Marrying a Thai woman.

Samuel25241

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes no difference if you marry a Thai women in the UK or Thailand, under bilateral agreements it is a legal marriage and recognised by both Countries.

Under UK law assets are divided 50/50 regardless of the circumstances.

Under Thai law I believe only the assets acquired during marriage are divided 50/50.

I know a foreigner who lived in Thailand and married a Thai woman here, just months before he passed away.

He made a Will in the UK leaving his house and assets in the UK to his sole daughter.

He made a Will in Thailand leaving his Thai assets to his wife.

After he passed away she went through his things and contacted a UK lawyer with some of his details to see if she was entitled to more.

Under UK law she was entitled to half his UK assets by virtue of being his wife.

His daughter fought the claim through the Courts and lost.

As a result his bank a/c was frozen and his house is currently being sold.

A UK lawyer was appointed as an executor of the Will by the Court.

His Thai wife is just waiting for her half after deduction of legal fees.

She has never set foot in the UK.

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply of a removed post removed

I know a foreigner who lived in Thailand and married a Thai woman here, just months before he passed away.

He made a Will in the UK leaving his house and assets in the UK to his sole daughter.

After he passed away she went through his things and contacted a UK lawyer with some of his details to see if she was entitled to more.

Under UK law she was entitled to half his UK assets by virtue of being his wife.

That's sort of strange, as I was under the impression that in UK law, a marriage nullifies all wills made prior to the marriage.

And unless a new will is made, the new wife inherits everything.

No division of assets under UK law, spouse inherits all if death is intestate.

your obligations are your must be prepared to lose everything you have.

Perfect example of urban legend without any foundation and resumed in chorus by the pack. Give only one example to confirm your comments or agree to be named gossip peddler whistling.gif
In reality for the OP the thai laws are quite clear about this, any previous ownership in the marriage remains the property of each individual.
In contrast, posterior purchases are made in community even if they were acquired on behalf of one or the other. The only exception is the ground which can not belong to a stranger.
For individual bank accounts Thais. They are subject to common and shared only if they have been opened after the wedding. Note, after the first death thais individual accounts are automatically transferred to the survivor. Recall also that the values detained in foreign escape any specific Thai legislation.

Samuel25241

I have a question for you ... non-intrusive; you answer to yourself only.

Why are You choosing to get married:

is it to tie her down to you or she tying you down to her

all the rest is peripheral ... you - like everybody else posting, reading or making judgement on you (or me or anyone else) - has had or will have positive and negative experiences.

the success of your relationship is proportional (money aside) to what you put in.

Basically... grow up and wake up!

If you are not prepared to share (i.e. give) everything that you own to a woman. don't marry her.

Exactly. If you are already planning for the divorce, cut out the middle part where you get married. That will save all stress, worry and ultimate pain.

The OP's question is really, "Should I get married"? And the question is obviously self-answering.

Perfect example of urban legend without any foundation and resumed in chorus by the pack. Give only one example to confirm your comments or agree to be named gossip peddler whistling.gif
In reality for the OP the thai laws are quite clear about this, any previous ownership in the marriage remains the property of each individual.
In contrast, posterior purchases are made in community even if they were acquired on behalf of one or the other. The only exception is the ground which can not belong to a stranger.
For individual bank accounts Thais. They are subject to common and shared only if they have been opened after the wedding. Note, after the first death thais individual accounts are automatically transferred to the survivor. Recall also that the values detained in foreign escape any specific Thai legislation.

They can prosecute in the origin country for dibs (Australia - cannot comment for other country) - it has nothing whatsoever to do with Thai Law.

By simply being married they garner the benefit and full support of the Australian system and with out the safety net of a pre-nup your buggered.

I surmise that the OP being from UK would be subject to the same biased laws.

If that is the pack rising up in chorus it is based on hard won first hand experience - or knowing of an individual that has been subjected to same.

Why the f... you would go into a marriage planning for the likelihood of divorce beggars a whole raft of new questions - again the pack in chorus pointing out such idiocy...

I think it cost 30 or 40 baht to get legally married.. Plus some for the paperwork from U.K embassy smile.png

30 or 40 bht to get married - your life's savings to get divorced, do the math.....

Life savings less 30 baht, which you already spent on the wedding certificate..

haha my bad....

What a really sad topic. Don't get married if this is your main concern. If you really care for this new women, and you consider her a worthy life partner enough to get married,then you shouldn't give a dam about material things. Especially at this stage of the game,what ever happened to love?

Did you or would you think like this and ask a forum for advice on marrying a English woman,I don't think so. So why make marrying a Thai citizen like buying meat at the market.

Because of the many frustrating stories that we have heard about the treatment Thai women have given their farang husbands over the years.

What a really sad topic. Don't get married if this is your main concern. If you really care for this new women, and you consider her a worthy life partner enough to get married,then you shouldn't give a dam about material things. Especially at this stage of the game,what ever happened to love?

