CTH problem in Chiang Mai

Chiengmaijoe

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another CTH thread running in Internet, computers, communication, technology Forum

possibly a premonition?

Started by piewarmer, Yesterday, 14:36
Most of the posts deal with people having their CTH service cut off, receiving correct/erroneous past-due billings, or demands to pay for a box they've already purchased.

Is it right to assume that I can use my CTH dish to connect with a GMM box?

I have used the same dish for the past ten or so years on many different boxes, as each one has come and failed I have only bought boxes not dishes.

It sounded plausible and it turns out it is. I have a guy installing a GMM box as we speak, using the CTH dish. The only problem with that is that if , for some strange reason, CTH decide to reconnect me I won't know about it. I have already spent about 150B calling their call-centre today and that is without actually speaking to anyone!

I did a temporary upgrade of my Truevisons package to Gold in order to get the Rugby and surprise, surprise they switched it on within half an hour, but ........ to downground is only posssible by notifying them before the 1st of the month. You've got to laugh.

Is it right to assume that I can use my CTH dish to connect with a GMM box?

I have used the same dish for the past ten or so years on many different boxes, as each one has come and failed I have only bought boxes not dishes.

It sounded plausible and it turns out it is. I have a guy installing a GMM box as we speak, using the CTH dish. The only problem with that is that if , for some strange reason, CTH decide to reconnect me I won't know about it.

CTH primarily distributes their channel lineup encrypted over satellite using Ku-band (small dish) on Vinasat 2 at 131.8°E

Some CTH channels are redistributed by GMMz via satellite on both Ku-band and C-band on Thaicom 5/6 at 78.5°E

The same dish and LNB (Low Noise Block) amplifier can be used with other Ku band sat services, and only require switching out the set-top-box and repointing/aligning the 'dish' to look at a different satellite.

Mine is out in Udon Thani too, every channel reports "not included in your package", although I have EPL package + other channels that come with that and I am all paid up on my monthly bills and rarely late, and certainly not recently, so no issue with payment. I have tried calling but there is always a busy message (which a Thai pre-recorded message advises even after you've pressed "9" for the English option). I have tried sending a message via the form on their website, but it simply reports "error" every time. Sent an email about 24 hours ago.... sure you can guess the rest :(

Mine is out in Udon Thani too, every channel reports "not included in your package", although I have EPL package + other channels that come with that and I am all paid up on my monthly bills and rarely late, and certainly not recently, so no issue with payment. I have tried calling but there is always a busy message (which a Thai pre-recorded message advises even after you've pressed "9" for the English option). I have tried sending a message via the form on their website, but it simply reports "error" every time. Sent an email about 24 hours ago.... sure you can guess the rest sad.png

You may as well walk away from them as many have done.My email to them,3 days ago, bounced sraight back,the web site was down and

I refuse to waste more money on calling them. For us a minor inconvenience, we were expecting this and have made other arrangements

There are no consumer protection laws in this country that why never ,ever, pay a year in advance.

Chances of getting a CTH deposit back are zero.Even True when we cancelled, and all equipment was in order, it took 8 mths to get it.

Thankfully I only pay monthly. I just looked closely at my latest bill and there is 8,700 bt of outstanding balance, which is a nonsense. Unfortunately I don't have any other option for watching EPL football as I'm out in the wilds and rely on poor signal aircard internet. No ToT or cable etc out here. Unsure what to do really.

dsspiral

Mine is out to, even had the local cth guy around yesterday and he said even he has no pay channels at home!

I am also in a crappy internet area so no ilkietv etc options for me.

I am going to try gmmz or whatever they are called, we have enough boxes and dishes around the place to try all and sundry. It's worth a few hundred bt to see if they are still showing the football.

All you need is an old true dish or one of the big black one's you see everywhere and plug it in and you should be good to go.

Over the years I have had true rs sunbox cth gmm psi, pretty much all of them and i can usually hook a set top box up to one of them and get a signal. So it may be worth a try for you. It's also cheaper than cth if you just want the football.

dsspiral

Mine is out to, even had the local cth guy around yesterday and he said even he has no pay channels at home!

I am also in a crappy internet area so no ilkietv etc options for me.

I am going to try gmmz or whatever they are called, we have enough boxes and dishes around the place to try all and sundry. It's worth a few hundred bt to see if they are still showing the football.

All you need is an old true dish or one of the big black one's you see everywhere and plug it in and you should be good to go.

Over the years I have had true rs sunbox cth gmm psi, pretty much all of them and i can usually hook a set top box up to one of them and get a signal. So it may be worth a try for you. It's also cheaper than cth if you just want the football.

Can you report back how you get on.

We've also been cut off, suffer crap wifi so unsure what to do next to watch Premier games.

bredbury

In case you are still suffering and have no cth my plan worked, just got back from 7/11 paid 599bt and am now watching Alan Curbishley being all cockney on stadium 6.

