Loy Kratong

stament

Hi,

Just wondered if anything different would be happening this year compared to prior years based on govt clampdowns, perhaps we might see less fireworks?

is it likely to be very busy in CM for that week?

anything else special going on in terms of food at restaurants, etc to celebrate the event that anyone is aware of?

guessing flight prices will increase

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opening ceremony at 6:30PM on November 24th with the biggest parade on the 26th starting about 7PM. The schedule of events is listed on the municipal website (unfortunately, it's in Thai so won't be helpful to a whole lot of people). Can see it here: http://www.cmcity.go.th/

There isn't a whole lot of fireworks....other than the lanterns....and the fireworks war that used to go on at Nawarat Bridge hasn't happened for 2-3 years.

River Market Restaurant is having their big Loy Krathong party on Wednesday, the 25th. It's 2500 baht for adults, 880 baht for kids. It includes a great buffet, open bar, Thai dancing, krathongs to float in the river, kom loys to launch into the sky, a grand fireworks finale and a fabulous vantage point to watch all the fun. It's the same price as last year and a very good value compared to what the nearby hotels are charging.

post-68373-0-85882000-1445139140_thumb.j

2500? sounds very pricey by thai prices to me.

Not really. I went last year - it's an all you can eat buffet and relatively extensive, including seafood. No limit open bar, multiple act live entertainment, fireworks display, they hand out those lanterns to launch into the air and also the flowers you launch into the river. You also don't have to fight with the masses crowding the riverbanks in every other direction as the portion of the river adjacent to the restaurant is for ticketholders only.

If you can find anything comparable elsewhere - for a lower price - please do let us know.

(Incidentally, your comment is an annual standard on any thread that talks about a holiday celebration event hosted by The Duke's....congrats on being the first to tell everyone else that you think it's too expensive "by Thai prices".)

Yes, we'd done Loy Krathong the "Thai way" once and swore "never again". I made a couple krathongs in my Thai language class. That was fun -- a nice cultural lesson and it was sweet of my Thai teacher to guide us thru the process. Mine looked pretty lopsided when I was done, but at least I didn't cut myself too seriously with anything sharp in making them. I proudly displayed them at home for a day or two for the cat to work on and then Hubby and I eagerly took them down to the Ping River in the early evening on the appointed day, only to just about be pushed in by the heaving masses.

Meanwhile, people were shooting off explosive devices over our heads at close range, kom loys were burning in trees over our heads and we couldn't find a tuk-tuk driver willing to take us home for quite a distance because all the foot traffic was headed the other way.

It was like being in the middle of a war zone. (Well, not exactly, according to Hubby who was in Vietnam.)

The next year 2500 baht a person at River Market was quite a nice way to enjoy Loy Krathong.

Not really. I went last year - it's an all you can eat buffet and relatively extensive, including seafood. No limit open bar, multiple act live entertainment, fireworks display, they hand out those lanterns to launch into the air and also the flowers you launch into the river. You also don't have to fight with the masses crowding the riverbanks in every other direction as the portion of the river adjacent to the restaurant is for ticketholders only.

If you can find anything comparable elsewhere - for a lower price - please do let us know.

(Incidentally, your comment is an annual standard on any thread that talks about a holiday celebration event hosted by The Duke's....congrats on being the first to tell everyone else that you think it's too expensive "by Thai prices".)

i like the Dukes and go there from time to time. That being said all "events" IMHO are seen as a way of making extra money but at a very high premium. 2500 is way above whilst it should be IMHO. Thats only my opinion mind you and others are entitled to spend their money where they want. Last week in Dubai I attended a top notch brunch at a 5 star hotel superb buffet and unlimited drinks for four hours, price AED 247 which wasn't even before i had a buy one get one free voucher. it was one of the best buffets i have ever had served in a 5 star hotel. now granted its not during an event but the price is comparable, AED247 btw is under thb2400. Now i know which one i would choose, also Dubai is much more expensive than CM so when I factor that in then yes 2500 baht to me is extremely expensive.

i will continue to go to dukes and other places but will continue to avoid events because to me too much of a premium is added. Each to their own though, i am certain the event will be a sell out success and wish them all the success but i will choose to spend my money elsewhere.

i like the Dukes and go there from time to time. That being said all "events" IMHO are seen as a way of making extra money but at a very high premium. 2500 is way above whilst it should be IMHO. Thats only my opinion mind you and others are entitled to spend their money where they want. Last week in Dubai I attended a top notch brunch at a 5 star hotel superb buffet and unlimited drinks for four hours, price AED 247 which wasn't even before i had a buy one get one free voucher. it was one of the best buffets i have ever had served in a 5 star hotel. now granted its not during an event but the price is comparable, AED247 btw is under thb2400. Now i know which one i would choose, also Dubai is much more expensive than CM so when I factor that in then yes 2500 baht to me is extremely expensive.

i will continue to go to dukes and other places but will continue to avoid events because to me too much of a premium is added. Each to their own though, i am certain the event will be a sell out success and wish them all the success but i will choose to spend my money elsewhere.

