Electricity supply by PEA: Low voltage

UTH001

For quite some time now, I have been experiencing problems with low voltage in the electricity supply to my house. Result? Erratic aircon, diswasher can only be run at night, music system playing up. PEA came to check the line, confirmed low voltage and suggested to either upgrade to "3 phase" (THB 30,000) or install a generator (THB 50,000). My house is located about 500 meters from the local village.

i believe that upgrading to "3 phase" is unlike to solve the problem, unless i also re-wire the entire house, right? But before I spend THAT kind of money, would be interested to hear if others have rxperienced the same, and if so, how the problem was solved?

This thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671566-voltage-drop-solved/ is worth a look, but before planning on shelling cash do please make the measurements above.

EDIT and what meter do you have 15/45 or 30/100?

Some idea of your load would also be handy, water heaters, aircon, small factory etc etc.

Changing to 3-phase won't actually require much of a re-wire, probably none at all just a replacement distribution board, but whether it would actually help ...

Electricity varies during the day. During the day, around 180 to 190, best (normal, around 220) between say 9pm and 7am (thats the only time I am able to run my dishwasher). Just a standard house, do not run too many electricial items at the same time, aircon only at night. Individual water heaters in each bathroom.

At night, I run two aircon units (standard wall units, nothing particularly huge).

During the day, fridge, laptops, cook with gas.

Low voltage problem appears to affect the entire street, not just my house.

Electricity meter: 15/45

If it really does affect the whole street you all need to get together to lobby PEA, it sounds like the transformer is seriously overloaded or too far from you.

It could be possible for PEA to change the transformer tap so you get up to 235V at night (7% high) which should then pull the daytime voltage up to something at least approaching reasonable. This is a zero cost solution that PEA shouldn't baulk at investigating.

If you fail to get any joy out of PEA then it's time to invest in an AVR (see the thread I linked to earlier), get it installed so your water heaters don't run through it (you can use a smaller AVR).

If it really does affect the whole street you all need to get together to lobby PEA, it sounds like the transformer is seriously overloaded or too far from you.

It could be possible for PEA to change the transformer tap so you get up to 235V at night (7% high) which should then pull the daytime voltage up to something at least approaching reasonable. This is a zero cost solution that PEA shouldn't baulk at investigating.

If you fail to get any joy out of PEA then it's time to invest in an AVR (see the thread I linked to earlier), get it installed so your water heaters don't run through it (you can use a smaller AVR).

In the thread you linked to you talked about something ( maybe a kind of switch) that will disable parts of the system, like AC units when the voltage is low. Could you please give some more information about what to get and how to find wiring information.

Thanks

Also could you comment on AVR's there are two kinds of 10KVA units listed one with a single transformer11K฿ and one with two, the price is similar the one with 2 is only a little more expensive 13K฿. Then there is a dramatic jump in cost to a 15KVA unit to about 22k฿.

Thanks for input.

In the thread you linked to you talked about something ( maybe a kind of switch) that will disable parts of the system, like AC units when the voltage is low. Could you please give some more information about what to get and how to find wiring information.

Thanks

This unit (or similar) should be available here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-Over-Under-Voltage-Protective-Relay-/221381033800?hash=item338b567f48 wiring diagram and manual at the bottom of the page.

Couple it with a contactor like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schneider-15959-CT-Double-Pole-25a-NO-Contactor-240v-Coil-Used-/151031227579?pt=UK_BOI_CircuitBreakers_RL&hash=item232a29a4bb (actual unit would depend upon the load, but one undervolt relay could drive several contactors.

Thanks

This unit (or similar) should be available here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-Over-Under-Voltage-Protective-Relay-/221381033800?hash=item338b567f48 wiring diagram and manual at the bottom of the page.

Couple it with a contactor like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schneider-15959-CT-Double-Pole-25a-NO-Contactor-240v-Coil-Used-/151031227579?pt=UK_BOI_CircuitBreakers_RL&hash=item232a29a4bb (actual unit would depend upon the load, but one undervolt relay could drive several contactors.

Thanks for that, my only concern is if it should fit into the Thai consumer boxes or if I should get a separate box just for it and the contactor or contactors. It looks as if it is a DIN rail fitting (I sound as if I know what I'm taking about, but as you may have guessed I don't)

Are DIN rail boxes easy to source here? Square D? Safe-T-Cut?

I would much prefer to employ a sparky who knew but as TIT it looks as if I will have to learn it myself.

Thanks

Thanks for that, my only concern is if it should fit into the Thai consumer boxes or if I should get a separate box just for it and the contactor or contactors. It looks as if it is a DIN rail fitting (I sound as if I know what I'm taking about, but as you may have guessed I don't)

I would much prefer to employ a sparky who knew but as TIT it looks as if I will have to learn it myself.

The Safe-T-Cut brand consumer units (i.e. the ones with actual breakers in them) are definitely DIN rails, as I added both Phase Protectors (the device that protects from under/over voltage) and DIN energy meters into them.

Square-D are definitely NOT DIN mount

We have ABB units which are, I have one of those under-volt units installed as well as a couple of DIN mount relays (which needed a little "adjustment" to the plastic cover).

• 2 weeks later...

Tks for your response. We spoke to local Council and were told that there is a budget available to upgrade the electricity line in the street in January next year. Not holding my breath but if that is done, hopefully my problems will be over.

However, I have looked in the meantime at voltage stabilizers at GLOBAL (around THB 32,000). Dont know if that is going to solve the problem (should I get no joy of any upgrade...). Anyway, we'll leave that for the time being and hope that the upgrade of the line is going to take place...

Archived