Border Crossings for Re-activating Triple Entry Tourist Visa

If this has been answered elsewhere please let me know and I apologise!.*

I'm heading to Thailand from NZ in January (I'm British though) and am planning on getting a triple entry tourist visa.

I've tried getting answers on this but I can't make heads nor tails of the several different stories I'm getting. Could anybody please help;

Firstly, does the time on the visa begin from the day you get it or the day you touchdown in Thailand?

Secondly, would anyone be able to provide an up-to-date list of places where you can cross into border countries to re-activate the thing?

Thirdly if, for example, I was to cross into somewhere in Laos and spend a few days and come back as long as I was within the usage date on the visa could I just come back and re-activate it then?

It all seems very (needlessly) complicated but any help would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks.

This is answered practically on every page.

First of all by the time you will apply, triple entry will not be available anymore, you will only be able to pay for a multi-entry tourist visa, cost will be GBP 125.

Anyway the time counts by the time you enter. You can extend any entry for 30 days, cost bath 1,900, and activate a new entry at virtually any land or air border post..

Edited by paz

The 6 month multi entry visa is coming, a visa starts on the day it is issued, and all entries are to be made before the visa expiry/use by date, either 3 or 6 months from issue, so get as close to departure as possible.

I suggest you do some research on here to answer your questions the 6 month m/e visa is well covered on here.

I got in touch with both the embassy in Wellington and here in Cardiff and neither one knew anything about this multiple entry 6 month visa and neither of them knew anything about it and there was nothing about it on the Thai site.

This forum knows that they claim to not know. It is just another demonstration of the disconnection between what the MoFA in Bangkok dictates and what the consulates abroad do.

First of all by the time you will apply, triple entry will not be available anymore, you will only be able to pay for a multi-entry tourist visa, cost will be GBP 125.

Anyway the time counts by the time you enter. You can extend any entry for 30 days, cost bath 1,900, and activate a new entry at virtually any land or air border post..

Other than a few embassies that are already known to be difficult for getting tourist visas is there is any mention of of a 2 or 3 entry not being available. There is nothing on the MFA website about it.

• Like 1

The reality is you going have wait & see how pans out, & even after metv released it likely other tv visa options/rules do uturns as normal.

would be surprised double gets dropped in regional consulates as would be losing situation for travellers wanting pick up 3-4month visa out of their home country in a easy way, but anything possible at the moment more than ever .

Edited by BuckBee
  • Like 1

I guess you want to plan your holiday too.

Yes, of course it's fine to stay out for a few days, that's what the visa is for.

The visa will still run, and you will get the 90 days (?) on arrival.

The stress free land borders near me on the malay border are Pedang Bezar and wang prachan .. I never have a problem entering from Laos and always do the same as you, take a break there. I find the officers there most polite and helpful.

Reading the forum, maybe avoid the Burmese borders unless you have to, it all sounds a bit hit and miss and quite frankly scary ( getting on boats, going to resorts, purchasing entry permits, etc )

Cambodia has had it moments, but you can keep up tod ate by contacting a visa run service in Bangkok who will know exactly.

I think, if you are a genuine tourist using Thailand as a base for travel in the region, then you shouldn't have problems. Enjoy your travels.

I wonder if anyone can answer me this, from what I can see, Thailand have bosses at all their Immigration offices, Consulates, Embassies, and allow them to make up there own rules, which causes confusion amongst everyone who has to deal with them.

What I want to know is this, is this normal behaviour? Do other countries carry on like this, or is it mainly down to Thailand?

I wonder if anyone can answer me this, from what I can see, Thailand have bosses at all their Immigration offices, Consulates, Embassies, and allow them to make up there own rules, which causes confusion amongst everyone who has to deal with them.

What I want to know is this, is this normal behaviour? Do other countries carry on like this, or is it mainly down to Thailand?

Its true for every country: Each country has different regulations according to the number of foreign visitors they want from that other country.

And it makes sense, the more desperate the people are to emigrate the more restricted are the applications.

For example the Swedish embassy in Syria has probably much stricter requirements that the one in New York.

