Red Claw Crayfish - revival

user343434

Hi all,

There are a lot of posts about the red claw crayfish, all about 3-6 years ago and with a lot of up and down talking but no concrete answers.

Because I am building on a 3000 sqm Pond with a 100m creek for circulation it might be from interest, not to go for fishes but Aussie red claws instead.

They seen to grow fast up to 1 Kg, the Aussie Cray even is not so picky concerning the water...

My question is:

-has already anybody succeed to grow them mud bugs?

-And if, is it also possible to grow them in a big pond instead of concrete/plastic tanks?

-where to buy them? Not the aquarium type but the ones for the BBQ?

-any Thai government related troubles could come up and/or permits needed? (I think of BBQ not professional farming, I make my income outside Thailands in the Offshore and sure no cray fish business can reach that income)

Cheers

Will

Hi See Will.

I have a thread running on this forum " breeding crayfish". Have a read and hopefully you will gain some info on red claws. I have only kept them in concrete raceway tanks. I have had very good results. I have a lot of information on breeding them in ponds.

Regards

Crayfish

• 1 month later...

Hi see will,

i have plenty but wont be home until after xmas. Pm me and i will give you phone number, alternatively i have found hundreds of thais on facebook that have them. I bought 500 for 6000baht(i think,it was 3 years ago) from a guy on facebook and he couriered them via ems from kanchataburi to kalasin. Lost 50-100 in transit.theft has not been a problem, but your damn needs to be well fenced as they are escape artists.

With two permanent trouble searching Bang Kaew/German Sheperd mix and a wall that closes in the entire 6 rai I guess they are pretty much safe.

hi see will,

i dont know how long you have lived in thailand, but you ,ention your dogs as guard dogs,,

believe me if they want the crays, they will just poisen your dogs, and if you dont believe me ask your wife/g/f

we havnt had any problem with our farm,pigs,chickens,ducks geese ect and ive only got 2 jack russells and a soi dog,,lol

i too work off shore all over the world, and like i say we havnt had any trouble, you could be in a good area too

good luck

jake

3 years ago some bstrd killed 5 dogs in Pattaya and emptied the house of the owner.

I had all my life dogs and I am well aware about this issue.

The first I learned my dogs is not to take food from strangers. Thrown food will be left and ignored and if someone is brave enough sticking the hand through the fence, they will grap the wrist.

Lucky we had them as they were 6 weeks old, so that food posioning thing was easy to learn.

My and my wifes food tastes always good and all what others give burns like hell..

(Yes, Chillies are not good for dogs, but for the sake it could once rescue their lives and the fact they are still alive and top healthy... )

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good.. I have met an Aussie in Phe near Rayong who has them in Tanks beside a lot of escapers in his pond and even in the neighbor koi pond they are seen in heaps.. So it looks for me that these well spreading.

A fence seem not really to stop them neither do concrete walls. I will go for fake conctete rocks surrounding and to the pond side some kind of PVC wall worked into the rocks landscape. In the neigborhood are some quarries with giant snakeheads, and the PVC will stop them from coming in as well . The Striped Snakehead (Plaa Chon) is not a problem but the Giant Snakehead (Plaa Shado) is the one you wish not to find between your (by then half) Kois..

• 4 months later...

Just spent 2000.baht in Chisng Mai buying a variety of sizes to start a small scale concrete tank system as we speak.

Waiting for the concrete to cure and the chemicals to leach out so we can transfer our Red Claws in the next couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress. Tanks finished poisonous chemicals leached out by filling tank and filling it with sliced banana trunks and leaving it for a week . It work a treat and put in a couple of crays in first overnight to make sure all was good. Now full of about 30 happy crayfish.

post-126029-14631921163179_thumb.jpg

post-126029-14631921719329_thumb.jpg

post-126029-14631921865621_thumb.jpg

post-126029-14631922392125_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

look on Facebook... there is a bloke rearing crays and sending them all over the country by EMS. Red Claw Crayfish is the name.

He appears to do training as well.

he also is on youtube with the same name.

I am nearly there.

