Special wardens chosen to ensure lese majeste suspects' well-being

webfact

THE NATION

30271487-01_big.JPG?1445634856422
Some of the vehicles confiscated from the condominium units of celebrity fortune-teller Suriyan Sujaritpolwong and Police Major Prakrom Warunprapa, who have been charged with lese majeste.

POLICE CONFISCATE ASSETS, CHECKING TO SEE IF THEY CAN BE LINKED TO CASE

BANGKOK: -- A GROUP of special wardens, made up of military officers and guards from the Corrections Department, has been appointed to take care of three suspects detained over in a high-profile lese majeste case.

The wardens' key responsibility is to ensure the three men's well-being during detention, a source linked to the case has revealed.

The suspects are well-known fortune teller Suriyan Sujaritpolwong, 53, his secretary Jirawong Wattanathewasilp, 39, and Police Major Prakrom Warunprapa, 44, an inspector from the Technology Crime Suppression Division.

They are being held at a temporary detention facility at the 11th Military Circle on Bangkok's Nakhon Chaisri Road.

Meanwhile, a security guard at Suriyan's luxury condominium has claimed that police and officials began confiscating the fortune-teller's assets last week.

On the morning of October 15, many police and military officers arrived at Paholyothin Park Condominium in Chatuchak district and seized several of Suriyan's assets, including a sports utility vehicle, Buddha statues and other items, the guard said yesterday.

The guard, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the officers came in more than 20 vehicles.

"I was shocked to hear that 'Mor Yong' was arrested for lese majeste," the guard said, referring to the fortune-teller by his better known pseudonym.

The three suspects are charged with wrongly citing the monarchy to make personal gains, in violation of Article 112 of the Penal Code. Police said the three have confessed to the charge.

On Thursday, police searched Prakrom's unit at the luxury La Maison condominium, and later confiscated several items, including a Mercedes Benz sedan, a Volkswagen van and several motorcycles.

Police are examining the confiscated assets, which includes cash, cars, amulets, firearms, gold and watches, to see where they came from and if they may have anything to do with the suspects' wrongdoing, a source familiar with the case said.

The seized assets are being kept under tight security at the 11th Infantry Regiment, the source added.

On Wednesday, the Military Court approved a police request to detain the three for a longer period, as investigators are still working on the case.

Separately, 13 police have been transferred to inactive posts, as inquiries are underway to determine whether they are also involved in the lese majeste case.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Special-wardens-chosen-to-ensure-lese-majeste-susp-30271487.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-24

It is hard to believe that in 21st Century Thailand...that a scam of this magnitude could still be allowed...and worse enforced.

Let's all just agree that words...used disparagingly or not...are just that...mere words...consider the source...it does not mean that much to anyone with an IQ over 90...get over it already...get on with the important things of life...go out and arrest some real criminals in S. Thailand who are doing real damage to people and property...

You should be ashamed of yourself for using the lese majeste law to harass the public...IMHO...wai2.gif

Edited by ggt

There's more to this than what is being revealed IMO......obviously some serious stuff going down.....or the fortune teller gave some really bad news to someone high up!

It is supposedly something of the same magnitude as Pongpat's crimes & if so much more to be revealed.

Money laundering, power struggles, fights to control sectors of the lucrative black economy. Whatever is going on, it sure isn't what the official version is and the press and the world in general is not going to be told.

THE NATION

30271487-01_big.JPG?1445634856422

Some of the vehicles confiscated from the condominium units of celebrity fortune-teller Suriyan Sujaritpolwong and Police Major Prakrom Warunprapa, who have been charged with lese majeste.

POLICE CONFISCATE ASSETS, CHECKING TO SEE IF THEY CAN BE LINKED TO CASE

BANGKOK: -- A GROUP of special wardens, made up of military officers and guards from the Corrections Department, has been appointed to take care of three suspects detained over in a high-profile lese majeste case.

The wardens' key responsibility is to ensure the three men's well-being during detention, a source linked to the case has revealed.

The suspects are well-known fortune teller Suriyan Sujaritpolwong, 53, his secretary Jirawong Wattanathewasilp, 39, and Police Major Prakrom Warunprapa, 44, an inspector from the Technology Crime Suppression Division.

They are being held at a temporary detention facility at the 11th Military Circle on Bangkok's Nakhon Chaisri Road.

Meanwhile, a security guard at Suriyan's luxury condominium has claimed that police and officials began confiscating the fortune-teller's assets last week.

