Expats living on their pension in Thailand, why the negativity?

JAFO

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only negative feelings that I have here are based around the fact that we, as farangs, have absolutely no rights at all here, a fact that considerably undermines one,s peace of mind. Totally legitimate tourists are sometimes given extreme hassles at immigration, you can be attacked by a thai and have no recourse whatsoever, since there is an extremely high chance that any policeman will take the side of the thai who attacked you ! Whether you know it or not, you are looked on as prey to any thai person wishing to take what you have worked for. On first arrival things do indeed look rosy, but stay here long enough and you will encounter the darker side of this lovely country :)

Compared to whom are they met with negativity?

Those on education visas? Those nasty people with the gall to teach English? Digital nomads?

This site is filled with hate and negativity. It's the nature of it. Either get used to it or log off would be my sincere advice!

Edit: Oops, nearly forgot! You're too poor, your religion sux and you're ruining it for the "rest of us". Also, you're fat and only care about whores. Yes you. Personally!

Edited by cocopops

Simple answer jealousy,some of us have the funds.Some of the wannabees (younger folks who know it all and <deleted> up) and can't go back.The older and the wiser had a Plan B,with financial backing to bale out.You will find the great defenders of this country have a financial commitment (which they won't admit').Read enough posts and you will soon work out who they are.I would recommend if you want to get an honest answer from a poster then look at their post count.The higher the count the more bullshit you will get.Only an observation on my part,no research to back it up.

Absolutely spot on!

Jealousy is the right answer. Living on a State Pension only would be impossable. But if you were fortunate enough to have had a private pension or company one then you have planned for the future and a good life style. I was advised in my 40s to plan extra for my 60s as you never know what will happen you may have to or want to retire early. I have meet these ( It's okay for you, you have a good pension) Yes but I paid for it all my working life and still pay tax in the UK. Didn't piss it all up the wall then blame it on anybody else that I didn't have a good standard of living. So I live on my Pensions by right without state Benefits. Retirement is all about Yes I will do that or Yes I will buy that and not have to plan to save for a few months.

To the ones who complain, I simply ignore them. I have both 100% Veteran's Administration and Social Security disability pension. In the states it would not allow me to live anywhere near the way I do now. Nice house, nice car, a PCX and a Forza. Helping my adopted son pay for his Master's Degree courses.

Some ask how I earned my disability. Simple. 20 years as a U.S. Marine, then suffered various injuries that left me incapable of working (for the most part). So, yeah, I earned mine - the hard way. And I enjoy it - the easy way.

Som nom na.

@robertthebruce I already live in Thailand and my wife and I built a home in the northern region. I am not near a pension age so we are living off other investments. I was just curious why I had read many negative responses about "pensioners" in Thailand. But I am with you, I think if anyone can pull it off they should go live it and it shouldn't be viewed in a negative light.

and i am just curious where you read these negative comments. i'm an active member of TV since nine years and can't recall a single one.

Surely you jest Naam. 95% of the posts on TV are nothing but whinging and whining. I live here on my aged pension from Oz. Everything is not the same as my home country, but I accept Thailand as it is and I'm happy here. Seems to me that the 95% referred to earlier are just whinging and whining for the sake of it, because I'm sure if things were as bad as they make out, they would return to their home countries. Ah that's right, they realise they are better off here, but complain anyway.

It get 50.000bht a month and i live great here but if i lived in Camerons uk i could not live there anymore,beer in the uk is about 3.50 a pint we get for just over a pound here,yes some food is more expensive,but i can live like a king, if i was back in the uk i would be in the gutter.my only moan is i pay english tax but do not get index rises in A pril out here

I am 66 and feel very fortunate and proud to be abe to live here in Bangkok on my six figure baht monthly pension from America. I can' help but say to myself "man, I made it." I hope I remain healthy so I can continue to travel and save.

@robertthebruce I already live in Thailand and my wife and I built a home in the northern region. I am not near a pension age so we are living off other investments. I was just curious why I had read many negative responses about "pensioners" in Thailand. But I am with you, I think if anyone can pull it off they should go live it and it shouldn't be viewed in a negative light.

and i am just curious where you read these negative comments. i'm an active member of TV since nine years and can't recall a single one.

I can recall a few ... but very few. However, as to cynical whiney posts about other subjects ... esp. about Thailand & Thais ... I recall many hundreds.

Some people are just plain cynical, find fault in virtually everything, and don't know how to be happy. And like old dogs, some get worse and worse as they get older and older.

