A Cautionary Thai Banking Tale

I flew into DMK airport at 10:00 on a Thursday morning, en route to Udon Thani. I had moved to Udon from Chiang Mai in August to do some research for some writing projects. After several months in Udon was planning to move to Krabi as I miss the ocean. My flight to Udon, for a variety of reasons I will not bore you with, did not leave until 20:30. I had about 10 hours to kill.

I checked my big bag into Left Baggage and went downtown. I had one big bag of clothing, checked at Left Luggage, and a small backpack that I never let out of my sight.

Weary after a day walking around Bangkok, I came back to the airport and reclaimed my bag at about 19:00. My claim check was in a wallet (the kind of document pouch good travellers wear around their necks, but I did not) where I keep my credit cards, passport, etc. Somehow, during the transaction I dropped or forgot the wallet. I did not discover the loss until my arrival in Udon.

In the wallet I lost my Bangkok Bank debit card, a BB Visa card, a BB MasterCard, two BB bank books, two Thai drivers licenses, Canadian Bank debit card, Canadian driver's license, and assorted cash in USD, CAD, KRW amounting to maybe USD100.

Luckily, my passport was safe in my pocket as it was needed for boarding. I had about 4,000 baht in cash in my pocket.

The next day, Friday morning, I went to the main branch of BB in Udon. I had written out in Thai the problem: lost wallet at Don Mueang Left Luggage, and listed my BB losses with account numbers, debit and credit card numbers. They would/could not help me as I had no police report. They would not cancel the cards or lift a finger without a police report.

I went to the Udon Police station. There, they have a counter labeled "Lost Documents". I handed over my passport and the papers where I had written down my losses in detail and the circumstances surrounding their disappearance. After some cursory questions (my age), the uniformed cop gave me two documents certifying the loss—one for the Thai driver's licences, one for the bank-related losses. For this I paid 70 baht.

In the meantime, via a friend whose phone number must have been in the wallet, I was alerted to the fact that she had been contacted by Left Luggage at Don Mueang. They had discovered my wallet and were seeking its owner. She gave me their phone number. I tried it. No answer.

Also in the meantime, I had contacted the one Thai friend/acquaintance I have in Udon. She accompanied me to the bank, the police station, then back to the bank. On the way to the bank the second time, I received a call. I stopped and took it. It was someone from Left Luggage who volunteered to mail me my wallet. It was to be mailed on Friday, to be received by me on Monday. My rent was due today, on Friday, and I had not enough cash to cover it, so I needed money.

BB staff were unmoved by my predicament. I explained that my bank cards and account books were promised to be returned by Monday and that I needed to make a withdrawal. They explained to me that my BB accounts were in Chiang Mai, not Udon. To get replacement bank books, etc., I would have to go back to Chiang Mai. Incredulous, I remonstrated that I banked at Bangkok Bank, a company that has branches everywhere, not at Bank Chiang Mai or Bank Udon. They were amused.

(Aside: When I moved to Udon, I went to BB to move my accounts from Chiang Mai to Udon, but was told that it would cost me 1k+ baht. As Udon for me was temporary, I declined.)

I needed 15,000 baht for rent and expenses. A big boss at BB, a thirty-something female, suggested that if I used Bualuang Banking (BB's online banking utility) that I could send 15k baht to my friend who could then give me the money. I do bank online and my friend also happened to bank at BB. I was taken to a cubicle where there was a terminal that I could use for the transaction. Logging on took up 20 minutes before I called it quits. Since dial-up days I have never encountered such slow throughput. The bankers explained that since it was a bank, the gateway was awash with transactions.

A staffer gave me her tablet. I had never used one before, but was able to finally transfer money to my friend's account, although she never received the SMS she should have received to notify her of the deposit. The 15k enabled me to meet my obligations and make it through the weekend.

We will see what Monday brings and if I receive my wallet and its contents.

Lessons Learned

1. Suppose you lived in Krabi, banked there, and were going to Chiang Mai or elsewhere for the weekend. You had little cash on you. You arrive at night. You discover that you lost your stash of documents and bank cards. You're screwed. Calling the Tourist Police is your only option. The next day your bank will tell you that although you have billions of baht in Krabi, they are unable to process a withdrawal without cards or bank books.
  2. You bank locally in Thailand, not nationally.
  3. If you lose anything in Thailand, go to the police first and get a piece of paper documenting it.
  4. Consider spreading important items like credit cards, passports, bank books, in separate, secure locations on your person or belongings.
  5. Duct tape valuables and important documents, especially banking-related, to your body. (That is a token attempt at humour.)

As a Canadian, the requirements here in Thailand are not much different here than there, except for the requirement for a police report. Imagine how much fraud would be going on if anyone could walk into any branch anywhere and say that he had lost his bank card, passbook etc. if it makes you feel any better the requirements are the same for Thai's and foreigners.

Anyone who does not have a second bank account (and second ATM card) should take immediate steps to get one. I know that it is currently not easy for foreigners to open bank accounts here, especially in the aftermath of the Erawan Shrine bombing. But persevere. And then, don't keep them together when travelling.

I really don't understand why you waited to next day to go into a branch, and you might want to rethink for next time:

Banks these days have call centres or 24 hour helpline for such problems. These are national BTW and not local smile.png

Look on the back of most ATM/debit/credit cards and there's a helpline number to contact if you have a problem or your card is lost or stolen. You might want to memorize it or write it down.

If you've ever skim read the T&C on receiving your cards they will tell you to report card thefts or losses immediately

A quick internet search on any bank and you can also find the contact number you want. There's FAQs including what to do in such events.

