Its that time again Best Christmas Lunch Venue

ChangMaiSausage

Need your recommendations, we will be in CM for the festive season.

We are a large group of friends (+ children) I've been tasked with finding the best place to have our Christmas meal in CM.

I started by looking at last years TV recommendations and also checked current hotels (though nothing is yet advertised for Dec)

Under consideration:

• Le Meridien
  • Holiday Inn
  • The Shangri La
  • The Four Seasons

Cost is not too much of an issue as its a one off and the larger venues will probably be better with the children.

Any thoughts / recommendations?

Cheers

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid we're just not in the Christmas spirit yet. No need to start worrying about your Christmas dinner venue yet. Check back with us in six weeks. Maybe some will be more jolly.

You left Anantara, Dukes, River Market, 137 Pillars, the new Akrya and a whole bunch of other places off your list.

Why choose to live in a Buddhist country and start planning 10 weeks ahead 1 meal that celebrates a pagan/christian festival?

I've never got my head around this sort of thinking.

"Need your recommendations, we will be in CM for the festive season." To judge from the text, they don't live here. Just here for vacation on the holidays. But even if they did live here, why begrudge someone the innocent and innocuous pleasure of a Xmas dinner? Certainly this mostly Buddhist Thias have embraced the trappings of the Xmas season. Are you going to go all censorious on them, too?

Life, I've celebrated Christmas with a nice dinner in a nice hotel in places as diverse as Saudi Arabia, Nigeria and China. It's the one day of the year that I reconnect with my own culture - I spend the other 364 immersed in other people's. It doesn't diminish Thailand's Buddhism to have you get together with friends and family and enjoy a bit of turkey. As for people having no money? Not everyone in Thailand is skint, nor will their foregoing dinner in a 5 star restaurant make you any less poor in return.

To the OP - I have no idea which of those places offers the best Christmas dinner but I will be keeping an eye on this thread to find out (assuming the moaning ceases and someone contributes something useful).

I have done Dukes in a couple of locations and been generally happy with it..

Despite River market being a bigger better venue.. I seem to remember last year thinking it was just on the edge of value.. Then again I seem to remember having corkage waived which balanced it out.

Nice to get a good sized table and a whole bunch together.

Had a New Years at 137 Pillars. A seriously swanky place. Felt I should have had a bow tie on to offset my thongs. Not, in my opinion suitable for very young children. Expensive, but in its own way a memorable and good experience.

Personally I think The Riverside is more of a family scene. I would call it middle of the road but quite a pleasant experience. The major chain hotels are pretty much the same all over the world. Not my scene anymore.

Yhe Holiday In gets very very good buffet style crit so of your listed venues maybe that. I go to the Red Lion, the traditional Christmas style fayre and nice atmosphere is my cup of tea and my wife who doesn't like turkey is happy that the rest of the normal menu is available.

Why choose to live in a Buddhist country and start planning 10 weeks ahead 1 meal that celebrates a pagan/christian festival?

So I guess only Christians should be living in Australia, only Buddhits in Thailand (the muslims here probably think differently)?

My opinion is that it's fine to live in any country and to practice any religion or none. If I want to celebrate my birthday, christmas, hannukah, ramadan, whatever. No problem, no matter what country I am living in. To insist that don't live the way I want (without infringing on others) is just wrong thinking. I think you need to rethink your need to tell other people how to live.

And yes, I am telling you to live the way I think you should by telling you that it's not necessary to put everyone into a box, or to put a country into a box.

I'm afraid we're just not in the Christmas spirit yet. No need to start worrying about your Christmas dinner venue yet. Check back with us in six weeks. Maybe some will be more jolly.

You left Anantara, Dukes, River Market, 137 Pillars, the new Akrya and a whole bunch of other places off your list.

Re: NancyL's mention of additional venues, ...

I would rule out River Market as huge in physical size and similarly overpriced for meals not particularly remarkable, among whose patrons are but few Thais, which tells you something.

