Don't update your BBC iPlayer?

phetphet

Now I don't know if not updating your iPlayer will prevent this by keeping an older version, hence the question mark at the end, but the BBC have now blocked access to BBC iPlayer to anyone using a VPN. This even includes licence holders residing in the UK.

I have been looking for a workaround on the net, and haven't found much. Apparently IPVanish and TorGuard currently have workarounds, but I don't know much more than that at the moment.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried Expat Shield? http://expat-shield.en.softonic.com/

This used to work for me (last time i used it was 2013) but it is a VPN so I don't know the current status.

As i'm in the UK, there's little point in my trying it!

A friend in Thailand uses hola on chrome.

Edited by VBF

I can access the player from Thailand !

It is not "blocked" so best examine how you are attempting access.

Going to happen by the looks of it

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-bbc-is-stopping-iplayer-from-vpns-abroad-2015-10

And that "Business Insider" article links to this one http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/19/bbc_cuts_off_vpn_to_iplayer/

"The Register" is a well-respected and technically knowledgeable publication and its article says:

“Now the corporation is putting a stop to all that, or at least it's trying to.”

And...... “it appears to have drawn up a list of VPN providers and blocked connections from their IP address ranges.”

From this I suspect that this will be happening soon if it hasn't already.

Most regrettable if it does.

Edited by VBF

Ironically a few months ago the BBC detailed an inexpensive way to make your own VPN which will never show up on their blocking lists.

How to set up your own Raspberry Pi powered VPN

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33548728

Just make and attach this to a residential or business internet connection in the UK, configure your Thailand side accordingly, and you will appear to be connecting from that IP address in the UK.

Edited by bierlao

BBC shuts off iPlayer to UK VPNs, cutting access to overseas fans

Iain Thomson

Terror as millions of expats suddenly silenced

LONDON:-- The BBC is trying to block access to iPlayer from UK VPNs, crushing the spirits of those overseas hoping to get a fix of Doctor Who and other British telly.

Auntie said it instituted the blockade to deter pirates from ripping off its dramas, comedies, documentaries and other programs, which are funded by TV license-fee payers in Blighty. It may also have something to do with the broadcaster's plan to charge for streaming in the US next year.

VPNs, aka virtual private networks, have many, many uses – including allowing people outside the UK to stream video from iPlayer. You must be in the UK to watch iPlayer across the internet; using a UK VPN masks your true location, and convinces the BBC you're in the country and thus allowed to view iPlayer.

Now the corporation is putting a stop to all that, or at least it's trying to. If you try to watch iPlayer via a VPN, you'll get this simple error message instead: "BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only."

"We regularly make updates to our technology to help prevent access to BBC iPlayer from outside the UK, which breaks our terms of use," a BBC spokesperson told The Register on Monday.

"BBC iPlayer is freely available to users across the UK without a VPN, and we also seek to ensure users of private VPNs such as those used by schools and companies in the UK have access."

-- The Register

BBC shuts off iPlayer to UK VPNs, cutting access to overseas fans
Iain Thomson
Terror as millions of expats suddenly silenced
LONDON:-- The BBC is trying to block access to iPlayer from UK VPNs, crushing the spirits of those overseas hoping to get a fix of Doctor Who and other British telly.
Auntie said it instituted the blockade to deter pirates from ripping off its dramas, comedies, documentaries and other programs, which are funded by TV license-fee payers in Blighty. It may also have something to do with the broadcaster's plan to charge for streaming in the US next year.
VPNs, aka virtual private networks, have many, many uses – including allowing people outside the UK to stream video from iPlayer. You must be in the UK to watch iPlayer across the internet; using a UK VPN masks your true location, and convinces the BBC you're in the country and thus allowed to view iPlayer.
Now the corporation is putting a stop to all that, or at least it's trying to. If you try to watch iPlayer via a VPN, you'll get this simple error message instead: "BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only."
"We regularly make updates to our technology to help prevent access to BBC iPlayer from outside the UK, which breaks our terms of use," a BBC spokesperson told The Register on Monday.
"BBC iPlayer is freely available to users across the UK without a VPN, and we also seek to ensure users of private VPNs such as those used by schools and companies in the UK have access."
-- The Register

JF - i already posted that with some quotes in #5!!

