No booze sold today in Thailand as 'Wan Ok Phansa' goes dry

webfact

Believe it or not but they are doing this trying to get the Thai people to stay of the booze at least a couple a days a year. I also support this with banning the sale of alcohol close to schools, Monday morning I had 5 of my M.4 students puking outside the classroom thanks to hangover! I know that they can get alcohol further away but at least they must use more effort than just walk out of school to get the booze.

If anyone feels that not being able to drink alcohol for 5 days a year is a big deal then I would suggest Wat Tham Krabok or AA.

Underage drinking is a different issue altogether, so I fail to se the connection here. Preventing an adult of legal age from making the decision whether to drink or not to drink on a given day is absurd. The issue has nothing to do with whether someone can or can not go without alcohol for 5 days or even 5 hours, it is about one party forcibly imposing their will on another, effectively denying the latter to make a decision for his/herself/ Whether you choose to drink alcohol or not should be your decision alone.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So even hotels are not allowed to sell alcohol today?

Why does this come under the Department of Disease Control?

The article does seem to claim this, however the Nana Hotel was more than happy to sell me a Heineken in their ground floor restaurant just about an hour ago.

Funny reading the comments of people that scream alcoholic and respect, these measures have nothing do to with religion, respect for religion or people objecting to it being alcoholic.

These are silly measures that are not effective in whatever it is they are trying to achieve.

Believe it or not but they are doing this trying to get the Thai people to stay of the booze at least a couple a days a year. I also support this with banning the sale of alcohol close to schools, Monday morning I had 5 of my M.4 students puking outside the classroom thanks to hangover! I know that they can get alcohol further away but at least they must use more effort than just walk out of school to get the booze.

If anyone feels that not being able to drink alcohol for 5 days a year is a big deal then I would suggest Wat Tham Krabok or AA.

I'm quite capable of deciding for myself when and what I ingest.

Education is the key and the token moving of the "sales line" is just that, token.

Wowsers and religions imposing their beliefs on others is one of the biggest problem for this planet.

Congratulations to all of you who have sufficient quantities of alcohol at home to drink. I never drink at home but only as a social activity out in a pub with friends, so it would not help me at all. Had plans to do this today which had to be cancelled so I am a bit miffed.

It seems kind of ridiculous to ban alcohol on the days that marks the END of "Buddhist Lent". Maybe that's why past governments excluded it from the list of Buddhist holidays where alcohol was banned?

I doubt if there is a city,town or village in Thailand where alcohol cannot be bought today.

Quite sad when people can't show a little bit of respect for the country they live in and even sadder when people can't go one day without alcohol

Even sadder that a government deems its own citizens incapable of making decisions for themselves, and sadder still that a foreigner in the country deems it appropriate for Thais to have the decision making process bull and void. So who is really showing disrespect? Once again, it has nothing whatsoever to do with going "one day without alcohol", it is to do with respecting an individual's right to decide for themselves.

As far as replacement therapy goes, I'd rather tell them to start drinking battery acid than get addicted to religion, which both of you suggestions are a road to. Far less dangerous.

After working in my yard all day today, I felt like a beer about 5pm. My wife kindly sent her 6 year old nephew, on his bicycle, down to the lady under the big tree that sells beer and 5 minutes later he returned with 3 cold Leos.

What's wrong with this picture? Nothing. We are not alcoholics. It was hot and not having cold ones in the fridge, did the next best thing. Junior, get on your bike and please get 3 large beers. Thank you. He hates the stuff and all was well. Illegal? You bet your ass. Practical? You bet your ass. Nobody injured, nobody unhappy. TIT (in the countryside that is)

Hotels have always been excluded from alcohol bans

Seemingly not this time round though, from the OP

A law signed by Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha in February added the last day of Buddhist Lent, which normally is the full moon of the 11th lunar month, to the list. The amendment also removed an exception for hotels, yet kept intact that granted to airport duty free shops.

Well I can see airports being busy with one way soon...

But look at it another way, with so many alcohol bans Thailand could soon have it's dream come true... "Quality Tourists" Onlyclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

But then only a very small percentage of what it has now.

you didn't read it properly:

The amendment also removed an exception for hotels, yet kept intact that granted to airport duty free shops.

