I want facts and experience, not opinions. Thanks.

But... ...................but...but...but...Their own press release said the METV was in addition to the alredy existing 60 days TR visa.

Not in replacement of...

Surely they can''t be lying ?

Can't they?

But then again ...

Yes in addtition. As you know the single entry will remain. Double and triple - gone.

• Like 1

...if one is fronting flights/accom etc back in farangistan twice a year, USD 15k, for the TE seems a bit more attractive doesnt it ?

That is a bit rich for a couple of flights and a holiday

Over a 5 year period ? wink.png You can do the cost analysis, its not hard to figure out

Flights - (off hand cheapests flights to say the UK over a 5 year period will be over US 6k)

Transport

Visa costs

Accommadation costs in farangistan

Food etc etc

All that twice a year and multiply by 5

And of course one would have to factor in time off work if one is working illegally, lets say 4 days minimum wink.png And of course every time you apply you run the risk of rejection, if you cant satisfy the job details, cash in the bank etc

Rounding the figs - but please correct me if I missed something. As an American, not working illegally here, and meeting the financials required in Oslo, I get:

METV-mixed Method:

• Flights every 9 mo to Hawaii + 1 night lodging + visa + 1 extension = $800 * 5 = $4000 = ~140,000 Baht.
  • One run to Laos for a single-entry per year with one extension at imm-offc = $150 * 5 = $750 = ~26,500 Baht.
  • Bus-runs to Cambodia every 60 days during METV scope = 250 Baht * 3 * 5 = 4,000 Baht.

Total: 170,500 Baht paid incrementally, over 5 years.

And for those not meeting the financials or whatever happens ...

Single-Entry Only Method:

Single Entries at Cambodia, Vietnam, Penang, Laos, Laos (blue-stamp on last one). 15 Months per Cycle (possibly 18 mo if split the laos between others, but assuming 15 mo here). Cycle Subtotals:

• 5 Visas and border runs = $500 = 17,500 Baht
  • 5 extensions at 1900 Baht each = 9,500 Baht
  • New passport (~$125) = ~4,500 Baht
  • Each 15 Mo. Cycle Total = 31,500 baht (25,200 / yr)

Total: 126,000 Baht, paid incrementally, over 5 years

Elite Visa = 500,000 all up front. Approx ~375,000 Baht more per 5 years.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

I have a double entry TV. Obtained in Laos one month ago. Friend went same consulate in Laos two weeks ago and was issued single entry despite applying for double entry.

Next door neighbour was declined any TV as could not show exit flight and all requirements . spoke with other applicants and even if they met all criteria listed were issued single entry TV. One person was refused in their visa run group any TV despite having exit flight as he had several TVs back to back and this was deemed enough to decline. The neighbour with similar but with a month here and there break to othercountries had no issue.

So basically don't expect to get double entry TV and if applying fr single TV make sure you meet all he criteria and expect possible refusal if you have several (more than 1 or 2) back to back TVs without rbreaks of time in other countries.

This only refers t direct experience in Laos Malaysia kl and Penang and Singapore.

whistling.gif The new METV may mean big changes in tourist visas.

There are a lot or rumors right now, but no general rules for that METV are issued yet.

Therefore, no one can really say what the changes in tourist visas may be yet

The new METV is supposed to be issued on 13 November 2015.

Before that, probably in the first week of November a meeting of the high-ups in immigration is supposed to happen

that will clarify what and how the new METV will be.

And also that may clarify any changes in tourist visa policy.

Until then nobody can really say what any new rules will be.

No need to wait that long. As explained before, 8 Thai consulates have already published the new rules, and these are all the same or very similar. So, we kind of know already.

By the way, there will be no "immigration high-ups meeting". Thai embassy and consulate are under the Minister of foreign Affairs (executive power).

Hi Paz

I am now making a trip early to Vientiane a few weeks early to apply for the double tourist since it is very likely that after this date this option will get closed down.

Just a quick check on what you are saying here - From the 8 consulates that you have identified, does this include Vientiane i.e have they already changed their policy and are currently refusing to provide the double tourist visas or are you saying that the there is no reports of Vientiane turning down double tourist applications and the last date for a safe application is 12th Nov 2015?

I have a double entry TV. Obtained in Laos one month ago. Friend went same consulate in Laos two weeks ago and was issued single entry despite applying for double entry.