I had an old rs sunbox from the last world cup, plugged it into an old true dish and then signed up thru the rs sport tv website for a one month package. They send you an sms or you can print the confirmation page of your order then troop off to 7/11 pay them and by the time you get back you should be up and running.

The picture is only sd but i can put up with that as i just wanted to make sure it worked. The next plan will be to but a gmmz box from the local tesco and then same process with payment and I'll be back in hd.

If you don't have any other dishes or set top boxes than cth you will have to incest a bit more but if you do it is win win as 599 is cheaper than cth and as there is no billing you won't end up with some made up 18k bill.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I will try the GMMZ option. I have a True dish and a CTH dish on the house but the True dish is for basic Thai package for the family downstairs. My TV is upstairs for the footie and only connected to the CTH dish. I will have to look into the full GMMZ package. Will miss the games this weekend but hopefully sorted by next weekend.

Paying 3 years up front to a brand new untried or tested channel in Thailand is ridiculous.

Yes I'd have to agree if I remember correctly the deal was 3 years subscription and the system installed for 25000 baht.

I politely declined preferring to pay monthly exactly for many of the issues raid recently,although in defence of CTH I've never had any problem with billing or channel disruption except for rain fade which can not be helped in tropical climates.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I will try the GMMZ option. I have a True dish and a CTH dish on the house but the True dish is for basic Thai package for the family downstairs. My TV is upstairs for the footie and only connected to the CTH dish. I will have to look into the full GMMZ package. Will miss the games this weekend but hopefully sorted by next weekend.

You can get a grammy box at 7/11 and also pay the subscriptions there. The website is reasonable. Different boxes depending on SD or HD. You will have to wiggle your CTH dish, but other than that it should be easy enough to do and then you won't miss the big matches this weekend - 3 derby matches!

There is an English option on top right that doesn't show up on my ipad browser.

http://www.gmmz.tv/product.php

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

gmmz packages are here http://www.gmmz.tv/package.php scroll down for prices

The Premier League Plus SD has SD coverage of Stadium 1-6 for 599 baht per month.

Premier League Plus HD has HD coverage for 699 baht per month.

Chiengmaijoe, did you get your gmmz box set up ok? If so, what dish (CTH or True) did it connect to ?

Edited by delboy

bredbury

In case you are still suffering and have no cth my plan worked, just got back from 7/11 paid 599bt and am now watching Alan Curbishley being all cockney on stadium 6.

I had an old rs sunbox from the last world cup, plugged it into an old true dish and then signed up thru the rs sport tv website for a one month package. They send you an sms or you can print the confirmation page of your order then troop off to 7/11 pay them and by the time you get back you should be up and running.

The picture is only sd but i can put up with that as i just wanted to make sure it worked. The next plan will be to but a gmmz box from the local tesco and then same process with payment and I'll be back in hd.

If you don't have any other dishes or set top boxes than cth you will have to incest a bit more but if you do it is win win as 599 is cheaper than cth and as there is no billing you won't end up with some made up 18k bill.

Hope this helps.

I'm a ludite so alot of your very helpful comments weren't understood.

We have CTH and Truevisions so I'm not sure how I could follow your lead. Are you saying it should be possible to sign up with rs sport tv website and somehow watch it through my CTH or Truevisions box and dish? Similarly i didn't understand how signing up with Gmmz, getting their box, signing up with rs sport tv website would get it to work.

Even though there is some kind of linkup between CTH and GMMZ, I assume they are two completely different companies and setups, so if I can't get CTH to drop their nonsense, it looks like best bet for me will be to cancel CTH (no good to me if they won't turn the Premier back on), sign up with GMMZ (website is in thai but I think I read somewhere its about b1300 for their dish installation and about b2300 for the box and a b999/month CTH football package).

]

gmmz packages are here http://www.gmmz.tv/package.php scroll down for prices

The Premier League Plus SD has SD coverage of Stadium 1-6 for 599 baht per month.

Premier League Plus HD has HD coverage for 600 baht per month.

Chiengmaijoe, did you get your gmmz box set up ok? If so, what dish (CTH or True) did it connect to ?

Yes, I did get it sorted. My son's mate did it but it was reasonably straight forward . He used my now defunct CTH dish. The problem with that is ..... If CTH decide to reconnect me I won't know about it or be able to check without moving my dish back. Somehow, I can't see that being necessary though. I wonder what CTH will do about me having 2 boxes and a dish, since they no longer have an agent in Chiang Mai.

I was watching CTH at home via WETV cable, and using a CTH box, but that stopped when they dropped WETV as a partner. The first I knew was when the signal was cut. They sent me some stupid bill for 7,000 baht for that set-up, which was ridiculous considering I paid every month, and there was no 7,000 baht outstanding balance before. When I rang the CTH office (that was when you could actually get through) she said that if I want to cancel I should send a copy of my passport! I expalined that I didn't need to cancel as there was nothing to cancel, ie no signal any more. She said she'd look into it ........

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Thanks for the information.