Everyone is different but most people on a pension or government entitlement earned it from many long years of work. When I was much younger and still working 12-15 hours per day, I never felt any animosity toward those who had retired. One of the problems of today is that many people both young and old have forgotten what manners are. Some were never taught because of inadequate upbringing. You can see this quite easily by watching tourists from many countries and how they react in certain situations and especially when they have had a few drinks. Treat others as you would want them to treat you. It is the Golden Rule and it works.

if you want to get an honest answer from a poster then look at their post count.The higher the count the more bullshit you will get.

This is an excellent example of what a bullshit post really looks like...so posters with over 39 posts...posts bullshit?

That is an affront to almost every poster on here...good job!

Edited by ggt

mental problems, insecurity. your guess is as good as anyone's.

The people thinking everything is great over here are more likely the ones with mental problems.

And probably will be facing housing and financial problems in the future too.

I'd say the same about "the people thinking everything is <bad> over here"

Simple answer jealousy,some of us have the funds.Some of the wannabees (younger folks who know it all and <deleted> up) and can't go back.The older and the wiser had a Plan B,with financial backing to bale out.You will find the great defenders of this country have a financial commitment (which they won't admit').Read enough posts and you will soon work out who they are.I would recommend if you want to get an honest answer from a poster then look at their post count.The higher the count the more bullshit you will get.Only an observation on my part,no research to back it up.

It may be the posters with higher post totals simply see so much bullshit they have to, or simply want to, comment. Isn't posting a major reason why forums such as this exist? Are you suggesting fewer posts would be better? The backers of these forums may not agree. The forums are often evaluated by ad sponsors on the numbers of posts they receive.

I think it's a part of the trend amongst younger Brits at least to be resentful of older generations and anyone having a pension is one of those things that is riled against. There is in fact some basis for that resentment in the UK since a series of changes by government have resulted in younger generations today having a poorer deal than many of their predecessors and older generations, mostly to the benefit of the older generations. Cases in point include: university fees, availability and cost of housing, state pension age, etc. I suppose it's not so much that it's a poorer deal, simply it's a different one that results from the austerity program and from prior poor fiscal management by governments past.

I don't think this is relevant at all. Anybody living here on a UK state pension certainly wouldn't make me jealous - I can't imagine trying to get by on that little. If there is any negativity toward older Westerners living in Thailand on pensions it could be a reaction to their holier-than-thou attitude toward anybody living in the country without a long-term visa.

The UK state pension (according to an earlier post is 106GBP per week). If that's correct then it is only half of the aussie aged pension base rate (which expats receive) of AUD405 per week, viz THB24872 per month as against THB45512. Surviving on that amount of money, even in Thailand is too big an ask. At least the aussie pension is reviewed and increased, even though it's negligible, twice per year. BTW, I've used todays exchange rates for the conversions to baht.

I think it's a part of the trend amongst younger Brits at least to be resentful of older generations and anyone having a pension is one of those things that is riled against. There is in fact some basis for that resentment in the UK since a series of changes by government have resulted in younger generations today having a poorer deal than many of their predecessors and older generations, mostly to the benefit of the older generations. Cases in point include: university fees, availability and cost of housing, state pension age, etc. I suppose it's not so much that it's a poorer deal, simply it's a different one that results from the austerity program and from prior poor fiscal management by governments past.

I don't think this is relevant at all. Anybody living here on a UK state pension certainly wouldn't make me jealous - I can't imagine trying to get by on that little. If there is any negativity toward older Westerners living in Thailand on pensions it could be a reaction to their holier-than-thou attitude toward anybody living in the country without a long-term visa.

The UK state pension (according to an earlier post is 106GBP per week). If that's correct then it is only half of the aussie aged pension base rate (which expats receive) of AUD405 per week, viz THB24872 per month as against THB45512. Surviving on that amount of money, even in Thailand is too big an ask. At least the aussie pension is reviewed and increased, even though it's negligible, twice per year. BTW, I've used todays exchange rates for the conversions to baht.

It's 116 Pounds currently, soon to be circa 150 Pounds (but variable)

For every pensioner quietly going about his business, not demanding preferential treatment, enjoying his life on a nice, comfortable pension he paid into over a lifetime of hard graft, there's 20 more hanging on by the skin of their teeth financially - subsisting on food hall noodles and a happy hour Leo.

I was just finishing my breakfast while reading this post, Green curry with Chicken MaMa pot noodles from 7-11, 13bht.

No need to waste money travelling to a food hall!

No Leo though, just a mug of tea ...... but I do use every tea bag twice (less than 1bht a mug).

How can you live like that ,its disgusting , the Tom Yam shrimp one is far far better .thumbsup.gif

perhaps that's 50 Satang more expensive? huh.png

No, the Tom Yam is only 11bht, I splash out on the expensive Chicken Curry @ 13bht.