On the morning of October 15, many police and military officers arrived at Paholyothin Park Condominium in Chatuchak district and seized several of Suriyan's assets, including a sports utility vehicle, Buddha statues and other items, the guard said yesterday.

The guard, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the officers came in more than 20 vehicles.

"I was shocked to hear that 'Mor Yong' was arrested for lese majeste," the guard said, referring to the fortune-teller by his better known pseudonym.

The three suspects are charged with wrongly citing the monarchy to make personal gains, in violation of Article 112 of the Penal Code. Police said the three have confessed to the charge.

On Thursday, police searched Prakrom's unit at the luxury La Maison condominium, and later confiscated several items, including a Mercedes Benz sedan, a Volkswagen van and several motorcycles.

Police are examining the confiscated assets, which includes cash, cars, amulets, firearms, gold and watches, to see where they came from and if they may have anything to do with the suspects' wrongdoing, a source familiar with the case said.

The seized assets are being kept under tight security at the 11th Infantry Regiment, the source added.

On Wednesday, the Military Court approved a police request to detain the three for a longer period, as investigators are still working on the case.

Separately, 13 police have been transferred to inactive posts, as inquiries are underway to determine whether they are also involved in the lese majeste case.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Special-wardens-chosen-to-ensure-lese-majeste-susp-30271487.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-10-24

yes I'm sure they are closely examining the cash.... Such that it will be further closely examined in their personal bank accounts.

We are getting a glimpse of these tomatoes which we would never have seen without the coup.

Clearly they expect the tomatoes due to be picked next to try and get rid of the first crop. We've seen many suspicious deaths while in custody - which never seem to get investigated.

What's sad for the country is how so many people support things the way they were.

Explain to me how one profits from defaming the rulers and as a result was enriched by the assets seized. I say one thing bad about Obama and I don't get a Benz or gold, it makes no sense. However, the 20 Thai cops that descended on his home will surely find a connection that leads to said asset being pocketed.

Ever seen an auction in Thailand for seized goods?

Explain to me how one profits from defaming the rulers and as a result was enriched by the assets seized. I say one thing bad about Obama and I don't get a Benz or gold, it makes no sense. However, the 20 Thai cops that descended on his home will surely find a connection that leads to said asset being pocketed.

Take your pick.......

https://www.google.co.th/?gws_rd=ssl#q=thai++customs+auctions+seized+assets

The arrested police officer "hanged himself" whilst in custody.

Reports from outside of Thailand state these three are all within the royalist / junta power clique with the now dead Police Major Prakrom Warunprapa having played a key role in the current administration on previous very well-publicised lese-majeste cases.

This has all the hallmarks of an internecine power struggle.

So, expect nothing in the way of real information in the mainstream press.

Edited by Briggsy

We are getting a glimpse of these tomatoes which we would never have seen without the coup.

Clearly they expect the tomatoes due to be picked next to try and get rid of the first crop. We've seen many suspicious deaths while in custody - which never seem to get investigated.

What's sad for the country is how so many people support things the way they were.

To be honest John, I don't think people want it to go back to what it was before. People are well aware how corrupt previous Governments were, in fact how nearly all Thai Governments have ever been.

I cannot speak for others but the reason i don't particularly like the current state of affairs, is that i find it extremely hypocritical. The army which is in power now have been a major political player in Thai politics since day zero, and have never done anything to fight corruption, change the system to make it more equitable, so at the very least are very complicit in the sad state of affairs we have now.

Time will tell whether this time is different, but personally i don't suspect it is. For every corrupt politician, there are corrupt military officials. Yes the political system is based on many things, such as cronyism, nepotism, corruption, but so is the military. I find it difficult to comprehend why they would want to change a system which has benefited them for so long.

One of the over riding factors of corruption in Thailand are the civil servant bodies, call them what you will. Yes the political leaders change but the majority of those in the civil service don't, regardless of who is in power.

I suppose time will tell whether this time is different.

To be honest John, I don't think people want it to go back to what it was before. People are well aware how corrupt previous Governments were, in fact how nearly all Thai Governments have ever been.

I cannot speak for others but the reason i don't particularly like the current state of affairs, is that i find it extremely hypocritical. The army which is in power now have been a major political player in Thai politics since day zero, and have never done anything to fight corruption, change the system to make it more equitable, so at the very least are very complicit in the sad state of affairs we have now.

