Confused-marriage Visa Rules!

Well, to me it appears that Thailand's immigration laws have taken a giant step towards equality ... now it seems that a foreign male, married to a Thai female, can get one-year-extensions if only the Thai-wife have (legal) income sufficient to support him.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lukamar, now I have no need to reply to Maestro in detail, some comments though Maestro:

I'm trying to put my mind into the way the way the visa bureaucrats we have to deal with think! Technically, I'm not sure if wife is or is not included in the definition of a family, nor do I really care, just making myself think like they do.

GeoffPhuket, many thanks for that. So, is the bottom line about whether you can show each year 800k in your account, in that, if you can only afford 400k, you apply for "O" and then apply for the extension?

I need to check but I do not think the 400k aspect is covered in the Thai Embassy/UK website?

Croydon

Yes, it is discrimination...
Thinking about it I realise that the financial requirement for support of spouse is not discrimination based on sex but based on nationality: foreign man supporting Thai wife must show proof of income, Thai man supporting foreign spouse must not.

Different rules for nationals and non-nationals are perfectly acceptable. No human rights violation or anything like it there.

---------------

Maestro

Thanks Lukamar, now I have no need to reply to Maestro in detail, some comments though Maestro:

I'm trying to put my mind into the way the way the visa bureaucrats we have to deal with think! Technically, I'm not sure if wife is or is not included in the definition of a family, nor do I really care, just making myself think like they do.

GeoffPhuket, many thanks for that. So, is the bottom line about whether you can show each year 800k in your account, in that, if you can only afford 400k, you apply for "O" and then apply for the extension?

I need to check but I do not think the 400k aspect is covered in the Thai Embassy/UK website?

Croydon

You are getting confused here - we all do at first so dont worry about it! I have just applied for my next so called 'marriage' visa-I have to do this once a year. I had to show 400k baht in the bank. YOU CANNOT do this now as all the visa rules changed on 1st October this year. YOU have to show you receive income from within Thailand (with a work permit) or from abroad. The amount you need per month is around 40000 baht. If you have time to read through this forum topic below you

will understand all about the visa information you will need and the background to all these recent changes. The topic is very long - about 26 pages but well worth the effort to read if you want to understand just why it is all so confusing to all of us at the moment. Good luck

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=86514&st=0

Croydon

You are getting confused here - we all do at first so dont worry about it! I have just applied for my next so called 'marriage' visa-I have to do this once a year. I had to show 400k baht in the bank. YOU CANNOT do this now as all the visa rules changed on 1st October this year. YOU have to show you receive income from within Thailand (with a work permit) or from abroad. The amount you need per month is around 40000 baht. If you have time to read through this forum topic below you

will understand all about the visa information you will need and the background to all these recent changes. The topic is very long - about 26 pages but well worth the effort to read if you want to understand just why it is all so confusing to all of us at the moment. Good luck

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=86514&st=0

In fact I just noticed the first page of that topic is 'correct' but will mislead you. It says you can get the marriage extension with 400k baht in the bank. That is ONLY for people like me that already have it! New requests for this marriage extension will require the monthly income. As you read through the forum topic you will see this is discussed from time to time and only becomes clear later on. These new rules are really 'hot off the press' and we are all trying to make sense of them!!!

Dfsbrit, it sounds like it might be easier just to go to your embassy and get a declaration

of the 40K a month than to go thru all the 400K wire transfer headache BUT

The clincher now is will immigration just take the decaration itself OR demand the declaration

AND the actual proof or pension/income. I hope they just want the declaration. I could make

the declaration lawfully as making 1000$ is very very easy.

