Its that time again Best Christmas Lunch Venue

ChangMaiSausage

The Holiday In gets very very good buffet style crit so of your listed venues maybe that. I go to the Red Lion, the traditional Christmas style fayre and nice atmosphere is my cup of tea and my wife who doesn't like turkey is happy that the rest of the normal menu is available.

Great if you can afford ii-must book,but I prefer Bake& Bite over the Ping.

Edited by ronwparker

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiang Mai Grand View Hotel on the Super Highway a few hundred metres up on the right from Huay Kheow Road do a good buffet at Christmas with Western, Thai and Japanese food at a good rate with good value and entertain the customers as well. I have not been for a couple of years but when I went it was great. Advise to book as it is very popular.

We have been in Chiang Mai for 3 Christmas Day celebrations. Always with a large group. Always with overseas visitors and local friends and children. We have done the lunch celebration rather than dinner and it has been at Four Seasons. Never been disappointed by the value for money, the quality of the food and the entertainment for all age groups. Our children and others have a fabulous time. Delightful place. We live quite a long way from Four Seasons so we organise a mini bus, pick up friends along the way who want to travel this way. Always a very happy occasion. It is a time that friends do visit from overseas and it is a great way to show them another part of Chiang Mai.

The other venue I would consider would be David's Kitchen in the new location closer to town, it may be a consideration for us this year as it will be a smaller group. Never had a bad meal there.

Why choose to live in a Buddhist country and start planning 10 weeks ahead 1 meal that celebrates a pagan/christian festival?

I've never got my head around this sort of thinking.

Because everyone is on vacation and the children also enjoy the festivities.

Luckily not everyone thinks the same

Thais aren't on vacation. I'm not on vacation. Most Thai schools are not Christian and they are not on vacation. Government offices don't close for Christmas so they are not on vacation as well.

A few thousand farangs are on vacation in Chiang Mai during Christmas. A few hundred of these will spend a relative fortune on a tasteless chicken substitute and a few vegetables meal. I just don't get it.

But to all those 'expats' who can't live without a Christmas dinner, enjoy yourselves and have a great day because luckily not everyone thinks the same.

Just for the record... I live in a rural village & nothing Christmasy here... except the lights I put up... & the local kids & adults love them. Few know what they are about, but they think they are cool. Also make up a BIG basket of lollies & treats & all the kids come around on Xmas eve & have a kids party.

And just to piss you right off.... we put on a Christmas day BBQ lunch for all the local friends & neighbors. Nothing religious, I'm an Atheist. But world wide it's a time to celebrate anything you like... happiness.... friendship... freedom..... a lust for life..... Life should be a celebration.

So miserable "Loaded", just celebrate on the 25th.... it can be pagan, christian, political, multi or non denominational, anything you can think of. Just try looking above your navel.

As always.... just my 2 bobs worth........ Cheers..... Mal.

I would rule out River Market as huge in physical size and similarly overpriced for meals not particularly remarkable, among whose patrons are but few Thais, which tells you something.

While I dont argue river markets usual far may leave that impression..

The dukes xmas buffet is a different setup.. Enjoyed it for a few years running.

I agree the Dukes is going to give you a good meal but a party of 17 in my opinion is to big for the one on the river or the one in the night bazaar. I think the one at the Promenada would be OK and I haven't been in the one in the Maya so I can not say. Not entirely sure but I don't believe the river one or the Night Bazaar one are a buffet. I know the one year I went there it wasn't but I was given a second helping when I asked. First time I had ever had pumpkin soup and I couldn't believe how good it was.

We did the La Meridian a few years ago and they didn't have any cranberry sauce. I couldn't believe it. Other than that it was a good meal. Cranberries are a part of a Christmas dinner for me.

The river market has it's good and bad points but I do think the space would be much more desirable especially as the OP says with the kids on the lawn.

Edited by northernjohn

The Holiday In gets very very good buffet style crit so of your listed venues maybe that. I go to the Red Lion, the traditional Christmas style fayre and nice atmosphere is my cup of tea and my wife who doesn't like turkey is happy that the rest of the normal menu is available.

Great if you can afford ii-must book,but I prefer Bake& Bite over the Ping.
Had a Christmas buffet there last year it was OK but defiantly not room for a party of 17.

Why choose to live in a Buddhist country and start planning 10 weeks ahead 1 meal that celebrates a pagan/christian festival?

Shouldn't you be back at the temple burning incense and chanting? What is the point of living in a Buddhist country and coming on TV to pester people about what they want to have for Christmas dinner?

I agree the Dukes is going to give you a good meal but a party of 17 in my opinion is to big for the one on the river or the one in the night bazaar. I think the one at the Promenada would be OK and I haven't been in the one in the Maya so I can not say. Not entirely sure but I don't believe the river one or the Night Bazaar one are a buffet. I know the one year I went there it wasn't but I was given a second helping when I asked. First time I had ever had pumpkin soup and I couldn't believe how good it was.

As of last year I think Dukes buffet was only available at river market.. Yes I know how thats a contradiction but its all David enterprises..

I actually would have preferred the dukes river location to River market.. And as we were and will be going with a large group of adults, and expect some wine quaffing and a few hours sit down and laughter.. Am personally leery of being too 'child friendly' a location.. I would lean to the less family oriented options.

But river market did the job last year very well.. Seem to recall a pretty heavy price rise ?? Like from 1200 to 2000 ?? for the same spread, but as I say waived corkage more than made up for that and I would be happy to go with a group there, especially as now I know we could probably reserve a table out at one edge where our antics wouldnt disturb others.

I think Dukes might do a set menu elsewhere but its the buffet with oysters, alaskan crab, smoked salmon, etc that my missus feasts on.. Its a nice spread..