Time will tell whether this time is different, but personally i don't suspect it is. For every corrupt politician, there are corrupt military officials. Yes the political system is based on many things, such as cronyism, nepotism, corruption, but so is the military. I find it difficult to comprehend why they would want to change a system which has benefited them for so long.

One of the over riding factors of corruption in Thailand are the civil servant bodies, call them what you will. Yes the political leaders change but the majority of those in the civil service don't, regardless of who is in power.

I agree with what you say - except I think the one person who does hold the interests of the country above his own is Prayuth.

But he is up against just about everybody else - and he has his own set of weaknesses which don't help.

It all hangs on his leadership right now. If anything happens to him, I dread to think what might happen to the country.

Another reason for them to get reforms into law and get out. Everything is dangling on a thread at the moment.

I agree with what you say - except I think the one person who does hold the interests of the country above his own is Prayuth.

But he is up against just about everybody else - and he has his own set of weaknesses which don't help.

It all hangs on his leadership right now. If anything happens to him, I dread to think what might happen to the country.

Another reason for them to get reforms into law and get out. Everything is dangling on a thread at the moment.

We will see about Prayuth, but i would imagine it is very difficult to become chief of the army, PM the way he did whilst being squeaky clean. The way the armed forces, police, everything is set up means that the only way you can get forward is being part of the system with all that entails.

Personally i think he may want to make some changes, but unfortunately behind him and the real power players pulling the strings he is just being used as a front man.

I also think that he is starting to realise now that making any changes is a lot harder than it seems even with all the tools at his disposal. The upper strata of Thai society are so closely knitted together through family, marriage, business etc that it would be difficult for him to do anything without stepping on the toes of some of those alliances.

Reports from outside of Thailand state these three are all within the royalist / junta power clique with the now dead Police Major Prakrom Warunprapa having played a key role in the current administration on previous very well-publicised lese-majeste cases.

Here a link to Prachatai about this story. The social media call this very murky and suspicious. The first report said he hanged himself from the bars on his window but the newsbulletin from the jail says he was in a windowless room.

There is also a story that Mo Yong, the soothsayer, was first 6 days in military custody before he was arrested 2 days ago. Something is very rotten in the state of Thailand.

http://www.prachatai.com/english/

Here a link to Prachatai about this story. The social media call this very murky and suspicious. The first report said he hanged himself from the bars on his window but the newsbulletin from the jail says he was in a windowless room.

There is also a story that Mo Yong, the soothsayer, was first 6 days in military custody before he was arrested 2 days ago. Something is very rotten in the state of Thailand.

The wardens appointed to look after the welfare of LM cases in custody seem to have scope for improvement given the Police Major "hung himself" within 24 hours of arrest.It's only a year since a LM accused prisoner "fell" to his death from a window.

Draw your own conclusions.

The wardens appointed to look after the welfare of LM cases in custody seem to have scope for improvement given the Police Major "hung himself" within 24 hours of arrest.It's only a year since a LM accused prisoner "fell" to his death from a window.

And even more coincidental, the deceased Police Major worked on the lese-majeste case (Pongpat group) in which last year's death in custody occurred.

Expect nothing but fluff and nonsense from the authorities.

The LM accused prisoner who 'fell' to his death a year ago was cremated the very same day he died. This was the time all the family (parents, uncle, brother-in-law, brothers and sisters) of ex princess Srirasmi was accused of LM, corruption and unusual wealth, very similar to this case. The man who 'fell' to his death was a business partner or secretary to this family.

Read Section 112 of the Thailand Criminal code

Edited by geriatrickid

Section 112. Insulting or Defaming Royal Family

Whoever, defames, insults or threatens the King, the Queen, the Heir-apparent or the Regent, shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years.

"special wardens" ? When will the dimwitted coup supporters realize that sooner or later every person will become looked upon with suspicion and seen as a security threat requiring "Special wardens" to observe them 24hours a day. And then everything you owned will be taken by the state.

Thailand is becoming more and more like North Korea.

Edited by Time Traveller

Section 112. Insulting or Defaming Royal Family

Whoever, defames, insults or threatens the King, the Queen, the Heir-apparent or the Regent, shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years.

Ok, so under what law can they seize assets of those convicted of violating this law? (Clue: there isn't any)

This law has nothing to with protecting the monarchy and everything to do will destroying political enemies - physically and financially.