My reasearch was starting 3 years before I posted here, coffee1.gif

Spent 1365000baht in a test field of 210 sqm, that runs finally very sucessful, feeds an entire Village and some Bufflaos as well.

trained an entire farmer's family, (my Thai family) what my parents and relatives in Europe do since generations

refined the ups and downs in europe and sorted heat problems, seasonal issues and plant deseases and so on in Thailand

now we are almost at the top of the hill..

thanks for the infos and especially the 2 readers from Australia that helped my through the red claw issues... clap2.gif

When the time is given I'll post another thread and show what's all about.

What our entire family did and and will do with 20 rai of not fertile land and a ground water level of 50 cm under the sand.

Our Aquaponics farm is due to grow out of this test farm and all experiences collected have been part of it.

Cheers all wai.gif

Crayfish have been talked about for some time and there are quite a few people involved raising them. Here are a couple of questions

Is anyone selling mature crays for consumption (as opposed to breeding)? Or does anyone know of any market that sells them on a continuous basis and what the prices are? My stepson has been involved for a year and still has a long way to be in full production. The prices I "hear" are very high, but I can't find anyone actually selling them on a regular basis other than as breeders. We have a small pond (15 m x 25 m) that has been drained and cleaned and the plan is to drop about 500 small ones in there as a test. Just looking for more information an the market, before he gets anymore involved.

Thanks

I am also at the beginning of my studies how to make Crays a running and failure free system with a reliable Production.

We are planning to build up a big vertical Aquaponic Farm of 20000sqm and the Crayfish production will be covering about 1/3 of the Lifestock.

In 3 years I might get you a better answer ;-)

Will

• 3 months later...

We have just started up on crayfish ( well my wife has) we have  a great tank for them, at my home in Si Racha, we have about 250+ different in size's. It is a 1 year trail for us ( then we will move them to our farm in Kalasin)

My aim is to export into China to a few interested parties in 2018 but first I have to see how many hoops I need to jump through and then look to see is it worth it.

On 6/13/2016 at 4:42 PM, Jotham79 said:

Crayfish have been talked about for some time and there are quite a few people involved raising them. Here are a couple of questions

Is anyone selling mature crays for consumption (as opposed to breeding)? Or does anyone know of any market that sells them on a continuous basis and what the prices are? My stepson has been involved for a year and still has a long way to be in full production. The prices I "hear" are very high, but I can't find anyone actually selling them on a regular basis other than as breeders. We have a small pond (15 m x 25 m) that has been drained and cleaned and the plan is to drop about 500 small ones in there as a test. Just looking for more information an the market, before he gets anymore involved.

Thanks

This young guy holds course for 800 baht / session https://www.facebook.com/RedClawCrayfishThailand

He has been selling them to restaurants around bangkok, based on his youtube video - Bourbon St. and Mandarin Oriental are his customers

I've seen other sellers on some thai sites, so locals are already farming and selling it on the market. I'm not sure about the prices.

20 hours ago, peterb0576 said:

We have just started up on crayfish ( well my wife has) we have  a great tank for them, at my home in Si Racha, we have about 250+ different in size's. It is a 1 year trail for us ( then we will move them to our farm in Kalasin)

My aim is to export into China to a few interested parties in 2018 but first I have to see how many hoops I need to jump through and then look to see is it worth it.

There are many large crayfish farmers in China, but crayfish trend has hit again around 2 years ago too. Wondering how viable is it to ship crayfish to China from Thailand?

I have signed a new contract for some windfarm projects till 2020. Actually i planned my start with Aquaponics but the day rate and bonusses the customer offered me finally to step over, didn't leave me any choice as to extend my offshore business for another 3 years.

So I'll just have some crays in my pond and see how they developing.

before I have seen this steep demand raising for crayfish but if they are too tricky for Aquaponics, the European Union just did us (outside the EU sure not the european  fishermen) a huge favour again and cut down the quotations in the north sea fisheries to 56% for Cod.

Hence, a cheap fish like Tilapia (evtl. more robust to grow than crayfish) must burst the international market price soon as well.. 

Lets look an see...

Archived