Where in BKK to purchase Vietnamese Coffee Drip Kit

jwongbkk

Several years ago I looked long and hard in Bangkok for the same...never had any luck. I eventually had friends visiting Vietnam pick me up a few...best coffee brewers I've ever used. I use "medium-fine" ground coffee from a hotel supplier in Bangkok and it does the job but not quite as good as the real Vietnamese beans. I've tried "very fine" & "fine" grinds but they seem to take forever to drip through; I'm impatient in the morning.

I don't know if there is a specific area in Bangkok with a significant Vietnamese community where a shop might have them. If you find one, let me know.

Another Vietnam coffee shop in Bangkok on FB.

Only in Thai and no useful address information found.

https://www.facebook.com/KhunlungCoffeeVietnam

Coffee dripper:

https://www.facebook.com/KhunlungCoffeeVietnam/photos/a.654605637938370.1073741831.653541351378132/882811981784400/?type=3&permPage=1

Edited by KhunBENQ

That's exactly the style to buy. Some places sell cheaper aluminum versions where the filter disc does not screw down, just rests on the grind: totally useless.

The nice thing about the threaded filter is adjusting the downward pressure affects the strength of the brew, though the more pressure, the more time it takes for the water to pass through.

When I want a really strong "Espresso" style brew, I actually use two brewers, stacked atop one another...Woo-Hoo!!!

In Central complex on Silom Road there is a big Vietnamese restaurant on the 5th Floor, they used to sell those drip things and also Vietnamese 250g coffee packs right at the entrance of the restaurant. I have noticed that recently they took away the table on which they were selling those aluminum drips, maybe you can go and ask them if they still have those for sale? The price was 100 Baht for the drip and 200 Baht for the coffee pack.

If you could find the telephone number and simply call them would be better. I could not find the telephone number, sorry...

12788-12933029227rra9wbdoh.jpg

On the ground floor of the Trendy Building down Suk. 13 there is a place that sells them - I go there every few weeks to replenish my stock of Trung Nguyen Coffee.

https://www.facebook.com/thailandtrungnguyen

Thanks!! Great to know..I'll get there this week!!

As to the grounds in the coffee question. I get a small amount that quickly settles in the bottom of the cup but it doesn't bother me at all...I just don't tilt back for the last drops.

On the ground floor of the Trendy Building down Suk. 13 there is a place that sells them - I go there every few weeks to replenish my stock of Trung Nguyen Coffee.

https://www.facebook.com/thailandtrungnguyen

Thanks!! Great to know..I'll get there this week!!

As to the grounds in the coffee question. I get a small amount that quickly settles in the bottom of the cup but it doesn't bother me at all...I just don't tilt back for the last drops.

There is no grinds going into cup. I use both screw down style and one without, can't tell difference.

Same here. I use a gravity tamper, rather than screw type, although I press it down firmly. I use french press grind, roughly lightly coarse. No grinds really to worry about.

I've yet to find a better coffee maker than the Viet stainless steel filter cup, called a Viet phin. I buy them in Cambodia when I'm in need: $2.50US for 6 oz. I once checked that Viet oriented shop in the Trendy building (right side entrance). They wanted a silly 250 baht/$7 for the exact stainless steel brand I bought in Phnom Penh for $2 to $2.50. Otherwise, I've never found these filter cups anywhere else in BKK.

• 7 months later...

I don't recommend to use the screw type filter, just use the normal one. You don't actually need to push the coffee in tight, you just need the screen to be on top and very lightly pushed, the ground coffee actually will swell when the hot water is poured in, and by nature it gives a drop every 1-2 seconds, that's the pace that you want. If you want stronger, just add another spoon of coffee.

I bought from Coffee Deli Vietnam website early this year and repeated couple of times, they usually ship fast, and can speak English.

The price is probably the lowest I found (20%-30% lower, for the same products sold in Thailand). Highly recommended. They actually supply coffee to several Vietnamese restaurants in Bkk too.