Prayut warns he may stay longer in office if opposing political groups refuse to stop fighting

webfact

He is right....better than having some red mob burning downtown Bangkok again.

Better less democracy than deads on the street.

Why didn't this logic apply when the reds were in power? The yellows were very keen on the right to protest a few years ago... what happened to that? Thailand could have peace if the yellows accepted (elected) red government.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A false,ignorant and hateful alternative.A proper democracy in Thailand would remove the conflict between the privileged few and the majority.In any case it is the military and their backers who have been primarily responsible for the deaths of those fighting for democracy.It is a constant theme of Thai history since the 1970's.

There is no choice between military and proper democracy....that was tried last time already.

The choice is between Prayut and some privileged few bring stability and property without democracy.

Or the Shinawatra clan and its cronies take everything into their pocket with minimal democracy.

No one ever claimed that the army burned down the houses in Bangkok. They protected them and got shot at...enough army died.

yes in the 1970s it was different, but we are in other millennium and no one from the 1970 generals is anywhere near power (OK, Chavalit maybe but on the Thaksin side).

The murderous corrupt minority now is essentially the same as the murderous corrupt minority in the 1970's.Instead of support from the Red Gaurs they now have large elements of the Sino Thai urban middle class.

How did the lyric go from The Clashes hit ........

Should I stay or should I go?

If you say that you are mine

I'll be here 'til the end of time

So you got to let me know

Should I stay or should I go?

You're happy when I'm on my knees

One day is fine and next is black

So if you want me off your back

Well come on an' let me know

Should I Stay or should I go?

Should I stay or should I go now?

If I go there will be trouble

An' if I stay it will be double

So come on and let me know..... blah, blah, blah

That is good news and good to hear. I hope he stays for ten more years. The country is actually functioning, well, at least as well as can be expected here. Sure as heck better then under the so called "democracies" that paraded through here the last 20 years. Screw the western govts and their opinions, they should look to their own broken govts before telling others how to run theirs. Some groups don't work well nor actually want nor need "democracies". This country worked quite well in the 1970's and 80's under the various Generals in charge, well, enough to take off as an "Asian Tiger". People tend to forget that. Things only went pear shaped when so called "democracy" was implemented and one corrupt and purchased "democratic" govt after another took charge and raped the populace. Keep the Generals, the people are happier and the place actually works.

In the threads, there was an interesting comparison between the situation in Thailand and in Singapore. But there is really little to compare other than an authoritarian politician was replaced with his son. Singapore embarked on a progressive social and economic program to provide adequate housing, education, a good environment and a vibrant economy. There is no such comparison or parallel in Thailand.

The economy has deteriorated under Prayuth and statements that he will stay on as long as necessary will do nothing to enhance investor confidence or bring sorely needed FDI. Initiating transportation projects, rail and roads, seems to be the centerpiece of revitalizing Thailand's economy. What about housing for the poor, revamping the education system, and Thais actually learning to speak English? Many of the economic stimulus measures still rely on migrant labor and do not provide enhanced wages to provide a better standard of living for Thai people. There are many ways to see that a rising tide raised all boats. Populism always has a place in providing a better standard of living for the people who need it most. Clearing people off the canals and the markets may make environmental sense but what is being done to see that these people have a new livelihood or adequate shelter? Unfortunately, these serious issues are absent from the political debate.

There is peace in Thailand , nobody rocks the boat . Keep writing constitutions that would never be accepted by the people , no problem , no need for a general election , or risking the danger that a north and northeastern political party would win . He is right that Thais have no manners , it is regrettable that people won't shake hands and smile . I guess that being a self appointed PM of a military junta has its price to pay .

Quiz time again.

Which group in Thailand has killed more Thais AND caused more property destruction in the past 50 years than any oth.... scratch that... than ALL the other groups in Thailand combined?

That is good news and good to hear. I hope he stays for ten more years. The country is actually functioning, well, at least as well as can be expected here. Sure as heck better then under the so called "democracies" that paraded through here the last 20 years. Screw the western govts and their opinions, they should look to their own broken govts before telling others how to run theirs. Some groups don't work well nor actually want nor need "democracies". This country worked quite well in the 1970's and 80's under the various Generals in charge, well, enough to take off as an "Asian Tiger". People tend to forget that. Things only went pear shaped when so called "democracy" was implemented and one corrupt and purchased "democratic" govt after another took charge and raped the populace. Keep the Generals, the people are happier and the place actually works.

Good post, couldn't have put it better myself!!

Most of the dead on the streets of Bangkok were caused by the military. Think October 1973 and 1976, May 1992 and April-May 2010. If I count the dead outside of Bangkok like the Red Drum Murders in Phatthalung 1965-1974 they go into the thousands.

This is a part of a cycle that began in the 1930's. The exact same thing over and over again. Nothing new. Only a few of the players has changed.........So its been going on way before any of us ever thought to come to Thailand. So why do people act like it is so terrible. OR ......maybe most just come here to live after really not doing any homework........

