CTH problem in Chiang Mai

Chiengmaijoe

Got GMMZ all sorted out and didn't miss any of the weekend games. Was a proper comedy of errors geting there including trying to palm me off with a second hand box that couldn't be registered, the installer trying to widen the hole in the wall for True rather than drilling a new one and mangling the cable for True. Fitting a dual LNB that worked fine on the GMMZ but lost all True channels with the installer having no idea how to get them back (after the mangled cable was sorted). I ended up trial and erroring all LNB settings until I found one that worked. Luckily hit the right combo after about 15 mins. On the plus side no call centre/journey to 7-11 simply registered online selected a package and then paid it thru internet banking. Walked thru to the other room and it was already on. I only hope, after buying the box and a new LNB and paying for installation that it won't need changing again before the end of the season. Thanks again to all who offered their fine suggestions and ensured i didn't miss any games. Cheers all smile.png

LNB?

HT1G1rJFTdaXXagOFbXI.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the name of a box that works with GMMZ ? The online registration requires either a 16 digit serial number beginning with 8120 or a 10 digit number beginning with 2. I looked in Tesco today without finding any suitable box. If someone can provide the name and model number of a box that can be registered online, I would be grateful.

I wasted time on their call centre last week, and don't want to waste more time listening to their crappy music.

Z HD Lite

Bt1650 @ Tesco

There is no model number that I can see

Images of the box attached

post-115165-0-29889600-1445858402_thumb.

post-115165-0-94592600-1445858402_thumb.

Low Noise Block

An LNB is the receiver that picks up the reflected signals collected by the dish.

A dual LNB set up has two LNBs on the same dish.

Got GMMZ all sorted out and didn't miss any of the weekend games. Was a proper comedy of errors geting there including trying to palm me off with a second hand box that couldn't be registered, the installer trying to widen the hole in the wall for True rather than drilling a new one and mangling the cable for True. Fitting a dual LNB that worked fine on the GMMZ but lost all True channels with the installer having no idea how to get them back (after the mangled cable was sorted). I ended up trial and erroring all LNB settings until I found one that worked. Luckily hit the right combo after about 15 mins. On the plus side no call centre/journey to 7-11 simply registered online selected a package and then paid it thru internet banking. Walked thru to the other room and it was already on. I only hope, after buying the box and a new LNB and paying for installation that it won't need changing again before the end of the season. Thanks again to all who offered their fine suggestions and ensured i didn't miss any games. Cheers all smile.png

LNB?

HT1G1rJFTdaXXagOFbXI.jpg

Thanks for the information and the scan so I can see where to look for the box number, I'll be on my way tomorrow to see if I can find one.

If you're buying have a look at the package on offer currently for b3000 for HD lite box and 120 days of 'Beyond CTH' (CTH stadium channels plus movie channels, etc). After 120 days choose do you just want Premier football package at b699 month or Beyond CTH package at b999 month.

Thanks to all who helped, I now have a GMMZ system working.

I called at Tesco and was told the HD Lite box didn't work with GMMZ, despite it being made by them. I bought one, anyway for 1450. I asked about the 4 month offer but nobody had heard about it.

Got home and went online to register. No problem despite the fact it was all in Thai, selected the Premier League HD package and paid 1,799 for 3 months. An E-mail and a OTP later, the set began to download the software. It tried twice and had errors, but the third try worked, but no picture. I had connected it to the Truevisions dish and I know they are vertical polarization whereas the info I was getting from the GMMZ box was telling me it was horizontal polarization. I know GMMZ also transmit with vertical polarization, so how to get the box to receive it.

It didn't help that everything was in Thai, but I stumbled upon a screen with one word that I could read in English "LNB" and two buttons, one indicating "Yes", the other "No". Feeling sure that I was about to cock-up big time, I chose "Yes". Some more processing, and I got a picture. All the Stadium channels are there.

Concerned that I had lost the True channels, I changed the satellite feed back to the Truevisions box, and all was well.

Later I'll split the satellite feed in two, so that I don't need to unplug cables, but for now I'm glad it all works.

Thanks for the information and the scan so I can see where to look for the box number, I'll be on my way tomorrow to see if I can find one.

