Motorbike yes or no?

Thais give way easily to the most aggressive drivers.like at intersections. Do they???? Just try and be aggressive and see how long before your first accident.

Don't use aggression, use common sense and keep safe.

To be fair, I can see where this was going. Perhaps "agressive" is not the right word, but if you sit waiting for a Thai driver to give way at a junction (even if they should) then you will be sat there for ever, especially in BKK.

If you are not a little bit forceful, or assertive, you will go no-where. Literally.

I do see where you are coming from, I am saying don't be aggressive, but I have to say that in a situation where it was me against a lone Thai biker

and he was in the wrong, ie riding towards me on the wrong side off the road, I would have no qualms about causing him to come off it,

and I have done it in the past.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Riding during the day is OK if you are always vigilant. I NEVER ride at night, just asking for trouble.

I prefer to bomb around the city at night when I can go as fast as I like... No traffic jams or anyone slower to get in my way

Yes, go as fast as you like and end up killing yourself, or some innocent person. Shame on you.

Thais give way easily to the most aggressive drivers.like at intersections. Do they???? Just try and be aggressive and see how long before your first accident.

To be fair, I can see where this was going. Perhaps "agressive" is not the right word, but if you sit waiting for a Thai driver to give way at a junction (even if they should) then you will be sat there for ever, especially in BKK.

If you are not a little bit forceful, or assertive, you will go no-where. Literally.

I do see where you are coming from, I am saying don't be aggressive, but I have to say that in a situation where it was me against a lone Thai biker

and he was in the wrong, ie riding towards me on the wrong side off the road, I would have no qualms about causing him to come off it,

Wow, you have on purpose made another biker come off his bike? driving the wrong way is a normal occurrence in this country, it's not right but it's normal, can't believe you would on purpose hurt another person.

I'm in Kammala now. Been here a month. Be here another month.

I'm 71.

I motocrossed 250 and open class CZ's.

In 69 I raced a Kawasaki Triple.

In 70 I raced a Dunstall Norton.

All FIM sanctioned.

I did the last FIM Le Mans start in the USA.

Rode Harley long before helmet laws and electric starters.

Have owned half a dozen BMW boxer twins.

I want to try riding a motorbike here.

Kammala and Patong.

Surin and Karon.

I am absolutely scarred shitless.

Terrified.

If I try it possibly I'll find I worried needlessly.

I cannot afford repeated taxi fares.

So I'm really limited in what I want to do.

Am I the only one apprehensive about riding here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The answer is NO , unless you want to die a bit earlier. Rent or buy a car , it's a lot safer, especially for a guy over 70. Edited by balo

I'm 71.

I motocrossed 250 and open class CZ's.

In 69 I raced a Kawasaki Triple.

In 70 I raced a Dunstall Norton.

All FIM sanctioned.

I did the last FIM Le Mans start in the USA.

Rode Harley long before helmet laws and electric starters.

Have owned half a dozen BMW boxer twins.

I want to try riding a motorbike here.

Kammala and Patong.

Surin and Karon.

I am absolutely scarred shitless.

Terrified.

If I try it possibly I'll find I worried needlessly.

I cannot afford repeated taxi fares.

So I'm really limited in what I want to do.

Am I the only one apprehensive about riding here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The answer is NO , unless you want to die a bit earlier. Rent or buy a car , it's a lot safer, especially for a guy over 70.
Let's all stay in our houses because it is dangerous out there. Edited by Badrabbit

Wow, you have on purpose made another biker come off his bike? driving the wrong way is a normal occurrence in this country, it's not right but it's normal, can't believe you would on purpose hurt another person.

No, it was on a single carriageway road which was quite busy, and on the hard shoulder which is not the full size, as I was riding along and the first lane was busy. I saw this idiot riding towards me so I slowed down, I was not moving out to the 1st lane and risk getting hit from behind. the idiot moved to the inside and skidded on the gravel and came off his bike, just like me he was riding very slow at that point. Would you have put your life in danger by moving out in front of the traveling vehicles?

No, it was on a single carriageway road which was quite busy, and on the hard shoulder which is not the full size, as I was riding along and the first lane was busy. I saw this idiot riding towards me so I slowed down, I was not moving out to the 1st lane and risk getting hit from behind. the idiot moved to the inside and skidded on the gravel and came off his bike, just like me he was riding very slow at that point. Would you have put your life in danger by moving out in front of the traveling vehicles?

Sorry, he was riding very slow yet he skidded on gravel, how slow is slow? you have stated that you have on purpose forced another rider to crash, can't comment on the circumstances but people driving the wrong way is a daily occurrence, it's something you have to be aware of constantly.