Personally if push comes to shove i hope they will accept my income as a trader. But that could

be iffy especially if their goal is to cut down on the farang population. I am sure they

could turn into real nitpickers. Worse case i guess i could live 3 months in thai on a tourist

visa then go over to cambodia or somewhere else for 3 months and come back. My Mr Hyde

half is saying YES 3 months of cam girls yum. Dr Jeckyl wants to just be with the wife and live

a quiet life upcountry. But i guess both lifestyles intermixed would be fun, i would never get

bored.

regards

nam

Edited by Nam Kao

MARRIAGE VISA -- Marriage visas will continue to be issued and the balance shown in the bank will remain 400,000 baht. However, as of Oct. 1, the same 90-day bank account rule used for Retirement Visas will apply to Marriage Visas. In addition, Immigrantion will now periodically check that the applicant actually resides with his marriage partner. Those violating the banking rules will have their passports stamped with a 7-day visa and told to leave Thailand

WCA

I am 44, married to a thai for the past 6 years. I have a retirement pension of about 60,000 baht a month. Can I have a combination of cash on deposit and a pension to make up my 400k? Any suggestions is appreciated!

ncguy

You only need to have the pension. The $ in the bank criteria. no longer counts for new applicants.

After calling an Immigration lawyer today, he told me that the 400,000 Baht rule is still in place.

(yesterday no problem at Bangkok Immigration).

WCA

Just left Bangkok Immigration. They confirmed it's still the case and will remain the case, no new applications will be accepted with the foreigners simply having 400K in the bank. If you are grandfathered meaning "the said foreign national has entered Thailand before this Order is enforced and the foreign national has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom by the result of having married to a Thai wife" then this does not applied.

By the way, a simple "O" visa (obtained at a Embassy/Consulate does not count towards the exemption, its the application for the extension prior to Oct 1st, 2006.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Conflicting information :o

I understand, its conflicting. I posted the facts now at this moment. This quote

Marriage visas will continue to be issued and the balance shown in the bank will remain 400,000 baht.[/color] However, as of Oct. 1, the same 90-day bank account rule used for Retirement Visas will apply to Marriage Visas. In addition, Immigrantion will now periodically check that the applicant actually resides with his marriage partner. Those violating the banking rules will have their passports stamped with a 7-day visa and told to leave Thailand

WCA

was in Pattaya Today and is simply mistaken info for new applicants. I could understand how the misunderstanding could take place.

I went personally to Bangkok Immigration and they were adamant that they have had numerous meetings on this, no new applications are being accepted based on just having 400K in the bank. ( Unless the applicant has a current extension of stay based on support of a Thai national)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Sunbelt,

Please can you clarify 2 things for me. I have extended for 3 years now on marriage to Thai wife and am due my 4th extension in December. My bank account has recently been topped up to meet the 400,000 baht requirement. However it will be less than 90 days before my visit to Immigration. What is likely to happen?

In addition, do Immigration allow a mix of income and bank balance for Marriage Visa as they do for Retirement Visa. Thanks.

Please can you clarify 2 things for me. I have extended for 3 years now on marriage to Thai wife and am due my 4th extension in December. My bank account has recently been topped up to meet the 400,000 baht requirement. However it will be less than 90 days before my visit to Immigration. What is likely to happen?

If they follow the letter of the law, you will have a problem. If they use discretion, you will be told to keep 400K prior to reapplying next year and given the extension.

In addition, do Immigration allow a mix of income and bank balance for Marriage Visa as they do for Retirement Visa. Thanks.

For those visa holders, prior to Oct 1st 2006, up to the officer’s discretion. For new applicants, the answer is no.

PS>.. a big Thanks to Sunbelt for all the information

You are welcome.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

[

Im now confused so let me ask again in case i missed it.

Im currently working here in thailand, making over 40k per month with all permits. I actualy want to take a year or so off work.

My wife is Thai and makes much more than i do with her job.

Can we in fact use her funds from Thailand showing she makes well over 100k per month to show we have income to support? Can a Thai wife in fact support her western husband?

Last time we had asked, the man laughed saying no Thai wife can support a man as its not the culture here.....

I would love to have a PM from anyone able to clear this up or with personal exp now with the rules in that regards.

Mark

Can someone clarify for me incase I am missing something.

