What are the best things to see and do in thailand?

sammym

Me and my partner are coming on a long holiday to SE Asia, starting next Tuesday. We have both been to Thailand before - however I've been reading these boards and am hoping that you guys could possibly throw some ideas at us. We will be spending just under two months in Thailand.

We are flying into bangkok and then hoping to head up north for a few weeks. Then flying back to bangkok and going to vietnam for a month. Through Cambodia for a week or two and then spending another month in the South of Thailand.

Our budget is approx £1000 each a month. So around 110,000 baht a month between us. We are happy to go with cheap accommodation - and if needed I can push the budget a bit (was originally higher but was told that you didn't need that much) . Neither of us are big drinkers and clearly I'll not be taking advantage of the girls, so I think that my budget is reasonable. All the flights are paid for - so really the budget is just for accommodation and food. Plus any activities we do whilst we out there.

So generally - what I'm asking is what are your favourite things to do in Thailand which don't cost too much money?

Thanks

Sam

Edited by sammym

Ha sorry I was being daft. I'm 27 and she is 26. I'm pretty active and enjoy exercising. Last time I came I enjoyed scuba diving in Koh Toa. We also both enjoy photography and anything else just to get out and about. More restaurants or a bar than a club. Give me nice views and I'm happy.

I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions of what you thought were the best things to do so I could look it up? Sorry if that's a bit demanding.

... aside from the total appreciation of the abundant "eye-candy,"

I've had pleasant experiences staying in moderately priced (500 baht/day,)

hotels and renting a motorbike, (200 baht/day,) at numerous locations- Kao Yai National Park,

Chiang Rai/Golden Triangle, Koh Chang, Surin, .....

crocodile wrestling, tiger hunting at night, learn how to charm a cobra, drink excessive piss, visit 50 temples, soi dog counting at night, parasailing with no insurance, tuk tuk to jewelry shop ride, counting tailor shops on Sukhumvit, pick the honest taxi driver, buy a lottery ticket, take a ferry boat with no life jacket.

Lots to see and do for the adventurous ............ whistling.gif

crocodile wrestling, tiger hunting at night, learn how to charm a cobra, drink excessive piss, visit 50 temples, soi dog counting at night, parasailing with no insurance, tuk tuk to jewelry shop ride, counting tailor shops on Sukhumvit, pick the honest taxi driver, buy a lottery ticket, take a ferry boat with no life jacket.

Lots to see and do for the adventurous ............ whistling.gif

Need to add zipline and jetski riding to your list.

A day train trip to the bridge over the river Kwai.

Tickets 120 Baht per person return. Leave Hua Lamphong train station in Bangkok at 0630, arrive Nam Tok around 1130, depart Nam Tok around 1430 and arrive back in BKK approx 1930.

The train stops at a large Chedi for photos then travels onto the bridge for another stop. It then continues onto Nam Tok waterfalls where you have lunch and can enjoy a splash in the waterfall. The return journey stops at the war cemetery (weather/time permitting) before returning to BKK.

Check the attractions around Kanchanaburi - lots to do there that you might enjoy, both historical and natural...

If you like history - the historic Park at Sukhothai is a very pleasant stopover on your way north with plenty of inexpensive guesthouses right out the gate…

If you don't mind risking your neck on a motorcyyy.. rent one and roam about the many cites in the rolling hills of Chiang Rai -

cool out in Pai for a few days…

Have fun.

really depends what you like to do personally.

I'd probably do grand palace etc in Bangkok and as I'm a beach person, go island hoping, Phuket, phi phi, krabi, across to samui, phanghan and koh Toa. If you have time go further south to lipe which is a lot quieter.

Again depends on what gives you enjoyment...

You could have an interesting time in the deep South learning all about Islam, exchanging views about modern politics with nice men in long beards.

On Koh Tao you could do some research into the Thai legal system....

lots and lots of interesting things to do in LoS...

Along with all that's been mentioned; being ripped off, life threatened with dangerous and unsafe activities.

Make sure you visit as many National Parks as you can... don't be turned off by being charged 10 times the amount of locals... you will get an opportunity to see and hear nothing...dead forests. If you're lucky, the rivers will be flowing with the thai fish that looks a lot like shredded plastic bags.

I have seen videos of this place - Huay Mae Kamin waterfall .. Looks cool.

I always think it's better to compile a list of attractions and then place your stops around them.

Leh Khao Kop cave in trang

Khao khai Nui in phang-Na

I rode through Phetchaburi town and stayed a night, I wished I could have spent a morning, there's a cable car up the mountain and some nice temples at the top.

Two days in ayutthaya, riding a bicycle around the temples.

Book a govenment bungalow on ratchapapa ( Cheiw larn ) reservoir, book a tour out on the reservoir and get dropped off in the afternoon, free canoes and swimming.

Your main issue will be getting to these places or finding them.

We complain about the pricing of the national park, I think, if you can stay the night with either the bungalows or tents, I think the better run places are the best value.

Tarutao park is amazing, book a bungalow, the staff will show you around the tarutao island for free. Then snorkeling on the other islands and get the longtail to leave you to stay 1-2 days. Then head to Ko lipe ..

Edited by recom273

Check the attractions around Kanchanaburi - lots to do there that you might enjoy, both historical and natural...

