade down in a small container of vegetable oil. Works well. Been doing it for years as I purchase blades when on sale, and store them in an airtight container with a few dessicant packs, available for free from your local pharmacist from large empty pill containers. FWIW.

I think I have seen cartridge sharperners on ebay.. But the issue I have with that idea is the safety razor cartridges are inset blades, which is why they pull and or give an inferior shave, so I dont see how it 1) really reaches the inset blade effectively and 2 doesnt burr the edge.. When I strop the straight razor you want to strop both sides effectively or you create a micro burr..

For those that occasionally want to treat themselves.. This guy is good to deal with and has great soaps brushes, sets etc..

http://www.siamwetshave.com/en/product-tag/shaving-hardware/

Considering a dovo shavette as the stropping is a hassle.. he doesnt seem to stock the full length blades tho.

I shave every day with a Gilette and a pack of cartridges lasts me about 2 years...

Who sells a pack of 100 cartridges?

Checked online and Costco has 25 ct. packs.

Sam's Club has 24 ct. packs but I would never patronize the Walton's

even if I happened to visit North America.

post-84769-0-97647300-1444972433_thumb.j

I think I have seen cartridge sharperners on ebay.. But the issue I have with that idea is the safety razor cartridges are inset blades, which is why they pull and or give an inferior shave, so I dont see how it 1) really reaches the inset blade effectively and 2 doesnt burr the edge.. When I strop the straight razor you want to strop both sides effectively or you create a micro burr..

For those that occasionally want to treat themselves.. This guy is good to deal with and has great soaps brushes, sets etc..

Considering a dovo shavette as the stropping is a hassle.. he doesnt seem to stock the full length blades tho.

Just try it like Folk Guitar describes with paper and SEE for yourself. Don't have to think so much.

Just try it like Folk Guitar describes with paper and SEE for yourself. Don't have to think so much.

It really does make a remarkable difference. I'm a wus, and when you combine that with delicate skin on my neck and stubble like barb wire, it takes one hell of a razor to give me a comfortable shave. (I only shave my neck... Wear a full beard otherwise.) Just 8-10 strokes on a good strop and the difference is day and night. Any coated magazine cover stock will work very well. Just cut it to the width of the actual blades, and about 8" long. As long as you keep it dry it will last for years before wearing out.

Edited by FolkGuitar