I have a non-B visa it is my second 1 year visa just renewed in the UK 3 months ago, but I am not working as I am looking for something to do. Last month on the 12th sept I applied for a extension on the basis of marraige (got married 3 months ago) and I have to go back on the 12th Oct. They have already been out to the house and checked everything and I will go in 1 week to see if they are giving me the 1 year extension. I had to show the 400000baht in the bank which was ok. Now my question from what I have just read next year they will not extend my visa again unless I am working. What can I do? I am 33 years old and do not work in Thailand or the UK, I send money over from the UK ( I have money in the bank in the UK) every year and live of that. Will they next year not give me a new years extension unless I am working and paying taxes? If so what are my options? I dont work am too young for a retirement visa so the marraige route is the only option for me to get a 1 year extension. Will I have to go back to the UK and get a 1 year marraige visa instead of a business visa and then do 90 day visa runs again? Or do I bugger of back to the UK and take the wife.

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Edited by sinkorswim

Im now confused so let me ask again in case i missed it.

Im currently working here in thailand, making over 40k per month with all permits. I actualy want to take a year or so off work.

My wife is Thai and makes much more than i do with her job.

Can we in fact use her funds from Thailand showing she makes well over 100k per month to show we have income to support? Can a Thai wife in fact support her western husband?

Last time we had asked, the man laughed saying no Thai wife can support a man as its not the culture here.....

I would love to have a PM from anyone able to clear this up or with personal exp now with the rules in that regards.

Mark

National Police Office Order No. 606/2006

(6) In case of the applicant who is married to a Thai wife, one of them or both of them need to have the total annual income that is averaged out not less than 40,000 Baht per month.

Can we in fact use her funds from Thailand showing she makes well over 100k per month to show we have income to support?

Yes

Can a Thai wife in fact support her western husband?

Yes

Our firm has already done it for a client, since Oct 1st, 2006.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I have a non-B visa it is my second 1 year visa just renewed in the UK 3 months ago, but I am not working as I am looking for something to do. Last month on the 12th sept I applied for a extension on the basis of marraige (got married 3 months ago) and I have to go back on the 12th Oct. They have already been out to the house and checked everything and I will go in 1 week to see if they are giving me the 1 year extension. I had to show the 400000baht in the bank which was ok. Now my question from what I have just read next year they will not extend my visa again unless I am working. What can I do? I am 33 years old and do not work in Thailand or the UK, I send money over from the UK ( I have money in the bank in the UK) every year and live of that. Will they next year not give me a new years extension unless I am working and paying taxes? If so what are my options? I dont work am too young for a retirement visa so the marraige route is the only option for me to get a 1 year extension. Will I have to go back to the UK and get a 1 year marraige visa instead of a business visa and then do 90 day visa runs again? Or do I bugger of back to the UK and take the wife.

Now my question from what I have just read next year they will not extend my visa again unless I am working.

Not correct...

(6) In case of the applicant who is married to a Thai wife, one of them or both of them need to have the total annual income that is averaged out not less than 40,000 Baht per month. Except for the case that the said foreign national has entered Thailand before this Order is enforced and the foreign national has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom by the result of having married to a Thai wife, then if the applicant does not have the said income, then, the latest 3 months records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money not less than 400,000 Baht.

As you applied before this order was enforced ( Oct. 1st, 2006), the income requirement does not apply to you.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Now my question from what I have just read next year they will not extend my visa again unless I am working.

Not correct...

(6) In case of the applicant who is married to a Thai wife, one of them or both of them need to have the total annual income that is averaged out not less than 40,000 Baht per month. Except for the case that the said foreign national has entered Thailand before this Order is enforced and the foreign national has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom by the result of having married to a Thai wife, then if the applicant does not have the said income, then, the latest 3 months records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money not less than 400,000 Baht.

As you applied before this order was enforced ( Oct. 1st, 2006), the income requirement does not apply to you.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Ok thanks for that. I was a bit worried as I did apply before the 1st Oct but I will not get the actual extension until maybe the 12th this month if not later.

If they follow the letter of the law, you will have a problem. If they use discretion, you will be told to keep 400K prior to reapplying next year and given the extension.

For those visa holders, prior to Oct 1st 2006, up to the officer’s discretion. For new applicants, the answer is no.