13 baht? Luxury,pure luxury, some people have money to burn ,mind you I did try that pad Thai in a box once 20 baht, wow,the extravagance

I have just moved here from UK and will be applying for retirement "visa" at the beginning of December. I retired at 60 from my job as a train driver and even after a divorce that cost me 50% of my pension and a house, I decided there was enough in the pension pot to live comfortably over here with my Thai girlfriend. We are going to have a bungalow built in Prachuap Khirikhan very soon and will be able to enjoy life comfortably over here. And this is all coming out of the pension!!! I would have struggled a little bit to retire in UK even working the extra 6 years!! So this was the best solution and gives me that extra 6 years to enjoy life after a lifetime of continuous employment in different jobs for 43 years.

Edited by worrab

I am a self funded retiree living in Thailand and have done so for the past 5 years. I have purchased a house in Bangkok which I share with my Thai wife of 8 years and enjoy my current lifestyle. I don't consider myself as wealthy but comfortable something I could not have done in my home country Australia. I have been able to do this due to my private contributions to superannuation. The only negative thing for me is that when I'm eligible for the Old Age Pension I will have to return to Australia for 2 years prior to my 66th birthday and then am not guaranteed that I will be approved for the OAP. I have many friends in Australia who may not be jealous but are envious of me. Should anyone be able to provide information as to how to receive the OAP without returning to Australia your comments would be appreciated.

I would imagine that for a pensioner w/sufficient, but not large funds, there are a lot of temptations and indulgences, in their face, but out of their price range. I guess that can make them grumpy and give them time to complain.

Makes you wonder if there is an income correlation to the negative posters…

I would imagine that for a pensioner w/sufficient, but not large funds, there are a lot of temptations and indulgences, in their face, but out of their price range. I guess that can make them grumpy and give them time to complain.

Makes you wonder if there is an income correlation to the negative posters…

That's an interesting point.

It's especially a thing in a party town filled with "two week millionaires" like Pattaya.

When I first moved here I had the background of being such a party animal tourist over many years in Thailand.

I knew I had no choice but make a major adjustment in living from that in order to make it here long term.

I don't think that adjustment in attitude is quick or easy for many people. I think it took me some years actually.

Some people can't make the adjustment and burn out here in dramatic ways we see in the news all the time and I guess some people get grumpy online, or whatever it takes to cope.

Oh well!

Edited by Jingthing

I think the majority of expats living in Thailand are contented with their lot although in the main the pensions could be a lot better if they were linked to the cost of living and subject to increases unfortunately living in Thailand excludes us from these things .

You must be British. Australian pensions are indexed

Don't really get the point of the question here.

The widespread stereotype of "pensioners" is that they are old and not rich.

As pensioners age, they indeed do get even older and because their incomes are usually fixed, even poorer.

Of course not everyone fits the stereotype.

Some people receive earlier age pensions and many pensioners are wealthy due to various personal circumstances.

Is this rocket science? Socially, old is not cool. Poor is not cool. Double those ... doubly not cool.

Of course someone in their 20's can be dirt poor and very cool ... the youth trumps.

Next ...

thank Buddha in Thailand being rich trumps being cool

I remember an incident on a baht bus.

(There he goes again!)

I got into a conflict with a sleazy baht bus driver who was trying to overcharge the bus full of mostly tourists.

I tried to insist on paying what I knew, as a resident, was the correct fare, and the driver looked like he was on the edge of getting violent (because in doing so I was informing the people on the bus they were being taken).

So a callous young Russian man started to mock and laugh at me (poor old westerner, can't afford the fare, as if) and offered to pay the driver the extra money for me. (No, I didn't accept his offer as that wasn't the point.)

Now with most of Russians gone with the crashed ruble, I like to imagine that disrespectful arrogant little PUNK as a stealth Russian soldier in Ukraine living on mush.

Oh well!

Edited by Jingthing

The biggest mistake people make is pulling the pin early on work and living on investments,These could easily disappear in an emergency.I would rather work on in my 50's,than be broke in my 60's with no job prospects.

I have just moved here from UK and will be applying for retirement "visa" at the beginning of December. I retired at 60 from my job as a train driver and even after a divorce that cost me 50% of my pension and a house, I decided there was enough in the pension pot to live comfortably over here with my Thai girlfriend. We are going to have a bungalow built in Prachuap Khirikhan very soon and will be able to enjoy life comfortably over here. And this is all coming out of the pension!!! I would have struggled a little bit to retire in UK even working the extra 6 years!! So this was the best solution and gives me that extra 6 years to enjoy life after a lifetime of continuous employment in different jobs for 43 years.

Good on you, hope all goes well for you.