Marrying a Thai woman.

Samuel25241

If you marry a Thai woman over here in Thailand; legally, what are your obligations?

*as a British citizen*

I mean: money. If you marry a Thai woman here, what are your obligations in terms of money? If you were to divorce with her or things go sour, does she have rights to any finance abroad , in a uk bank, or assets you own in the U.K.?

As for Thailand I obviously know what would go down. But just wondering is she entitled to anything you own or have in your native country?

Also, how much does it cost to get married over here? I mean the legal side of things not religious ceremonies etc.

Thanks

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as the NUMBER 1 rule is if marying in thailand ONLY FORK OUT WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOOSE.

a will covering your assets in the uk.is a must.

but there again with most [LIKE ME] they tell their future wife all that they have got and hope for the best.

Get A strong Prenup like Donald Trump.Only bring an amount of money in Thailand that you can afford to lose.

UK CITIZENS: Prenuptial Agreements are not recognized by law in the United Kingdom. However, some weight "may" be given by the court; it will nevertheless take the content of the agreement into account when reaching its decision. It is strongly recommended for British and UK Citizens to draft a Thailand prenuptial agreement for prior to marriage to Thai fiancé.

http://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/thailand-prenuptial-agreement.php?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2KyxBRCi2rK11NCDw6UBEiQAO-tljTidTFsBT3keGhMuqpXmFqKBPUJEozR9LzWJIao8jqIaAgaT8P8HAQ

You could always have the wedding but not sign the paper. That happens a lot.

It depends whether you are thinking of using the marriage to get an extension of stay. If you are, then you do need the paper. If you don't, problem solved.

If it's your other half who insists on the paper, you need to run. Fast.

Only do a registration on marriage in Thailand, not in your country, she can only take half what you have in Thailand in a divorce,

if you do not have houses, etc. on your wife name, then you loos that

Every thing you have in your home country, she can not touch. if you do not register the marriage there ;-)

Hope this help.

Good luck

Edited by hellstens

An arm and a leg. Prepared to lose everything I have.... Based upon once divorcing they have access to my English bank accounts or bonds ? Pretty sure they wouldn't but just wanting to confirm.

As long as they have no access to the UK, you should be alright.

But that means you can't take them back to your home country, ever.

Australia is a bit more risky.

I've always found the best security is to never let a woman know you own anything, have any assets, property, savings.

If they don't know you have it, they can't ask a court for it.

Boasters risk everything.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I just flew over here last week and was quite shocked to see the fellow in front of me at the ticket counter brought three pieces of luggage of him and when asked what they contained, he enthusiastically responded, "Sand, I am bringing sand to the beaches of Thailand".

I thought surely I am actually witnessing the most foolish man in the world.

This thread suggests otherwise ;-)

Cheers

What a really sad topic. Don't get married if this is your main concern. If you really care for this new women, and you consider her a worthy life partner enough to get married,then you shouldn't give a dam about material things. Especially at this stage of the game,what ever happened to love?

Did you or would you think like this and ask a forum for advice on marrying a English woman,I don't think so. So why make marrying a Thai citizen like buying meat at the market.

Only do a registration on marriage in Thailand, not in your country, she can only take half what you have in Thailand in a divorce,

Every thing you have in your home country, she can not touch. if you do not register the marriage there ;-)

Hope this help.

Good luck

That's not true for the UK.

Hope this help.

Good luck

Incorrect. A legal marriage done in Thailand is fully recognised in the UK and there is no requirement to register it separately there.

Should your wife get access to UK to file for divorce there it will be adjudicated on under UK law which differs in Scotland from other regions of the UK.

When my wife lived in the UK she had it explained to her in great detail by a group of Thai ladies there who she was introduced to within a week of arriving on how to divorce me and get every penny she could - fortunately for me she was shocked by the thought and told me everything and didn't go near that group again.

An arm and a leg. Prepared to lose everything I have.... Based upon once divorcing they have access to my English bank accounts or bonds ? Pretty sure they wouldn't but just wanting to confirm.

As long as they have no access to the UK, you should be alright.

But that means you can't take them back to your home country, ever.

Australia is a bit more risky.

I've always found the best security is to never let a woman know you own anything, have any assets, property, savings.

If they don't know you have it, they can't ask a court for it.

Boasters risk everything.

The problem with access to the UK is that a wife does not need her husband's permission to get a visa. She applies in her own right. If she can convince the person issuing the visa, she will get it.

And that is not impossible.

What a really sad topic. Don't get married if this is your main concern. If you really care for this new women, and you consider her a worthy life partner enough to get married,then you shouldn't give a dam about material things. Especially at this stage of the game,what ever happened to love?

Did you or would you think like this and ask a forum for advice on marrying a English woman,I don't think so. So why make marrying a Thai citizen like buying meat at the market.

What happened to love? In my experience Western and Asian concepts of love differ significantly.

Ask 10 different Thai women what "love" is and carefully listen to their replies...

your obligations are your must be prepared to lose everything you have.

To be more specific an arm and a leg.

Or in extreme circumstances-DEATH! it does happen-watch out for the neighbor next door. Have 2000 baht and he will do anything and he means anything.

That is between you and her

But legally 0

If your a dummy and show her all you have in your country then your a dummy that deserved to be <deleted>

I married I give only like any other man the basics

If you divorce and had brought land house car Thai..... Yes she take around 50 %

But if they have there THAINESS chance they will take it all... There always a weak man

Me I die first and she knows better

Like buying meat at the market...what a fantastic analogy.

Atleast the OP is doing his Due Diligence before investing his cash.

Personally, I would advise against marrying a Thai woman...and I probably have one of the best ones. But then I would advise against marriage in general.

Its the majority of her family I had not properly anticipated.

Edited by ClutchClark