Australia approves controversial Carmichael coal mine

webfact

Australia approves controversial Carmichael coal mine

CANBERRA: -- Australia's government has given its approval for one of the world's biggest coal mines to be built by India's Adani Mining in Queensland.

In August, a court temporarily blocked the project because of environmental concerns.

But the approval has now been granted subject to "36 of the strictest conditions in Australian history" environment minister Greg Hunt said.

The mine will be seven times the size of Manhattan, correspondents say.

The approval was signed on Wednesday by Mr Hunt and follows a long running debate between those for and against the mine.

"I have the power to suspend or revoke the approval and strict penalties apply if there is a breach of the strict conditions," he said.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-34535947

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-10-15

Australia seems to have a 'development at all costs' mentality, with the emphasis on the economy, forgetting though that the fragile environment will one day fight back and that is the day, the Australian politicians will realize they truly do not have any power in the true sense of the word.

Id like to know what those 36 conditions are.....wouldnt matter much anyway we aussies are good at selling off raw material for peanuts.

Good question - and regardless of the answer the lease is to an Indian mining company. Indian companies are so well known for their adherence to rules, regulations and conditions - and for their wonderful environmental concerns.

I used to really admire Aussie - a egalitarian, social minded country. What went wrong?

Your pollies seem to have caught up with the <deleted> we suffer in Europe.

36 conditions - this is all I could find:

• Implement advice from Independent Expert Scientific Committee on Coal Seam Gas and Large Coal Mining Development
  • Protect and improve 31,000 hectares of southern black-throated finch habitat
  • Protection of 135 hectares of ornamental snake habitat
  • Protection of 5,600 hectares of yakka skink habitat
  • $1 million research funding to improve conservation of threatened species over 10 years in the Galiliee Basin
  • Protect Doongmabulla Springs through monitoring of groundwater and triggers to enforce limits

36 conditions - this is all I could find:

• Implement advice from Independent Expert Scientific Committee on Coal Seam Gas and Large Coal Mining Development
  • Protect and improve 31,000 hectares of southern black-throated finch habitat
  • Protection of 135 hectares of ornamental snake habitat
  • Protection of 5,600 hectares of yakka skink habitat
  • $1 million research funding to improve conservation of threatened species over 10 years in the Galiliee Basin
  • Protect Doongmabulla Springs through monitoring of groundwater and triggers to enforce limits

Thats only 6 and we can forget about the snakes, obviously your indian..them snakes would taste pretty good in one of your currys, enjoy.

Id like to know what those 36 conditions are.....wouldnt matter much anyway we aussies are good at selling off raw material for peanuts.

Good question - and regardless of the answer the lease is to an Indian mining company. Indian companies are so well known for their adherence to rules, regulations and conditions - and for their wonderful environmental concerns.

I used to really admire Aussie - a egalitarian, social minded country. What went wrong?

Your pollies seem to have caught up with the <deleted> we suffer in Europe.

Awwwww we been doing it since day one from when the first convicts arrived, all out hard yakka has gone overseas......

Them Asians can teach us a few things....want meat ( japs) buy thecattle farms and sell it to them selves, want Iron ore (chinese) by a few mines and sell it to themselves, now coal (indian) buy a mine or 2 and sell it to them selves....Wood chips (japs) same etc etc....

Fortunately "peanuts" is what gives some people work and pay.

You adhere to the "trickle down affect" it only works when the economy is booming.

Does "value added" mean anything to you?

Some raw material sales are fine, instead of seeing the iron ore shipped out we should be manufacturing it, but wait....we dont have a car industry anymore, we dont have anything anymore, luckly things move in cycles perhaps one day this will be corrected, would be a shame for us not to be benefiting from our raw products in a value added way because once there gone there gone....i admire the Arabs with there oil, they did it the right way.