Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the ‘farang tax’?

Jonathan Fairfield

What are the chances that someone with a white or black face is Thai

Quite high, my son is Thai but has white skin and red hair.

LOL. Nice try but I doubt there are many white skinned, red haired Thai citizens. wai.gif

There's at least one!

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand's policy is based on citizenship and not skin colour.

If you attempt to enter a Thai national park

and have a white face or a black face you are asked to pay foreigner price.

If you have a brown face (and keep your mouth shut) you are asked to pay Thai price.

Nobody in the ticket booths ever asks to see ID of nationality or citizenship.

You know this, so I have to ask, what's wrong with you?

Why do you keep attempting to deflect the discussion away from racism?

When the entrance price you are asked to pay depends on your race.

If you don't understand the difference between race and nationality then you probably shouldn't be commenting.
  • What are the chances that someone with a white or black face is Thai and what is wrong with them being asked to pay the correct fee for their nationality?
  • What are the chances that someone with a brown face and the appearance of a Thai is a Thai and how does it affect you if the occasional Thai looking non Thai gets through?
They do ask for ID sometimes. My Thai wife was asked last year because the attendant didn't believe she was Thai due to her accent. She's lived with me too long!

I just walked away after my Thai wife had told the attendant what she thought of this racial discrimination.

Bet that ruined his day.... :)

If you have a brown face (and keep your mouth shut) you are asked to pay Thai price.

If you don't understand the difference between race and nationality then you probably shouldn't be commenting.
  • What are the chances that someone with a white or black face is Thai and what is wrong with them being asked to pay the correct fee for their nationality?
  • What are the chances that someone with a brown face and the appearance of a Thai is a Thai and how does it affect you if the occasional Thai looking non Thai gets through?
They do ask for ID sometimes. My Thai wife was asked last year because the attendant didn't believe she was Thai due to her accent. She's lived with me too long!
Last year I visited a national park, in our party was a Thai born girl, of Thai parents. She had been adopted as a baby by a Swedish couple, and afterwards had spent her entire life in Sweden, speaking only Swedish and English and only having a Swedish passport. However she did of course look Thai and therefore was only charged the Thai price, while I of course look non Thai and was expected to pay 10 X more for my admission. I just walked away after my Thai wife had told the attendant what she thought of this racial discrimination.

Isn't a person born of Thai parents a Thai and, therefore, deserving of the Thai price?

I don't see how either you or the Thai/Swede were discriminated against as you were both being asked to pay the correct rate.

Edited by elviajero

It isn't. On many occasions I have been with Cambodian friends and they all got charged the Thai price.

Thailand's policy! How individual ticket attendants deal with deciding who's a Thai and who isn't is a different matter.

It's a "policy" that invites precisely this kind of abuse. The starched shirt bureaucrat sitting in the capital can claim plausible deniability, but to the ticket-taker carrying out the "policy", it's a license to scratch that racist itch. Oh wait. Everybody knows Thais aren't racist.

Of course some Thais are racist. As are some nationals of every country on earth. But the policy itself isn't.

Unless they start to insist that only those presenting a Thai ID get the Thai price a certain amount of discretion must be given to attendants. That's dodgy ground because it would be discriminatory to deny a Thai their right as a citizen to the citizen price because they don't have ID.

I'm at a loss when people like yourself want to make this a racial issue. You have a very narrow viewpoint.

...says the ostrich with his head buried in the sand...

What are the chances that someone with a white or black face is Thai

Quite high, my son is Thai but has white skin and red hair.

LOL. Nice try but I doubt there are many white skinned, red haired Thai citizens. wai.gif

There's at least one!

1/67,091,120 (est pop 2014. wikipedia) = 0.0000015%. I still make the chances small.

As I've said unless the attendants are instructed to ask for ID from everyone they have to make assumptions based on appearance, but that doesn't make them racists.

they have to make assumptions based on appearance, but that doesn't make them racists.

I thought "making assumptions based on appearance" was the definition of a racist.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

they have to make assumptions based on appearance, but that doesn't make them racists.

I thought "making assumptions based on appearance" was the definition of a racist.

Absolutely not! It's how you treat the person.

So if I were to think black people were an inferior race.

But not know or mix with any black people, I could claim not to be a racist, cos I didn't treat them badly?

You get ripped of ever ware as tourists I normally go down every year to England the Silverstone F1 race and the hotels around that area go from £55 a night to nearer £300 a night so no different from Thailand rip of the tourists for every penny you can get the cash cows will come back regardless.

But not know or mix with any black people, I could claim not to be a racist, cos I didn't treat them badly?

No. You are a racist if you believe black people are inferior.

A post containing inflammatory personal comments directed at another member has been removed. I would like to remind the poster of this forum rule:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Does that make you superior then?

At least, one good result shows this thread.

We will not meet quality tourists and expats were dual pricing is applied.

Ok, you can not be sure, those with a big grin might be these who payed local fee and think they have beaten the legal Thai practice.

I don't believe black people are inferior so no.

I am, however, far superior to people like you that pose idiotic questions!

Edited by elviajero

So by believing you are superior to me, does that make you racist?

So by believing you are superior to me, does that make you racist?

No because my belief is regardless of your race. And reinforced by another idiotic question.

More posts by a member making personal comments toward other members have been removed. Comment on the topic, not other posters.

A post containing inflammatory personal comments directed at another member has been removed. I would like to remind the poster of this forum rule:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

I just walked away after my Thai wife had told the attendant what she thought of this racial discrimination.

Bet that ruined his day.... :)

You should have quoted all of my post instead of editing it. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that was against forum rules.

Last year I visited a national park, in our party was a Thai born girl, of Thai parents. She had been adopted as a baby by a Swedish couple, and afterwards had spent her entire life in Sweden, speaking only Swedish and English and only having a Swedish passport. However she did of course look Thai and therefore was only charged the Thai price, while I of course look non Thai and was expected to pay 10 X more for my admission. I just walked away after my Thai wife had told the attendant what she thought of this racial discrimination.

Isn't a person born of Thai parents a Thai and, therefore, deserving of the Thai price?

I don't see how either you or the Thai/Swede were discriminated against as you were both being asked to pay the correct rate.

Not when that person had never been registered as a Thai,including never having a Thai birth certificate.

Not when that person had never been registered as a Thai,including never having a Thai birth certificate.

How was this baby born in Thailand adopted and moved to Sweden without her birth being registered and being legally adopted?

Edited by elviajero

More posts by a member making personal comments toward other members have been removed. Comment on the topic, not other posters.

More posts have been removed.