Edited by VBF

My VPN released an update and I can now access the IPlayer again.

But for some reason (which I think is my Thai ISP), I get the spinning wheel a lot.

I am guessing we have started a game of cat and mouse.

There are other VPN 'type' facilities that still work too.

I don't know what you mean by updating your IPlayer, I access it via a link and it resides on their server.

Edited by jacko45k

As for "Don't update your iPlayer" - that won't make any difference. They detection of the use of a VPN will be at the server end of things - nothing to do with the client used.

Detection can be simple has having a list of IP addresses associated with UK VPN providers and blocking those IP addresses. I suspect this is what the BBC is planning on doing. It may be a little while before their list of addresses to ban is complete, hence some users not yet experiencing difficulties.

A more sophisticated and generic approach is (in simple terms) to look at the network packet size. This will be larger for VPN data because the user's original data needs to be "wrapped" with additional information for transport across the VPN and back.

Have you tried Expat Shield? http://expat-shield.en.softonic.com/

This used to work for me (last time i used it was 2013) but it is a VPN so I don't know the current status.

As i'm in the UK, there's little point in my trying it!

A friend in Thailand uses hola on chrome.

Hola is not that good, you can only view not download. The download 'exe' file is for internet explorer.

I always keep some programs on my laptop in case the internet goes down or like last week I had 2 nights on the train. Be a bit of a blow if the iplayer does become unavailable.

I haven't done the latest update so glad of the warning.

If you use an Android tv box then install the app Livetv!now you can watch all of the BBC channels along with itv,c4 etc live and it's a free app. You can also record shows for later. In my 8 years outside the UK I've never needed the use of a VPN.

If you use an Android tv box then install the app Livetv!now you can watch all of the BBC channels along with itv,c4 etc live and it's a free app. You can also record shows for later. In my 8 years outside the UK I've never needed the use of a VPN.

I have a recording facility but the BBC download facility is far superior, unfortunately it is the only one of the main UK channels that has download available.

oncearugge... I have tried three different VPN's: HideMyAss, ExpressVPN, and IPVanish which is one of the one's that is supposed to have a workaround. All without success. I have tried on both my Mac and my iPad.

Perhaps you could tell us which VPN you are using, and how you are managing to get iPlayer. Much appreciated.

But for some reason (which I think is my Thai ISP), I get the spinning wheel a lot.

I don't know what you mean by updating your IPlayer, I access it via a link and it resides on their server.

jacko45k...Which VPN are you using? If you don't mind me asking.

BBC have only blocked certain VPN services that use the same IP addresses. If you have a provider with a large pool of IP addresses, chances are they will not be blocked. BBC simply recognise many users with the same IP address and that flags it as a VPN.

I'm in the UK TV business and live here in Thailand, PM me for a working solution.

Edited by drink75

Yep - it's been 'cat and mouse' for a while. About a month ago i was blocked from iPlayer using my VPN (HMAss)

and when i contacted HMA they provided a list of UK servers that would connect to iPlayer - so it was already a case

of them trying to stay one step ahead of the BBC at that time. I've contacted HMA just now and will post their reaction

if i get one.

Going to happen by the looks of it

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-bbc-is-stopping-iplayer-from-vpns-abroad-2015-10

And that "Business Insider" article links to this one http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/19/bbc_cuts_off_vpn_to_iplayer/

"The Register" is a well-respected and technically knowledgeable publication and its article says:

“Now the corporation is putting a stop to all that, or at least it's trying to.”

And...... “it appears to have drawn up a list of VPN providers and blocked connections from their IP address ranges.”

From this I suspect that this will be happening soon if it hasn't already.

Most regrettable if it does.

'Regrettable' indeed - and completely stupid by the Beeb - they lose countless viewers for their output who often spread the word about the Beeb's qualities in all corners of the world, and they haven't even looked at how they might get a small %age of the revenue from each VPN that supports connecting to them - if revenue is what it's all about.

Yes that is good, also learn how to use use torrents, much better quailty that iplayer anyway