Police lodge complaints against rioters

webfact

PHUKET
Police lodge complaints against rioters

Jessada Jantarak,
Salinee Prab
The Nation

30270918-01_big.jpg

PHUKET: -- AS MANY as 17 policemen who were injured during a Phuket riot last weekend have come forward to lodge complaints against suspected rioters.

National police chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda yesterday said people and businesses affected by the riot, which raged on from Saturday night to early Sunday in Phuket's Thalang district, could also come forward.

"Airlines and people living in the area, for example, may file complaints if they have suffered adverse impacts," he said.

Hundreds of people went on a rampage in front of the Thalang Police Station after the deaths of two young drug suspects who were fatally injured in a road accident during a police chase.

During the riot, some angry demonstrators attacked policemen. They also set fire to vehicles parked at the police station and hurled rocks at the building, causing property damage.

Some sources said that as many rioters had also blocked local roads, some people missed their flights and an ambulance faced difficulty taking an emergency patient to a hospital.

Phuket police chief Pol Maj-General Patchara Boonyasit yesterday said 10 vehicles were damaged during the riot. He said two of them were state property, while the rest belonged to policemen.

"Vehicle damages are estimated at about Bt5 million. The police-station building also sustained damages of about Bt1.4 million," he said.

He said police were urgently gathering evidence to back the issuance of arrest warrants for at least nine key instigators of the riot.

Some of these suspects have left Phuket in the wake of the riot, apparently for fear of being prosecuted.

"But such offences have a statute of limitations of at least 10 years. We can track them down later," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-lodge-complaints-against-rioters-30270918.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-15

"But such offences have a statute of limitations of at least 10 years. We can track them down later," he said.

yes.. why do any work today? thank god they did not burn the television. what time is the game on?

Edited by NCC1701A

Try them in court and any damages awarded against them, still owing after the sale of all assets, can be worked off in jail at the same rate as a farang banged up in the IDC for overstaying, who can't pay the fine - 200 baht per day.

Oh well - I'll just dream on.

The question has to be asked just why did this all erupt , the police are entitled to compensation that should be the domain of the insurance that the government should insure them at and free medical insurance, well all police should be smile.png , the larger problem is why all this civil disobedience concerning drugs and a road chase, what made hundreds come out and attack the police , the Governor and the local Police high command , should be concerned about the total disregard for the police officers safety and public safety or is there something more deeper that needs to be brought to the surface, people treated properly just don't materialize out of nowhere and start rioting, something triggered this riot, something is not quite right here. coffee1.gif

Edited by chainarong

Hey

Good luck with that and you would not have this problem if you treated Thai and foreigners with respect.

I mean really trying to kick 2 boys off a bike at high speed and then ramming with a car... What did you think there going to praise your work of UPHOLDING and PROTECTING people in Thailand

God Bless

Hey

Good luck with that and you would not have this problem if you treated Thai and foreigners with respect.

I mean really trying to kick 2 boys off a bike at high speed and then ramming with a car... What did you think there going to praise your work of UPHOLDING and PROTECTING people in Thailand

God Bless

DO you have any evidence which supports the accusations being made ?

Were you an "eye witness" to everything that occurred?

Or, more likely, are you just another "keyboard cowboy" who hurls unprovable accusations from the safety and comfort of an armchair ?

Hey

God Bless

Or, more likely, are you just another "keyboard cowboy" who hurls unprovable accusations from the safety and comfort of an armchair ?

I have seen with my own eyes police kicking motorist who drive by. once a police didnt stop some bikers... but the officer in the back kicked them off the bike anyways.

Obviously you have no clue as to how the police DISRESPECT their own people, so i will presume your white, being white, you will be treated differently as to, say, a brown westerner. It surprises me that you have had no experience in police disrespecting westerners. which makes me conclude that you live in a bubble. ... a white guy who lives in a bubble in thailand. how cliche.

Edited by american12bthai

Hey

God Bless

It was on the channel 3 news the other day, the police officer on the motorcycle tried to kick the bike over as it was ridden past him, and travelling in the opposite direction. So that aspect is factual. The part about the police car being driven into the victims I did not see but after they passed the officer on the bike they rode to the incorrect side of the carriageway and impacted head on with a vehicle coming toward them. Have no idea if this was a police vehicle or not. No mention of it being one.

Instead of taking their lumps, the Phuket police just see this as another opportunity to extort more money from the residents of Phuket.

definitely time for your tablet if you have this point of view. It seems like you believe people can riot without any fear of consequences.

The question has to be asked just why did this all erupt , the police are entitled to compensation that should be the domain of the insurance that the government should insure them at and free medical insurance, well all police should be smile.png , the larger problem is why all this civil disobedience concerning drugs and a road chase, what made hundreds come out and attack the police , the Governor and the local Police high command , should be concerned about the total disregard for the police officers safety and public safety or is there something more deeper that needs to be brought to the surface, people treated properly just don't materialize out of nowhere and start rioting, something triggered this riot, something is not quite right here. coffee1.gif

The lads were from Ban Don village and it is renowned for violence. There is some rivalry with a neighboring village where if any young men from there are seen, they are set upon and beaten.

The village also has a lot of twins. Just a personal theory but maybe some kind of environmental or hereditary factors lead to inordinate amounts of violence

Here's another article, really making the grade

The deaths of the two young men - both from Ban Don village in Phuket island's Thalang district -

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/4-phuket-cops-suspended-over-duos-deaths

Hey

God Bless

The video I saw has 1 ) a cop trying to kick over the moving motorcycle, 2 ) and as the young men traveled down the lane, the police came at them in the wrong lane and then when the motorcycle swerved to the right, the police deliberately moved left so as to block a moving motorcycle causing death.

Hey

God Bless

The video I saw has 1 ) a cop trying to kick over the moving motorcycle, 2 ) and as the young men traveled down the lane, the police came at them in the wrong lane and then when the motorcycle swerved to the right, the police deliberately moved left so as to block a moving motorcycle causing death.

And a link to this video can be found where ?