Did you or would you think like this and ask a forum for advice on marrying a English woman,I don't think so. So why make marrying a Thai citizen like buying meat at the market.

When people have assets they value & worked hard to obtain,

it's not beyond their right to protect what is theirs...

This is what prenuptial agreements are all about, yes?

I'm not sure how considering a prenuptial relates to buying meat @ the market.

I just don't see the comparison.

The fact that you assume the OP wouldn't consider the same protection or at least concerns;

if he were to marry an English woman,

seems a bit presumptuous, don't you think?

Just a consideration... before you assume what he would or wouldn't do,

perhaps you might want to ask him?

It's believed to be always good to protect what you've taken your whole life to make,

in the form of assets, as when you get older, if it's to be taken away from a relationship gone south,

you won't have the time to make it back.

To go into a relationship blind,

without any form of protection,

because today the love feels like the real thing,

which everyone hopes will last forever...

however forever is a very long time.

Is or can be, only setting yourself up to be a slave to the one you once loved with all your heart,

but now has found another to fill your space, or just decided to move on,

and you're stuck trying to keep her, or risk losing everything,

that is where being a slave part comes in.

No one wants to be in that type of situation, yes?

So protect yourself, as only then can you experiment freely and joyfully in this future relationship,

with all the positivity it may or might bring you both.

Another side note to consider, when a spouse doesn't know what your real worth might be,

or at least thinks your assets are only worth something while you remain alive & well,

then you stand a much better chance of living a long, health, happy life...

I agree with Topdeck. ...whatever really happened to love? Been married to a Thai woman in Thaiiand for more than five years. Haven't regretted one day of it. She brought quality family with her and this week we had yet another quality get-together. Stepdaughter was working, plus catching up on Uni stuff so could not make it..Money wise? It hasn't cost me more than while I was living in Australia. She's more careful in handling baht than I am.

Only do a registration on marriage in Thailand, not in your country, she can only take half what you have in Thailand in a divorce,

if you do not have houses, etc. on your wife name, then you loos that

Every thing you have in your home country, she can not touch. if you do not register the marriage there ;-)

Hope this help.

Good luck

all is depending on the Courtney you are from.

Marriage

in general the Thai marriage for the Thai law is a legal marriage that is valid in other countries as well. see the website

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Marriage_Convention

The Hague Convention on Celebration and Recognition of the Validity of Marriages or Hague Marriage Convention is a multilateral treaty developed by the Hague Conference on Private International Law that provides the recognition of marriages

more information and deeper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_matrimonial_law

Thailand did sign this as well most countries in the world that the expats are coming form of this forum

DIvorce

Regarding divorce all depend on the registration of the choice of right and if you did make exceptions to what is of whom.

In general Thai marriage is what is before is separated, during marriage is belonging of both.

So the house you have before marriage is yours.

the inheritance you got form your parents during marriage belong to your wife and you if the inheritance has no exception.

Not registering you marriage in your own country, if you are not emigrated, is in most countries a criminal offence and can also be seen as financial fraud by your government..

REGISTER THE CHOICE OF RIGHTS THAT APPLY ON THE MARRIAGE!

in general the location of the marriage applies to the marriage.

If you did make the official recognized registration of the pre marriage agreement about things like house, assets, debts and so on this will be effective on the date and time of the legal marriage.

In general after 10 year the choice of rights on the marriage that apply to the marriage are the right of the country one is registered and residence in.

Example:

You are married and both are British.

moving to The Netherlands than after 10 year automatically the Dutch marriage laws applies

moving to Thailand after 10 years automatically the Thai laws applies

To prevent this happening this can be done very easy by officially registering the law that applies to the Marriage in the country where one has official residence or is assuming to be residential. (YES be aware of the assuming to be residential status that can be applied too.)

Register choice of right that applies to t he marriage at the appropriator official organisation in the country and the right you want to apply will be on the marriage they will return to the confirmation of registration.

if you not register after 10 year automatically your marriage is applied to the new country it law. about this.

if you are married and you are for example British and the other is Thai than in general the the law of the location of marriage applies which will be in general Thai Law.

never the less to protect and be sure to it right and make the pre marriage documents to protect your assets and liability look after you right an register the rights at the office of the country. also register you marriage in the country of the passport you are barrier of.

As you see the game and rules about marriage are crisp and clear and in some countries when a ex-partner (in most cases the woman) can proof you live with her, she can successful claim when you are divorcing even without being married. like happened in the Netherlands recently.

Whish you all the wisdom and success.

Only do a registration on marriage in Thailand, not in your country, she can only take half what you have in Thailand in a divorce,

if you do not have houses, etc. on your wife name, then you loos that

Every thing you have in your home country, she can not touch. if you do not register the marriage there ;-)

Hope this help.

