Local solicitor to draw up a will

Nick ZepTepi

You need help in the UK AND in Thailand. Both are generally necessary. Check out Thai Law for Foreigners. Locally, I guess that Khun Sumalee is ok, but there are others. You can start with consular lists and go from there. Not all are the good; they simply are on a list devloped because the consulates are tired of answering this question. ThaiVisa is NOT the place for comprehensive advice. No, I do not recommend lawyers. From time to time I have posted over the years about characters who purport rather outrageously to be licensed and competent. There was, in the past, ridiculous connections with the Chiang Mai Expats Club, but that seems now to be ancient history.

Just to add a thought, it seems that 99% of those who ask such a question here just don't want to pay the price for more established large firms. They seem to want to go cheap for important stuff. Well, yoiu don't need to pawn the family jewels to get good legal advice, and, in any case, if you are talking sbout key matters, such as wills, best to get good advice, which might not be chesp.

.......................... Locally, I guess that Khun Sumalee is ok, but there are others. You can start with consular lists and go from there.

Then why not start with Khun Sumalee?

Just to add a thought, it seems that 99% of those who ask such a question here just don't want to pay the price for more established large firms. They seem to want to go cheap for important stuff. Well, yoiu don't need to pawn the family jewels to get good legal advice, and, in any case, if you are talking sbout key matters, such as wills, best to get good advice, which might not be chesp.

Who said anything about chesp? Or even cheap? Mapguy, you really should return to your home country for remedial reading classes.

All assests are in the UK.

I would like to ensure my Thai girlfriend gets some of my assests but the rest going to UK based family.

As I'm moving out here in a week or so I don't really have time to get the ball rolling before I go.

I'll alos look into organising it via email and skype with a UK based law firm once I settle in.

I'm not part of the 99% but thanks for your generalisation, it's about as useful as a fish with a bike.

My understanding (I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong) you will need a will in the UK for assets there and one for assets in Thailand.

I also need my wife to make a will in December so I'm interested in hearing any sound advice, good or bad.

My will in the UK was done without any issues with my UK lawyer.

Temporarily I'm going to use a template document and fill in the relevant blanks, mainly to stop my assets defaulting to the UK government, until I can get a proper one done.

It sounds like I will need to use a UK lawyer and detail what items or a percentage to go to my Thai gf.

Thanks all

Sent from my Be Touch 2 using Tapatalk

Temporarily I'm going to use a template document and fill in the relevant blanks, mainly to stop my assets defaulting to the UK government, until I can get a proper one done.

It sounds like I will need to use a UK lawyer and detail what items or a percentage to go to my Thai gf.

Thanks all

What makes you think your assets would default to the UK government?

There are rules of intestacy that cover the distribution of assets if you die without making a Will.

http://www.hughjames.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Intestacy-Rules-October-2014.pdf

The general consensus is an English Will for UK assets and Thai Will if you have bank accounts/cars/condos in Thailand.

Do the Wills here and you should pay up to 2,500 Baht each.

For the UK Will at least be aware of Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 as far as it may affect your GF.

My understanding (I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong) you will need a will in the UK for assets there and one for assets in Thailand.

I also need my wife to make a will in December so I'm interested in hearing any sound advice, good or bad.

Not to mention most UK wills start by revoking all other wills, something you don't want if you have a will in Thailand and a will in the UK.

BUT,

As OP only has UK assets, he only needs a UK will.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

On the same theme .I made my will last week at the local Amphur for B240 .It was just concerning the house i own ( wife owns i have a 30 year lease /Usufruct ) along with my Thai wife .We want to make sure our daughter gets it if both of us die .

Edited by anto

On the same theme .I made my will last week at the local Amphur for B240 .It was just concerning the house i own ( wife owns i have a 30 year lease /Usufruct ) along with my Thai wife .We want to make sure our daughter gets it if both of us die .

Seems very cheap, not that I know how much one costs.

Seems very cheap, not that I know how much one costs.

Yes ,it suprised me .I did not even know that you could do such a thing at the amphur.

Wow, another, "How do I make a will" thread.

As I posted in the other thread on the same subject, do some research and then do it all yourself. A will is not writing launch codes for national defense systems; it's very easy and very straightforward.

If your assets abroad are in a complicated state of affairs, you may want to travel back there and have things sorted yourself while you are in good condition to do so.

Thanks, I'll get in touch

Different countries have different laws. You need separate wills for the UK and Thailand and you can`t leave anything in a Thai will that you cannot legally own.

Making a UK will is relatively easy. It is possible to download a UK will online, make the will and send it to someone you choose as your executor in the UK.

Wow, another, "How do I make a will" thread.

As I posted in the other thread on the same subject, do some research and then do it all yourself. A will is not writing launch codes for national defense systems; it's very easy and very straightforward.

If your assets abroad are in a complicated state of affairs, you may want to travel back there and have things sorted yourself while you are in good condition to do so.

Good, Trujillo. Could you post a link to THAT thread? I, for one, seem to have difficulty using the Search function - might just be my browser. Others may also be interested in your comments.

Cheers thumbsup.gif

i don't think a Thai lawyer would be able to sort this if your assets are UK based. Mine are all offshore and they couldn't sort me out with any certainty. Be interested to hear how you get on.

indeed OP you need to sort your affairs in the U.K. NOT Thailand!

It is good that you have a full understanding of written Thai to enable the Thai Will at the amphur to be produced.

Those with lesser abilities may need help in understanding what they are signing.

It is good that you have a full understanding of written Thai to enable the Thai Will at the amphur to be produced.

Those with lesser abilities may need help in understanding what they are signing.

I know very little Thai ,but i trust my wife and the Amphur .

I know little to nothing of thai in word or script ,but i trust my Thai wife and the Amphur .I am probably an anamoly on Thai visa .I would trust my Thai wife and Daughter with my life ,never mind my 70k Euro house .

Not to mention most UK wills start by revoking all other wills, something you don't want if you have a will in Thailand and a will in the UK.

BUT,

As OP only has UK assets, he only needs a UK will.

Most wills here start by explaining that this will covers only assets located in Thailand and that a separate will exists covering assets in country X. The will will then go on to revoke all previous wills in that context.

I know little to nothing of thai in word or script ,but i trust my Thai wife and the Amphur .I am probably an anamoly on Thai visa .I would trust my Thai wife and Daughter with my life ,never mind my 70k Euro house .

Obviously your wife owns the house anyway and the usufruct dies with you

Edited by Jip99

Khun Sumalee Jennapa is indeed a very good recommendation,

She has been doing wills for years and would know The laws relating to UK assets.

She is most knowledgable and is a very pleasant understanding person.

Go to her you will be glad you did.

I suspect your wife owns the house anyway.

Suspect ?..i am sure you know the laws about house ownership in Thailand .I have a 30 year lease which is written on the Chanote .If she wants to throw me out aged 87 ,well and good .

I recommend Sumalee Jennapa. She charming, qualified and will charge you five thousand baht for your will. Her website is www.29tanin.com.

Sent email and made follow up phone call -after 30 hours stiil waiting for reply!!

She's incredibly busy so you may have to wait a while, best thing to do is try calling her again or simply go there and see her.