Driver License Requirements

There is no definitive answer.

All depends where you are.

Basically.

A Non Imm Visa or extension.

Letter from Immigration.

Medical.

You might have to do a test or you might not.

Depends where you apply.

Not correct, any visa and often even visa exempt entry are accepted.

Only for 5 year license non immigrant visa or extension of stay is required.

Edited by stevenl

Passport

medical certificate

letter of residence from immigration, or your embassy

Current foreign licence - if its not in english you (may) need a translation

without a current licence, thai or otherwise, you'll have to do a driving test

Passport

medical certificate

Thank you Jon. I appreciate the information. I a license in English. So i just need to get a medical certificate and letter from Thai immigration. Thanks again!

Regarding not having to take a Test here, in my long time here everyone i know Face to Face even with a full Alien Licence has taken one. Only the Faceless and Guys in Soi6 haven't had too.drunk.gif

So if you would know me, I would be the first you know who just received both licences with the eye test only.. and I am not living in Soi 6 nor any other bar soi..

Passport

medical certificate

Thank you Jon. I appreciate the information. I a license in English. So i just need to get a medical certificate and letter from Thai immigration. Thanks again!

"just" a letter from immigration ??? I hope for you that you know the requirements for a residence certificate letter?

With a number of idiotic posts on this serious Q, perhaps someone can give my a decent answer about a renewal.

My 5-yr license expires next year. If memory serves me to get my initial license I had to go to US Embassy and get some BS notarized paper for $50. Then to my Dr to get a medical certificate.Maybe there was more, I forget.

So what do I need to walk into Mo Chi office with and come out 30-minute later with a new 5-yr license?

Thank in advance

With a number of idiotic posts on this serious Q, perhaps someone can give my a decent answer about a renewal.

My 5-yr license expires next year. If memory serves me to get my initial license I had to go to US Embassy and get some BS notarized paper for $50. Then to my Dr to get a medical certificate.Maybe there was more, I forget.

So what do I need to walk into Mo Chi office with and come out 30-minute later with a new 5-yr license?

Thank in advance

Residence certificate or work permit or yellow house book and passport copies plus copies old dl. No medical required, but watching video is required as is reaction, depth perception and color test.

Will take 1/2 day.

Passport

medical certificate

"just" a letter from immigration ??? I hope for you that you know the requirements for a residence certificate letter?

I do, I renewed my license last month in Bangkok on a 30 day visa exemption stamp.

I've never got a residence certificate from immigration, as I don't have a house book, work permit or a non imm visa, soooooooo for the past 4 years I've paid the British embassy around 3000b (bargain!) for a letter. All that was required was a current rental contract from my apartment.

Take this, a medical certificate (most clinics will do it for less than 100b - not a real medical by any stretch - less than a minute with the doc) and take all this to the DLT office, get photocopies made of passport (main page and entry stamp) and each document, sign them, get a queue number, wait for the foreigner agent to call your number, they check all docs are in order, then do the 4 tests: colour, reaction, depth perception and peripheral vision.

back to the main desk, get a new queue number and wait to sit with the foreigner agent again to take a photo and pay. I then received new licenses for both car and bike valid for 2 years.

The FIRST time I did it, I did have a international drivers permit, which officially is required, though I have read reports on here that if you have a UK DL card, then they don't insist on this. YMMV.

No driving test required, or four hour video, or questions - this is if you don't have a foreign licence that satisfies them you can drive.

No soi 6 stories here, just straight up reality doing it for the last 4 years.

Passport

medical certificate

I do, I renewed my license last month in Bangkok on a 30 day visa exemption stamp.

I've never got a residence certificate from immigration, as I don't have a house book, work permit or a non imm visa, soooooooo for the past 4 years I've paid the British embassy around 3000b (bargain!) for a letter. All that was required was a current rental contract from my apartment.

Take this, a medical certificate (most clinics will do it for less than 100b - not a real medical by any stretch - less than a minute with the doc) and take all this to the DLT office, get photocopies made of passport (main page and entry stamp) and each document, sign them, get a queue number, wait for the foreigner agent to call your number, they check all docs are in order, then do the 4 tests: colour, reaction, depth perception and peripheral vision.

back to the main desk, get a new queue number and wait to sit with the foreigner agent again to take a photo and pay. I then received new licenses for both car and bike valid for 2 years.

The FIRST time I did it, I did have a international drivers permit, which officially is required, though I have read reports on here that if you have a UK DL card, then they don't insist on this. YMMV.

No driving test required, or four hour video, or questions - this is if you don't have a foreign licence that satisfies them you can drive.

No soi 6 stories here, just straight up reality doing it for the last 4 years.

My question about res cert was more for Richard.. but actually, Jomtien immigration gave me the letter with rental contract and electricity bills"only", no tabien baan copies needed (neither blue nor yellow)..

Banglamung ignores / rejects IDL as of lately, they want a certified translation by the countries Embassy

Banglamung also does no video and only colour and depth perception test.

I know since I just got both licences from there a week ago

so the rental agreement, passport, australian drivers licence, medical certificate - go to Immigration at Jomtien and get the letter then off to transport department correct? or do i need a utilities bill as well, reason that i ask is that i have been living in hotels and will not be back in thailand until end of december but i have a lease that will start in mid december just doing the contracts now.

cheers

so the rental agreement, passport, australian drivers licence, medical certificate - go to Immigration at Jomtien and get the letter then off to transport department correct? or do i need a utilities bill as well, reason that i ask is that i have been living in hotels and will not be back in thailand until end of december but i have a lease that will start in mid december just doing the contracts now.

cheers

Jomtien wanted the electricity bills, gave me back the water & TV. Not sure you get the letter without any bills