Good luck

all is depending on the Courtney you are from.

Marriage

in general the Thai marriage for the Thai law is a legal marriage that is valid in other countries as well. see the website

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Marriage_Convention

The Hague Convention on Celebration and Recognition of the Validity of Marriages or Hague Marriage Convention is a multilateral treaty developed by the Hague Conference on Private International Law that provides the recognition of marriages

more information and deeper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_matrimonial_law

Thailand did sign this as well most countries in the world that the expats are coming form of this forum

DIvorce

Regarding divorce all depend on the registration of the choice of right and if you did make exceptions to what is of whom.

In general Thai marriage is what is before is separated, during marriage is belonging of both.

So the house you have before marriage is yours.

the inheritance you got form your parents during marriage belong to your wife and you if the inheritance has no exception.

Not registering you marriage in your own country, if you are not emigrated, is in most countries a criminal offence and can also be seen as financial fraud by your government..

REGISTER THE CHOICE OF RIGHTS THAT APPLY ON THE MARRIAGE!

in general the location of the marriage applies to the marriage.

If you did make the official recognized registration of the pre marriage agreement about things like house, assets, debts and so on this will be effective on the date and time of the legal marriage.

In general after 10 year the choice of rights on the marriage that apply to the marriage are the right of the country one is registered and residence in.

Example:

You are married and both are British.

moving to The Netherlands than after 10 year automatically the Dutch marriage laws applies

moving to Thailand after 10 years automatically the Thai laws applies

To prevent this happening this can be done very easy by officially registering the law that applies to the Marriage in the country where one has official residence or is assuming to be residential. (YES be aware of the assuming to be residential status that can be applied too.)

Register choice of right that applies to t he marriage at the appropriator official organisation in the country and the right you want to apply will be on the marriage they will return to the confirmation of registration.

if you not register after 10 year automatically your marriage is applied to the new country it law. about this.

if you are married and you are for example British and the other is Thai than in general the the law of the location of marriage applies which will be in general Thai Law.

never the less to protect and be sure to it right and make the pre marriage documents to protect your assets and liability look after you right an register the rights at the office of the country. also register you marriage in the country of the passport you are barrier of.

As you see the game and rules about marriage are crisp and clear and in some countries when a ex-partner (in most cases the woman) can proof you live with her, she can successful claim when you are divorcing even without being married. like happened in the Netherlands recently.

Whish you all the wisdom and success.

so much information.....

much better off not getting married - with the money you save you can buy several Ducati Motorcycles and go on really cool holidays.....

In a world...(movie trailer begins)

Rubbish. And that goes for the charge of the "Like" brigade, too. Try Googling Thai matrimonial law or consulting one of the numerous free online sources of information, rather than the barrack room lawyers on ThaiVisa.

I've always found the best security is to never let a woman know you own anything, have any assets, property, savings.

If they don't know you have it, they can't ask a court for it.

Boasters risk everything.

Does she want the marriage, or you?

There is a Thai expression "palaya" which is apparently somewhere between a "mia noi" and a legal wife. Presumably something like a defacto, although defacto relationships are not recognised in Thailand. If they ever are, I expect a lot of bailouts.

My solution has been to have a will in Thai and English in Thailand, and a will in Australia. The assets in Australia are separate and unspecified.

The assets in Thailand are specified.

Marriage is something that's very easy to get into, but can be hell to get out of. Unless you plan to have children ( another responsibility ) I can't see any benefit to you, only to her.

That's sort of strange, as I was under the impression that in UK law, a marriage nullifies all wills made prior to the marriage.

And unless a new will is made, the new wife inherits everything.

No division of assets under UK law, spouse inherits all if death is intestate.

In the UK a marriage revokes a previous will. This means that it is possible the deceased died intestate.

If that happens then the wife will get all the personal property and belongings of the person who has died, and the first £250,000 of the estate, and half of the remaining estate.

The daughter gets the balance.

Meeting my Thai wife and living with her was the best thing in my life, Marrying was never a plan in my life. I could live very happy without it. But a woman want some security in life. So, marrying was a natural continuity. We got married for practical reasons, so we don't have to get a visa for her to go to my country (Europe) anymore. And she gets free (inexpensive) healthcare and social security just like me. My wife saved my life in a couple occasions. If I loose everything ? it would have been worth it....but loosing my wife would be a Disaster for me....We are together for 17 years now and it constantly gets better.... heaven on earth. It takes some time to adjust to each-other and each-other's culture in the beginning...

I remember of only two occasions in the beginning, were I was angry at her and we had words, and it was entirely my fault,...a cultural misunderstanding. My wife is always very polite even to people she don't like....she really is my better half.

She takes extremely well care of me, well educated, and she is a very good cook who always like to try new things.

I realise fully that I was very lucky to meet a person like that.

Best regards,and good luck...

Edited by off road pat