Next door neighbour was declined any TV as could not show exit flight and all requirements . spoke with other applicants and even if they met all criteria listed were issued single entry TV. One person was refused in their visa run group any TV despite having exit flight as he had several TVs back to back and this was deemed enough to decline. The neighbour with similar but with a month here and there break to othercountries had no issue.

So basically don't expect to get double entry TV and if applying fr single TV make sure you meet all he criteria and expect possible refusal if you have several (more than 1 or 2) back to back TVs without rbreaks of time in other countries.

This only refers t direct experience in Laos Malaysia kl and Penang and Singapore.

LilyBlue - Are you saying that this is a single instance (one person effected, but others applying on the day did get the double) for your friends experience that you cite for Lao - or are you saying that there is now a change of policy and that there is already now no double tourist visas being issued from Lao (Vientiane)?

Had a friend of mine today come back from Laos. She applied for a double and only got a single and had to stay an extra day to apply once again just to get the single. No back to back visas from Laos as she had been country hoping for visas. She is a 'teacher' that has worked out of here now for over 3 years without a work permit up-country. She told me she is moving to greener pastures (Laos) after this visa cycle.

She told me another guy in her group was denied a double and he also was given a single.

My friend told me something interesting. She was talking to someone high up at a University down at Bangkok and he told her that her days of teaching, if she could not get the right Visa were coming to a end. He told her that Thailand was trying to brush up it reputation as a leading Tourist Destination and that things were going to change shortly and this was just a part of the whole picture. So, if they are trying to clean up their act within Tourism, it looks like this Visa change and crack down is a change of culture now and it will not be like other times and just die down and then back to sabi sabi for all.

Not much longer till the 13th of November. I have 8 more weeks on my visa an time for a decision.

• Like 1

Had a friend of mine today come back from Laos. She applied for a double and only got a single and had to stay an extra day to apply once again just to get the single. No back to back visas from Laos as she had been country hoping for visas. She is a 'teacher' that has worked out of here now for over 3 years without a work permit up-country. She told me she is moving to greener pastures (Laos) after this visa cycle.

She told me another guy in her group was denied a double and he also was given a single.

My friend told me something interesting. She was talking to someone high up at a University down at Bangkok and he told her that her days of teaching, if she could not get the right Visa were coming to a end. He told her that Thailand was trying to brush up it reputation as a leading Tourist Destination and that things were going to change shortly and this was just a part of the whole picture. So, if they are trying to clean up their act within Tourism, it looks like this Visa change and crack down is a change of culture now and it will not be like other times and just die down and then back to sabi sabi for all.

Not much longer till the 13th of November. I have 8 more weeks on my visa an time for a decision.

Your friend wanted a double entry visa to facilitate more illegal work.

What was written as the reason for wanting the visa ? Was an honest disclosure made? .

Seems your friend has very little to complain about.

Your friend wanted a double entry Tourist visa to facilitate more illegal work?

What was written as the reason for wanting the visa ? Was an honest disclosure made? .

Edited by oncearugge

Your friend wanted a double entry visa to facilitate more illegal work.

Your friend wanted a double entry Tourist visa to facilitate more illegal work?

No different from the hundreds of others applying and getting away with it. What about the freelance writers selling bull### eBooks on-line on how to get rich eMarketing... would you also like to see how many Filipinos applying as well but doing a 'lot' worse as in a job (your imagination does not have to be huge for that one). On my last trip I met a few Filipino Karaoke Girls doing Tourst Visas.....

Had a friend of mine today come back from Laos. ... had been country hoping for visas. ... She is a 'teacher' that has worked out of here now for over 3 years without a work permit up-country.

Your friend wanted a double entry visa to facilitate more illegal work. What was written as the reason for wanting the visa ? Was an honest disclosure made? . Seems your friend has very little to complain about.

No different from the hundreds of others applying and getting away with it. What about the freelance writers selling bull### eBooks on-line on how to get rich eMarketing... would you also like to see how many Filipinos applying as well but doing a 'lot' worse as in a job (your imagination does not have to be huge for that one). On my last trip I met a few Filipino Karaoke Girls doing Tourst Visas.....

So-called "online workers" are not taking Thai jobs, or selling products or services to Thais. When 'caught' by immigration, they have been (so far) ignored. This makes sense, as they are adding foreign-reserves to the Thai economy.