If I understand your post correctly, when challenged to find a comparable event for a similar price (meaning in Chiang Mai during Loy Kratong, but let's go with it), your solution is to purchase an airline ticket to Dubai and rent a hotel room for an indeterminate amount of time - so that one can save 100 thb on a night of entertainment?

Your elementary school math instructor is no longer employed, one presumes.

Let's see -- it's not just the meal with very fancy food, but the open bar, the Thai dancing performances, krathongs (you can launch as many as you want) kom loys (you can fly as many as you want), the fireworks display and being safe from the crowds and projectiles, yet well in the middle of the action.

It's a very safe place to take the kids, too. Personally, I wouldn't take young kids into the crowds by the river area during the evening of November 25th, but I'd feel perfectly comfortable taking them to River Market and paying 880 baht for them to watch the action and safely participate in the holiday. Knowing my family -- they'd probably launch 880 baht worth of krathongs and kom loys.

Edited by NancyL

Personally, I wouldn't take young kids into the crowds by the river area during the evening of November 25th, but I'd feel perfectly comfortable taking them to River Market and paying 880 baht for them to watch the action and safely participate in the holiday.

@880 baht a kid.. on top of mum and dads 5000 baht, its a rip off, but perhaps you have more money then sense

and personally the single 2500 baht price tag is the usual par for course. over the odds festive celebration price

gosh the maerim,s four seasons famous sunday buffett is only 2000 baht

nuffin like the boonies is there

a very nice evening to allsmile.png

If I understand your post correctly, when challenged to find a comparable event for a similar price (meaning in Chiang Mai during Loy Kratong, but let's go with it), your solution is to purchase an airline ticket to Dubai and rent a hotel room for an indeterminate amount of time - so that one can save 100 thb on a night of entertainment?

I did say IMHO it isnt worth it but others might think it is. I wasnt offering a solution to members on here just merely pointing out that to me 2500 seems high in a country where things are generally cheap compared to many other countries, I highlighted the fact that I went to a top class buffet in Dubai as this is also a buffet so there is a bit of similarity there.

BTW your proposed solution for me would be very cheap as I live in Dubai so going to CM would and does cost me money.

It seems to me you've completely missed my point and and that is, IMHO its expensive, thats my opinion not yours or the worlds, MINE. Now what seems expensive to me could well be a bargain for you and I wouldnt wish to say that your opinion on whether something is cheap or expensive is wrong since its relative to you, as its your opinion not mine.

As for my elementary maths teacher, I have no idea what she is doing now perhaps pushing up the daisies, but not employed for sure as she would be way beyond retirement age I am guessing.

I'm not fat or a drunk, so all you can eat buffet and open bar holds no interest for me.

Not comparable but infinitely better.

That would be the annual 'Yee Peng' event at MaeJo, and it's free.

Kratongs .... launch as many as you like at 50bht a time.

Khom Loys ...... launch as many as you like at 35bht a time ...... assuming the general allows Khom loys this year.

Just a thought,

Will River Market be giving refunds if the 'lanterns' are banned at the last minute this year?

Something which is being threatened.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I wouldn't mind 2500 knowing you have a table waiting and a place to park. I think it is a good deal for Chiang Mai, especially with free flow, and good location. Holiday events are going up in price yearly. The New Year gala at LeMeridien this year is B5759++, drinks package is extra/not included.

A few years ago on Loy Khratong Deck1 "scene and cuisine" was demanding 1000 baht pp just to sit down. (Only time I have actually seen anybody in there. ) Balked at that but Everything by the river was packed to rafters. My friends and I somehow got into an open air pub that was operating in an open space near the pedestrian bridge near the former Brasserie.

Somehow without the insane fireworks free for all and blazing lanterns it just does not feel it will be the same. Some of the best fun I've ever had...

Edited by arunsakda

I did say IMHO it isnt worth it but others might think it is. I wasnt offering a solution to members on here just merely pointing out that to me 2500 seems high in a country where things are generally cheap compared to many other countries, I highlighted the fact that I went to a top class buffet in Dubai as this is also a buffet so there is a bit of similarity there.

BTW your proposed solution for me would be very cheap as I live in Dubai so going to CM would and does cost me money.

It seems to me you've completely missed my point and and that is, IMHO its expensive, thats my opinion not yours or the worlds, MINE. Now what seems expensive to me could well be a bargain for you and I wouldnt wish to say that your opinion on whether something is cheap or expensive is wrong since its relative to you, as its your opinion not mine.

As for my elementary maths teacher, I have no idea what she is doing now perhaps pushing up the daisies, but not employed for sure as she would be way beyond retirement age I am guessing.