If you have a mobile phone, many banks have apps these days with all sorts of info on them. My TMB one is great, lists the addresses and telephone numbers of all branches, even links into google maps and no doubt has emergency numbers too.

For BKK bank the number you wanted was 1333:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Pages/ATMBualuangFAQ.aspx

Call your bank first for help and advice.

Edited by fletchsmile

There is no Thai blaming at all in the OP. No charges of discrimination. If anything, the OP seems to be expressing gratitude to the Thais that helped him. Yet it has prompted racist replies about "farang."

Edited by BudRight

Considering you had money in the bank but could not access it until you received your wallet, but confirmed you could access it in only a couple of days once your wallet arrived, so you were not a risk, why couldn`t your dear friend had lent you the 15000 baht that is not a fortune and probably saved you a lot of stress and hassle?

If a friend of mine would had been in your predicament, this is what I would had done.

When I lost my SCB ATM card while on the road I had to cut short my trip, the out of town branches would not let me have access to my money, I had to go back to Pattaya branch where I had opened my account.

Last month when I was in Bangkok Bank North Pattaya branch, a farang came in with similar situation: he had lost his ATM card , his account was opened in Koh Chang and he didn’t have the bank book with him.

After a lengthy plea a BB lady called Koh Chang branch, had the info faxed over and was able to let the farang made a withdrawal only with his passport. I told him he was lucky.

I do not share the same experience, I had my wallet lifted on a weekend trip to Pattaya and I was able to cancel my BB and SCB cards credit and debit by phone. What I really needed the police report for was replacing my licences when I returned to Chiang Mai and to show the cop that stopped me on SH1 for speeding.

I fail to see how banks in this country run at all !!

My wife has lost both our scb bank books but we still have the cards. We went to the scb branch where i opened the account not more than 3 months ago ( its a quiet branch) to get a new book. I had the cards ,passport and several other forms of i.d. No new book until i gave them the police report !! Now i know why there is so much crime in this country , the police are too busy signing useless bits of paper for banks!!

I dont think the book would have been off any use to anyone as i cant withdraw money unless i have my passport with me in the bank.

Oh and does anyone know where this building the size of canada is that holds all these papers everyone signs anytime they do anything??biggrin.png

When I first moved here, I'd left my ATM card (BKK Bank) in the machines several times... usually noticing the next day or so. The staff were very always very helpful and I was able to get a replacement quickly in Bangkok (where I opened my account), but I suspect it would be a completely different scenario if I'd lost it in another province.... I even had to PAY A FEE to deposit CASH in BKK Bank in Pattaya (my account was opened in BKK)!!!

Considering you had money in the bank but could not access it until you received your wallet, but confirmed you could access it in only a couple of days once your wallet arrived, so you were not a risk, why couldn`t your dear friend had lent you the 15000 baht that is not a fortune and probably saved you a lot of stress and hassle?

If a friend of mine would had been in your predicament, this is what I would had done.

It was a Thai woman in Udon - not exactly the thype that would lend a farang money :cheesy:

On a similar tack, and again with Bangkok Bank, a friend, whilst living in Koh Chang, opened a 3year fixed deposit account. It maturred last week. Now living in Surin province, he went into the local Bangkok Bank, where he has a savings account and asked to withdraw his matured fixed deposit money.

NO WAY. The ONLY solution was for him to travel all the way to koh Chang, and close the account and withdraw the money.

TIT (THIS IS THAILAND!!!)

On a similar tack, and again with Bangkok Bank, a friend, whilst living in Koh Chang, opened a 3year fixed deposit account. It maturred last week. Now living in Surin province, he went into the local Bangkok Bank, where he has a savings account and asked to withdraw his matured fixed deposit money.

NO WAY. The ONLY solution was for him to travel all the way to koh Chang, and close the account and withdraw the money.

It's best to make yourself aware of how things work in Thailand.

Provinces are like autonomous regions, and the banks work within each province, not Nationally.

If you withdraw cash from an ATM outside the Province you opened your account a small fee is usually charged.

If you move to a different province, then transfer your bank account to a branch within that province.

Your friend could have transferred his account to Surin, then withdrawn the money.

It's best to make yourself aware of how things work in Thailand.

Provinces are like autonomous regions, and the banks work within each province, not Nationally.

If you withdraw cash from an ATM outside the Province you opened your account a small fee is usually charged.

If you move to a different province, then transfer your bank account to a branch within that province.

Your friend could have transferred his account to Surin, then withdrawn the money.

But only by commencing the transfer -personally -in Koh Chang. Of course, had he known beforehand, he could have made the account transfer before relocating to Surin.

I really don't understand why you waited to next day to go into a branch, and you might want to rethink for next time:

Banks these days have call centres or 24 hour helpline for such problems. These are national BTW and not local smile.png

Look on the back of most ATM/debit/credit cards and there's a helpline number to contact if you have a problem or your card is lost or stolen. You might want to memorize it or write it down.

If you've ever skim read the T&C on receiving your cards they will tell you to report card thefts or losses immediately

A quick internet search on any bank and you can also find the contact number you want. There's FAQs including what to do in such events.

If you have a mobile phone, many banks have apps these days with all sorts of info on them. My TMB one is great, lists the addresses and telephone numbers of all branches, even links into google maps and no doubt has emergency numbers too.

For BKK bank the number you wanted was 1333:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Pages/ATMBualuangFAQ.aspx

Call your bank first for help and advice.

I am with Bangkok Bank, and every single time I have sent an e-mail asking about something, I have had no reply.

Every time I have sent an e-mail to my UK bank, they have never failed to reply. Go figure.