If you're buying have a look at the package on offer currently for b3000 for HD lite box and 120 days of 'Beyond CTH' (CTH stadium channels plus movie channels, etc). After 120 days choose do you just want Premier football package at b699 month or Beyond CTH package at b999 month.

The B3000 package box front & back

post-19652-0-81415500-1445951021_thumb.jpost-19652-0-47417000-1445951093_thumb.j

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Thanks to all who helped, I now have a GMMZ system working.

I called at Tesco and was told the HD Lite box didn't work with GMMZ, despite it being made by them. I bought one, anyway for 1450. I asked about the 4 month offer but nobody had heard about it.

Got home and went online to register. No problem despite the fact it was all in Thai, selected the Premier League HD package and paid 1,799 for 3 months. An E-mail and a OTP later, the set began to download the software. It tried twice and had errors, but the third try worked, but no picture. I had connected it to the Truevisions dish and I know they are vertical polarization whereas the info I was getting from the GMMZ box was telling me it was horizontal polarization. I know GMMZ also transmit with vertical polarization, so how to get the box to receive it.

It didn't help that everything was in Thai, but I stumbled upon a screen with one word that I could read in English "LNB" and two buttons, one indicating "Yes", the other "No". Feeling sure that I was about to cock-up big time, I chose "Yes". Some more processing, and I got a picture. All the Stadium channels are there.

Concerned that I had lost the True channels, I changed the satellite feed back to the Truevisions box, and all was well.

Later I'll split the satellite feed in two, so that I don't need to unplug cables, but for now I'm glad it all works.

Good to hear you're up and running. Can you explain how you'll do as referred to in your last paragraph?

Apparently it's not as easy as I thought because each box has to have "direct sight" of the LNB to control the signal. I don't understand all of this, it's merely what I read.

I have an old splitter that I used on C-Band transmissions 20 years ago. It worked fine then, but not now. Using it to split the feed from the Truevisions dish only allows 1 box to work. If the feed is split to the two boxes only the True feed gets through. If the True feed is disconnected from the splitter, only the GMMZ feed gets through.

This at least means that I only have to connect/disconnect one connection on the splitter to switch from one box to the other, and I don't have to touch either box, so less wear and tear on their connectors. It's not ideal, but as I only need to switch when I want to watch the football, I can live with it.

Edited by delboy

"Direct line-of-sight" is only necessary between the 'dish' and 'satellite' it's aligned to receive. So no worries there.

I believe delboy just wants both boxes to be connected to the sat dish coaxial cable going to the LNB, but not operate them both simultaneously. So a simple 'signal splitter' designed for satellite dish use can be used. Both Set-Top-Boxes can receive the same signal simultaneously.

The thing one needs to be aware of is that Satellite Set-Top-Boxes send DC Voltage up the coaxial cable to power the LNB electronics, and this voltage is present while the box is turned on, and may be present even if the box is turned off but still plugged into a live electrical outlet (the voltage is used to keep the LNB electronics powered and at a consistent temperature), and the presence of this DC Voltage is the reason why you have to use a special 'splitter' made for satellite dish use.

Also, that same DC Voltage is used to tell the LNB (Low Noise Block amplifier/converter) electronics which of the two polarized signal feeds being sent by a satellite to select and send down the cable (using 13vdc for 'Vertical' or 'Right Hand Circular' polarization, and 18vdc for 'Horizontal' or Left Hand Circuclar' polarization), as only one feed can be sent over the length of coaxial able at any given time.

If both Set-Top-Boxes only utilized the Vertical polarized (or Horizontal polarized) signal feed received from a satellite then it's possible to turn both Set-Top-Boxes on and run then simultaneously, tuning only the Vertical (or horizontal) polarized signal feed for use by both Set-Top-Boxes. No issue.

An issue only arises if one Set-Top-Box is trying to tune the Horizontal polarized signal feed and the other Set-Top-Box is trying to tune the Vertical polarized signal feed ... the Set-Top-Box sending 18vdc will always win and set the LNB to select the Vertical polarized signal feed. No harm done, just the other box gets an unexpected signal feed it can't tune (no picture).

A alternative would be to swap out the existing single-LNB with a dual-LNB and run a dedicated coaxial cable to each Set-Top-Box, allowing then to select H/V polarized feeds independent of the other.

Why is everyone acting so sleepy all of a sudden?