I have just come back from a 2000km trip mostly using the shoulder, many times I had bikes coming at me on the wrong side of the road, did not have a problem once, just smiled and they smiled back.

Edited by Badrabbit

Sorry, he was riding very slow yet he skidded on gravel, how slow is slow? you have stated that you have on purpose forced another rider to crash, can't comment on the circumstances but people driving the wrong way is a daily occurrence, it's something you have to be aware of constantly.

How slow is slow? it was about the same speed as a person jogging, and the guy got what he deserved. Just because this is Thailand it is OK to ride on the wrong side of the road and put another riders life in danger, it is classed as normal. Sorry, but if some idiot thinks it is ok to put my life and well being at risk just because he cannot be bothered to ride on the right side of the road, then I do not agree.

How slow is slow? it was about the same speed as a person jogging, and the guy got what he deserved. Just because this is Thailand it is OK to ride on the wrong side of the road and put another riders life in danger, it is classed as normal. Sorry, but if some idiot thinks it is ok to put my life and well being at risk just because he cannot be bothered to ride on the right side of the road, then I do not agree.

Just because it's Thailand does not make it right to brake the law, how long have you been driving here? what do you suggest should happen to make all drivers, riders obey the law here?

I would love to go out on my bike and see everyone wearing crash helmets, see people driving at a sensible speed, stopping at red lights, not having to deal with tail gating morons, people driving in the right direction, when do you think this will happen? Never is the answer! get used it or just stay at home 24 hrs a day.

Edited by Badrabbit

"Just because it's Thailand does not make it right to brake the law, how long have you been driving here? what do you suggest should happen to make all drivers, riders obey the law here?"

"and just who was it who broke the law?" me????? I was not riding on the wrong side of the road, I slowed down when I saw the idiot coming, he chose to ride on the gravel on his right hand side and

toppled over. Do you think I should have ridden on to the gravel? No way?

"what do you suggest should happen to make all drivers, riders obey the law here?" Law enforcement for a start. "when do you think this will happen?" As you say, never, and I am used to it, and anyone who is breaking the law and putting me in danger, deserves all they get.

One more thing, I was ready to stop if he did, the fact that he did not caused him to topple over.

"Just because it's Thailand does not make it right to brake the law, how long have you been driving here? what do you suggest should happen to make all drivers, riders obey the law here?"

"and just who was it who broke the law?" me????? I was not riding on the wrong side of the road, I slowed down when I saw the idiot coming, he chose to ride on the gravel on his right hand side and

"what do you suggest should happen to make all drivers, riders obey the law here?" Law enforcement for a start. "when do you think this will happen?" As you say, never, and I am used to it, and anyone who is breaking the law and putting me in danger, deserves all they get.

One more thing, I was ready to stop if he did, the fact that he did not caused him to topple over.

Badrabbit, I see you never answered the last sentence on my post #70.

Assuming you are traveling at the same speed as the other vehicles I don't see how you would have risked your life, did you see this person at the last second or did you see him in the distance?

Instead of slowing down after seeing this idiot coming towards you( suggests you had time to move into the n/s lane and stay safe.

Edited by Badrabbit

Assuming you are traveling at the same speed as the other vehicles I don't see how you would have risked your life, did you see this person at the last second or did you see him in the distance?

Instead of slowing down after seeing this idiot coming towards you( suggests you had time to move into the n/s lane and stay safe.

Saw him in the distance, and had plenty of time to move to my left, I'm surprised you even asked that, you are a motorcyclist aren't you?

Don't you know that riding on dry gravel can be as lethal as riding on ice, and you expect me to do that at great risk to myself to let him pass when he was breaking the law in the first place????????

OK, we will just agree to disagree, and end the debate, we are so far apart it is not worthwhile carrying it on.

Saw him in the distance, and had plenty of time to move to my left, I'm surprised you even asked that, you are a motorcyclist aren't you?

Don't you know that riding on dry gravel can be as lethal as riding on ice, and you expect me to do that at great risk to myself to let him pass when he was breaking the law in the first place????????

OK, we will just agree to disagree, and end the debate, we are so far apart it is not worthwhile carrying it on.

You mean "had plenty of time to move to my right" ? unless you were traveling in the wrong direction yourself, I'm confused, if you saw him in the distance why didn't you simply join the n/s lane and avoid the idiot?

Yep confusion, if you saw him in the distance simply move into the n/s lane with the rest of the traffic and Let the idiot pass.

Edited by Badrabbit

No Badrabbit, read it again, I said "MOVE TO MY LEFT", now this debate is finished.

Why would you move to your left???? explain?

If you are driving on the shoulder in the correct direction why on earth would you move to your left and allow a driver traveling in the wrong direction to pass you on your o/s?