Yes, last year the only Dukes buffet was at River Market and they served a plated meal at the other locations. Of all the locations, River Market is the only one that makes sense if there are several children who will want to run around because of the open space by the river. The two locations in the malls -- Promenada and Maya are large enough for a group of 17 but if the children want to stretch their legs, they might create a disturbance for the other diners.

If the party includes people who don't normally live in Chiang Mai, then they'll find the River Market location very pretty -- along the river and with a nice view of the Iron Bridge. Something they don't see every day. The same can't be said of some of the other locations proposed. The inside of one five star hotel looks like another five star hotel anywhere in the world.

Had to Like your post. It's so trollicious. wink.png

Also, last time I checked Thai Buddhists take to Pagan/Animist rites like pigs to mud. AND there's food..!

Although I do agree that Christmas dicussions should wait at least until after Loy Krathong, and probably Thanksgiving.. can't really arrange anything concrete at this time anyway.

I'd tentatively make it between the Meridien and River Market, although the latter tends to attract a lot of Americans. (Which may of course be a good thing; YMMV)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Just a little information because I'm not sure what we are going to do this year for Christmas for sure but we will not be doing the yearly buffet. Lat year we moved the buffet to The River Market and a lot of people showed up at The Duke's looking for it and when they found out we had turkey dinner they stayed at The Duke's and ate. So we were real busy at The Duke's serving turkey dinner. This year we were going to do turkey dinner at The Duke's but the problem is that this year there will be no turkeys. Evidently the Thai government has embargoed turkeys and the word is that there will be no turkey. So more than likely The Duke's and The River Market will just do regular dinner on Christmas Day. Maybe we will do some Christmas specials.

And while we are on it there is going to be a problem with turkey this year for Thanksgiving. The Duke's is going to have 1 seating each at The Duke's Maya and The Duke's Promenada at 2:00 for about 80 people each. On the river we will have 2 seatings for about 80 people each at 1:00 and at 3:00. I think we are already taking reservations and if you want to have turkey for dinner on Thanksgiving I would suggest you reserve a slot. In the evenings at all locations on Thanksgiving we will have regular dinner. There might be a plate or two left over but I would not count on it.

D

This year we were going to do turkey dinner at The Duke's but the problem is that this year there will be no turkeys. Evidently the Thai government has embargoed turkeys and the word is that there will be no turkey.

I had to look up to see what that embargo was about. Mistake using the search terms 'turkey' 'Thailand' so had to be a little inventive. smile.png

(Reuters) - Dozens of countries have imposed total or partial bans on U.S. poultry and poultry imports since an outbreak of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) was discovered in December. Businessinsider

• 3 weeks later...

Going thai this year again. Eating Christmas dinner in Thailand just doesn't feel the same as in cold wintery England. Christmas away from home is never the same for me.

We have booked a nice table at a Thai restaurant on the river. When in Rome..... ;-)

Going thai this year again. Eating Christmas dinner in Thailand just doesn't feel the same as in cold wintery England. Christmas away from home is never the same for me.

It's definitely different, but there are some traditions that are very good, too, just in a different way.

For example the Christmas morning thing in the garden at the Seven Fountains on Huay Kaew. That's really Christmassy in a completely different way.

• 3 weeks later...

Having spent 8 years of my life preparing up to 150 turkey dinners for others, I didn't want to see another turkey, so last year mrs Millwall_fan and I went to Mho-o-Cha in the Anusarn for a seafood lunch and then to O'Malley's for a few pints.

I'm trying to decide what to do this year and if you grumps who derailed the thread last month will allow it to restart now we are well into November, what are the options? I like a midday/1pm start with some food and a few beverages then amble round CM pooping into whichever hostelries we choose, enjoying Christmas Day to the full.

Now will that be possible this year or will my choice of venue be forced to call last orders at 2pm? what is the current information? Also does anyone know if any establishments offering traditional Christmas dinners or buffets, have yet posted their cost, timings and bill of fayre?

I like to plan these things in advance - when we had our pub I took bookings from September onwards!

Chiang Mai Grand View Hotel on the Super Highway a few hundred metres up on the right from Huay Kheow Road do a good buffet at Christmas with Western, Thai and Japanese food at a good rate with good value and entertain the customers as well. I have not been for a couple of years but when I went it was great. Advise to book as it is very popular.

2 years ago they got a new chef 2 days before Christmas. We went like we had many times over the years. The food was awful. We left everything on our plates and left. My child wouldn't eat the food. We had to take him for some noodles or something as he was hungry. It was really bad! We haven't been back since - and we used to go there once a month or so for years.

Edited by elektrified

When you are a broad (overseas), little things can be challenging!

Since you are fortunate enough to have the bairns with you for Christmas, then it really would be nice for them to feel "the love" first and on top of that, something worthy of their experiences in a foreign land/culture. Christmas breakfast at a congee stand, a few toodles about the highly festive decorated malls, and then an evening meal sitting about the footings of the Iron Bridge downing a MacDonalds special a la shakes - singing at the top of your lungs every Christmas carole you know while the normal folk fish along the river banks hoping to catch their next meal!

The experience will be a keeper!

Edited by WaiLai

Not sure of the name, the place is near to San Phranet San Sai District, next to Home Sukkapan.

Our friends own the place so we thought it would be more relaxed there than in a hotel.

A Lao restaurant on a highway out of town.. It's hard to imagine a less Christmassy location. ;)

(Not saying that's bad, of course)

Hideaway Restaurant/Cafe off Hang Dong Rd.Still the same friendly owner and staff.Easy parking,lovely garden setting for this time of the year.

Traditional Christmas fare.I guess the menu is on their fb page or web site.Why people want to pay 1,000's of baht at a Hotel buffet is beyond me but each

to his own.