Neighbor Built Rooster Shack 20 Meters Away. What's the Law?

5:39 AM First light. Cockle-Doodle-Doooooo

This shack is about 25 meters away from my bedroom window, went up 2 days ago and the rooster and his entourage of hens went in yesterday. Today I'm awakened at 5:39 am. I do not have A/C so keep all the windows open in my house. This is a fairly rural area but with several expensive foreigner villa developments on the same lane. There are other lower income Thai neighbors too, next to his house. My home is about 150 meters from that cluster.

I went over a few minutes ago when I saw he was up and on his way out to politely state my grievance and ask him to rectify it, but was told essentially "no" ( and mutterings about farang.) Is there a law about this, perhaps minimum spacing required? He could have put it much further away, too, the property it's on is about 4 rai.

Might have to practice my rooster call so I can stand in front of his home at 5 : 40 am. He's got a yappy little mutt too, who'll join in. Add to the list of good reasons to never buy- always rent a home.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're lucky, our roo goes off at about 4.45.

Everyone around has chooks, guineas and/or geese so nobody to complain, they don't complain about me mowing the lawn at 6AM either (I do wait until I hear another small engine fire up somewhere).

In reality, not a lot you can do, keeping chickens is a fact of life in rural Thailand, roosters are a fact of life in keeping chickens, cock a doodle do is what roosters do.

Believe me, you will get used to them and the day he doesn't go off you will wake up.

If your neighbour starts selling eggs, buy them, your taste buds will love you forever :P

Or you could move.

Well at leasy your not downwind of a pig farm......The good news is you will get used to it in time.......As far as laws, even if there was one I couldnt imagine how it would be enforced. The Guiness Book would need to come out as it would be the first time a rural Thai cop ever saw the crack of dawn.

Buy a BIG piece of land outside the village.................Wife did 15 rai no neighbours and if any do come they will be far enough away...........until one decides he wants a big fooook off stereo

Buy a BIG piece of land outside the village.................Wife did 15 rai no neighbours and if any do come they will be far enough away...........until one decides he wants a big fooook off stereo

I'm foreigner, I cannot own land, I cannot afford to buy land and I have no interest in circumventing Thai laws. Even if I could, and did, that does not answer my query.

What's the law?

If there is anything annoying in the world to hear it would be the call of this useless bird call all throughout the

day and night, it seems that your neighbor is an insensitive to this noise pollution as much as most

Asian male that some how think that that retched sound is a music to their ears.....

not a thing you can do. In fact you should have realised what the outcome would be and not said anything as now he knows what his farang neighbor is like, as if anything happens to his prize rooster or hens who is he coming after ... ?

simple ....... get use to it or move ..

You're lucky, our roo goes off at about 4.45.

Everyone around has chooks, guineas and/or geese so nobody to complain, they don't complain about me mowing the lawn at 6AM either (I do wait until I hear another small engine fire up somewhere).

In reality, not a lot you can do, keeping chickens is a fact of life in rural Thailand, roosters are a fact of life in keeping chickens, cock a doodle do is what roosters do.

Believe me, you will get used to them and the day he doesn't go off you will wake up.

If your neighbour starts selling eggs, buy them, your taste buds will love you forever tongue.png

Or you could move.

Thanks for your comments.

As for my query, do you know the law, or where to find it about the minimum distance from a home a chicken coop must be?

not a thing you can do. In fact you should have realised what the outcome would be and not said anything as now he knows what his farang neighbor is like, as if anything happens to his prize rooster or hens who is he coming after ... ?

Thanks for your opinion, do you know what the minimum distance must be ?

If there is anything annoying in the world to hear it would be the call of this useless bird call all throughout the

day and night, it seems that your neighbor is an insensitive to this noise pollution as much as most

Asian male that some how think that that retched sound is a music to their ears.....

Not sure I agree with your generalizations on " Asian males.." The cluster of homes has been very quiet over the years, this is a new tenant in the house, leasing the plot the shack is on and I think he is very sensitive to noise , as are his family members and immediate neighbors. This is why he put it 25 meters from my home and not his.

I'm considering making a recording of the fowl, and then rig a way to broadcast it. It will be a pain to get dressed and walk up the lane to crow every morning at 5 : 40 am

come on ....... forget minimum distance or noise pollution.

This is rural thailand, you are in a no win situation .... sorry but reality is you cannot do anything.

Can you put up some tree pot plants to create a wall that might lessen the noise impact ... ?

