No more Double Entry tourist visas?

As of today: Oct 20 the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles website shows the METV "is an addition to the already existing sixty (60) days tourist visa"

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=78

The 60 tourist visa will have 2 and 3 entries as well.

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=33

I doubt it. It's just the announcement. They haven't updated the site with the new METV yet.

What is it that you doubt? Yes the 'details' for the application process are not present. But that makes sense because people would begin mailing in applications long before the Thai Consulate can issue the visa and people would be crying in their beer: Where is my passport? It has been 3 weeks! Can you imagine how many stacks of application would be sitting and waiting for the date they can be processed?

Honestly..the purpose of the press announcement is to enlighten would be tourists to another option that the Thai government plans to unveil on November 13, 2015. Say Harold and Mabel are sitting in their living room and thinking about a trip to Thailand. This press release tells them that there will be another option come November 13. This may or may not be beneficial to Harold and Mabel... but at least they have the information to decide for themselves.

While official word on the Thai gov't website seems to be lacking, it does appear that Embassies and Consulates around the globe are gearing up for the METV.

Edited by jmd8800

As of today: Oct 20 the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles website shows the METV "is an addition to the already existing sixty (60) days tourist visa"

I doubt it. It's just the announcement. They haven't updated the site with the new METV yet.

What is it that you doubt? Yes the 'details' for the application process are not present. But that makes sense because people would begin mailing in applications long before the Thai Consulate can issue the visa and people would be crying in their beer: Where is my passport? It has been 3 weeks! Can you imagine how many stacks of application would be sitting and waiting for the date they can be processed?

Honestly..the purpose of the press announcement is to enlighten would be tourists to another option that the Thai government plans to unveil on November 13, 2015. Say Harold and Mabel are sitting in their living room and thinking about a trip to Thailand. This press release tells them that there will be another option come November 13. This may or may not be beneficial to Harold and Mabel... but at least they have the information to decide for themselves.

While official word on the Thai gov't website seems to be lacking, it does appear that Embassies and Consulates around the globe are gearing up for the METV.

The "doubt" surrounds the continued availability of 2 and 3 entry tourist visas after 12 Nov.

Some Thai Embassy's have already signaled that these 2 and 3 entry visas will not be issued after 12 Nov.

i'm thinking you can still get the double entry visa in places like hanoi, laos, and triple in bali..... however, instead of 1000 baht per entry, the visa will now be 5000b

So much for the concerns of some members that they Embassies/Consulates will be losing out on visa fees. They will make a lot more, especially out of the single entry applicants. i.e. 5 times as much.

• The press release being posted on some embassy/consular websites was first made public on Sep 30th.
  • All that consulates like LA are doing is using it to give people advance warning that the METV will be available from the Nov 13th.
  • The existing TR that LA offer has 1, 2 or 3 entry options and I assume they plan to keep them available, at least, until the METV goes live.
  • After the 13th it's anyones guess.
  • Other embassies/consulates around the world have gone a step further and published the criteria for applying for the new METV. They have also ALL confirmed that 2 or 3 entry TR's will not be available after the 13th. They also confirm the single entry TR is being kept available.

Based on that I doubt LA will be any different. It makes no sense to launch a new METV and keep the 3 and 2 entry options with the existing TR otherwise no one would buy the METV. IMO the METV is a replacement. If the triple stays anywhere I'll eat my keyboard, and if the double does I'll be very surprised!

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

• The press release being posted on some embassy/consular websites was first made public on Sep 30th.
  • All that consulates like LA are doing is using it to give people advance warning that the METV will be available from the Nov 13th.
  • The existing TR that LA offer has 1, 2 or 3 entry options and I assume they plan to keep them available, at least, until the METV goes live.
  • After the 13th it's anyones guess.
  • Other embassies/consulates around the world have gone a step further and published the criteria for applying for the new METV. They have also ALL confirmed that 2 or 3 entry TR's will not be available after the 13th. They also confirm the single entry TR is being kept available.

Based on that I doubt LA will be any different. It makes no sense to launch a new METV and keep the 3 and 2 entry options with the existing TR otherwise no one would buy the METV. IMO the METV is a replacement. If the triple stays anywhere I'll eat my keyboard, and if the double does I'll be very surprised!

They refused to issue a triple entry to a friend of mine in the LA consulate just a few weeks ago so he settled for a double entry visa instead.

but, Surely all the Consulates and Embassies are following TV before they decide what to keep and what to drop in the way of visas.

Why can't people just wait and see what transpires or is that too much too ask.

Wait for what?

METV is on various embassy home pages.

Maybe you are waiting for a bulletin on the 9 o'clock news of your preference.

Who knows.

I'm only saying wait a couple of weeks or so and follow news from people who apply for a double or triple at any consulate after the METV starts being issued.

Yes some Embassies have stated that D and T TVs will stop but some haven't put out any news at all.

I'm quite sure there will be posts on TV from people who got what they applied for and some from others who were refused and were told they had to apply for the new METV.

I re-new my multi O every 15 months at the same place but still call a couple of days before I go to check if anything new is required from the previous.

So far it always been the same but I don't take the chance of being short of one piece of info' required.

• Like 1

Looks like they want tickets in and out of thailand for every 60 entry submitted with the application?? Thats hard to do that far in advance.

and if its not granted your stuck with all these expensive tickets.