Well, it's not going to work and treating people like children often has a reverse effect. I imagine that you have five more children 'puking' outside the classroom tomorrow as well, regardless. Banning the sale of alcohol today will have absolutely no effect on that, I can assure you.

As far as replacement therapy goes, I'd rather tell them to start drinking battery acid than get addicted to religion, which both of you suggestions are a road to. Far less dangerous.

Plenty of battery acid, 'lao khao', on sale today, as far as I can see where I am! And MUCH safer than religion.

Sorry, cannot for a minute agree with the logic of banning the sale of alcohol anywhere. Making new rules, when laws are already in place to prevent the problem, isn't going to do anything but cause resentment and unrest.

If the emphasis is not placed on the shoulders to those selling alcohol to minors, then the only thing that is going to happen is business failure for the honest, law abiding patrons of said establishments.

This issue apparently hasn't even been considered by those in their ivory towers trying to make a difference to matters they fail to understand in the first place.

And for clarity, this rant is not because i am being deprived of alcohol; i haven't had a drink for the last 16 years, it is a rant in support of the persons trying to make a living and being kicked to the kerb/curb because of half thought out ideas.

Edit: As a matter of interest, what happened to your M4 students? What preventative actions were taken by the school?

When I was young it was common that the parents send the child in the supermarket to buy wine and cigarettes. And that generation could handle alcohol better than the protected. Drinking was no sign of being grown up, because you could just do it. No secrets. It wasn't complete trouble free but less than today.

Agree h90, i, like yourself used to go for the cigarettes and booze for the old man when i was underage.

Alas, the whole world it seems has changed since then. Probably being made worse by the very rules & regs that are meant to make it a better place..........sad.png

When it sinks in with those making the rules that restriction leads to rebellion then perhaps they will put the problem on the table again and rethink their strategy.

I was at my hotel in Bangkok on July 30-Aug1 getting ready to transit back to US. Turns out it was Buddhist Lent. Caught me by surprise. I couldn't get a beer until the last day. Surprised me that the hotel bars didn't even serve to guests. Lessons learned....check calendar next time

wrong the article says the ban extends to hotels now. Amendment. Only duty free shops at the airport are not banned.

Just came back from my favourite pizzeria in Pattaya, having my mandatory calzone - including two Singha beers.

This is also a part of Thainess which I absolutely appreciate: Give a <deleted> about the hypocritical orders given by their parasitic elite, elected or not.

no beer today at 7 11 in chiang khong and i was eating in thai restaurant and the police come because falang drink beer and ask the owner where they buy that and they ask them to take it out

Edited by thai006

If not drinking booze 5 days a year is going to upset your life style, I would suggest you find a new life style. coffee1.gif

Actually I think it's getting close to seven days a year now. Still one can do without many things and alcohol and cigarettes are on that list. Some may need a bit of willpower, some motivation, support from friends or family.

I doubt if there is a city,town or village in Thailand where alcohol cannot be bought today.

Quite sad when people can't show a little bit of respect for the country they live in and even sadder when people can't go one day without alcohol

It is not about a day without, it is about no notice before. What if you planned your wedding, band, food, and the lot? Think my friend, think..

It is not about a day without, it is about no notice before. What if you planned your wedding, band, food, and the lot? Think my friend, think..

The end of Buddhist lent has always been a 'dry day' as far as I can remember but this is the first time it's the law.

In previous years the police would 'request' that nobody sells alcohol and they enforced this request.

Alright, try and grasp this. It's not that hard. You're here on a week's holiday, and with no warning one of your vacation days is suddenly declared a no-alcohol, religious "holiday". Once again, "thainess" trumps common sense.

As usual, a ninth-grader could improve on this, and no adult supervision. No later than 30NOV of the preceding year, publish an official list of these bans for the following year.

Edited by hawker9000

If not drinking booze 5 days a year is going to upset your life style, I would suggest you find a new life style. coffee1.gif

Actually I think it's getting close to seven days a year now. Still one can do without many things and alcohol and cigarettes are on that list. Some may need a bit of willpower, some motivation, support from friends or family.

Haha, willpower ? No worries all is well on Silom Soi 4, alltough we do have to drink out of a paper cup. Nice tea money compromise.

Be more organised and don't leave things till the last minute.

Be prepared my friend be prepared