OTOH, Karaoke entertainers and teachers are taking jobs from Thais, and deserve to get busted. The one who pays them, without getting them a proper visa, should be their cell-mate and charged with being a traitor, in addition to the illegal-hiring charge. How many others "get away with" taking opportunities away from Thais is irrelevant.

Some will say there "aren't enough English teachers." Well, at the current pay-scale there aren't - but let the market take care of that. Scarcity drives up salaries, and new qualified foreign and/or local teachers will fill the gap.

Creating and protecting middle-class careers, by controlling immigration, is not a bad thing. It is, in fact the "job" of government to ensure the opposite does not occur.

Had a friend of mine today come back from Laos. ... had been country hoping for visas. ... She is a 'teacher' that has worked out of here now for over 3 years without a work permit up-country.

Your friend wanted a double entry visa to facilitate more illegal work. What was written as the reason for wanting the visa ? Was an honest disclosure made? . Seems your friend has very little to complain about.

So-called "online workers" are not taking Thai jobs, or selling products or services to Thais. When 'caught' by immigration, they have been (so far) ignored. This makes sense, as they are adding foreign-reserves to the Thai economy.

OTOH, Karaoke entertainers and teachers are taking jobs from Thais, and deserve to get busted. The one who pays them, without getting them a proper visa, should be their cell-mate and charged with being a traitor, in addition to the illegal-hiring charge. How many others "get away with" taking opportunities away from Thais is irrelevant.

Some will say there "aren't enough English teachers." Well, at the current pay-scale there aren't - but let the market take care of that. Scarcity drives up salaries, and new qualified foreign and/or local teachers will fill the gap.

Creating and protecting middle-class careers, by controlling immigration, is not a bad thing. It is, in fact the "job" of government to ensure the opposite does not occur.

How do you know the on liners are not taking jobs from Thais or selling products and services in thailand or to Thai's or resident farangs?

You know every single one of them ?

Your post is rather hypocritical to say the least

As the OP stated facts please

Edited by Soutpeel

"

"I want facts and experience, not opinions. Thanks."

Why would anybody answer such an arrogant thread? What about: " I would like to?"

Do you think that people here ( excluding the Mods, perhaps) get paid to answer a question coming from such an arrogant person like you.

Seems that you won't get as many extensions as others who know how to behave.

• Like 1

Those posts that start with "My friend" are usually funny ones. She had to stay an extra night, wow !!!

Can you go to a European country, or any other more civilised countries" on a tourist visa and start working?

She's a teacher who "worked out here for over three years", never paid tax, but it's okay when I pay more next time, just because of people like your friend.

I hope that she's moving to greener pastures yesterday, because the country is already full of strange people.

She told me that another guy"....god, could you stop gossiping around, please?

Enough of your friend who's told by a friend that a friend's friend did something that wasn't good for a friend's friend. God, please forgive them because they don't know what they do.

And I'm atheist. Your username is right. You are indeed totally thaied up. More sabi sabi to you !!!

The 2015 Wurlitzer goes to "Totally Thaied Up. thumbsup.gif

Just say, I have known these guys for over 3 years. What should I call them. My current lover? One of my many concubines?

No, the 2015 Wurlitzer goes to you my friend as you cannot even format your writing properly.... do you teach by the way? ... lol

And WOW... you pay taxes HERE so you got to be important

Edited by totally thaied up

Cash is king and as people have pointed out money can gain you preferential treatment just about anywhere. If you can not afford the 300 Baht a day for a TE visa you don't have enough money to come here. I am under 50 and don't really want to shell out for it but the reality is that it is dirt cheap. You can not buy your way in to most countries for such a trivial amount. I have decided to leave again as I just simply do not want to pay it. I am not going to cheat my way through. My Japanese ED visa used to cost me $12,000 a year but I enjoyed living there and studying.

It does get annoying to have the over 50 crowd talk down to people that can not afford a TE. For these people there will eventually be a special place in hell when they up the requirements for a retirement visa. I suggest to adjust for inflation they should up the requirements to 3,000,000 in the bank or 150,000 a month for retirement visas. They should also levy a mandatory fee for insurance of at least 10,000 per month payable in advance. It should be around 30,000 Baht every time you do your 90 day report. Though they are right if you can't shell out 500,000 for a TE you have no business being here.