This is rural thailand, you are in a no win situation .... sorry but reality is you cannot do anything.

Can you put up some tree pot plants to create a wall that might lessen the noise impact ... ?

It's not rural Thailand, but a rural enclave on Phuket about 3 kilometers from several 5 star resorts. The villas up on the hill above us go for $ 1 million USD.

I feel quite sure there is a minimum distance requirement and that is my query. Do you know it?

As far as I know there is no law about this. Property owners can do what they want on their property except have the rainwater from their roof fall directly into the neighbours property. Donot expect anything to happen to change this. Thais have lived like this for centuries. They arenot going to change because some foreigner moves in and wants laws made to protect his lifestyle. you knew it was rural Thailand when you bought and built . It is still rural Thailand and you need to change not them. Either you werenot aware of the reality or you feel you want to live in Thailand with too many laws same as the country you came from. This isnot a nanny state.

My neighbours chickens come in my yard I have to chase them out before the dog gets them. In rural Thailand you have to live and let live..

also most Thais are up at 4 am so noise after that means nothing to them.

Edited by lovelomsak

I'm foreigner, I cannot own land, I cannot afford to buy land and I have no interest in circumventing Thai laws. Even if I could, and did, that does not answer my query.

What's the law?

Whatever the law? it will be a COMPLETE waste of time.

My Wife owns the land how did I circumvent any law ?( paid with her money not mine 800k baht for ALL)

It's not rural Thailand, but a rural enclave on Phuket about 3 kilometers from several 5 star resorts. The villas up on the hill above us go for $ 1 million USD.

I feel quite sure there is a minimum distance requirement and that is my query. Do you know it?

The only people who can accurately advise the local law is your Amphur. Once you have ascertained if a relevant law is actually in place, highly likely you would need the support of a least two local Thais to make a similar complaint. At least that was my experience with a neighbour's constantly barking dogs on the Darkside in Pattaya.

Your lucky,we had a horse stable built in front of our house,

it could have been worse for you,could have been a Karaoke

hut !.Thailand is not a place for complainers,you need to move

back home where they have too many laws,including noise pollution.

regards Worgeordie

Not true. The answer to this problem lies in the law of nature and not Thai law.

Be a falconer. Those roosters will shut their traps...

Edited by trogers

I am in Bangkok in a 40 year old housing development and have a few neighbors on the other 60-80 square wah properties that have chickens - there are no laws to prevent and no room for set-backs - but you can install thicker glass and air conditioners or white noise generators if you can not sleep - or adjust your day to theirs. I have found the use of a rather noisy air cleaner in addition to normal (quiet) air conditioner makes for a much better sleep.

The only people who can accurately advise the local law is your Amphur. Once you have ascertained if a relevant law is actually in place, highly likely you would need the support of a least two local Thais to make a similar complaint. At least that was my experience with a neighbour's constantly barking dogs on the Darkside in Pattaya.

Finally a response to my query, thank you. I am contacting a friend at the Or Bor Tor and the neighbors( the considerate quiet ones ) are already mad at him, as what they warned him about has come to pass, that I would complain. Good thing I let them use my property as a parking lot a few weeks ago for a wedding.

I am in Bangkok in a 40 year old housing development and have a few neighbors on the other 60-80 square wah properties that have chickens - there are no laws to prevent and no room for set-backs - but you can install thicker glass and air conditioners or white noise generators if you can not sleep - or adjust your day to theirs. I have found the use of a rather noisy air cleaner in addition to normal (quiet) air conditioner makes for a much better sleep.

Thanks for these suggestions, I do not have AC nor will I install it. However my query is about a specific law, I'm not sure you're correct it does not exist.

Not true. The answer to this problem lies in the law of nature and not Thai law.

Be a falconer. Those roosters will shut their traps...

Now this is a great suggestion if I get no relief through legal channels. Do you mean make falcon-like noises? That would put the hens off laying eggs too !!! He's also got ducks in there and there's also a vid of a falcon tearing the head off a duck, I can project that on the wall of the house.

*******NEWSFLASH ******Bird flu outbreak in Phuket !!

(Where can I source a similar bird virus ?)

Edited by FBlue72

My contact at Or Bor Tor has responded, yes there is a law, both a civil law having animals so close and a criminal complaint making noise so early in the morning. I will go and find out more at 11 AM.

Good luck Please keep us informed on how it goes. I think a lot of us would like to know how this ends.