• Like 1

The mutation of vocabulary is very interesting :

What was once called a "visa run" is now called a "Border crossing to reactivate tourist visa"

Truly fascinating smile.png

I don't think it is mutation of vocabulary just a different way of saying it.

In fact calling it a visa run is wrong. A trip to an embassy or consulate for a visa is truly the only visa run. I would call it doing a border run to obtain a new entry from a valid visa. Or even shorter doing a border hop for a new entry.

• Like 1

Other than a few embassies that are already known to be difficult for getting tourist visas is there is any mention of of a 2 or 3 entry not being available. There is nothing on the MFA website about it.

I'm not sure what you're expecting to see on the MFA website. They announced that the TR is staying, but the MFA information on TR criteria doesn't mention 2 or 3 entries anyway, so I doubt they will need to change anything. Just add the METV.

I think the only way we will know is from each individual embassy/consulate.

Edited by elviajero

I'm not sure what you're expecting to see on the MFA website. They announced that the TR is staying, but the MFA information on TR criteria doesn't mention 2 or 3 entries anyway, so I doubt they will need to change anything. Just add the METV.

I think the only way we will know is from each individual embassy/consulate.

It does not call out the 2 or 3 entry tourist visa. It just states the following.

"3. VISA FEE 1,000 Baht per entry

(Visa fee may be changed without prior notice)"

If there was truly such a dramatic change of only single entry visas being allowed they would certainly make an announcement or press release.

I am also skeptical about the income requirements that some websites.are showing for the METV. Also if they truly are only going to do them in a persons home country that makes me even more sure they will not eliminate visas allowing more than one entry.

• Like 2

Firstly, does the time on the visa begin from the day you get it or the day you touchdown in Thailand?

A triple entry visa is usually valid for 6 months from the day it's issued.

Secondly, would anyone be able to provide an up-to-date list of places where you can cross into border countries to re-activate the thing?

This might help. Link.

Thirdly if, for example, I was to cross into somewhere in Laos and spend a few days and come back as long as I was within the usage date on the visa could I just come back and re-activate it then?

Yes. A maximum of 3 entries are available on or before the 'enter before' date (usage date) printed on the visa. Each entry gives a 60 day stay. Even if you enter on the last day possible you still get 60 days.

IF the triple is not be available after Nov 13th. The new METV works the same as the triple entry visa except it's not limited to 3 entries. We don't yet know if the METV will be available outside home countries and the application criteria may be stricter.

If it does turn out that the triple is going or the METV is unavailable you could apply for a triple just before Nov 13th.

• e.g. If it's issued on Nov 10th the visa would be valid until May 9th.
  • Your last entry would be available until May 9th.
  • Entering close to May 9th gives you a 60 day stay that can also be extended by 30 days at immigration (1,900 baht).

So even if you apply early, with some planning, you could stay until early August.

The mutation of vocabulary is very interesting :

What was once called a "visa run" is now called a "Border crossing to reactivate tourist visa"

Truly fascinating smile.png

I don't think it is mutation of vocabulary just a different way of saying it.

In fact calling it a visa run is wrong. A trip to an embassy or consulate for a visa is truly the only visa run. I would call it doing a border run to obtain a new entry from a valid visa. Or even shorter doing a border hop for a new entry.

The fact is before the "events" everyone was calling border runs, visa runs, wrongly or not.

And now,its like the word is taboo; it became a border "crossing" not a border "run".

Its true for every country: Each country has different regulations according to the number of foreign visitors they want from that other country.

And it makes sense, the more desperate the people are to emigrate the more restricted are the applications.

For example the Swedish embassy in Syria has probably much stricter requirements that the one in New York.

That's simply not true as far as Immigration offices within a single country are concerned. I can't think of a single First World country with which I've had dealings where individual branches of their Immigration Department can simply make up "local" observances as happens routinely in Thailand

That's simply not true as far as Immigration offices within a single country are concerned. I can't think of a single First World country with which I've had dealings where individual branches of their Immigration Department can simply make up "local" observances as happens routinely in Thailand

I don't think individual border controls in Thailand "make up local observances". Land borders have the bulk of illegal workers crossing in/out so it makes sense for them to be given different orders/policies than airports.