PS>.. a big Thanks to Sunbelt for all the information

You are welcome.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

To Sunbelt again.

Thanks for the response concerning the 90 period in advance for savings of 400,000 in a Thai bank. Hopefully discretion will be applied.

Is this a new rule introduced from October 1st 2006 as it has never been mentioned to me before?

If it is would it not be unfair to apply this rule to those who need to do their annual extension renewal within the next 90 days like myself. Do you think there will be any provision for this as far as instructing Immigration officials is concerned.

Would appreciate any confirmation of this from your contacts at Immigration.

One other related point. If Immigration follow the letter of the law concerning 90 day bank balances and I use the income option instead will I still be able to choose the bank balance option in subsequent yearly renewals?

The main question for me is how the income can be proven. I have lived and worked in various countries, I will get pension, income from investment and private pensions from life insurance from different countries, but the state pensions will not reach the 40000 THB. All income together will exceed 40000 THB by far, but how do I prove the income (I'm over 50 too)? The income is, except for a small amount, not taxable according to the laws of the countries where I get it.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

All is starting to become clearer, possibly because I've just found my specs :D

How is this 40k per month determined? Is it required to be paid in Thailand, remitted to Thailand or is an overseas salary paid to a foreign account acceptable.

Does one have to pay tax against this amount in order to be eligable?

Questions, questions :o

Edited by Crossy

I have read all of this thread and I am still slightly confused on what to do!

As a bit of background I am 33 and I am getting married next week, well registering the marriage anyway - ceremony in Feb :o . My soon to be wife is pregnant and will be finishing work in the next couple of weeks as the baby is due at the end of November. I have been offered some work from her boss and he will apply for a work permit for me after I have got my non im O visa from Penang at the end of the month. But I doubt that my wage will make up 40,000 Baht (although jointly it would have).

I have some money in the UK, easily enough to cover the 40,000 Baht a month for a fair few years. But we are thinking of moving back to the UK next Summer when the baby is old enough to fly and its a bit warmer to start with.

question - is it worth bothering with the 1 year extension? could I get multiple 3 month non im O visas? After going to Penang to get the first is there anyway I could get the second without leaving the country?

It seems that by the time I get my extension it will be time to leave. But if I was to apply for it, could I set a standing order to transfer the required money to a Thai bank account and get that verified by the UK embassy? (this money would not have been earned during the year, but it had been at some point in time?!)

any other sudgestions on what to do? I have one border run to do this weekend before sorting everything out to go to penang later in the month.

Cheers,

Edited by johnong

I have read all of this thread and I am still slightly confused on what to do!

As a bit of background I am 33 and I am getting married next week, well registering the marriage anyway - ceremony in Feb :o . My soon to be wife is pregnant and will be finishing work in the next couple of weeks as the baby is due at the end of November. I have been offered some work from her boss and he will apply for a work permit for me after I have got my non im O visa from Penang at the end of the month. But I doubt that my wage will make up 40,000 Baht (although jointly it would have).

I have some money in the UK, easily enough to cover the 40,000 Baht a month for a fair few years. But we are thinking of moving back to the UK next Summer when the baby is old enough to fly and its a bit warmer to start with.

question - is it worth bothering with the 1 year extension? could I get multiple 3 month non im O visas? After going to Penang to get the first is there anyway I could get the second without leaving the country?

It seems that by the time I get my extension it will be time to leave. But if I was to apply for it, could I set a standing order to transfer the required money to a Thai bank account and get that verified by the UK embassy? (this money would not have been earned during the year, but it had been at some point in time?!)

any other sudgestions on what to do? I have one border run to do this weekend before sorting everything out to go to penang later in the month.

Cheers,

I'm not sure that showing money coming in from abroad is sufficient. Even if it was it would probably have to be classified as income and therefore taxed (which is probably not what you want).