Anyways nobody can provide you with anything other than conjecture about how many back to back visas are allowed. They seem to be in crack down mode and any visa you get could be your last. Nobody knows the answer to this until they get kicked out.

• Like 1

Hi Paz

I am now making a trip early to Vientiane a few weeks early to apply for the double tourist since it is very likely that after this date this option will get closed down.

Just a quick check on what you are saying here - From the 8 consulates that you have identified, does this include Vientiane i.e have they already changed their policy and are currently refusing to provide the double tourist visas or are you saying that the there is no reports of Vientiane turning down double tourist applications and the last date for a safe application is 12th Nov 2015?

I think that you're going for the safe route and the double entry visa will be killed worldwide even if some consulates build their budget selling it. They can't contrast central power decisions.

• Like 1

Okay, you wants facts

8 years here. 5 years on Tourist Visas and 3 years on Educations Visas. Never refused entry and extend my visa every 60 days. I can speak Thai to a standard level.

Friend of mine here for 17 years. Three years on a marriage Visa and wife is killed in a motorcycle accident. Two years then on a Education Visa and the last 12 years on double entry Tourist Visas with a break every now and again in a friendly country. Never refused entry.

Another gay friend of mine here for 7 years on Tourist visas. Never refused entry.

Seems that the METV will mean going home in the future and fore-filling the requirements that will be posted at each Consulate. This is not in concrete yet but in all odds, it looks like it is heading this way.

Thank you.

Can I ask. What are you or your friends going to do now though. Seeing as for years you've used double entry and now it's basically going to be abolished ...

Assuming you won't be paying 1000 dollars for a trip home to apply for a new visa every 6 months ...?

Not much comfort but the METV should be good for 9 months. If you enter at the end of 6 months you'll get another 60 day stay which can be extended by 30 days.

^ Where are you getting this information, please?

Is it a FACT one can only get the new METV from home country ?

Okay, you wants facts

8 years here. 5 years on Tourist Visas and 3 years on Educations Visas. Never refused entry and extend my visa every 60 days. I can speak Thai to a standard level.

Friend of mine here for 17 years. Three years on a marriage Visa and wife is killed in a motorcycle accident. Two years then on a Education Visa and the last 12 years on double entry Tourist Visas with a break every now and again in a friendly country. Never refused entry.

Another gay friend of mine here for 7 years on Tourist visas. Never refused entry.

Seems that the METV will mean going home in the future and fore-filling the requirements that will be posted at each Consulate. This is not in concrete yet but in all odds, it looks like it is heading this way.

Thank you.

Can I ask. What are you or your friends going to do now though. Seeing as for years you've used double entry and now it's basically going to be abolished ...

Assuming you won't be paying 1000 dollars for a trip home to apply for a new visa every 6 months ...?

are you asking for an opinion or fact his time ? blink.png

Hi Paz

I think that you're going for the safe route and the double entry visa will be killed worldwide even if some consulates build their budget selling it. They can't contrast central power decisions.

or they could keep doubles but limit their numbers,like they do now and then refer you to METV

Had a friend of mine today come back from Laos....

Those posts that start with "My friend" are usually funny ones. She had to stay an extra night, wow !!! Can you go to a European country, or any other more civilised countries" on a tourist visa and start working?

Yes, in the USA you can do this, and in many areas, there will be no consequences whatsoever. This is how much of our middle-class was destroyed, in combination with so-called "free trade" with countries with no worker protections, zero envioronmental regulations, etc.

Notice how when you go in BigC or Tesco, so many things are "Made in Thailand"? The USA was like that when I was young - everything said "Made in USA" - but not anymore. I respect the Thais for their dilgence in protecting their interests and their people.

OTOH, I might be inclined to agree that the USA is no longer "civilized," given these recent changes there - it slides incrementally closer what one would call "3rd World" and "Totalitarian" every year.

-------

How do you know the on liners are not taking jobs from Thais or selling products and services in thailand or to Thai's or resident farangs?

You know every single one of them ?

Your post is rather hypocritical to say the least

As the OP stated facts please

If someone without a WP is selling goods or services in Thailand, this should be something that could be reported and acted on. I would fully support that action. I am quite consistent on this, because I was the victim of such behavior in my own country.