As Truevisions comes from Thaicom 5 and GMMZ is from Thaicom 6, is it possible to connect a dish currently used to receive Truevisions to a GMMZ box and then purchase a GMMZ package. I realise it would require re-connecting boxes when switching between Truevisions and GMMZ, but I would only watch GMMZ for the football, and it would save having to re-position the CTH dish.

Anyone know if that would work?

As Truevisions comes from Thaicom 5 and GMMZ is from Thaicom 6, is it possible to connect a dish currently used to receive Truevisions to a GMMZ box and then purchase a GMMZ package. I realise it would require re-connecting boxes when switching between Truevisions and GMMZ, but I would only watch GMMZ for the football, and it would save having to re-position the CTH dish.

Anyone know if that would work?

Thaicom 5 and 6 satellites are so close to each other in geosynchronous orbit that they are both considered to be in the same 78.5°E position as far as dish alignment is concerned.

So long as your dish's LNB can still select "Horizontal" or "Vertical" polarization (to select the proper 'feed') then either box will work when plugged into the sat dish coaxial cable.

There are other 'options' available if you want both boxes active at the same time.

bredbury

Hope this helps.

I'm a ludite so alot of your very helpful comments weren't understood.

We have CTH and Truevisions so I'm not sure how I could follow your lead. Are you saying it should be possible to sign up with rs sport tv website and somehow watch it through my CTH or Truevisions box and dish? Similarly i didn't understand how signing up with Gmmz, getting their box, signing up with rs sport tv website would get it to work.

Even though there is some kind of linkup between CTH and GMMZ, I assume they are two completely different companies and setups, so if I can't get CTH to drop their nonsense, it looks like best bet for me will be to cancel CTH (no good to me if they won't turn the Premier back on), sign up with GMMZ (website is in thai but I think I read somewhere its about b1300 for their dish installation and about b2300 for the box and a b999/month CTH football package).

]

You cannot use the cth or true boxes but you can use the sat dish from either of them. The old sunbox i had has been plugged into a true dish and works fine no need to buy another dish. I'm sure gmmz will be the same alternatively try it on the cth dish it will work on one or the other. You will have to invest in a new box which can be picked up easily in tesco or big c. ( did i really type incest and not invest in my earlier message!)

I have signed up through the rs sport website but everything is in sd so if possible i would suggest gmmz as they have hd. Either way all you need to do is fill in the required details on the website page and then get down to 7/11 or tesco and pay using the paycode they send you by sms or print the details and one of the brighter 7/11 employees will know what to do.

I don't know about gmmz but with rs i needed the box serial number which can be found by pressing the button on the remote marked s/n. If you are having major ludite problems it could be worth buying a gmmz box at tesco and then sign up while you are there i think you can pay for a package at tesco as well as 7. I'm sure they will know what serial number you need.

Good luck.

Had a psi box today.The installer used my existing True dish for reception and some fiddling with the cables. CTH signal all OK and will be OK for EPL games and ARSENAL tonight.

If I have understood correctly,..??? the PSI monthly is much less than the CTH monthly.

Since the panic is now over I can get back tto my usual existence...as long as CTH dont fold until the end of the season

Got GMMZ all sorted out and didn't miss any of the weekend games. Was a proper comedy of errors geting there including trying to palm me off with a second hand box that couldn't be registered, the installer trying to widen the hole in the wall for True rather than drilling a new one and mangling the cable for True. Fitting a dual LNB that worked fine on the GMMZ but lost all True channels with the installer having no idea how to get them back (after the mangled cable was sorted). I ended up trial and erroring all LNB settings until I found one that worked. Luckily hit the right combo after about 15 mins. On the plus side no call centre/journey to 7-11 simply registered online selected a package and then paid it thru internet banking. Walked thru to the other room and it was already on. I only hope, after buying the box and a new LNB and paying for installation that it won't need changing again before the end of the season. Thanks again to all who offered their fine suggestions and ensured i didn't miss any games. Cheers all :)

What was the name of a box that works with GMMZ ? The online registration requires either a 16 digit serial number beginning with 8120 or a 10 digit number beginning with 2. I looked in Tesco today without finding any suitable box. If someone can provide the name and model number of a box that can be registered online, I would be grateful.

I wasted time on their call centre last week, and don't want to waste more time listening to their crappy music.

Got GMMZ all sorted out and didn't miss any of the weekend games. Was a proper comedy of errors geting there including trying to palm me off with a second hand box that couldn't be registered, the installer trying to widen the hole in the wall for True rather than drilling a new one and mangling the cable for True. Fitting a dual LNB that worked fine on the GMMZ but lost all True channels with the installer having no idea how to get them back (after the mangled cable was sorted). I ended up trial and erroring all LNB settings until I found one that worked. Luckily hit the right combo after about 15 mins. On the plus side no call centre/journey to 7-11 simply registered online selected a package and then paid it thru internet banking. Walked thru to the other room and it was already on. I only hope, after buying the box and a new LNB and paying for installation that it won't need changing again before the end of the season. Thanks again to all who offered their fine suggestions and ensured i didn't miss any games. Cheers all :)

LNB?