Edited by Badrabbit

No Badrabbit, read it again, I said "MOVE TO MY LEFT", now this debate is finished.

Why would you move to your left???? explain?

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif
Crazy!!

Can you two stop abusing this thread for your personal bitching? You're worse than the old ladyboy hookers on Soi 6 fighting over a customer..

To answer your question

Yes go for it without any more dilly dallying

I too am 71 and ride my 2010 Yamaha 135 cc nouveau around Pattaya all the time and also my Cycle an 29er Hybrid

One poster mentioned your fear and I must say that when I started driving a motor cycle around here many years ago I used the "defensive driving techniques" because I too was scared shitless but they didn't work over here

The only safe place on Pattaya roads is to be on the front line which means a slightly aggressive driving style

Now before all the posters start to give me grief for that last remark you and all the experienced riders in Thailand will understand what I meant which is nothing to do with being an aggressive rider!

You have to be in control and ready for any event and there will be millions of them (events that is) but if you do have an accident then make sure that it isn't your fault, the Thai courts can be sometimes a bit biased in favour of the poor Thai when it comes to equating responsibility or blame in the event of an "accident" which clearly may not have been your fault

Oh and in this edit some info that is absolutely essential

be vary careful when there is any sand on the road especially in braking or just going on a gentle bend the thin tyres on my Yamaha are notoriously unstable and maybe on other scooters as well

The perfect post as to why NOT ride a bike in LOS......laugh.png

Trans, read my post #74.

To answer your question

I too am 71 and ride my 2010 Yamaha 135 cc nouveau around Pattaya all the time and also my Cycle an 29er Hybrid

One poster mentioned your fear and I must say that when I started driving a motor cycle around here many years ago I used the "defensive driving techniques" because I too was scared shitless but they didn't work over here

The only safe place on Pattaya roads is to be on the front line which means a slightly aggressive driving style

Now before all the posters start to give me grief for that last remark you and all the experienced riders in Thailand will understand what I meant which is nothing to do with being an aggressive rider!

You have to be in control and ready for any event and there will be millions of them (events that is) but if you do have an accident then make sure that it isn't your fault, the Thai courts can be sometimes a bit biased in favour of the poor Thai when it comes to equating responsibility or blame in the event of an "accident" which clearly may not have been your fault

be vary careful when there is any sand on the road especially in braking or just going on a gentle bend the thin tyres on my Yamaha are notoriously unstable and maybe on other scooters as well

Trans, read my post #74.

You set a bad example to other bikers, you have stated you on purpose cause other riders to fall. You move to your left on purpose to make the illegal rider take his far right and go onto gravel, not good! the OP has had lots of advice I'm sure he can now make up his own mind, good luck op with the riding.

To answer your question

Trans, read my post #74.

You set a bad example to other bikers, you have stated you on purpose cause other riders to fall. You move to your left on purpose to make the illegal rider take his far right and go onto gravel, not good! the OP has had lots of advice I'm sure he can now make up his own mind, good luck op with the riding.

To answer your question

Trans, read my post #74.

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Where exactly is this?

But yes you are right, this thread is about helping this guy get back into biking. Hopefully he is ignoring this crap and is back on who wheels

I think the OP has long given up.

If i read his post correctly he said he is only here for 1 more month;

Where exactly is this?

But yes you are right, this thread is about helping this guy get back into biking. Hopefully he is ignoring this crap and is back on who wheels

I think the OP has long given up.

If i read his post correctly he said he is only here for 1 more month;

I think so, like so many other threads on tv if not all there is some deviation from the OP, good job as so many threads become very boring, just like this one.

Swiss1960. Neither me or Badrabbit has been abusing this thread, nobody is forcing you to read it, just what is wrong with two posters having a debate, is that not partly what Thaivisa is about?

There has been no nastiness between us, I finished the debate and said we will have to agree to disagree, so there was no need for your stupid ladyboy comments, so just run along back to your ladyboys and gie us peace.

Edited by possum1931

After driving bikes of all sizes for over 40 yrs I have decided it's time to quit and get a car for my long trips, myself and another poster have had a good decent debate, there is always someone to try and turn it into something nasty, stay safe everyone.

Swiss1960. Neither me or Badrabbit has been abusing this thread, nobody is forcing you to read it, just what is wrong with two posters having a debate, is that not partly what Thaivisa is about?

There has been no nastiness between us, I finished the debate and said we will have to agree to disagree, so there was no need for your stupid ladyboy comments, so just run along back to your ladyboys and gie us peace.

I really likely the way you posted the four coffee cup emoticons in #88.

That is so dang clever.

I wish I could come with witty stuff like that.