On the other hand if cost is truly no object, last November the stunningly renovated Borneo Company teak house that has become the restaurant centerpiece of the classy 137 Pillars Hotel in the Wat Ket area had a special multi-course, prix fixe Thanksgiving dinner that prompted us to personally compliment the chef. The dishes varied in style and content quite a bit from typical fare for such holiday feasts in the U.S., but there was indeed turkey, and everything was both attractive and delicious.

Attached is a picture from the final course -- the dessert plate.

If they do it again this year for T'giving or X'mas, I can recommend it.

post-202755-0-54280400-1444645713_thumb.

So I guess only Christians should be living in Australia, only Buddhits in Thailand (the muslims here probably think differently)?

My opinion is that it's fine to live in any country and to practice any religion or none. If I want to celebrate my birthday, christmas, hannukah, ramadan, whatever. No problem, no matter what country I am living in. To insist that don't live the way I want (without infringing on others) is just wrong thinking. I think you need to rethink your need to tell other people how to live.

And yes, I am telling you to live the way I think you should by telling you that it's not necessary to put everyone into a box, or to put a country into a box.

I guess all those Thais here in the Middle East that go to great lengths to celebrate Songkran and Loy Kratong should knock it on the head too then.

Because everyone is on vacation and the children also enjoy the festivities.

Luckily not everyone thinks the same

Apologies to those who feel its too early to ask the question.

For clarification all of us who are travelling to CM for the festive season live and work in the Middle East.

I asked the question early as we will be a group of seventeen (17) hopefully giving restaurants plenty of notice would mean that a large group could be accommodated.

Loaded - My family (wife) has a house in CM but we do not live there only when on vacation (tnx: ilostmypassword you understood)

Thank you to the posters who have made recommendations, I emailed David Kitchen yesterday we have ate there several times (great food)

I'll look into the River Market again I've eaten there but its never won me over (service is poor every time) but the large grassed area in front should be good for the children without disturbing other folk. Shangri-La I'll get in touch with them nearer to the time.

Thanks again.

Thais aren't on vacation. I'm not on vacation. Most Thai schools are not Christian and they are not on vacation. Government offices don't close for Christmas so they are not on vacation as well.

A few thousand farangs are on vacation in Chiang Mai during Christmas. A few hundred of these will spend a relative fortune on a tasteless chicken substitute and a few vegetables meal. I just don't get it.

But to all those 'expats' who can't live without a Christmas dinner, enjoy yourselves and have a great day because luckily not everyone thinks the same.

I would rule out River Market as huge in physical size and similarly overpriced for meals not particularly remarkable, among whose patrons are but few Thais, which tells you something.

While I dont argue river markets usual far may leave that impression..

The dukes xmas buffet is a different setup.. Enjoyed it for a few years running.

I take my family to Bake and Bite-the original one over the Ping . Turn left after the Rivermarket ,over the old Iron bridge,turn let past the lights &right after the Antique House Restaurant There should be some signs -we go the evening before Christmas Day!

Edited by ronwparker

Thais aren't on vacation. I'm not on vacation. Most Thai schools are not Christian and they are not on vacation. Government offices don't close for Christmas so they are not on vacation as well.

A few thousand farangs are on vacation in Chiang Mai during Christmas. A few hundred of these will spend a relative fortune on a tasteless chicken substitute and a few vegetables meal. I just don't get it.

But to all those 'expats' who can't live without a Christmas dinner, enjoy yourselves and have a great day because luckily not everyone thinks the same.

My wife is Thai and she is on vacation so are my children they are on vacation.

Personally I don't care what I eat on the 25th December, however my children and other people who will be visiting CM want a Christmas dinner why should it bother you?

Why do you care how much people spend on a festive meal? If they can afford to spend a relative fortune on a Christmas Day meal then good for them.

Maybe we could all come around to your place, you sound like a blast to be around.

Edited by ChangMaiSausage