If, for example, you have a house in the UK that you rent out through an agency, then the agency will charge a fee (say 10%) and will also retain 25% of the rent to submit to the UK government as tax (they have to). That means you will get 65% of that money in Thailand. If you classified it as income the Thai government would probably tax you on it and you would then have to claim the money (25%) back from the UK government at a later date. Assuming you were renting the UK place out at 1000 pounds a month, you would get 650 (- about 30 quid in exchange fees) in Thai baht = 43,400 baht, which would then cost you about 3k baht in Thai tax.

I haven't tried this, so it's just theory, but seems like a lot of hassle (and if you can rent out a place at 1000/month, you probably have a mortgage to pay in the UK!).

I am seeing more and more obstacles and potential problems to staying in Thailand (and I'm married to a Thai with 2 kids). In order to get a WP I can't have the word 'consultant' in my application (it is at the moment), I also have to have 4 Thais working for me (I don't right now). I have to have money in the bank to pay my salary for 1 year! (which would have to be profit in this years accounts (taxable), or maybe I can loan it back to the company, either way a pain). In order to pay myself and my staff, I have to go, in person, to the company's home branch and withdraw money, using my company seal, then deposit into my personal account at the same branch - cannot do electronically. This effectively makes it very difficult for me to 'work' outside Bangkok, where my company bank account was created.

The 400k in the bank is not that much of a problem for me, except that if it is accessible by the wife it will be gone in much less than 3 months! (Does anyone else spend 20k a month on baby clothes?)

The Thai Immigration department/Government should allow the 400k to be in Thai stocks or approved funds. The kickbacks they would get from Thai investment companies would be enormous, it would strongly benefit the thai stockmarket and potentially provide dividends and/or capital growth for the investor. The stated aim of the 400k was to show ability to support your spouse, there is no requirement to spend the money. Perhaps some creative bank should launch a 'bank account' that is acceptable to Immigration, but behind the scenes is actually an investment fund.

Sunbelt Asia - regarding having the 400,000 baht in a bank account 3 months before renewal you posted earlier:

'Today they were being told this..."will need to meet the requirement when they renew again in another year"

This would make sense since there was no prior requirement that the 400,000 baht deposit could not be used during the year for living expenses and many I'm sure currently will have less than the 400,000 when they go to renew.

However, you have since posted:

"If they follow the letter of the law, you will have a problem. If they use discretion, you will be told to keep 400K prior to reapplying next year and given the extension."

Have you found out anymore about this?

I thought the money in the bank was supposed to prove that you could provide for you and your spouse and not be a burden on society. I can see that, but if I have enough money to do that and I am happy to deposit the required amount in a Thai bank account each month, I don't see that there could be a problem. But there obviously is.

I have sold my house in the UK and while having enough money for a deposit on a new one when we return, I have set aside an amount to spend the next 7 or 8 months looking after my new child. What seemed very easy a couple of months ago now looks like this will be very difficult / expensive in travel / visa costs.

Do you need to show an outward bound flight when applying for a 90 day non immigrant O visa btw?!

At the end of it all we will have to go through the British visa application process - that I guess is not going to be very nice due to the current situation there!

To Sunbelt again.

Thanks for the response concerning the 90 period in advance for savings of 400,000 in a Thai bank. Hopefully discretion will be applied.

Is this a new rule introduced from October 1st 2006 as it has never been mentioned to me before?

New rule since Oct 1st 2006

If it is would it not be unfair to apply this rule to those who need to do their annual extension renewal within the next 90 days like myself. Do you think there will be any provision for this as far as instructing Immigration officials is concerned.

As of now, they are still approving people, even if they have not met the 90 day rule. This is a case by case situation though

One other related point. If Immigration follow the letter of the law concerning 90 day bank balances and I use the income option instead will I still be able to choose the bank balance option in subsequent yearly renewals?

yes

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt Asia - regarding having the 400,000 baht in a bank account 3 months before renewal you posted earlier:

'Today they were being told this..."will need to meet the requirement when they renew again in another year"

This would make sense since there was no prior requirement that the 400,000 baht deposit could not be used during the year for living expenses and many I'm sure currently will have less than the 400,000 when they go to renew.

However, you have since posted:

"If they follow the letter of the law, you will have a problem. If they use discretion, you will be told to keep 400K prior to reapplying next year and given the extension."

