Getting engaged in Thaila f

BUIC

So ive been looking for info on marriage in thailand and there is a ron out there, but i cant seem to find any info on how Thais go about getting engaged, and I mean this from a western perspective. I know Thais have an engament ceremony but is there anything before that?

Im going to ask my gf to marry me and I am just currious about the following.

1. Do thais get engaged? It seems like all my friends were bf/gf for a long time and then they just got married one day.

2. If engagement does happen in Thailand how long do thais usually wait before getting married?

3. (Im not going to skimp on this one because I want to do it) do thais get engament rings?

4. Where would you recommend to get a good ring? Is it better to get one in HK or here in Thailand? (Ill be in in 2 weeks thats why I ask).

Thanks for your info, i really look forward to reading the responses!

1.no 2 no .3 no .4 Rudells the jeweler in Harborne Birmingham England..........not near Hong Kong

3 (engagement ring) is no, but they want a gold ring (and more) anyway.. which answers 4 (where to buy) as the GF will tell you where to go right now...

I am waiting in great anticipation for his next engrossing installment about sin sot....

Lets hope op will looking for a house to RENT............................hahahahaha.

Or details on the construction of a MacMansion in the wilds of Isaan and which is the better truck to buy

I really think it would be a good idea for the op to learn a little about Thainess before jumping in at the deep end. Take some time (a lot of time) to read through the constantly repeating problems and scams that occur in LOS. Everything you need to know is right here on this site.

I really think it would be a good idea for the op to learn a little about Thainess before jumping in at the deep end. Take some time (a lot of time) to read through the constantly repeating problems and scams that occur in LOS. Everything you need to know is right here on this site.

wait for itwub.png she's DIFFERENT intheclub.gif

I agree

At least wait until he paid bar fine at least twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Thai culture and under Thai law, an engagement becomes official when the groom gives his bride-to-be a present of 24 carat gold jewelry known Khong Man. Thai law does not require a groom to give his bride a Khong Man gift before he is allowed to marry her, but refusing to give your bride a Khong Man gift would violate cultural norms. Although a Khong Man gift is expected, giving your wife an engagement ring is purely optional in Thailand.

Normally you or someone in your family approaches the Thai woman’s parents to negotiate” Tong Mun”. ” Tong Mun which literally means “gold engagement” is in reality 24 karat gold jewelry given to the bride. The concept is similar to an engagement ring in the West.

The “Tong Mun” or engagement ring will be presented to the bride at a ceremony called a “Phitee Mun,” which normally takes place at the bride’s parent’s home.

This is mainly attended by family members and shows acceptance into the family.

You and your prospective bride are now viewed as a “Koo Mun” which literally means “tied or joined couple,” (engaged party).

Ever seen a Westerner in Thailand with loads of string tied around his wrists? He partook in a “Bai Sri Soo Kwan” or engagement ceremony.

The engagement ceremony concludes with each guest tying a string around the wrist of the bride and that of the groom, while giving the married couple their blessings, followed by the placing of a garland of flowers around the couple’s necks. This is followed by the “Koo Mun,” or the actual wedding ceremony a few weeks later.

In Thai culture and under Thai law, an engagement becomes official when the groom gives his bride-to-be a present of 24 carat gold jewelry known Khong Man. Thai law does not require a groom to give his bride a Khong Man gift before he is allowed to marry her, but refusing to give your bride a Khong Man gift would violate cultural norms. Although a Khong Man gift is expected, giving your wife an engagement ring is purely optional in Thailand.

Normally you or someone in your family approaches the Thai woman’s parents to negotiate” Tong Mun”. ” Tong Mun which literally means “gold engagement” is in reality 24 karat gold jewelry given to the bride. The concept is similar to an engagement ring in the West.

The “Tong Mun” or engagement ring will be presented to the bride at a ceremony called a “Phitee Mun,” which normally takes place at the bride’s parent’s home.

This is mainly attended by family members and shows acceptance into the family.

You and your prospective bride are now viewed as a “Koo Mun” which literally means “tied or joined couple,” (engaged party).

Ever seen a Westerner in Thailand with loads of string tied around his wrists? He partook in a “Bai Sri Soo Kwan” or engagement ceremony.

The engagement ceremony concludes with each guest tying a string around the wrist of the bride and that of the groom, while giving the married couple their blessings, followed by the placing of a garland of flowers around the couple’s necks. This is followed by the “Koo Mun,” or the actual wedding ceremony a few weeks later.

and if you BELEIVE this BS your goner be known as STU PID MAN.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I'm surprised at all the posts saying it doesn't happen.The information in seancbk's post with slight variations is what i've seen.

I first witnessed an engagement which was more like a meeting of the Groom-to-be asking the Bride-to-be's parents for permission to marry about 30 years ago. Since then i've lost count of the number of nephews/neices or friends of wife or family doing the same.

I'm refering to cross section of society Thai/Thai ranging from people living in a village up to University grads. Not bar girl type situations.

Only a few weeks ago my wifes facebook had a photo of one of her dentist friends getting engaged to a doctor. Photos of these engagement meetings regularly appear on her facebook feeds.

It's usually a small gathering of the groom-to-be with the bride-to-be and her family. Other times it will be a small gathering of both families. Depending on the couples financial situation i've seen anything from a small 1/2 baht gold chain to a more substantial chain with pendent and bracelet/bangle handed to the bride-to-be during these meetings.

Edited by Farma

I'm surprised at all the posts saying it doesn't happen.The information in seancbk's post with slight variations is what i've seen.

I first witnessed an engagement which was more like a meeting of the Groom-to-be asking the Bride-to-be's parents for permission to marry about 30 years ago. Since then i've lost count of the number of nephews/neices or friends of wife or family doing the same.

I'm refering to cross section of society Thai/Thai ranging from people living in a village up to University grads. Not bar girl type situations.

Only a few weeks ago my wifes facebook had a photo of one of her dentist friends getting engaged to a doctor. Photos of these engagement meetings regularly appear on her facebook feeds.

It's usually a small gathering of the groom-to-be with the bride-to-be and her family. Other times it will be a small gathering of both families. Depending on the couples financial situation i've seen anything from a small 1/2 baht gold chain to a more substantial chain with pendent and bracelet/bangle handed to the bride-to-be during these meetings.

thai and thai ok, but farang and thai its MEE SATANG UH.giggle.gif

• 2 weeks later...

wait for itwub.png she's DIFFERENT intheclub.gif

or maybe HE is Different.intheclub.gif

It's not a Thai tradition, but it might be a village tradition.

Thailand is made up of many small tribes, all with their own costumes, traditions and languages.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Surely, at the end of the day, its what works and is acceptable to both parties that matters, after all this is supposed to be a "partnership".

Accepting and understanding of traditions and cultures is all part of the mix. What works for one, need not necessarily work for another.

Talk to your partner, discuss it, arrive at a mutually acceptable answer, (but dont be taken for an idiot either as the realisation/resentment will eventually destroy you!)