If you like history - the historic Park at Sukhothai is a very pleasant stopover on your way north with plenty of inexpensive guesthouses right out the gate…

If you don't mind risking your neck on a motorcyyy.. rent one and roam about the many cites in the rolling hills of Chiang Rai -

cool out in Pai for a few days…

Have fun.

I second this motion!

Sukhotai is fantastic. Rent bicycles to get around.

Within motorbike reach from Chiang Rai are Doi Mae Salong, Doi Tung, Mae Sai, the Golden Triangle and the beautiful little town of Chiang Saen.

To return to bangkok after the northern part of the holiday, I would van to Chiang Kong and slowboat down the Mekong to Luang Prabang, Laos.

Then fly to Bangkok after a few days there.

Thanks guys. We fly in on the 21st at 23.40. I've already got a couple of nights accommodation booked in Bangkok. We both came for three weeks in June (Just the Samui, Koh Toa and Bangkok - with two days in Krabi). So we have done some of the really touristy stuff. I've seen the palace and the budda's. If I'm honest I've got little interest in spending days in Temples again. i'll do that for a few days in Cambodia in Angkor Wat.

But I'm getting some really useful information here. Both on this thread and via PM. I'm fortunate that I'll still be getting a decent UK salary when I'm on this trip. So upping the budget isn't a problem. I negotiated that I'd work up until yesterday and take the next three months as gardening leave. That's why I'm doing some of my planning last minute. But I did like the idea of doing it on a budget, however won't be upset if I go over this to have a great time.

After that I'm looking to get a sleeper train up to chang mai. I've never been on a sleeper train so it should be an experience. The flights I've booked to come back to Bangkok are actually about the same price as the sleeper train oddly. And it saves me hassle - as I'm flying back into the same airport as I fly out to Vietnam from a few hours later. So just some time for food and a drink. It should work well for me - touch wood.

I've got just under three weeks in the north. So far I've booked some ziplining. As it was quite cheap and it seemed like fun. And we would quite like to see elephants being treated well. Last time we came we saw the other side of it when we stopped in Krabi. And my partner wanted to see the other side of it. We do want to see Pai, but I won't ride bikes anymore after losing a good friend whilst riding in the UK. After seeing his head come off I sold my bike and gave it a biup. I'd rather pay extra for a taxi, or rent a car. Obviously I'm looking like mad for things to do in the North apart from this. The advice given is really really helping me out. After a lot of work I'm hoping in the North I can do some trekking and just chill out a bit.

In Bangkok we do have a few things we'd like to do. Big shopping malls are not my idea of fun. And I work in a big city as present. So have no interest in spending too long there. My favourite thing about if from last time was being able to get a metered taxi for nearly nothing compared to the tuktuks. I even got into a tuktuk after being told "the palace is closed" last time - I managed to realise that I wasn't being taken on a wonderful tour, but was lucky to not get into trouble when I got aggressive about it. Lesson learnt.

I'm really looking for the last month of the trip which should be our holiday part really. I love scuba diving and found Koh Toa beautiful. I know about the problems there - and I know about the murders. But I currently live in London. A police officer was shot here in the last couple of days. I wouldn't walk through tottenham at night either - I felt safe there last time. I'm looking forward to spending christmas day on a beach. Apart from that I'll be happy to lounge out and read a book and just chill.

As I've already tried to say. I'm lucky enough to have a very lovely partner who I'm taking. So I should be able to save my money and not have to pay for evening entertainment. Although if things go disastrously I'll take those comments on board as well. But again - thanks for everyone who has taken the time to answer. Really really appreciate it.

Edited by sammym

Have fun.

and please visit my webpage for more ideas on Kan and other places.

http://www.pbase.com/win13/root&view=tree

Some Maps are also there.

Win thumbsup.gif

Some fantastic images in there. Some of your sunsets are really excellent. I do think your exhibition would be a laugh with the beers pics as well smile.png

This is a challenge though. I'll end up brining all my cameras and lenses if I start looking at this stuff.

Edited by sammym

Go on the Chao Phraya River boat cruises. Dosen't cost much and see loads. You can get the boats by taking BTS to Saphan Taksin station then walking 5 mins to the pier.

Some info about the boat services:

If you do decide to splash out on accommodation and stay at a hotel by the river, most of these hotels will have their own boats (some boats are very funky) providing a shuttle service to Sathorn Pier/Saphan Taksin BTS.

The boat trip after dark is very picturesque (the city lights etc). Note that although the hotels run the service until late the services on the links above apparently run only until 7:30pm.

Asiatique is worth an evenings visit. They have a free ferry to and from Sapan Taksin skytrain.

You can see the large ferris wheel from the skytrain station. Plenty of restaurants, shopping and other entertainment.

I live in Chiang Mai and a good friend is a tourist guide. He can put some great itineraries together for you. The are some temples, waterfalls, etc. outside the city that are quite beautiful. The old city around the moat is a great place for walking and taking photos.

I recommend Tiger Kingdom. I know there is a lot of controversy about it, but I found it fun, educational and the animals were well taken care of. And you can get your picture taken with a tiger! Way cool! Don;t rent a car in Chiang Mai. Everywhere you'll want to go is by a short tuk tuk ride.