Superstition Trumps Science in Snakebite Treatment

geovalin

Khmer Times/Jonathan Cox

Thirteen-year-old Thuy was biking near his house in Kamong Chang province on Wednesday when he tumbled off his bike, landing in the brush next to the path. As he got up, he felt a sharp sting in his right hand, and looked down to see a snake coiled in the grass next to him – a venomous green pit viper.

Thuy’s father decided to take his son directly to Kantha Bopha Hospital in Phnom Penh, where Thuy was given three vials of anti-venom. A day later Thuy was weak but recovering, and was almost ready to return home.

Thuy was lucky. Most snakebite victims in Cambodia are only taken to the hospital as a last resort, after treatment by herbalists or traditional healers have failed. As a result, victims often arrive at the hospital in a deep coma caused by neurotoxins, or have their arms or legs covered in massive blisters caused by blood toxins. Some have to have limbs amputated, while some die from the venom.

read more: http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/16809/superstition-trumps-science-in-snakebite-treatment/

"As a result, victims often arrive at the hospital in a deep coma caused by neurotoxins, or have their arms or legs covered in massive blisters caused by blood toxins. Some have to have limbs amputated, while some die from the venom."

Yes that certainly shows how superstition trumps science. I think I'd go for the no-trumps solution.

"As a result, victims often arrive at the hospital in a deep coma caused by neurotoxins, or have their arms or legs covered in massive blisters caused by blood toxins. Some have to have limbs amputated, while some die from the venom."

Yes that certainly shows how superstition trumps science. I think I'd go for the no-trumps solution.

Stupid misleading headline!

Stupid misleading headline!

agreed