The people are happier you say.

Tell that to the fishermen, rice farmers, rubber farmers, small mom and pop shops along the sois who are having their businesses demolished and various other Thai people and lets see if they agree that the people are happier. The only people that are happier are the elites.

Quiz time again.

Which group in Thailand has killed more Thais AND caused more property destruction in the past 50 years than any oth.... scratch that... than ALL the other groups in Thailand combined?

So you like quizzes, do you.

Which group(s) in the US has killed more citizens than anyone else and are still doing it?

I will grovel at your feet if you get this right.

Edited by lucky11

The country has been running better than when under Yingluck & prior"democratic" Gov'ts & PM Prayut has & is doing a good job.

Realistically,there has been little change to day to day living & in some respects has improved.

Yes, I know, the "naysayers" will say,"keep taking the medicine" !!

Can you give a single example of how the country is "running better"?

The economy is far far worse. Infrastructure projects STILL haven't taken off. Thai airlines are being investigated and blacklisted. Thai fishing is being investigated and blacklisted. The government is sending journalists to attitude adjustment for not writing what they want. Students are being arrested for eating sandwiches. The internet is being <deleted> with. Corruption is still rampant. The work of Prayut-appointed legislative bodies has thus far gone no where. Thai universities rankings continue to fall. Thai business rankings continue to fall. No progress has been made in the South.

but hey, we got Chinese tourists

intheclub.gif

The people are happier you say.

Tell that to the fishermen, rice farmers, rubber farmers, small mom and pop shops along the sois who are having their businesses demolished and various other Thai people and lets see if they agree that the people are happier. The only people that are happier are the elites.

At least he's consistent in the rubbish he speaks. The Thai economy was at it's worst in the 70s and 80s. It did far better in the 60s and 90s but why let facts stand in anyone's way.

Doesn't seem like i can get the link to work but if you search for Thailand’s Economic Growth: A Fifty-Years Perspective (1950-2000) you'll see the true picture.

Edited by Lorn

Your ignorance is astounding. But hey, everyone gets an opinion.

As long as it doesn't go against the Junta's.

Look what junta apologism has sunk to: the I'm Alright Jack brigade with their "business to run" and their 'better no democracy for a quiet life...'

The spineless, the suckers, the morally bankrupt.

Absolutely correct response - typical self-centred, selfish individuals who don't give a fig for the poor or under-privileged. Be interesting to trace their family's ancestral history. How did they gain their current wealth and privilege? Did their predecessors have to fight for it or was it inherited in some way?

Prayut is an idiot, as he cannot see the falacy of his statement. All the while he says he wants peace and quiet, yet fails to see, hear or take note of the rising undercurrent of unrest and dissatisfaction with his rule. Or perhaps he just does not care.

Thailand is headed for a civil war. The question is not if, but when. How much longer will the people continue to tolerate this dictator?

On the plus side, 50 baht per US$ here we come.

A huge surprise, to- nobody!

He is merely telling people to behave themselves...........or else!! thumbsup.gif

They decide on how long he stays as it all depends on whether they continue to be naughty boys and girls and keep throwing their toys out the pram.

You have got to give him credit, he is doing a magnificent job regards taming corruption with the way he has gone after them.

You're being sarcastic, right? Why is Praween fearing for his life for speaking out about the so called elimination of trafficking that never happened, and is in fact ongoing, because too many military generals are profiting from it? Get a clue. Some of you blink.png

Look what junta apologism has sunk to: the I'm Alright Jack brigade with their "business to run" and their 'better no democracy for a quiet life...'

The spineless, the suckers, the morally bankrupt.

Absolutely correct response - typical self-centred, selfish individuals who don't give a fig for the poor or under-privileged. Be interesting to trace their family's ancestral history. How did they gain their current wealth and privilege? Did their predecessors have to fight for it or was it inherited in some way?

Growing rice in Thailand is akin to building a brewery in Saudi Arabia for domestic consumption only!!

Is it surprising that the poor don't improve their lot when their primary income consists of growing something that loses them money and requires government subsidies of every tax payer's money to help them and their families survive.

Why don't they try something else and stop being liabilities for the nation. They could then afford to buy rice from India, Vietnam etc: to provide for their families.

I am not being heartless, just realistic given the circumstances.

The country has been running better than when under Yingluck & prior"democratic" Gov'ts & PM Prayut has & is doing a good job.

Realistically,there has been little change to day to day living & in some respects has improved.

Yes, I know, the "naysayers" will say,"keep taking the medicine" !!

Are you insane...

Economy is nosediving.. The worst performer in ASEAN.. Imports off what ?? 40%.. FDI crashing..

Nightlife in the north in tatters.. new rules and impositions everywhere.. businesses closing at a faster rate than anything since 97..