Edited by northernjohn

indeed it is a celebration but lets be honest all these events whilst good offer a fantastic opportunity for businesses to hike prices for obvious reasons they are in business to maximise profits.

im not a cheap charkie but do find sone of these event type meals do mean significantly increased costs. it a bit like weddings as soon as you mention weddings prices go up whether it be a photographer, etc

its an opportunity to make increased profits. personally i prefer to avoid the crowds but hey thats me.

800 B for a child is just crazy , and 2500b for adult is just f....... crazy lol you need to drink a lot for get your money back :P

if it was 1000b i will say good price but i looking for me and my parent and my child it will cost 8300B so 200E for EAT AND DRINK 555555 :(

Many people miss the fact that it is a celebration of a specific holiday. There is more than just food there. It is more than a buffet. It is amazing how the Cheap Charlie's can over look that point.

It certainly is just that; a celebration of a holiday... A Thai holiday. To me, that means being in the middle of the traditional and typical way the Thais celebrate THEIR holiday. Rather than hiding away in the middle of a cloistered expat enclave, they rub shoulders and bump hips with each other, crowding around the river banks TOGETHER, multiplying the energy of the specific THAI holiday.

It's true that not ALL Thais like the hustle and bustle of holidays and prefer a quieter way to celebrate, just as many stay home during Songkran. They can join the expats who have found a way to isolate themselves from the aspects of the holiday that they don't enjoy.

Many people miss the fact that it is a celebration of a specific holiday. There is more than just food there. It is more than a buffet. It is amazing how the Cheap Charlie's can over look that point.

It certainly is just that; a celebration of a holiday... A Thai holiday. To me, that means being in the middle of the traditional and typical way the Thais celebrate THEIR holiday. Rather than hiding away in the middle of a cloistered expat enclave, they rub shoulders and bump hips with each other, crowding around the river banks TOGETHER, multiplying the energy of the specific THAI holiday.

It's true that not ALL Thais like the hustle and bustle of holidays and prefer a quieter way to celebrate, just as many stay home during Songkran. They can join the expats who have found a way to isolate themselves from the aspects of the holiday that they don't enjoy.

I agree with FG on this one. Foreigners often forget or are not even aware that many celebrations of Thai holidays inside the city are, in my opinion, influenced now days too much by foreigners.

Try going outside the city for Loy Kratong and I have never found the "pushing and shoving". Rather, I have found nothing but people being nice and trying to help foreigners celebrate "the Thai way".

Bangkok is a world in itself. Chiang Mai is not the same as Bangkok. Outside Chiang Mai is not the same as in Chiang Mai.

indeed it is a celebration but lets be honest all these events whilst good offer a fantastic opportunity for businesses to hike prices for obvious reasons they are in business to maximise profits.

im not a cheap charkie but do find sone of these event type meals do mean significantly increased costs. it a bit like weddings as soon as you mention weddings prices go up whether it be a photographer, etc

its an opportunity to make increased profits. personally i prefer to avoid the crowds but hey thats me.

I prefer the crowds. The river Market affair will help you avoid them.

It is just like most people. When they were working they took every opportunity to make the most money they could so why should some one else be different. Beside how much more are they going to make. I know they spent 50,000 baht for the fire works on the fourth of July no idea what they are going to be spending this year. But I do know if it was just food you would be right. I take into account the fact that it is not the cheapest supplies they can buy they go for quality ingredient not the cheapest.

As I said I like the crowd and the spirit in it. My wife doesn't like the noise. I will probably head over to the Narrowt bridge for the activities there. Not sure if the wife will follow e or go to her mothers.

I feel sorry for those who ignore the spirit of the thing and just think of the price.

Each to their own as I keep saying. Peoples net disposable incomes vary and you have to take thatbinto account as well as them deciding how they feel they can best spend their money and what their own personal circumstances are. 2500 might not seem like a lot to you but it might be a fortune to other members particularly if they have a large family.

Perhaps you could do something aboutbthe ones you feel sorry for? Personally wevwould rsthervspend the money on buying a tv, computer or cooking lunches and buying ice creams for my wifes village school, which we have done, rather than spend the money on this sort of event. We get great enjoyment out of that and we choose to spend our Thb 2500s on thosevsorts of things and will continue to do so. What it boils down to at the end of the day is a value decision for each individual.

To you and sone others on here 2500 is money well spent for me and perhsps dome others its not and I will go down the cheap charlie approach on this one. Not sure what I will do yet, but I am sure we will do something enjoyable and I dont think i will feel like i have missed out on anything.

enjoy yourself, i will go to the dukes on a quieter day for some western food.

Cheers

any other suggestions on here as this topic seems to have generated into a discussion about the pros and cons of one place.

as a cheap charlie i need a less expensive alternative ;-)

Many of the Temples have big events of their own, lanterns and fireworks with food and market stalls.

When are they?

Who can tell?

Last year there was one at a temple at a no-name temple near MaeJo,

they handed us free Khom Loys as we walked in the temple.

the local women were on a stage in local costumes dancing,

the fireworks were great.

My family spent 100bht on snack foods from stalls.

Edited by MaeJoMTB