A race against time to save the ‘bongs’ of Big Ben

webfact

A race against time to save the ‘bongs’ of Big Ben

It’s a race against time to save the “bongs” of Big Ben

LONDON: -- A report on the state of one of the United Kingdom’s most prominent symbols says if urgent repairs are not carried out the clocks’ mechanism could fail completely.

Refurbishment costs could run as high as €54m with the taxpayer picking up the tab.

Andrew Blick is from King’s College, London:
“Well clearly in a climate of austerity when parliament is voting through cuts in other areas it’s going to be controversial if they seem to authorising expenditure on that scale for a repair to what is essentially their own building. However, Big Ben and the Elizabeth Tower, which it’s on top of, is an iconic image of the UK.”

The restoration of the Palace of Westminster is already stretching the public purse to the tune of €10bn.

This comes at a time the government is introducing deep cuts across a raft of public services.

The repair work could see the clock fall silent for four months.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-20

If they don't do the maintenance required we lose one of the great icons of our age. If that happens just close the doors, turn out the lights because nobody worth a damn is in charge or at home. It is all run by the media, et al, taking care and concern of the last mentioned fashionable thing.

Perhaps they could get some money from one of the big watch companies, like Seiko. Then they could put their logo on the clock.

Or if they want to really save money, go with a digital clock.

....and yes, I am being facetious.

Edited by Credo

“Well clearly in a climate of austerity when parliament is voting through cuts in other areas it’s going to be controversial if they seem to authorising expenditure on that scale for a repair to what is essentially their own building ... ... The restoration of the Palace of Westminster is already stretching the public purse to the tune of €10bn.' Best have a word in the Chinese Pressie's ear. I'm sure the idea of a share in London's history would go down well.

why should repairing the mechanism cost 54 million? I know we live in expensive times but this is ridiculous. Is it PC to still hear the chimes ? Could it not somehow upset a minority in the gutless UK, perhaps it might remind the Muslims of something unpleasant or disturb a few of our darker brethren.

why should repairing the mechanism cost 54 million? I know we live in expensive times but this is ridiculous. Is it PC to still hear the chimes ? Could it not somehow upset a minority in the gutless UK, perhaps it might remind the Muslims of something unpleasant or disturb a few of our darker brethren.

I am insulted that the figure quoted is in Euros. We are British, for God's sake!

It's 40 million pounds sterling.

Thank you.

biggrin.png

No need to spend much at all. If they can accept that it is too high a price to pay just to make the hands move, they could still have the bongs from a loudspeaker.

The time could be told by a digital display, or they could even replace the faces with large tv screens showing an image of the original faces.

The iconic thing is the tower. I doubt many really care if the clock works, and if they do, raise the money themselves. St Pancras was saved by money raised privately.

No need to spend much at all. If they can accept that it is too high a price to pay just to make the hands move, they could still have the bongs from a loudspeaker.

The time could be told by a digital display, or they could even replace the faces with large tv screens showing an image of the original faces.

The iconic thing is the tower. I doubt many really care if the clock works, and if they do, raise the money themselves. St Pancras was saved by money raised privately.

Nooooo!

post-35489-0-03551500-1445343349_thumb.j