Thus far, in every case, embassys who have released info have stated the METV is only available to nationals of that country, or those with proof of residency in that state. Other requirements have varied from one to the other. Laos has been an exception to some rules in the past, as have some consulates (Bali). We are still waiting to see what will happen in those locations.

So far, one poster claimed that someone they knew in the Thai-Laos system, plus a visa run service, claimed foreigners would be able to get them there. That is all we have (and it ain't much).

Okay, you wants facts

Thank you.

Not much comfort but the METV should be good for 9 months. If you enter at the end of 6 months you'll get another 60 day stay which can be extended by 30 days.

^ Where are you getting this information, please?

MFA website

The visa is valid for 6 months and you are granted 60 days on entry. You can enter any day up to and including the last day of a visas validity. So if someone entered on the last day they would be granted 60 days Thats' a combined total of nearly 8 months. Tourist visa entries can be extended by 30 days which could be done towards the end of the 60 day stay giving a final total of nearly 9 months.

No. The MFA have not confirmed details yet. However, so far every embassy/consulate that has announced criteria for applying for the new METV will only issue it to nationals/permanent residents.

No. The MFA have not confirmed details yet. However, so far every embassy/consulate that has announced criteria for applying for the new METV will only issue it to nationals/permanent residents.

Most of the locations that have posted that info were already requiring people to be citizens or residents to apply for a visa or only did single entry tourist visas for non residents.

The Canberra embassy notice does not have that requirement mentioned but does say it is replacing the 2/3 entry tourist visas.

Just a short line about it on the DC embassy website that only says the same thing about 2/3 entry visas.

• Like 2

Most of the locations that have posted that info were already requiring people to be citizens or residents to apply for a visa or only did single entry tourist visas for non residents.

The Canberra embassy notice does not have that requirement mentioned but does say it is replacing the 2/3 entry tourist visas.

Just a short line about it on the DC embassy website that only says the same thing about 2/3 entry visas.

ubonjoe Quick heads up - Is Vientiane currently still issuing the double entry tourist visa? - Hence any change to this situation will be announced on 13th Nov 2015

To clarify I said "announced criteria"

Neither Canberra or DC have updated their websites with full application criteria.

To clarify I said "announced criteria"

Neither Canberra or DC have updated their websites with full application criteria.

My main point was that it is not correct to imply all counties will require you to be a resident or citizen.based upon what has been posted on the few that have done the full criteria.

• Like 1

ubonjoe Quick heads up - Is Vientiane currently still issuing the double entry tourist visa? - Hence any change to this situation will be announced on 13th Nov 2015

Vientiane is still doing 2 entry visas. That will not change until after the 13th. I have been checking their website but so far nothing about it.

IMHO I think they will be doing the METV for everybody that can now get 2 entry visas there.

• Like 1

Vientiane is still doing 2 entry visas. That will not change until after the 13th. I have been checking their website but so far nothing about it.

IMHO I think they will be doing the METV for everybody that can now get 2 entry visas there.

Hi ubonjoe

More than thanks for the answer - Straightforward and clear.

What surprised me in your answer is that you feel that they might actually be offering the METV after 13th Nov - I just assumed that it was pretty much certain and this would only be available from your home country - Only because of the landslide of conclusions shown on this forum.

Obviously no one actually knows, but if I was to listen to a best guess - Then it would be yours.

I had assumed up until now that the reasoning for implementing the METV was as a means to make it harder for long stay Tourist Visa users to use the double - But you think that this might actually not be their objective for introducing the METV?

The thought had crossed my mind that if they had specifically wanted to stop consulates like Vientiane issuing doubles they could have done this within the existing system.

Hence this might well simply just be a way of raising the price through using different packaging and offering 6 months for 5,000 THB and removing the exiting options for 60 days / 1,000 THB or two of these (in the double Visa) for 2,000. with a net result in increased revenues.

Is this the same as your reasoning for the repackaging? - or possibly is your own hunch based upon a much different perspective?

Vientiane will do METV, I saw it on the big billboard inside the Consulate.

I will take a picture of it Thursday.

Yikes - bigjohn72 - Please can you do that - That will be a really BIG help to me and many others on this forum. Huge post doing this - Thanks!

Also well done ubonjoe - It seems he got it right when most others really believed that this would not be made available apart from home countries.

Edited by spambot
  • Like 2