Distressing Call - ex-wife in jail, son alone

M&M

I received a SMS from a Thai lady friend some time ago."Help me, my baby is sick and my house is flooded!"

Before I went to make a donation to her ATM, I showed the message to her girlfriends. They laughed and laughed and laughed.

Edited by RidgeRunner

I doubt if a 10 year boy old should be in any kind of harms way here, other than what they face every day, to require any panic action.

If you are calling to converse with your son on a regular basis, why not ask him what gives ?

Use the service offered prior by member to call etc.

If it were me, I would as others have suggested, get someone to call the aunt, ask her to get a copy of the charges

and bail money needed from the police. Nothing less.

Contact the translation service by email to contact the aunt to send the papers, ems one day.

Receive the translations and original copies via emal. Then act.

Translation service I use in pattaya receives payment by atm/bank transfer, same day service.

What is the worst can happen taking time to be sure.?

Like other posters I think it may be a scam, I can imagine families everywhere having brainstorming sessions how they might

concoct newer ways to extract money from the gullible. Of course I could be wrong but see what odds William Hill might offer.

I was subject to a similar distress call, where the lady was supposedly in the monkey house with her infant child, being held for gambling

and had to have Baht 10,000.( I had just received Baht100,000 from a car sale, on which she earned Baht10,000 commission.) My Thai who translator handled the call, answered when I asked her what to do she replied, "Nothing".

When I later saw the scammer, no mention was made of the "incident".

Edited by DisparateDan

Contact Rose. Pattaya 20 years. Very reliable and trustworthy. Well known.

Rose. Registered Court Interpreter and all round connected woman. True.

Also currently posting in other places in support of those who I understand cannot be named but who all have criminal convictions for fraud.

Judge a man or woman by the company they keep.

Don't go there is my advice .

Go with the BM who said his wife will make some calls.

Richard

Hi & thanks for some useful advice & offers of help. Also thanks for removing the crap... glad I didn't have to see it.

Turns out it is true. It's been a hard week but I do have some help there.

Will be on a plane tomorrow & getting my boy out of the situation (properly & legally) by the end of the week.

M&M

Edited by M&M