You'll notice consulate websites have rarely ever written '60 days but then you can extend to 90' even for the existing double and triple entry visas.

E.g. the UK site which hasn't been changed yet http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/44

Consulate websites are notoriously unclear.

The METV will probably come with the extensions to 90 days, because the immigration act says 90 days.

Anyway we'll have to wait and see.

Looks like they want tickets in and out of thailand for every 60 entry submitted with the application?? Thats hard to do that far in advance.

and if its not granted your stuck with all these expensive tickets.

The link you posted is related to the consulate in Los Angeles only. No ticket requirements are listed, although that doesn't mean that in practice there aren't.

By the way the Thai consulate in Italy and Finland has published that they want to see tickets and hotel reservation for the first entry only, plus other requirements that my opinion are unreasonable and inopportune.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/862463-new-metv-requirements-in-italy/

If there is a huge drop-off in tourist visa applications due to the difficulty in obtaining the METV, would it be likely they revert to the double or triple or lower the requirements on the METV...?

I mean, they need cashflow at these consulates and visas are their main income (?)

If there is a huge drop-off in tourist visa applications due to the difficulty in obtaining the METV, would it be likely they revert to the double or triple or lower the requirements on the METV...?

I mean, they need cashflow at these consulates and visas are their main income (?)

The thing is they can largely afford a drop off.

This year, Thailand just celebrated it's 28th MILLIONS of tourist. The lucky one was awarded an economy return ticket to THL.

Despite bombing and political coup, it's never been better for THL and further deals with China buying a new train system hope to welcome 7 millions Chinese.

TourismStatisticsEnd2014.gif

They don't make the visa rules to optimize embassy revenues.

You speculate.

If needed they drop employees.

Of course the Vietnam embassy in Havana is a special case as they actually was operating a shop selling black market food and booze under diplomatic immunity.

IMHO the METV will be a huge flop, you can guess why.

But we have to wait and see.

The Thai Embassies/Consulates in Vientiane, Savannakhet, Penang and even Phnom Penh make a fortune in issuing visa, most of the profits are being send to BKK.

I think the current government tries very hard to limit the business potential for the visa related industry, BTW all companies are TAT registered.

The Thai Embassies/Consulates in Vientiane, Savannakhet, Penang and even Phnom Penh make a fortune in issuing visa, most of the profits are being send to BKK.

I think the current government tries very hard to limit the business potential for the visa related industry, BTW all companies are TAT registered.

wrong. none of the money is sent to Bangkopk

consulates/embassies get the fees as a way to keep it running an pay their staff

whats to flop? those that can get it, will,

it does not cost the Thai goverment anything but a few $$ to print them up

Yes a flop.

Surely less candidates than the 2&3 TR visa, but is that not the all point?

Keep "quality tourists" only.

I can tell you that business is not good in Thailand. we are in high season and many business have no customers . I don't see many customers around me. not like last year.

look at the number of bikes waiting to be rented...

According to TAT

Tourism has never been better

TourismStatisticsEnd2014.gif

ah. figures don't lie,but liars figure. Tourist people numbers may be up, but I doubt it. But more tourists doesn't mean more tourism business. A lot of tourist increase is by large group tours of Chinese for example. They stay in pre-arranged hotels, with pre-arranged prices, set itineraries, etc. Very limited expenditures and certainly limited type of expenditures

ah. figures don't lie,but liars figure. Tourist people numbers may be up, but I doubt it. But more tourists doesn't mean more tourism business. A lot of tourist increase is by large group tours of Chinese for example. They stay in pre-arranged hotels, with pre-arranged prices, set itineraries, etc. Very limited expenditures and certainly limited type of expenditures

But they don't hang around for years on tourist visas or work on tourist visas, just want the government wants from tourists!

A renewed influx of 2 weeks package holidays Chinese, will certainly spend more than a 30k a month farang teacher on a tourist visa.

• Like 1

A renewed influx of 2 weeks package holidays Chinese, will certainly spend more than a 30k a month farang teacher on a tourist visa.

How very true. I have a friend in Thailand working as teacher and every month he is skint, no money even to get a flight home if needed. I can see why they are clamping down on tourist visas, why have skint farang all year long when you can have 2 week Chinese tourists on a package tour?

Farang teachers will not have problem staying in Thailand.

They just get "married", and head to Savannakhet.

Those who are over 50, will go to Pattaya to get a Non-O based on Retirement, with the "help" of a Visa Agent.

you know immigration is making home visits to surprise "married" couples and interrogate neighbors?

• Like 1

Those who are over 50, will go to Pattaya to get a Non-O based on Retirement, with the "help" of a Visa Agent.

Don't they need to earn 40000 baht per month for Non O married to a Thai national or can a visa agent "help" with that? The teachers I know are on 32000 in BKK, plus an extra 6000 for working Saturday mornings in the school.

They don't need to show any financial proof in Savannakhet!

Edited by bigjohn72

you know immigration is making home visits to surprise "married" couples and interrogate neighbors?

I think they don't do that, if you have a Multi-entry Non-O

They don't need to show any financial proof in Savannakhet!

Something to remember then, although I don't plan on getting married again any time soon, but I will let my friend know 555