This might help. Link.

Yes. A maximum of 3 entries are available on or before the 'enter before' date (usage date) printed on the visa. Each entry gives a 60 day stay. Even if you enter on the last day possible you still get 60 days.

IF the triple is not be available after Nov 13th. The new METV works the same as the triple entry visa except it's not limited to 3 entries. We don't yet know if the METV will be available outside home countries and the application criteria may be stricter.

If it does turn out that the triple is going or the METV is unavailable you could apply for a triple just before Nov 13th.

• Entering close to May 9th gives you a 60 day stay that can also be extended by 30 days at immigration (1,900 baht).
So even if you apply early, with some planning, you could stay until early August.

Thanks very much mate!

Just one more thing if possible please; if I did leave Thailand during one of my 3 time limits and go to Laos (or anywhere else) would the days on the entry just keep counting down as normal or would leaving Thailand end that entry and require me to start the one after it when I come back (ie ; if 20 days into my first entry I entered Laos would that end that first entry and start my second when I get back to Thailand?). Thanks very much again.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

"Firstly, does the time on the visa begin from the day you get it or the day you touchdown in Thailand?"

"Secondly, would anyone be able to provide an up-to-date list of places where you can cross into border countries to re-activate the thing?"

This might help. Link.

"Thirdly if, for example, I was to cross into somewhere in Laos and spend a few days and come back as long as I was within the usage date on the visa could I just come back and re-activate it then?"

Thanks very much mate!

Just one more thing if possible please; if I did leave Thailand during one of my 3 time limits and go to Laos (or anywhere else) would the days on the entry just keep counting down as normal or would leaving Thailand end that entry and require me to start the one after it when I come back (ie ; if 20 days into my first entry I entered Laos would that end that first entry and start my second when I get back to Thailand?). Thanks very much again.

You're welcome!

• You can buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht) that will keep your 1st entry stay alive.
  • If you left on day 20 with a re-entry permit and re-entered 10 days later the IO would use the re-entry permit (not your 2nd entry), and you would still have 30 days left of your original 60 day stay.
  • Using a re-entry permit would keep your 2nd entry for another time/entry.
  • You could use a (new) re-entry permit for any stay.
  • You can also extend any stay by 30 days (1,900 baht).
Edited by elviajero

"Firstly, does the time on the visa begin from the day you get it or the day you touchdown in Thailand?"

"Secondly, would anyone be able to provide an up-to-date list of places where you can cross into border countries to re-activate the thing?"

This might help. Link.

"Thirdly if, for example, I was to cross into somewhere in Laos and spend a few days and come back as long as I was within the usage date on the visa could I just come back and re-activate it then?"

Thanks very much mate!

You're welcome!
  • You can buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht) that will keep your 1st entry stay alive.
  • If you left on day 20 with a re-entry permit and re-entered 10 days later the IO would use the re-entry permit (not your 2nd entry), and you would still have 30 days left of your original 60 day stay.

Think I'll use this strategy at some point; really fancying a week or two in Luang Prabang at some point.

Guessing you can get the re-entry permits at the immigration offices.

Thanks very much again mate you've been really helpful!

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

This might help. Link.

Thanks very much mate!

You're welcome!

Think I'll use this strategy at some point; really fancying a week or two in Luang Prabang at some point.

Guessing you can get the re-entry permits at the immigration offices.

Thanks very much again mate you've been really helpful!

Yep well worth the visit. Just my opinion, but it's a good idea to save trips like that for the times you have to do a border run. The important entry to maximise your stay is the 3rd just before the visa expires.

Yes you can get re-entry permits from immigration offices and airports. A few land borders can issue them too (I don't know which), but if your leaving by land I'd recommend getting it from an immigration office.

The validity of the Visa starts on the day you obtain it from the embassy or consulate.

A double entry visa has 3 months validity

A triple entry visa has 6 months validity

Therefore the last entry into thailand is either upto 3 months from issue, or 6 months from issue, dependant on which visa you have purchased, it will be clearly marked on you visa, as entry before --/--/--. This date is fixed. After this date your visa is not valid for entry to Thailand