Have you found out anymore about this?

They are still using discretion. Just was responding to the posters " What if, in the future? "

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

This should be more than a little worrisome to everyone that they are "using discretion" to decide who they will accept and who they won't under the 3 month requirement. They easily could of and should have put it in writing that anyone currently covered under the 400,000 baht requirement would have time to conform to any new balance requirement change.

Using discretion means someone can report at renewal time and run into an immigration officer who for any number of reasons, can deny him his extension. If this isn't scary stuff I don't know what is.

An earlier post by Sunbelt Asia stated they were told the reason for eliminating the 400,000 baht bank account deposit and wanting to see 40,000 monthly income instead, was because very little in taxes are paid on the money held in the bank accounts.

My question is why isn't having sufficient funds to live on and support a Thai family good enough anymore? On top of that, farangs pump thousands of baht each month into the local economy which goes to support other Thais both directly and indirectly.

In a country when there are not enough jobs for the locals and 10,000 baht a month especially upcountry is considered a good wage, how many farangs are going to be able to find work and legitimately earn 40,000 per month and doing what?

My guess is there are a number of married foreigners with businesses who aren't making 40,000 baht a month and are going to have to start claiming they do (pay taxes on phantom income) to get their visa renewed. Then there are others that make 40,000 and above that were claiming a lot less who are going to start paying.

Another thing, since the difference in taxes paid on 800,000 baht (retirement visa) in a bank account is not much more than the 400,000 marriage requirement, it may be just a matter of time before they get around to that one next.

The handwriting is on the wall. Come visit, spend all your money, and then get out. Of course, if you got plenty of money, don't mind being taken advantage of and like to gamble you won't be next- you can stay. That is for now at least.

Can someone help me,

So if i cant get the marriage visa - can i do a perpetual flight to KL or Penang every 3 months

to get a 60 +30 day tourist visa?

It sounds like they are just targeting the 30 runners.

They dont mind if you stay on babck to back tourist visas ?????????????

Any idea how much a trip to KL or Penang runs???

thanks

appreciate

nam

Back to my glue bag.....

I would sugest anyone visiting a immigration office to get a haircut/shave and dress your

best, sounds like they are targeting the farang kee nok types when it comes to "descretion"

This is what I do normally when I go to Suan Phlu to renew my (wife) support visa. Clean white shirt, long trousers, haircut shave etc.

Take my ticket and wait in the queue with all my documents plus my wife and son, smile a lot, say little and be polite.

It works for me.

:D

hi all

i have read through all this thread exhaustively, thanks to SBA for a sound legal approach

fyi

i got my first marriage extension a year ago and have to renew in 2 weeks. i used an international law firm to help me through the hoops. it was expensive but very helpful for a first timer. i would recommend any similar first timer to use a lawyer because its pretty daunting first time round - but thats just my opinion :o this time i shall DIY at suan phlu bkk

The lawyer told me that when i come to renew my visa my wife must be present and she will face the same gruelling interview as we had first time round - I dont see that mentioned anywhere on this thread??????????

Is this correct?

second point, the home visit. if resident in bkk then entirely practicable but we live up country 2 hours from khorat - the nearest (newly opened ) immigration office.

Are they going to start trying to visit all of us wierdos who live out in the jungle (assuming they can find us)

how will they have the staff to do this? and what about the expense of travelling long distances, and if they are doing spot checks and you are out and about?

Any ideas on this one?

My wife says stop worrying its just another stoopid thai man's idea of popular government. I tell her that she is not a flang and has no idea of how spiteful beurocrats can be to us (especially as they are not getting any tea money anymore - how can they live on a government wage?) :D

As long as you use the marriage extension of stay the wife will have to apply with you and will be asked questions. Normal and nothing new about that.

The home check may be made by local police upcountry - but it seems they are getting very serious about doing the check (although do not believe most people will even be aware of it). Don't forget you also have to report your current address every 90 days when in Thailand. They will find you - Thai have national ID card system and they have her ID card number.